MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone have multiple 281e in an 18 panel cabinet?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Anyone have multiple 281e in an 18 panel cabinet?
science
I think I might want two, and currently have an opportunity to pick one up. Was wondering if anyone here had done this before, and if you had found it useful to have?
momo
I think Chris Muir is an advocate for exactly this choice. I've read such advice in a few threads here if I recall correctly. Cheers.
science
I like the idea of being able to dedicate one of them to my 292e, and use the other for whatever else I want. I feel like one wouldn't be enough.
momo
I like that it's also one of the most reasonably priced modules from B&A. It's amazing how quickly an 18 panel cabinet is exhausted. Just as well really that B&A announced the 24 as the Eardrill page 2012 unearthed on the Pendulum / Ratchet thread here reveals more to come from that stable. You never know, there might be something in the pipeline to rival your desire for a second 292e!
It's peanut butter jelly time!
science
You mean a second 281e? wink

I figure there's always someone out there ready to pick up modules at retail or close to it, if I decide at some point to ditch one 281e for something else. I'm pretty sure the most recent sale I saw on this forum was over within maybe a few hours of being posted? lol
momo
Oops! Or as Don H recently reminded us all of, B&A allow trade ins without a restocking charge! But yes, I am more than sure someone would be willing to take it off your hands for list price at least.
ndkent
Well if you look at most of the earlier configured 18 cabinets out there, even still on the B&A site you'll see a two each of the 282es and 292es. It seems kind of skimpy to have just one since you could easily dedicate a whole 282e to a 292e and have no ASRs left... and that's not even thinking about using a pair for something more complex. I'd almost definitely get another before I'd get a second 292e because 4 cycling ASRs isn't enough for a meduim sized system imho.
science
ndkent wrote:
Well if you look at most of the earlier configured 18 cabinets out there, even still on the B&A site you'll see a two each of the 282es and 292es. It seems kind of skimpy to have just one since you could easily dedicate a whole 282e to a 292e and have no ASRs left... and that's not even thinking about using a pair for something more complex. I'd almost definitely get another before I'd get a second 292e because 4 cycling ASRs isn't enough for a meduim sized system imho.

I don't think I'll need a second 292e. The plan is to dedicate one 281e to my 292e, and use the other for anything else I need it for.

By the way, Buchla does not have a single 18 panel cabinet system with 2 281es in it, or at least I've never seen one on their current site.
ndkent
science wrote:

By the way, Buchla does not have a single 18 panel cabinet system with 2 281es in it, or at least I've never seen one on their current site.

Look at the one on the default overview page -
http://buchla.com/series200e_overview.html

You'll see that configuration in the reviews in Sound on Sound, in Keyboard, just about any older 18 cabinet before newer modules replaced them.
Lyonel
The old System 4 :

System #4

1 Model 201e - 18 Powered Cabinet
1 Model 210e Control and Signal Router
1 Model 225e Midi Decoder/Preset Manager
1 Model 227e System Interface (2 panel units)
1 Model 250e Arbitrary Function Generator (2 panel units)
1 Model 256e Control Voltage Processor
4 Model 261e Complex Waveform Generator
1 Model 266e Source of Uncertainty
2 Model 281e Quad Function Generator
1 Model 285e Frequency Shifter / Balanced Modulator
1 Model 291e Triple Morphing Filter
2 Model 292e Quad Dynamics Manager

Total panel units - 18
System price - $20,300

science
Ahh ok - forgot about that one, but never really looked at the module configuration anyway, and I didn't know it had 2 281e in it... though since each 281e in that configuration is essentially paired with a 292e, it's a different situation anyway.
buchlajoe
i have 2 281e's in a 18 space. and 2 more in a second 18 space. i would like one more! they are amazingly useful. imo
prscrptn
A second 281 is good if you have more than 2 complex waveform generators. Personally I think that pairing the 281e/292e is essential. Multiple EG's are great, but envelopes without VCA's are a bit limiting. I usually use the the complex waveforms from the 261e for modulation, and rarely use the 281 in quadrature mode. The 225e external note message busses and controller busses can always be used for LFO's and triggers...
amnesia
I started out with just one and then decided to get a second to dedicate to great lfoing :-)
citizen mori
i use three in one of my cabinets... from time to time, i still run out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1