MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metalbox Burst Generator and Tube VCA Arrived!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Metalbox Burst Generator and Tube VCA Arrived!
Squibbons
More modules! Just received my Metalbox Burst Generator and Tube VCA. When I put the order in, I was told it would take 4 weeks before they would be ready to ship. 4 weeks later, they shipped. =)

I've already been surprised by both modules. The Tube VCA will start to wail all by it's lonesome when the Feedback is cranked high enough and the Burst Generator can output a steady stream of pulses if you make the pulse cycle longer than the re-trigger length.

I'm now taking pics of every module that arrives, front and back, for no particular reason. I figured I'd at least share the picture of the tube in the Tube VCA:

Muff Wiggler
the tube VCA is *AMAZING* i love mine so much, one of my absolute favorite modules!!! it's definately got a bit of metasonix in it for sure!!

burst generator is on my short list - how is it? can wait to trigger up some drums with that puppy
J.w.M.
Oooh... triggering drums with the burst generator sounds awesome.
Nice pictures, for sure. I love the strange little tube in that module-- it's on the list as one of the first modules I'll probably build from CGS PCBs.
Kwote
cool deal.

i'm not ready to build CGS quite yet. i figure i got atleast a few more blacet projects down the line first.

but my next move is to grab up the metalbox 8008, dual chime and dual drum.

hopefully i'll be able to order em all by summertime.

GO METALBOX GO!
Cat-A-Tonic
If you get a dual drum you should take serious consideration into moving the trimpots out to the front as knobs.
This might make you think twice about whether you want the simpler Metal Box version or the DIY CGS.
Mine has 6 knobs and 4 jacks. It is 2 Frac units wide.
I picked it up on ebay for a very reasonable price.
I find all of the knobs to be very useful especially for FM modulation of VCOs.
I think the additional functionality is well worth the additional module width.

The Metal Box Divider/Logic is great. I don't think there is any further customization that you would be missing out on by DIYing this one.
The Divider section really benfits from having a mixer.
You can thicken your waves with subharmonics.
Kwote
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
If you get a dual drum you should take serious consideration into moving the trimpots out to the front as knobs.
This might make you think twice about whether you want the simpler Metal Box version or the DIY CGS.
Mine has 6 knobs and 4 jacks. It is 2 Frac units wide.
I picked it up on ebay for a very reasonable price.
I find all of the knobs to be very useful especially for FM modulation of VCOs.
I think the additional functionality is well worth the additional module width.

The Metal Box Divider/Logic is great. I don't think there is any further customization that you would be missing out on by DIYing this one.
The Divider section really benfits from having a mixer.
You can thicken your waves with subharmonics.

i think i will do that eventually but i'm desperate for drums right now so i'm gonna go metalbox. my goal is to eventually have two of each cgs drum module. so my first ones will have to be metalbox due to lack of building experience and CGS once i've gotten more bold.

i'd imagine these modules should be pretty simple(like the blacet dual vca i just built) so i'm not terribly worried, but that's the plan.
Muff Wiggler
I spoke to Michael Ford about this a while ago, and he said that for roughly $50 more he would be willing to make the modules full width and being additional trimpots to the front panel

I'm doing this for sure
Muff Wiggler
actually, I just ordered them 8)
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
I spoke to Michael Ford about this a while ago, and he said that for roughly $50 more he would be willing to make the modules full width and being additional trimpots to the front panel

I'm doing this for sure

it's funny cuz right after my last post in this thread i thought that he'd probably be down to do that. being he already offers custom work.

i might do the same. just depends. i'm fighting for space and cash right now in my current rack. my original plan was to ditch the mult/atten and fill the remaining spaces with the drum modules currently available.

that's my setup as of yesterday.
Kwote
as mentioned i'm on the cusp of building the simpler dual chime. i pondered if i'm making a mistake by not bringing all of the pots to the front panel, but i'm thinking there's a reason it's not standard on the metalbox version. and not even heartily recommended on Ken Stone's site. I'm under the impression that once you get it tuned tight you don't really wanna mess with it.

but anyways, my plan is still to ultimately have two of all the CGS drum related modules so perhaps my next Chime Simulator will have all the pots on the front.

PS: i'm not worried about space anymore. it's inevitable with all my thoughts on synthesis that i'll end up with a pretty healthy sized system. so i'm not gonna worry about it. just frac rack by frac rack. one day at a time smile
Muff Wiggler
Michael Ford emailed me (I still gotta email him back, arrgh busy...) saying my Metalbox order is shipping to me this week...

-Custom Dual Chime (Pots brought out)
-Custom Dual Drum (Pots brought out)
-Digital Noise (which I had once and sold....want the binary triggers now more than ever)
-Analog Logic

can't wait 8)

Quote:
PS: i'm not worried about space anymore. it's inevitable with all my thoughts on synthesis that i'll end up with a pretty healthy sized system. so i'm not gonna worry about it. just frac rack by frac rack. one day at a time

oh yeah, go huge bro. there's no hurry ever
Kwote
werdup Muff. you'll have to give me your thoughts on the custom dual chime.

i think when i tackle the dual drum i'll bring the pots to the front for sure.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1