MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SVF-201 demo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Author SVF-201 demo
Umcorps
Been asked a bunch of questions about this excellent filter so made this demo running through some of the settings and options. Best watched at the highest resolution and full screen if you want to see the scope properly.

Decent headphones or speakers are also a good idea.

Ras Thavas
Thanks, I wish every new filter had a demo like this to better show it's basic character.
radiodread87
Very nice demo of a very nice filter! Kudos! thumbs up
stellvia
Thanks for that Umcorps thumbs up

Exactly what I wanted to hear applause The resonance on this sounds quite interesting, very harmonic, really interesting and musical sounding.

I do believe I may have to go and order one of these hihi
Umcorps
Cheers! Glad its of some use Guinness ftw!

Just to emphasise a few points from the video. As should be clear, if you want a clean, precise filter this is probably not the module you are looking for. It can do some unexpected things, particularly at low cutoff settings even without any gain on the input.

It doesn't track accurately. I didn't have any expectation that it would so its not a problem for me but its worth mentioning if you care about such things. Also self resonation is not really possible. It will do it if you set the cutoff high enough (from ear somewhere north of 1.5 KHz) but it can't sustain the self resonation at lower cutoff frequencies.

Someone asked me how it compares to the QMMG. Apart from the fact they both use vactrols, they are really very different. The QMMG on its own can be quite a savage creature (or mine is anyway) and is very quick to scream and generally rip into whatever you input. If you want something less than balls to the wall from it you need external attenuators and plenty of them.

The SVF gives you attenuators on all the inputs. It also gives you a lot more potential gain on the input than is available on the QMMG. So its capable of giving you a much greater range of colours straight out of the box. I really, really love playing with the input gain and how it interacts with the filter resonance. As filters go, it's a really deep little module. There is a lot to explore.

What I didn't do in the video was show the SVF doing anything percussive which is bad of me because it does typically lovely vactrol drum sounds. That's probably the main area where there is some overlap between it and the QMMG in terms of sound.
stellvia
Well, I have take advantage of the holiday special and ordered one (along with a Kommander) hihi

Looks to be an interesting filter, very much looking forward to playing with it hyper

Thanks for the extra info Umcorps. The unstable nature of the resonance heard from the video is actually what pushed me over the edge into getting one, it's an interesting response I haven't really heard on a filter before, especially how the resonance seemed to track the harmonic series of the note as it was swept.

I've got a Dr Octature that does the whole precision, tracking, self oscillating etc thing, this looks to have a whole different character to it Guinness ftw!
tektoktiktak
Umcorps wrote:
Been asked a bunch of questions about this excellent filter so made this demo running through some of the settings and options. Best watched at the highest resolution and full screen if you want to see the scope properly.

awesome demo Umcorps! we're not worthy
Umcorps
tektoktiktak wrote:

awesome demo Umcorps! we're not worthy

Awesome filter!! SlayerBadger!
Infrablue
Umcorps wrote:

Amazing demo. You should be hired to demo every module out there...!

Gorgeous filter! What a sound.
phasebash
Can this filter be used as a LPG by pinging the filter cutoff CV in?
Umcorps
phasebash wrote:

Kind of smile https://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc/s-owFnV

[s]http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc/s-owFnV[/s]

It's not got a VCA component so it doesn't gate. If the cutoff isn't set to min and if you use something other than the LP output you can hear the source but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.
phasebash
Umcorps wrote:
phasebash wrote:

Kind of smile https://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc

[s]http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/kperc[/s]

It's not got a VCA component so it doesn't gate. If the cutoff isn't set to min and if you use something other than the LP output you can hear the source but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I suspected that, but I suppose it can still be very fun. Is the track above public? I'm not able to see it. Cheers in advance!
Umcorps
Sorry - only put half the url in there. Fixed it now hopefully.
stellvia
Received my SVF-201 and Kommander from Koma today! It's motherfucking bacon yo

Had a good jam with them, both heaps of fun. The SVF-201 has a really different filter characteristic to the rest of the filters in my modular (Boogie, Dr Octature & SEM 20), in a really good way. The filter really seems to chew on and bring out all kinds of interesting harmonics and it's a ball to play with the controls of the filter using the Kommander It's peanut butter jelly time!

Here's a quick demo I just did cause I was having heaps of fun with them hihi
[s]http://soundcloud.com/eschelyn/sfv-201-kommander-jam[/s]

Thanks Koma for the awesome bits of gear!!!
DonKartofflo
I find it really incredibly how the resonance brings the signals harmonics really to the "top" of the sound.
the fact that there is cv over resonance could make for some seriously complex sounds hyper

and stellvia, your demo is nanners nanners nanners nanners love love

quick question: are the pots panel mounted? because those big ones look like they could use a good hard wiggling love
osterchrisi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Page 1 of 1