MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Learning to Stutter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Learning to Stutter
bar|none
Have any tips to share about how to create cool stuttering sounds?

Seems like it should not be that hard, but having some trouble conceptualizing the techniques.

A good example would be Stretta's track Pareidolia here
http://stretta.bandcamp.com/album/error-correction

Just for reference, I have 2 x Model 10's, various LFOs, normal ADSRs and various S&H options avail. Also Volta if that makes it any easier.
suboptimal
If you have the means, buy a Machinedrum UW. The retrigger function can do this very, very well, and you can sample your modular. It's an absolutely profound compliment to a modular.
dougcl
Wow, that's a great track. Seems to me you need a VCLFO to an A-165 to get triggers of varying density. Then you can bracket them with a VCA or logic module. The triggers can then be used on an LPG, VCA, or envelope.

With your modules perhaps you could try one M10 self cycling at a slower rate, getting a new timebase from a S&H on each EOA. Have it control a VCA with the second M10 self cycling at a high rate (possibly variable timebase too on each of the slow M10 EOA's) going through the VCA signal path. Run this then to an ADSR.

Is stretta a professional musician? Still listening to these tracks. Great stuff.
bar|none
>If you have the means, buy a Machinedrum UW
I hear you and I have plenty of possibilties there with software or hardware, but trying to do this with Modular only.

>Seems to me you need a VCLFO to an A-165 to get triggers of varying density
I knew I was going to learn something about a module I have never heard of.

>With your modules perhaps you could try one M10 self cycling at a slower rate...

Yeah, actually that was similar to the route I was trying. Was getting close but more warbly than retriggered. I was using the Model 10 to delay modulation at the end, but I guess I need AD(SR) and not just modulation at the end, so I'll try that next. The hard part is generating the triggers for the ADSR. Maybe use my M37 LFO as a trigger, being attenuated by the one Model 10 into a VCA so that the triggers hit at key moment?

>Is stretta a professional musician? Still listening to these tracks. Great stuff.
You don't know stretta? Hard to believe, but I guess having a modular and a monome makes it more likely.

http://stretta.blogspot.com/

He's also one of the guys behind Volta. I'm guessing the stuttering on that track is actually done with Volta.
Luka
perhaps a burst generator as well
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1