MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fuck Or Get Fucked By Distortion Pedals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fuck Or Get Fucked By Distortion Pedals
slow_riot
get a good quality cassette deck with three heads. they have a head after the recording head which allows you to monitor the recorded signal.

= real time stereo tape saturation

cheaper than a distortion pedal and mine has balanced in out so sits happily amongst my other gear. no ground or other noises.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha
theabsent
: ) I should replace my 20+ dist pedals with tape machines. Propably not.
slow_riot
well it's got me excited that's for sure. I didn't have much luck using distortion pedals with synths and this method gives very useable compression/saturation without overtaking everything, as well as not adding any noticeable noise or hum.

Obviously it's not going to replace distortion pedals but it's given me extremely satisfying results, and given the fact I have a used cassette deck it's extremely cheap.
krz
Try a cassette 4-track!
slow_riot
i'm using a portastudio 144 as a basic mixer but it doesn't do the real time thing like the 3 head cassette decks unless I'm mistaken? All my stuff is real time so bouncing and recording is not an option for tracking.
wavecircle
Drum machines sound amazing on cassette.
rafe127
wavecircle wrote:
Drum machines sound amazing on cassette.

Ever listen to Reanimator? love

Hey slow_riot what brand is your fancy new tape deck?
slow_riot
Denon DN790-R which was a recommendation ahead of more well known brands like Nakamuchi (sp?) On Ebay America they're more expensive than I would justify. I got mine for about 150 pounds.

I had a phase of being totally fucking annoyed to hell with computers and was going to record with it, but made my peace with digital recently and the deck has been unused. Remember reading about the monitor function but never used it until yesterday. Great sound.
hollowman
slow_riot wrote:
get a good quality cassette deck with three heads. they have a head after the recording head which allows you to monitor the recorded signal.

= real time stereo tape saturation

cheaper than a distortion pedal and mine has balanced in out so sits happily amongst my other gear. no ground or other noises.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Of course tape saturation and distortion are to different thing though.....
You did realise that didn't you?
Tape saturation "can" distort, but that isn't what a distortion pedal aims for.
theabsent
Boss BX-8/BX-16. Mixer that can't output a clean wave. Really fun sounds.
slow_riot
hollowman wrote:

Hey, yeah the title was stupid. I was just super excited.

It was just that I found a sound that was really incredible, that distortion units never really worked that well for.

I apologise to any distortion units that I may have offended with this thread.
hollowman
slow_riot wrote:
hollowman wrote:

Hey, yeah the title was stupid. I was just super excited.

It was just that I found a sound that was really incredible, that distortion units never really worked that well for.

I apologise to any distortion units that I may have offended with this thread.

lol
just checking. thumbs up
but yeah- tape saturation can be ace It's motherfucking bacon yo
dkcg
I think many distortion pedals are going for tube saturation.

Although a Distressor might make a hell of an overkill, er overdrive pedal. hihi

Most my distortion pedals work in conjunction with the tube amp, mainly overdriving the input, smoothing out a fuzz, etc.

i have an old crappy Seck-62 mixer that's pure crap, but great for getting overdriven distortion. Rarely use it, mainly due to how much space it takes.

If you told me when I got my first electric guitar that I would one day have over a dozen distortion pedals I would have laughed, today I wish I had just one more. lol
dude
i though this thread was going to be about how fucking irritating it is to look at pedal sites with seemingly hundreds of various distortion pedals. i think it is ridiculous.
patilon
lol
slow_riot
dude wrote:
i though this thread was going to be about how fucking irritating it is to look at pedal sites with seemingly hundreds of various distortion pedals. i think it is ridiculous.

it is one thing that put me off the distortion world somewhat. I used a Devi Ever pedal, and all of her range are derivatives of 3 designs I think. It somewhat puts me off even though I really liked what they did (through guitar at least).

Synths are a different story, and for me you have almost infinite tone control already and lots of distortion pedals don't really collaborate with that. Plus the pedals I used were crappy to use with expensive synth products, as they required lots of attenuation or DI ing or something, and often had really high noise floors and running from batteries or shitty 9V supplies they don't cut it for me.

The BugBrand DD3 inspired by the Ratt Distortion was cool.

Tube distortion is another option, I was looking at something from this man: http://www.tube-electronics.co.uk/studiogear.htm but I'm going to push this tape thing first. It suits me very nicely.
slow_riot
RE: DKCG, I'm the same with a never ending process of expansion, I made all kinds of statements about not being one of those guys with walls of modular but I ended up doing it! It's a never ending balancing act of expanding and contracting.
metasonix
Fear not, the distortion pedals will fuck you right back. razz

Anyone who buys a solid-state pedal and expects to get "tube sound" out of it is a moron. Tape saturation is nice, but it doesn't sound like tube distortion either.
SubliminalSandwich
Eric im with you on that one!

I wanted a thermionic culture rooster, i wanted a culture vulture.. then i realised i didnt have £3500 :(

But i _did_ have an R-51! smile and been using to process a condenser microphone get some tube sound on my vocals (and obligatory feedback).. very pleasing results..

I _do_ have an Evol Audio Fucifier for any shade of distortion i could possibly want.. Its a nice rack..

Now where do i get a tape deck from? (and where the hell would i put it!)
mrbloor
metasonix wrote:
Fear not, the distortion pedals will fuck you right back. razz

Anyone who buys a solid-state pedal and expects to get "tube sound" out of it is a moron. Tape saturation is nice, but it doesn't sound like tube distortion either.

You would say that cos you make the most desirable tube pedal at the moment thumbs up
slow_riot
SubliminalSandwich wrote:

Now where do i get a tape deck from? (and where the hell would i put it!)

I've been slowly trying to build an arsenal of cassette decks for in house duplication and Ebay is fruitful in the UK at least. Some real bargains.

Just got a very well treated Tascam 112 (not best deck ever but well built) requiring a simple fix for £17 . It's not a 3 head, but you can find them.
mihata
slow_riot wrote:

could you (or someone) elaborate a bit more about the above - do you need an actual cassette which you record onto in the same time, or you just use the deck to pass the signal through the electronics?

I'm looking for some alternative ways to add saturation to my mixes. I also read about the trick with the cassette - cd adapter but I don't like that the cable will sticks out of the cassette lid + that would mean that I need to do maintenance of the belts at some moment.

+ Another question about the portastudio 4 tracks and similar option - can I just use them for mixing without having to record on actual cassette?

Appreciate your help!

Peace
felixer
don't worry: tubes can sound like shit too hihi and so can tape, for that matter ... with nice distortion there is always has a certain degree of luck involved. and tastes differ obviously.
JimY
Tape decks can get tape saturation or pre-amp distortion.

Some have a lot of love for overdriving the pre-amps, which you can usually monitor out in record+pause without wasting tape. Some stompboxes designs copy those tape preamp circuits.

3 heads are Erase, Record and Play. This means that monitor out is from a separate playback head so you hear what has just been recorded while recording (also a source of tape delay because there's a little distance between rec & play heads).

Stereo decks (I've only seen open reel that can do this) can have 2x mono function, which lets you overdub (bounce) between the 2 tracks.
These decks need a stereo erase head. Normal erase is a single head that covers L & R together
Also known as the "Sound-on-sound" or "S-o-s" method (yes, that's where the magazine got its name). S-o-s can give you some great tape degradation effects as every bounce gets fluffier and muddier (but more hiss). Of course, you can do that with any 2 tape decks.

There was an old trick of putting scotch tape over the erase head to record over something - or fit a switch to disconnect it.

A while ago there were some claiming good things for re-recording via VHS video tape decks. Since they don't usually have any real audio record level control they have an automatic gain control (AGC) and it was the compression/limiter effect of that getting people excited.
Swann
Compact Tube Pre-Amps can be found from around $40-160. They're nice because you can get full control of the saturation break point. And also because...tubes...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2