MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piston Honda MKII
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 [all]
Author Piston Honda MKII
reinklang
I just received a Piston Honda Expander which came filled with ROMs that have colored dots on them. I thought these might contain alternative wavetables but it seems they're just the standard set that was already included with the MkII. At least that's what it sounds like after loading the ROMs into the module.

Can anyone confirm this is correct? Or are they just empty?
mt3
reinklang wrote:
I just received a Piston Honda Expander which came filled with ROMs that have colored dots on them. I thought these might contain alternative wavetables but it seems they're just the standard set that was already included with the MkII. At least that's what it sounds like after loading the ROMs into the module.

Can anyone confirm this is correct? Or are they just empty?

MARK II INSTRUCTIONS

from http://www.theharvestman.org/pistonexpander.php

- Turn off your instrument and remove the Piston Honda from the rack.

- Find the standoffs on the back of the module. Plug the expander board into the module, lining up the screw holes with the standoffs. It is not necessary to fasten the board with additional screws.

- Fill all six sockets on the expander with waveform ROMs, taking care to line up the notch on the socket with the notch on the chip.

- Hold down the "MODE" button in the Morph Discontinuity section.

- While holding the button, turn the instrument's power on.

- Wait one minute while the waveforms load from the expander to the memory. They will replace ROM (Z axis) locations A-F. When the load is complete, the module will activate and function as normal.

- Remove the expander board and re-install the unit in the rack. It is not necessary to leave the expander plugged into the MK2 piston.
JoshuaTSP
Artaos wrote:
I can't figure out how to use the FM input on my Piston Honda mkII. Whatever signal I patch in the FM input (constant, AC, LFO, audio rate, etc), it has no effect on the sound. This is with the corresponding attenuverter full CW, full CCW, or anywhere in between.

The "CV" frequency input works as expected, it's only the "FM" input that doesn't seem to work.

Do I have a faulty unit or am I missing something?

Didn't see this get answered.
same question. Any answers out there?
mt3
JoshuaTSP wrote:
Artaos wrote:
I can't figure out how to use the FM input on my Piston Honda mkII. Whatever signal I patch in the FM input (constant, AC, LFO, audio rate, etc), it has no effect on the sound. This is with the corresponding attenuverter full CW, full CCW, or anywhere in between.

The "CV" frequency input works as expected, it's only the "FM" input that doesn't seem to work.

Do I have a faulty unit or am I missing something?

Didn't see this get answered.
same question. Any answers out there?

Works great here. Nice and gnarly knurls.
metel909
finally,,, I adopted them all...so happy to have them love
ianross
Hey All,

Any update on the issue with the FM pot affecting pitch? Does have older firmware they could send me in the meantime?

I also mentioned in another thread that on my current PH mk2 2.5.1 I'm getting some noise/artifacts when I use the FM input and turn the attenuator clockwise. You can hear it with purer waveforms. Anyone else getting these artifacts?
Baddcr
Mostly PH mk][ but also a really annoying exploration of timing shifts and fails, and the Hexinverter Snare too, drop just after 4:30:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/snare[/s]
snes
Been trying to find the expander for my MkII. Does anyone have one they want to part with? Seems almost impossible to find any online.

Does the expander include any rom set's? or are they purchased separately? Sorry in advance if that has been asked previously.
mt3
snes wrote:
Been trying to find the expander for my MkII. Does anyone have one they want to part with? Seems almost impossible to find any online.

Does the expander include any rom set's? or are they purchased separately? Sorry in advance if that has been asked previously.

Took me a year to find one used.
ROMs and Expander boards sold separately.
snes
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, once the Roms are loaded onto the module, is there any need to hang onto the expander?
monstrinho
snes wrote:
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, once the Roms are loaded onto the module, is there any need to hang onto the expander?

Yes. There is no RAM that they would get loaded into, so you physically need both the expander and the chips themselves in order for the PH to access them.
snes
monstrinho wrote:
snes wrote:
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yes. There is no RAM that they would get loaded into, so you physically need both the expander and the chips themselves in order for the PH to access them.

Thanks for the clarification! But i was under the impression the MkII expander overwrites the internal banks A-F as they are a duplicate from existing 0-5 banks?
mt3
From the manual:
"The last 6 ROMs (A-F) may be overwritten by your own custom data, using the PISTON HONDA expander board. To use, plug the expander into the back of the module with the power OFF. Then, hold down the DISCONTINUITY MODE button and turn the power on, and wait one minute for the waves to load. Be sure to load all 6 slots of the expander, or you will have "blank spots" in the module's memory.
These waveforms are now written to the module’s memory, and you can remove the expander board."

PH mk I requires the expander board if I recall.
monstrinho
mt3 wrote:
From the manual:
"The last 6 ROMs (A-F) may be overwritten by your own custom data, using the PISTON HONDA expander board. To use, plug the expander into the back of the module with the power OFF. Then, hold down the DISCONTINUITY MODE button and turn the power on, and wait one minute for the waves to load. Be sure to load all 6 slots of the expander, or you will have "blank spots" in the module's memory.
These waveforms are now written to the module’s memory, and you can remove the expander board."

PH mk I requires the expander board if I recall.

OK, so I'm wrong and there is onboard RAM?? I was always under the impression that the Piston Honda worked exactly like the Wiard Mini Wave / Waveform City, reading the waveforms directly from the EPROM chips.
mt3
I'm unsure myself.
monstrinho
If The Mk 1 needs the Expander attached and the Mk 2 doesn't, that would seem to me to indicate that the Mk 1 reads directly from the EPROMs, but the Mk 2 loads the EPROM data into memory. At least that's how I understand the quote from the manual. Seems like the Mk 2 redesign was pretty extensive in that case...
snes
Hopefully in that case, it might be easier to get a hold of a used board and roms for my PH MK II module. I might start scouring the marketplace for one...or if anyone reading this is interested in sending me theirs with ROMS? love of course i am willing to pay for it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 [all]
Page 18 of 18