MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Snarky Tuner ($12 Tuner Mod for Modular)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Snarky Tuner ($12 Tuner Mod for Modular)

pulplogic

The Snark SN-2 makes a descent little tuner for modular. It costs around $12 on ebay and the mods for adding a 3.5mm phone connection is fairly easy to do. I simply removed the internal piezo sensor and connected directly to its connections.

aladan

That's way cool... couldn't stop myself, just bought one! smile

pulplogic

aladan wrote:
That's way cool... couldn't stop myself, just bought one! smile

Thanks, here are a couple of assembly pictures:

Cut the tabs down so they don't contact the piezo sensor and solder the ground and signal wires.

The flex tube was scavenged from a broken usb led lamp. Hot glue secures it into the socket.

aladan

pulplogic wrote:
Thanks, here are a couple of assembly pictures:

Very helpful, thank you!

L-1

Great! Ordered one.

pulplogic

Here’s a little more info on how to modify the Snark SN-2 tuner.

aladan

Still waiting for mine to arrive in Oz *sigh*

makers

I just did this and it works really well!

joshuagoran

@makers did you use a USB lamp flex tube, too, or did you figure something else out? I'm glad to see this dug up, looks like a great tool!

makers

I used the original arm with a ball joint on each end. I removed the ball from one end so it fit into an 1/8" jack. Then used heat shink to keep those two parts together. The wires had to enter the 1/8" jack through a hole I drilled in the side. Finicky build but it works well with minimal parts. The pitch tracking on the latest model seems very stable.

craigwilliamsmusic

i built two of these (one for me and one for a friend that lent me his 909 and 101) and they work great.

diablojoy

I panelised an SN-8 version
a couple of months back
added a 3.3v regulator so no battery any more
brought all the switches out to the panel and added an in and buffered through jack
really useful module
also bought a couple of even cheaper ENO music ET-33
tuners , i plan to do the same with them.

joshuagoran

@diablojoy I would love to see a picture if you get a chance! That sounds like a really graceful setup.

squarewavesurfer

Thanks for this DIY!

ES

Awesome! Ive been looking for a direct and quick way to tune up my oscillators this is perfect thanks!!!

sduck

Just got a superSnark at guitar center - looking forward to doing this mod thing.

mothertongue

Sweet! I have an extra Snark tuner in my bag thumbs up

Mr. Enjin

That's awesomely simple and cheap! thumbs up

widdly

This is a neat idead but damn you banana plugs!

sad banana

jgb

Must. Have. Tuner! The same procedure for modding the super snarks?

sduck

It looks pretty similar inside. I haven't wired mine up yet, but I'd presume it's the same.

Mr. Enjin

Just ordered 3 of em from scAmazon for 9.95 a pop...extras..ya know, 'cause it seems there's always at least one person in any band that never fecking has a tuner d'oh! [/u]

sduck

Ok, this was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. First, I scoured the whole house, trying to find some kind of flexi tube I could use, cause that looks really cool. After spending way too much time doing that, I realized I was probably just overthinking things, and that I could just use the clip that comes with it, attach it to a jack of a clipped off patch cord. So I picked out a suitably colored Hosa patch cord and got busy (purple works best! hmmm..... ).

Opened it up, removed the piezo, drilled a hole, stripped the wires, soldered them on, put little bits of electrical tape over the business side to prevent accidental contacts on reassembly, re-attached the little button pieces, reassembled the whole thing, it works great!

The super snark has a little spring thing for the ground contact, otherwise the connections are the same as in the pictures and videos above.

This method might not work so well with euro size patch cords, but with 1/4" ones it's fine.

squarewavesurfer

sduck wrote:
The super snark has a little spring thing for the ground contact, otherwise the connections are the same as in the pictures and videos above.

I should have mentioned that my SN-2 (pictured above) also had a spring for the ground contact. This is probably just the way they are making these tuners now.

hangovercat

That's going to be super handy. Thanks a ton.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2