MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Livewire AFG Pre-Order!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Livewire AFG Pre-Order!
felix
Just put in for my 2!!!

http://www.livewire-synthesizers.com/
sandyb
1 for me smile

edit: just got an email from shawn saying i'll probably be getting serial number 13 as that's my position in the preorder line. weird - my monome 64's serial number is also 13. lucky i'm not superstitious.
Chuck E. Jesus
shit, i really can't afford it...do you have to pay up front? do you know the turn around at this point?

nevermind, i just looked at my bank account oops
sandyb
ross g wrote:
shit, i really can't afford it...do you have to pay up front? do you know the turn around at this point?

yup - you have to stump up the cash up front. not sure how long they'll take but the livewire site says they'll accept pre orders for a week and then it should be pretty quick as they're manufacturing in a factory from now on.
i hadn't really planned to pick one up for a little while but got a bit carried away and...
consumed
interesting commitment from AH and livewire:

http://modularsynth.blogspot.com

Quote:
Pre-orders will be collected for one week and then the manufacturing process will begin. The turnaround time is maximum seven weeks from the start of manufacturing, possibly less. The modules will ship from California and they will include mounting screws and ribbon cables for power. Modules will be shipped in the order that payments are collected and international dealers will receive their shipment within the same time frame. If the AFG module has not been delivered within eight weeks of the order being paid for the customer has the option to ask for the return of payment in full or to continue waiting. The current lead time for the module can be requested at any time.

thats a pretty nice guarantee.

this module is probably going to pull me into euro. shit.
maybe ill find a second hand a-100p case.
sgnhh
I'll wait... my case is almost full anyway without EGs or LFOs. I can wait until I get a second case.

Also, I don't have $400 to spend on a guarantee.
felix
oh wow, that is a nice guarantee.

I bought it sight unseen of that guarantee...I have been waiting for this module for well over a year now. I heard about the pre-order from Shawn last week (I emailed him saying "hey, can I pre-order it since I have money now and I don't want to be tempted with something else), and I have been itching for the official pre-order announcement ever since.

I'm #18 and 19. smile

I can imagine this module would get people to buy into euro, even if it's just a small contingent, enough for the AFG and a few other euro exclusives.

An interesting tidbit about the AFG that Mike told me about at NAMM was that it was highly influenced by the design of synths from the early seventies and they chose parts and actually laid out the boards like they would have back then. The layout is extremely nice too; three boards stacked parallel to the faceplate, the third board is 1/3rd the size of the other two. The whole module is only about 1-1/2 deep!

Oh, and it sounds absolutely bad ass. Those clips are great, but what I heard in person was even better.
consumed
#25.

keep an eye out for a used case for me smile
im probably lookin out for an a-100p.
sandyb
consumed wrote:
#25.

you don't want to go the diy route with a case hans? the decent (not the one with two wall warts) doepfer diy kit is $185 i think - doubt you'd get a used case for that - and will give you some extra capacity if/when you buy more euro stuff

sandy
sgnhh
Anyone know the width on this thing?
sandyb
sgnhh wrote:
Anyone know the width on this thing?

pretty certain it's the same width as the dual cyclotron - so 28hp
Chuck E. Jesus
i totally feel left out on the original batch club...

must fight urge.....
consumed
sandyb wrote:
consumed wrote:
#25.

you don't want to go the diy route with a case hans? the decent (not the one with two wall warts) doepfer diy kit is $185 i think - doubt you'd get a used case for that - and will give you some extra capacity if/when you buy more euro stuff

sandy

im a bit confused by all doepfer's offerings so i wasnt sure which DIY kit was OK or not, if any. i just remember negative feedback about some DIY doepfer, and i dont know what the capacity is. also, does doepfer ground through the chassis? this is a good reason to get a metal chassis, ive recently discovered. ill have to do some research.
Chuck E. Jesus
consumed wrote:

im a bit confused by all doepfer's offerings so i wasnt sure which DIY kit was OK or not, if any. i just remember negative feedback about some DIY doepfer, and i dont know what the capacity is. also, does doepfer ground through the chassis? this is a good reason to get a metal chassis, ive recently discovered. ill have to do some research.

i would go with the PSU2, a buss board, and metal rack ears and put that in a rack case or build a box and just mount the rack in it...that's what i did, and i have had no trouble and i have power to spare...i still have a couple spots on the buss board in fact, but i can always add another...the minimum of stuff you have to add (wire, connectors, fuse holder, power cord) is chicken feed money...the only thing i fucked up on money wise was buying new expensive rack ears (6u high, i think they were 30 bucks or so), i would look for some used rack ears and build the rack out of wood...oh yeah, use the Vector rails and nuts, that way you can use any mfg's stuff and have no worries...just ground the rack ears to the power supply/ac ground, and you are set...

couple of pics i had handy:

consumed
thanks for the info! what are vector rails and nuts? do they come with the $185 doepfer kit?
Chuck E. Jesus
consumed wrote:
what are vector rails and nuts? do they come with the $185 doepfer kit?

doepfer has threaded rails the mods screw into...Vector rails have a slot that accepts a nut you can slide into any position...the only problem is the rails don't use the Euro standard, so you also have to buy special bolts...but i got them at my local hardware store w/o a prob, you just buy extra for the future...
sandyb
@consumed
there are two doepfer diy kits - 1 & 2. diy kit 1 is the one to get.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a100diy1/
it comes with rails (not vector ones) which are ok (there are slight spacing issues if you have odd sized modules but i think that only relates to harvestman stuff at the moment). with the kit essentially you're getting what ross g has put together for himself. the power supply is the same (1200ma) except it uses an external transformer rather than requiring wiring up a fuse etc. as for cases - mine isn't yet finished/has no modules so i don't know about grounding but i'm going to ground the metal rails.
doepfer source their metal cases from schroff i think so you could go straight to them to save a bit of money if you really want a metal case.
go to the subracks section.
http://www.schroff.us/home.asp

hth

sandy
flts
I just got a Doepfer DIY kit 1 myself, except that I'm practically only using the PSU + external transformer + bus boards... the old '80s distribution amp case I got has the rest (material for 2x6U wooden Eurorack suitcases with aluminium frames and nice slideable rails, for free!). edit: Sorry for continuing with OT... just finished, plugged in, the modules work perfectly. This is what it looks like:

(I just don't have practically any modules yet - just ext in + lowpass gate + mixer, so I toyed with env follower + lpg and the lpg's self oscillation, everything was a-ok)

Just do not get the kit 2 which has low quality switching PSUs which are guaranteed to suck for pretty much any use - not worth the savings. Either get PSU2 + bus board + vector rails (if you aren't afraid of mains voltages and want an internal ring core transformer) or DIY kit 1 (if you want external trafo). Some Eurorack modules seem to need / want chassis or rail grounding (like the Plan B model 15 osc, at least v1) and the option is there in the DIY kits... Also gives some EMI protection and additional electrical safety of course, but it isn't strictly neccessary with most modules I think. I did it because I could.

As for the topic... AFG preorder just went in. I'm #68 so seems like quite a lot of people preordering straight away - no surprises there. Yes, it's going to be 28HP so it'll eat quite a lot of space from my little 2x84HP case. But I'm justifying that decision just by the fact that it basically sounds so sick it might pretty much do the job of two separate 12-16HP oscillators.
tragedybysyntax
Geezus...... figures. I was hoping it would take more time for this to come out since I"m working on my Recording rig at the time which needs the most attention. (Benchmark DAC1 D/A,Avantones)

Hopefully he will keep selling them after the big order.....
What exactly is this limited edition run? Extra options or?

Damnit....lol.
felix
The Limited Edition is a "black and gold PCB" and is signed by Mike on the back (inside) of the faceplate.

Other than that, it's not any different...except that the pre-orders have been guaranteed to be available to the orderee within 8 weeks.

Also interesting, is the pre-order wasn't limited by a number of units...they just said they would have the pre-order for a week.
flts
Also notice: "Turnaround time for the first production run will be relatively short, as all Livewire products will be factory built from this point forward."

I guess that means all the Livewire modules will be more readily available in two or three months, so there's no need to worry if you don't have time to get into the preorder. I'd really like a Vulcan Modulator but apparently the next production units will be out in about a month or two so it's going to be bit of a wait also.
tragedybysyntax
Yeah for a guy that only has 2 euro modules.... and soon to be debt free. Free'ng up about 1k cash a month..... I'm about to go nuts with the euro thing this summer. lol. All Livewire...bunch of Plan B and all Harvestman as it comes.

HIT ME! smile
sgnhh
I can't believe this, but shit...

I'm #115
Bricks
Man.. been thinking about an AFG for months. Actually was checking livewire yahoo daily for at least a month! then, I was in austin when it was announced.. now.. I cant decide. I really shouldnt empty more cash into this modular... though Ive still got plenty of empty space in my euro rack!! argg.. decisions.
felix
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you went for it.

Besides, in the worst case, you decide you don't want it, I'm sure you could sell it off to someone for little loss. I imagine they'll still be guys clamoring for it even after the pre-orders have shipped.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7