MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piston Honda MKII
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Piston Honda MKII
Pascal
the number of the beast

Matos
Damn, they look amazing together. The Zorlon is looking tasty delicious.
j.precursor
Sliders for piston Honda?! That looks really cool.

But is it me or that these modules (zorlon and honda) got larger?
HueMonContact
Damn it I need all of them... yes I said need!
I have a love the O.G. Zorlon and Honda but I think I'll still get the updated versions and keep the old ones too.
ether
Totally badass.
Peebee
I need a piston honda. When will this beauty be availabe?
ether
We have learned to not ask that question here.

The governor is not questioned by his disciples.

He is the ghost who walks.

we're not worthy
wavecircle
SICK!!!
Leoespejo
F***ck no news about the Piston Honda expander, maybe its included inside mkII. seriously, i just don't get it
wavecircle
Leoespejo wrote:
F***ck no news about the Piston Honda expander, maybe its included inside mkII. seriously, i just don't get it

It looks that way especially as it has CV morphing for ROMs and a ROM selection slider that is as big as the wave and bank sliders. I am guessing that this will hold 16 ROMs to match the number of waves and banks.
Junk Rhythm
j.precursor wrote:
But is it me or that these modules (zorlon and honda) got larger?

Bigger is better! w00t

Looking good Scott!
andy
nanners
exper
Argh. Welp, I didn't get along with the MKi PH, but I did love what it was capable of. Hmm...

That PH and HD has my e350 and CB2 looking a little nervous right about now. Loved, loved my Mk1 HD. I miss it often!\

I don't even know what's going on with that Zorlon Cannon as I've never tried the original. External clocks looks like fun though!
HueMonContact
Yeah external clock in on the Zorlon is an awesome addition!
It's the only thing I didn't like about the original Zorlon.
But it did force me to use my Zorlon as the master clock for my
modular. I'm sure that was all apart of the governors master plan evil
Dofkev
This is nothing, wait until the new Malgorithm comes out! It sounds more like an amazing waveshaper than a bit crusher! Thats the one I am excited about.
wavecircle
I'm not entirely sure but it looks like the new zorlon can be configured to output gates and audio from all outputs. It would be pretty good if you can also change the frequency of each output.
burnn_out!
The new zorlon and Honda are must buys for me. Hopefully the homicide censor is included in the new mix. Also hoping for actual sightings at NAMM.
numan7
:bananguitar: that looks terrific!

confused any clues or news on how many bits the wav samples will be?

it is probably too much to hope for at this pt... but backward-compatibility with ph mk1 (along with release of the super-expander for mki) in this regard would actually encourage me to get a pair of ph mk2s. hmmm.....

cheers
reppiks
wow, these look awesome!
larhule
I'm fucking hard.
John Noble
What's the source on these?
the83
John Noble wrote:
What's the source on these?

The Governor's facebook.
j.precursor
oh yeah, can't wait for the mk II or malgorithm !
apertureburn
simultaneous internal and external outs is badass
Entrainer
apertureburn wrote:

What's that? Like using the internal oscillator to scan the wavetable
+ using a external saw (like the Blacet Mini-Wave?)... and having
both available simultaneously? Hmmm, I wonder if you can achieve
different pitches that way?
Votek_Mendo
SIMPLY AWESOME!!!!!!
monstrinho
Entrainer wrote:
apertureburn wrote:

What's that? Like using the internal oscillator to scan the wavetable
+ using a external saw (like the Blacet Mini-Wave?)... and having
both available simultaneously? Hmmm, I wonder if you can achieve
different pitches that way?

I don't see any way for the external signal to drive the wavetables (like the MiniWave) while the internal oscillator is also doing it. There's no switching facility on the front panel, so I'm guessing this works more like the distortion/bitcrushing/quantising applications of the MiniWave. Send an external signal in and you get a bitcrushed version of it out along with the "normal" Piston output. I'm just trying to imagine what a feedback patch with the internal patched back into the external would sound like...
Leoespejo
I'd love to read a comment or a word about this from Governor Blacksnake and i hope it doesn't happens the same as with Piston Honda expander (no news, no comments about it, seems its a dead project).
vasculator
yeah i see this as allowing an external signal to be processed by the wavetable (ext mode) while still having access to the internal oscillator output at the same time which will be fantastic. piston honda in ext mode in the echophon feedback loop is a lot of fun.

monstrinho wrote:

I don't see any way for the external signal to drive the wavetables (like the MiniWave) while the internal oscillator is also doing it. There's no switching facility on the front panel, so I'm guessing this works more like the distortion/bitcrushing/quantising applications of the MiniWave. Send an external signal in and you get a bitcrushed version of it out along with the "normal" Piston output. I'm just trying to imagine what a feedback patch with the internal patched back into the external would sound like...
HueMonContact
vasculator wrote:
yeah i see this as allowing an external signal to be processed by the wavetable (ext mode) while still having access to the internal oscillator output at the same time which will be fantastic. piston honda in ext mode in the echophon feedback loop is a lot of fun.

aaahhhh that sounds like fun... I've really been itchin' to get an echophon.
This is going to help me pull the trigger faster.
governor blacksnake
Hi,

Both piston expanders have been done for a long time. The delay is from organizing their manufacture among the many other things I have to be released soon.

The new piston can process an external wave (with VC gain) through the currently selected wavetable while the internal oscillator generates that waveform out of a different output.

A realistic estimate for the release of the new PH, ZC, and HD is March.
reignbear
so the new piston is 24bit? curious to hear how that will change it as the OG piston sounds so magical as is...

can't wait to hear/see some demos of these new designs!
governor blacksnake
The new Piston is 16 bit. As it stands now I'm thinking of arranging the first 8 ROM "slots" to be new, high-resolution waveforms, the next two being the original factory waves from the original piston, and the last 6 being whatever is in the expander unit that gets plugged into the back (8 bits of course).
reignbear
governor blacksnake wrote:
The new Piston is 16 bit. As it stands now I'm thinking of arranging the first 8 ROM "slots" to be new, high-resolution waveforms, the next two being the original factory waves from the original piston, and the last 6 being whatever is in the expander unit that gets plugged into the back (8 bits of course).

whelp. there goes my tax return Dead Banana
Metamusik
Finally getting that Zorlon I've been having buyers angst about since forever. These new panels are amazing by the way. A little less goofy-nerd-time-parade, clear and professional, yet still with color and life. In other words: they look perfect.
apertureburn
hell yes, this thing looks amazing
phase ghost
Holy fucking shit, that looks amazing. Considering how much I love the MKI, I think I have to buy this.
radiokoala
Can someone explain me please what "processing an external wave (with VC gain) through the currently selected wavetable" means? What changes occur to external wave - does its amplitude follow the shape of wavetable, or is it something else?

hmmm.....
ThinLazy
radiokoala wrote:
Can someone explain me please what "processing an external wave (with VC gain) through the currently selected wavetable" means? What changes occur to external wave - does its amplitude follow the shape of wavetable, or is it something else?

hmmm.....

Yes, I was wondering about this too...
thelizard
radiokoala wrote:

hmmm.....

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure it acts as a lookup table. What this means is if you send it a phasor (a rectified ramp wave), the output will just be the unmodified wavetable...

At least, this is how a lot of software wavetables oscillators work (at least the ones that I've programmed). There's probably a bit more to it, but that's my guess.
rydan
Is the mk2 PH 17HP instead of 15? Looks like it...
Starrefision

A realistic estimate for the release of the new PH, ZC, and HD is March.

so, for the zorlon mk2....
is it still buddies with the qotile?
Illiac
Will the new Piston Honda go into LFO territory?
arnoux
Flamey They look great and evil, PH and HD in my wishlist.
hednoize
...the expander unit that gets plugged into the back (8 bits of course).

Will the expander for the original PH plug into the back of the PH mkII, or is it a new expander unit?
ettubaby
hednoize wrote:
...the expander unit that gets plugged into the back (8 bits of course).

Will the expander for the original PH plug into the back of the PH mkII, or is it a new expander unit?

The say its 6 slots and its 8bits so probably is. The problem with the expander is that no one has them in stock.
Oldstench
Goodness. These look peachy-neato. love
migrations
fuuuuck I had no idea about any of these! was looking into getting a piston honda, but maybe I'll just wait for v2!? phenomenal looking modules coming down the pipeline
recoba
Any news on when this will get released? Got some money burning a hole in My pocket.
mapmap
i really want one of these...
i love the slides in the new mkII's
maxwellravitz
Can't wait for the PHmkII!! The e350 is getting replaced methinks...
authorless
I was just masturbating to Zorlon Cannon videos on Youtube. Masturbation, technically, isn't the right word, but you understand that. I need that new Zorlon Cannon, how else will am I going to destroy the evil Qotile?
digital_steve
authorless wrote:
I was just masturbating to Zorlon Cannon videos on Youtube. Masturbation, technically, isn't the right word, but you understand that. I need that new Zorlon Cannon, how else will am I going to destroy the evil Qotile?

Is the new Zorlon Cannon still going to be able to be normalized to the Qotile Ultimatum?
the83
digital_steve wrote:
authorless wrote:

Is the new Zorlon Cannon still going to be able to be normalized to the Qotile Ultimatum?

Looks like there are mix outs for both sides, so you presumably don't need the Qotile Ultimatum to achieve the same result.
ewox
These look great. Huge UI improvement thumbs up
digital_steve
the83 wrote:
digital_steve wrote:
authorless wrote:

Looks like there are mix outs for both sides, so you presumably don't need the Qotile Ultimatum to achieve the same result.

That's what I figured personally, just didn't want to make the assumption without someone else saying it first so I don't look like a dick.
AcousmatiK
Illiac wrote:

I doubt it Will but that would be awesome !!! zombie
rydan
AcousmatiK wrote:
Illiac wrote:

Well you can always run it from a separate ordinary LFO using the external input if you want to run it at LFO rates.
AcousmatiK
Sweet! Nice idea !!! applause

I really need to find a Piston Honda MKI with expander... very frustrating
digital_steve
AcousmatiK wrote:
Sweet! Nice idea !!! applause

I really need to find a Piston Honda MKI with expander... very frustrating

Good luck
Just wait until the V2 is released and there will be a few people will offload I'm guessing.
Count Edlington
AcousmatiK wrote:
Illiac wrote:

Not sure either but there is a range button on it seriously, i just don't get it that would really be the icing on the cake for me!
AcousmatiK
digital_steve wrote:

Good luck
Just wait until the V2 is released and there will be a few people will offload I'm guessing.

Yes indeed!!!
I am waiting for this moment to happen!!! help
But it will come when it will come...The wind will decide... d'oh!
razz
AcousmatiK
Count Edlington wrote:
AcousmatiK wrote:
Illiac wrote:

Not sure either but there is a range button on it seriously, i just don't get it that would really be the icing on the cake for me!

Yes good point, specially placed here in this section it may be possible... nuts nuts nuts love w00t
nearly ghost
Count Edlington wrote:
AcousmatiK wrote:
Illiac wrote:

+1 Range could suggest it does love
mapmap
anyone heard an eta on the mark II?
rydan
mapmap wrote:

Yup, but the ETA I've heard for both HDmk2 and PHmk2 was may, so...

(And, just to be clear, that ETA wasn't from the Harvestman himself...)
unease
rydan wrote:
mapmap wrote:

Well, he did meantion March as a possible ETA on his facebook...
rydan
unease wrote:
rydan wrote:
mapmap wrote:

Yeah, but did he say what year? hmmm..... sad banana eek! hihi
unease
rydan wrote:
unease wrote:
rydan wrote:
mapmap wrote:

Yeah, but did he say what year? hmmm..... sad banana eek! hihi

Quite obviously not this year anyway... seriously, i just don't get it cry
governor blacksnake
It's close. Hertz Donut is in production now, Zorlon Cannon follows immediately afterwards, then Piston Honda after that.
lorenzovektor
applause
unease
It's close. Hertz Donut is in production now, Zorlon Cannon follows immediately afterwards, then Piston Honda after that.

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Rex Coil 7
Any idea of what the PHmkII is going to cost?
matttech
rydan wrote:
AcousmatiK wrote:
Illiac wrote:

Well you can always run it from a separate ordinary LFO using the external input if you want to run it at LFO rates.

NOOO!

why didn’t i think of that before i sold it????!!

still....had a LOT of fun while i had it. may well pick up a mk2 at some point
buddard

So did all this make it into the final version?
governor blacksnake
Here's how the morphing works:

- All waveforms are 8 bits and can still be written with the wave256 software. In the default mode the waves can be morphed in three dimensions, the third morphing across ROM chips. This maintains the classic character of the original Piston, but somehow more stable.

- The external input does not morph waveforms, but features a very nice linear interpolation between adjacent samples in the wavetable, up to an effective 16 bit resolution. This sounds like the "smoothed" mode of the original Piston, but more noticeable.

- The "Mode" button swaps these functions - when activated, the internal oscillator will not morph, but generate very smooth waveforms, and the external input will do the 3-dimensional morphing into an 8-bit table.

- Yes, the internal oscillator does a good, slow LFO mode just like the Hertz Donut II.

- It will cost the same as a Hertz Donut II, release in 1 month.
buddard
I'm really looking forward to it now!
robotopsy
Any news on the super expander or another batch of the piston honda 1 expander !?!? we're not worthy
digital_steve
robotopsy
No.
robotopsy
I'm drowning into eternal sadness very frustrating
cry
Dead Banana
Dead Banana
ignatius

- All waveforms are 8 bits and can still be written with the wave256 software. In the default mode the waves can be morphed in three dimensions, the third morphing across ROM chips. This maintains the classic character of the original Piston, but somehow more stable.

- The external input does not morph waveforms, but features a very nice linear interpolation between adjacent samples in the wavetable, up to an effective 16 bit resolution. This sounds like the "smoothed" mode of the original Piston, but more noticeable.

- The "Mode" button swaps these functions - when activated, the internal oscillator will not morph, but generate very smooth waveforms, and the external input will do the 3-dimensional morphing into an 8-bit table.

- Yes, the internal oscillator does a good, slow LFO mode just like the Hertz Donut II.

- It will cost the same as a Hertz Donut II, release in 1 month.

shit. this sounds awesome. gonna have to figure out how to hang more HP off my case seriously, i just don't get it

the hole in my case for the ZorlonCanon MKII might have a new orange neighbor.
unease

When you say it doesn't morph in this mode, you mean it will use one fixed waveform? How do you select that one waveform? Or do you mean that it will change waveform, just not "morph" (interpolate) between them?

Real LFO-rates will be incredible useful with this module!

/TOmmy
governor blacksnake
You can still select the waveform with the three axis controls in this mode, but it will not interpolate between the waves. A crude way of describing the two modes would be: "8 bit waveforms that morph in 3 dimensions, or 16 bit waves that don't."
unease
You can still select the waveform with the three axis controls in this mode, but it will not interpolate between the waves. A crude way of describing the two modes would be: "8 bit waveforms that morph in 3 dimensions, or 16 bit waves that don't."

Ah, that makes sense! Either you have interpolation between different waves or you have interpolation between samples within each wave. Thanks for the fast answer!

/TOmmy
wavehead
sounds really cool... curious what lead to deciding the waves should remain 8bit (weren't they 16bit previously - with the og 8-bit and new 16-bit banks)? does it still have more wave content, or is that for later with the expander?
spaztikk
Do not know if this helps the thread but here are a picture of goodies.
From instagram.

burnn_out!
Can it process cv signals through the external input? I want a megawave but this maybe an even more useful alternative...
rydan
burnn_out! wrote:
Can it process cv signals through the external input? I want a megawave but this maybe an even more useful alternative...

mk1 can, so would surprise me if the mk2 couldn't...
Entrainer
There's a photo of a working prototype from Knobcon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/modularwild/9759259913/in/set-72157635527 094362

anyone hear it?
Fleggy
Seen on The Harvestman FB that this and the new Zorlon Cannon are expected to hit retailers soon. Anyone any idea how soon?
unease
From Harvestmans FB:
"Piston Honda and Zorlon Cannon are complete and begin shipping tomorrow."

Finally! I pre-ordered one from Escape from Noise last week so I'm really hoping they will get some of the first shipments! Rockin' Banana!
buddard
unease wrote:

Finally! I pre-ordered one from Escape from Noise last week so I'm really hoping they will get some of the first shipments! Rockin' Banana!

Me too! thumbs up

Let's hope the EFN gets a piece of the first btach! hyper
makro
I'm shaking hyper

Anybody knows if the PistonHonda ROM Expander is shipping too?
My Set of Brandon Smith's Roms is still veeery lonely...
FatRocky
is the expander working in the new PH?
governor blacksnake
The expander works a little differently: load it up with 6 chips, and then you can overwrite the internal banks A-F with your own waveforms. Then you can detach the expander, only one use per waveform change is necessary.

Both the expander and programmer boards will be in production in December. The programmer board can update firmware on older modules and write Piston ROMs using a pickit2.
governor blacksnake
To clarify: this is the exact same expander board as the mk1 version.
FatRocky
I have to get a pickit2 and learn how to use it

Thanks
governor blacksnake
http://www.theharvestman.org/1991mk2.php
buddard

Both the expander and programmer boards will be in production in December. The programmer board can update firmware on older modules and write Piston ROMs using a pickit2.

OK, now I know what I want for christmas. w00t
robotopsy
Wow... !!! time to start saving some money !!!! nanners
dan_k

Is the Super Expander still in the works?

I've got a ton of ROMS and I'd like to have them all available rather than having to switching out.

thanks!
makro
dan_k wrote:

I've got a ton of ROMS and I'd like to have them all available rather than having to switching out.

thanks!

Dude, you just need some more piston hondas and expanders hihi

Alternatively, if its possible to generate .256 files from the roms, you could import them via midi/sysex into like a Doepfer A-112 or similar device...
dan_k
makro wrote:
dan_k wrote:

thanks!

Dude, you just need some more piston hondas and expanders hihi

Alternatively, if its possible to generate .256 files from the roms, you could import them via midi/sysex into like a Doepfer A-112 or similar device...

uh thanks.. I'd rather just settle with a super expander or stackable regular expanders.

The super expander was slated for 12 roms, and I've got 10 waiting..
makro
Sorry, that should have been a joke oops

I would be glad to have the regular expander. theres a new chance around december...
If theres a chance that the gov releases some more info about the expander, maybe some wizard of the DIY/electronics people could come up with a new project like a stackable expander. however, for me it would be good enough to custom-build the regular one.

Such a nice VCO, good roms out there too, but still no chance for using them help
EnricoGaruda
Wait for demos applause
dan_k
makro wrote:
Sorry, that should have been a joke oops

I would be glad to have the regular expander. theres a new chance around december...
If theres a chance that the gov releases some more info about the expander, maybe some wizard of the DIY/electronics people could come up with a new project like a stackable expander. however, for me it would be good enough to custom-build the regular one.

Such a nice VCO, good roms out there too, but still no chance for using them help

No worries all good. Guinness ftw!

Yeah, I'd just like to know how to plan.

Ideally the Super expander is still on the horizon. If it's not, I'll buy a regular one possibly two and go from there.

My preference would be to have them all available at one time. Like on the Megawave.
ettubaby
What it looks like is that its not going to be 16bit like mentioned a while back. its all 8bit. Its going to have 16 wave tables with the last 6 user definable. Its going to use the same expander, but on the new piston, it will save the user waves onto the piston, so the expander will be more of a rom loader. So I doubt you will see a super expander anytime soon.
makro
what exactly does it make look to you like its not 16 bit?
As far as i remember, only the epander roms should be 8 bit wide.
Any light on this? seriously, i just don't get it

I think i have to keep my PH1 and maybe sell it AFTER i bought and tried the new Piston Honda.
Veqtor
If the processing is in 16 bits I expect there will be some kind of interpolation, which in itself could be cool.
edit:
Did anyone else see this?
Quote:
Thru-zero frequency modulation input.

HOLY FUCK w00t SlayerBadger!
buddard
Veqtor wrote:
If the processing is in 16 bits I expect there will be some kind of interpolation, which in itself could be cool.
edit:
Did anyone else see this?
Quote:
Thru-zero frequency modulation input.

HOLY FUCK w00t SlayerBadger!

Yep, I noticed this as well... I'm pretty stoked right now! SlayerBadger!

I think it's going to get along very well with my Subcon M15's indeed. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
makro
Oh, man...
I think for me there is no other option than buying a PH2 and keeping the old one.
But its good, just need to save more money or sell more gear.
analogue01
makro wrote:
what exactly does it make look to you like its not 16 bit?

From the manual: "Piston Honda MKII has 16 waveform ROMs onboard, each holding 256 8-bit waves."
unease
Read Govs post on page 8 in this thread. The wave data is still 8bit but you can have smoothing of the waves that produce the equivalent to 16bit. However, that will disable the morphing between waves - you can not have both smoothing and morphing at the same time.
AUDJAG666
Has anyone heard demos yet?
VanEck
Demo of raw OSC output demonstrating 3D interpolation, posted on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/harvestman/piston-honda-mk-3-dimensional

Also the manual is online:

http://analoghaven.com/theharvestman/pistonhondamkii/manual.pdf

The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING
unease
VanEck wrote:
Demo of raw OSC output demonstrating 3D interpolation, posted on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/harvestman/piston-honda-mk-3-dimensional
The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING The Harvestman MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Cool! It definitely still sound like a Piston Honda, raw, complex and noisy :-)
makro
now, after all the additional info, its an easy decision for me.
I'll buy the new one, but i'll keep the old one too.
reignbear
unease wrote:

Cool! It definitely still sound like a Piston Honda, raw, complex and noisy :-)

I agree, sounds great! also, after reading the manual, through-zero fm! was that already known info? either way super exciting SlayerBadger!
larhule
Thanks for linking the mk2 manual. Is there a similar list of the factory ROM contents for the mk1? I don't see anything on the Harvestman PHmk1 page:

http://www.theharvestman.org/1991.php
buddard
larhule wrote:
Thanks for linking the mk2 manual. Is there a similar list of the factory ROM contents for the mk1? I don't see anything on the Harvestman PHmk1 page:

I think mk1 only had two factory ROMs, and they are both included as ROMs 8 and 9 on the mk2:

8 - old Factory (noisy) Scott Jaeger
9 - old Factory B (additive) Scott Jaeger

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Arcade Sinusoid
All those Roms! 8_)
governor blacksnake
You are correct!

buddard wrote:
larhule wrote:

I think mk1 only had two factory ROMs, and they are both included as ROMs 8 and 9 on the mk2:

8 - old Factory (noisy) Scott Jaeger
9 - old Factory B (additive) Scott Jaeger

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
zombie-j
piston honda mk2 pre-order with 10/16-10/17 ship date at AH!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
makro
i am about to order.
costs me 420 Euro including shipping.
its much, but its worth it, i think. if it would be 100 euros less, i could afford to keep my piston honda V1. however...
rico loverde
got mine today! it sounds fanfuckingtastic!!! so happy to have a PH again! Thanx Scott and Juliana, you guys are the greatest!
ignatius
rico loverde wrote:
got mine today! it sounds fanfuckingtastic!!! so happy to have a PH again! Thanx Scott and Juliana, you guys are the greatest!

i'll have to stop by some time and check it out smile or maybe wander into control voltage and check it out there.. CV is getting all the harvestman stuff smile

congrats on getting your PH again!
KNYST
unease wrote:
Read Govs post on page 8 in this thread. The wave data is still 8bit but you can have smoothing of the waves that produce the equivalent to 16bit. However, that will disable the morphing between waves - you can not have both smoothing and morphing at the same time.

^
Makes one eager to listen to some clips, right? (yes, I've heard the gov's example, but found it too buzzy)
If anyone could upload something covering this, I'd be delighted: sweeps through some of the more hi-end/clean sounding waveforms, comparing non smoothed sound vs smoothed, and morphed vs smoothed morphed sound.
thumbs up
Fleggy
KNYST wrote:
unease wrote:

^
Makes one eager to listen to some clips, right? (yes, I've heard the gov's example, but found it too buzzy)
If anyone could upload something covering this, I'd be delighted: sweeps through some of the more hi-end/clean sounding waveforms, comparing non smoothed sound vs smoothed, and morphed vs smoothed morphed sound.
thumbs up

Bump! and +1 for this request
makro
If you can wait about two weeks, i could make a short demo with smooting on/off, using some softer sounding waveforms. first i need the money, then there will be additional 3-4 days of shipping between me and the PH2 in my rack...
pauk
Just ordered mine in modular square!!
Dying to put my hands on it It's motherfucking bacon yo
makro
Ordered mine today.
Shipping will take 3-5 days.
Counting down hyper
Fleggy
makro wrote:
If you can wait about two weeks, i could make a short demo with smooting on/off, using some softer sounding waveforms. first i need the money, then there will be additional 3-4 days of shipping between me and the PH2 in my rack...

Ordered mine today.
Shipping will take 3-5 days.
Counting down

Congrats man, it would be greatly appreciated if you could get a demo up. thumbs up
Alwaysnew
Yeah, where are all the demos?

eek! hyper eek!
VanEck
Mine arrived today...

makro
beautyful!

i was always asking myself how good the new Honda will be looking besides my E340. Thanks to your pic, i got the satisfying answer a few days before mounting it hihi
suboptimal
Gotta love the look of these new modules. The PH2 is totally badass looking. Maybe one day . . .
the83
[s]http://soundcloud.com/theronhumiston/piston-honda-zorlon-cannon[/s]

Here's a little demo. I don't really know what I'm doing yet, as I never had the original Piston Honda, but it was really easy to get all kinds of strange sounds. Patch notes:

The upper half of the Zorlon Cannon is sequencing the Piston Honda as well as the bottom half of the Zorlon Cannon.

The bottom half of the Zorlon Cannon is running through the external input of the Piston Honda. A Doepfer quad LFO is modulating the wave, bank, rom, and morph discontinuity of the Piston Honda. The internal and external outputs of the Piston Honda are summed with an Optomix. I messed around with different settings, and wiggled some knobs. No external effects were used.
Arcade Sinusoid
^^^^ great stuff! Thanks for the tune applause
Fleggy
Nice thumbs up
Alwaysnew
Ah, great! Seems like I won't have to regret ordering one the other day!

Thanks the83 !
ether
the83 wrote:

Here's a little demo. I don't really know what I'm doing yet, as I never had the original Piston Honda, but it was really easy to get all kinds of strange sounds. Patch notes:

The upper half of the Zorlon Cannon is sequencing the Piston Honda as well as the bottom half of the Zorlon Cannon.

The bottom half of the Zorlon Cannon is running through the external input of the Piston Honda. A Doepfer quad LFO is modulating the wave, bank, rom, and morph discontinuity of the Piston Honda. The internal and external outputs of the Piston Honda are summed with an Optomix. I messed around with different settings, and wiggled some knobs. No external effects were used.

Goddamnit that's awesome and now I have to sell my MK1 and buy it.
boramx
to clarify this for me---

the previous version had a switch to go between internal and external waveform driving.

now, the external input is processed by the same waveform that the internal waveform is processed by?

therefore if they are at different frequencies the two outputs will be the same wave at different frequencies?

also, i guess it wouldn't actually be the same wave since the external could be something non-linear. is the internal wave a sawtooth, like a traditional wavetable driver?
governor blacksnake
Yes, the same selected wavetable is used to process both internal and external signals. The internal driving wave is a saw, but I recommend to use a triangle or sine for "normal" use of the external input, it works best with the variable gain that the PH offers.

The output of the internal osc is normalled to the external input - when the right wavetable is selected you can get some awesome torn-speaker sounds, and the differences between the un-morphed external signal and morphed internal osc lead to some interesting and very dramatic timbral changes with subtle movements of any of the wavetable controls.

boramx wrote:
to clarify this for me---

the previous version had a switch to go between internal and external waveform driving.

now, the external input is processed by the same waveform that the internal waveform is processed by?

therefore if they are at different frequencies the two outputs will be the same wave at different frequencies?

also, i guess it wouldn't actually be the same wave since the external could be something non-linear. is the internal wave a sawtooth, like a traditional wavetable driver?
burnn_out!
So glad I ordered 1 of these... screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
unease
the83 wrote:

Cool! Sound almost like some kind of granular processing at times :-)
makro
got mine today SlayerBadger!

i had the time for a quick test. and man, this vco almost makes my speakers move around the "studio" smile compared to my A-112 it sounds really fat.
with TZFM and the right wavetable its possible to make alien-like quality noise, now i can safely sell my FoH IMP, i can remodel all the noisy drones with the PH2, fm-ed by the E-340's clouds.

PH2 is a must-buy, in my opinion...

Excpect a demo within the next 5 days or so nanners

Thanks, governour blacksnake, for doing it right again thumbs up
VanEck
makro wrote:
i can remodel all the noisy drones with the PH2, fm-ed by the E-340's clouds.

PH2 is a must-buy, in my opinion...

I hear that... I too was experimenting with the TZFM by using my e340 as the modulation source on day 1. Good stuff.

My work schedule is balls right now, so I haven't been able to dive in too much, but I can definitely say based on my experiences so far that the PHmkII is my favorite OSC I've ever put my hands on.

I had high hopes for it, and started rebuilding this rig around it conceptually way before they were released. It is definitely living up to my expectations and I have no regret buying two of them.

PHmkII is what "digital" is all about. Next level future shit right here.
evs
This - is - awesome.
Need - money - now.
makro
Quote:
Next level future shit right here

evolution...
same concept (genes), more abilities, more flexible.
I thought about getting a gamma wave source instead, some weeks ago, but when i read the "manual" the first time, there was no more decision to be made. A short period of doubt, nothing more hihi
Funky40
shit Dead Banana
wavehead
guys.... seriously, ONE demo!?? that's just not even fair.

this thing sounds amazing... the thru-zero FM is a really cool feature to have on a wavetable device like this (on top of everything else of course) and i usually assume it's only good for scrambled garble digital-ness (which is cool too). i would love to hear what the FM sounds like starting with less harmonic waves and sine/tri input (or whatever) - then moving into digital shredding territory.
wavehead
VanEck wrote:
Mine arrived today...

are you thinking of primarily using the ufold before external waveform sources or after the PHs? this is pretty ridiculous... it's hard enough taming that thing with sine waves sometimes. everyone describes the ufold as "clean" and i can see why it would be described that way, but that trio is going to sound like a swarm of razor grains coming into you ears.
Hainbach
For PH 1 users that now have PH2 - does it have the same gritty tone as the PH1?
VanEck
wavehead wrote:

are you thinking of primarily using the ufold before external waveform sources or after the PHs? this is pretty ridiculous... it's hard enough taming that thing with sine waves sometimes. everyone describes the ufold as "clean" and i can see why it would be described that way, but that trio is going to sound like a swarm of razor grains coming into you ears.

I am actually waiting to score a second uFold on the used market. I want one available for each Piston, either for processing the Piston's outputs, or for shaping the waves I feed into the Piston's external input beforehand.

I've been pretty much building this rig around the Pistons, planning out modules that I felt would compliment them and help me unleash their potential. Having dual uFolds I felt was a must for increasing the amount of possible sounds and shapes.
VanEck
Hainbach wrote:
For PH 1 users that now have PH2 - does it have the same gritty tone as the PH1?

Absolutely... with the potential for sounding smoother and cleaner if desired. Also the original A/B ROMS are included in the default ROM bank on the mkII's.
Funky40
so how you guys get along with the 0-5V only CV inputs.
am i right, a 5V/-5V LFO would need attenuation bevore the onboard attenuator ? ...........beside the offset

..........still scratching my head, ...i want so much a PH2......not shure on it.
rydan
Funky40 wrote:
so how you guys get along with the 0-5V only CV inputs.
am i right, a 5V/-5V LFO would need attenuation bevore the onboard attenuator ? ...........beside the offset

..........still scratching my head, ...i want so much a PH2......not shure on it.

Yeah. That's a seriously strange design decision. bipolar CV ins would have been so very much better (you could, for instance, have used the LFO range of the HDmk2 to sweep stuff properly...). Also, bipolar inputs for 1V/oct would likely have meant that the first semitone tracking problem (same as on the HD mk2) wouldn't have happened.

That said, even with these flaws, I would take the PH mk2 over the mk1 any day of the week. It's a fantastic oscillator!
VanEck
The positive only modulation has not been an issue for me thus far. I do most of my PHmkII modulation using sequencers like Brains+PP, and other positive only modulation sources. I didn't even notice that it does not accept negative until I tried to use an inverted envelope... not a deal breaker for me by any means.
jdev
Now that the PH2 is shipping, could someone please post a demo? Thanks in advance! hyper
101010oxo
I'd be interested in the build quality, esp. the pots. I own a HD (Mk I) and I really very much like the sound, but not at all the wobbly knobs...
nrdvrgr
Wobbly knobs does not equal bad build quality.
unease
It's here, and it lights up my rack in a really nice way! :-)

Arcade Sinusoid
PH 2 arrives today hyper
Alwaysnew
so how many mA?
I still don't understand why that's not revealed for a lot of modules.

seriously, i just don't get it
unease
Some first thoughts about the PH2 after a few hours:

- Build quality and layout
There has been some talk about wobbly knobs on the Harvestman modules and I agree that the feel of the knobs is not as first class as on, say Livewire. Also on my PH, the large pitch knob seem to touch the panel so that it gets a bit harder to turn when it's pointing straight up. It's probably easy to fix, but anyway - it's not premium feel.
What I do like is the layout of the module - it's clear and the controls are reasonably easy to access despite the number of jacks and knobs in a tight space. Also, having attenuverters for every CV input is fantastic! I don't mind that these knobs are a bit small and less tweakable, just having them there is really valuable. It is somewhat odd that the CV signals are only 0 to +5V and not -5 to +5V, so you would still need some external CV processor adding offset if you would like to modulate something with an oscillator/LFO which puts out negative voltages. It will still work but the signal will be rectified.

- Sound
This is my first wavetable module so I don't have any hands on experience with e.g. E350. But I have listened to a lot of demos and compared to what I've heard from other similar modules I can say that the PH2 really is a glitch monster! More so than I had expected. There are soo many ways that you can make it sound broken and bent. "Broken by design" is a good description. For me this is mostly good because that was what I wanted! :-) But someone looking for smooth and clean probably should look elsewhere.
It does produce smooth transitions between waveforms when the morph feature is activated but then the actual waveforms aren't exactly clean. If you engage the smoothing of the waveforms (which disables the morph between waveforms) the sound cleans up considerably but since the morphing is now disabled you need to tweak the wave selection carefully so that you don't get any glitching noise from being on the edge between waveforms.
Also, one thing I noted about the morphing is that if it is activated for all three dimensions (which is default) the sound of each waveform will be very different compared to when morphing is deactivated or "Morph Discontinuity" is set at maximum. It often get pretty noisy and I's almost like switching to some other wavebank! It turns out that deactivating morphing for all but one axis will get you closer to the original sound of that wavebank and still enable smooth transitions. I guess this is because, when morphing is enabled on all three axis, the waveform heard is actually a mix of all the adjacent waveforms - in all dimensions.
Another thing, if you like it on the dirtier side, is to use the external output even though you have nothing plugged into the external input. As Guv explained earlier in this thread, the "internal out" is normalled to the external in and this produces some really broken and twisted sounds! :-)

PH2 really opens up a world of strange and glitchy sounds - just like I hoped it would! and I think it will take a LOT of time exploring all the possibilities. I still haven't tried it as a waveshaper on more complex sounds, and then you can add even more ROMs...
lintfresh
More demos please!
101010oxo
nrdvrgr wrote:
Wobbly knobs does not equal bad build quality.

I didn't say that. Only that I don't care for wobbly knobs....
unease
Some demos right here! Not very musical at all, more demos of certain features/characteristics of the PH2. The audio is taken directly from the module, only modulation is coming from other modules.

The first demo is just an example of the difference it makes what axis have morphing activated. When morphing is active for all three axis the sound of one wavebank may sound completely different than without morphing. Turning off morphing for the axis that are not modulated will get you much closer to the original sound of that wavebank.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/piston-honda-mkii[/s]

Second demo is of the through zero FM of the Honda, first with just a simple sine wave and then with modulation of the Y and Z axis. The modulation comes from a sine wave of a AFG. Later in the clip I change output from the Internal output to the External output, which produces some really glitchy distorted sounds hihi
[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/piston-honda-mk-ii-fm[/s]
Fleggy
Nice demos, thanks for sharing.
unease
Deleted post...
Funky40
unease, thanks for the Demos and writup.
very informative for me
wavehead
those demos are perfect, thanks.
not perfect for saving 5 bills tho.
unease
Another, slightly more musical, demo. I decided I wanted to make some drumbeat with the Piston by just modulating pitch and wavetable axes. Everything is modulated from Cubase through my Paia MIDI-CV. There signal is taken directly from the Piston, so there is no VCA involved - thus the continuous flabby basstone thumbs up

[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/piston-honda-mkii-beat[/s]
sauce
Thats rad unease! I just picked mine up today from Control Voltage!!! I have a new world to begin exploring....
sauce
Here is a bit of a demo.

This patch is just Turing Machine, Maths doing some clocking, attenuation, and a bit of portamento at the end, and the Piston Honda straight out unfiltered. Some tweaking going on, switch it up a few times.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/bangback/ph_twotwo[/s]
unease
sauce wrote:
Here is a bit of a demo.

This patch is just Turing Machine, Maths doing some clocking, attenuation, and a bit of portamento at the end, and the Piston Honda straight out unfiltered. Some tweaking going on, switch it up a few times.

Cool demo! The PH2 is a really great module to generate complex sounds with little effort!

To get to know the PH2 a little better, I went through each wavebank with only the X-axis being modulated with a slow triangle wave just to get a feel for what each bank is useful for. It's easy to just go wild with modulation to everything and make it spit out random waves SlayerBadger! , but since some of the wavebanks are made for particular uses I gathered I'd zoom in each one to see what they had to offer. So far these are the ones that I thought stood out in some way:

3. Bosch Gardens: This bank is the smoothest of all. For clean evolving sounds, I'd use this bank primarily.

4. 1 μp NES/SID: This one contains samples from SID chip and can be used to make some classic SID sounds as described here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0smtiBk6cI .

5. Allophones: This one is great for pseudo speech sounds, robot talk kind of sounds.

7. Chebyshev: This one I guess is meant to be used for wave shaping with different distortion curves. This one doesn't sound all that interesting if you use it with the internal oscillator.

Please fill in with your findings!
sauce
Also, just saw this on Harvestman's face book

Quote:
If you encounter a Piston Honda for sale with center detents in the sliders, it's stolen property.
clusterchord
@unease:

as someone about to get the PH2, i can't thank you enough for the review and demos This is fun!

btw, listening to the beginning of the second demo, theres quite a bit of background noise/hum.. that even gets amplified when you flip the switch later.. is this all from the module, or?

would you say the module is noisy,?, i mean as unwanted bkgrnd noise, not the actual crazy noisy sounds one chooses to make with it..

thanks
unease
clusterchord wrote:
@unease:

as someone about to get the PH2, i can't thank you enough for the review and demos This is fun!

btw, listening to the beginning of the second demo, theres quite a bit of background noise/hum.. that even gets amplified when you flip the switch later.. is this all from the module, or?

would you say the module is noisy,?, i mean as unwanted bkgrnd noise, not the actual crazy noisy sounds one chooses to make with it..

thanks

Your're welcome! Surprisingly few demos and little talk about the new Harvestman modules I think.

When it comes to the noise, it is from the module itself. It's not analogue noise but rather interpolation noise that varies with wavetables used. As I mentioned earlier I think the Bosh Gardens ROM is probably the cleanest of them all but I think there is always some noise going on more or less. I should do some demo with cleaner waves!
sauce
If you turn the morphing off, a lot of that noise goes away, and you can get some pretty clean waveforms.

Some more things I made with my PHmkII

[s]http://soundcloud.com/bangback/ph_space[/s]
[s]http://soundcloud.com/bangback/ph_getinthevang[/s]
thebrotherspus
I'm sure the new Intellijel Shapeshifter module is capable of all sorts of crazy stuff... but to be honest, all these PHmkII demos seem a lot more interesting to my ears.
.....i realize it's an apples and oranges thing, however....
unease
Thought I'd post some less noisy tones from the Piston to show its smoother sides. This is four takes of the PH through a BL Diode filter with some delay and reverb added in Cubase:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/smoothpiston[/s]
Fleggy
Awesome stuff unease applause

I've also been enjoying the hell outta my PH Mk2 since getting it a couple of weeks ago.
Jdm
Guinness ftw!
VanEck
Posted a thread/video demonstrating the more subdued and gentle side of the Piston Honda mkII if any is interested.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99595
sauce
I made another drone, now with Malgorithm MkII adding a bit more texture.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/bangback/d_zone[/s]
evs
how slow can the PH mk2 be as a LFO?
AcousmatiK
Does someone know the mA consumption of the piston mkII ?
Would like to know for the zorlon mkII as well hmmm.....

Cheers
clusterchord
unease wrote:
Thought I'd post some less noisy tones from the Piston to show its smoother sides. This is four takes of the PH through a BL Diode filter with some delay and reverb added in Cubase:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/smoothpiston[/s]

nice theme. and that BL filter sounds awesome.

PS i was thinking all the time where do i know your nick from, and it just hit me while hearing this; you made those incredible Pro One demos years back, and re-created the Vince Clarke settings for "Don't Go" thumbs up
unease
clusterchord wrote:

nice theme. and that BL filter sounds awesome.

PS i was thinking all the time where do i know your nick from, and it just hit me while hearing this; you made those incredible Pro One demos years back, and re-created the Vince Clarke settings for "Don't Go" thumbs up

Thanks a lot! The demos are still up on http://www.unease.se/proone.htm.
Electronicaz
I'm so confused about what to go for.... PH, braids, GW...... seriously, i just don't get it
matttech
unease wrote:
Another, slightly more musical, demo. I decided I wanted to make some drumbeat with the Piston by just modulating pitch and wavetable axes. Everything is modulated from Cubase through my Paia MIDI-CV. There signal is taken directly from the Piston, so there is no VCA involved - thus the continuous flabby basstone thumbs up

[s]http://soundcloud.com/unease-1/piston-honda-mkii-beat[/s]

that’s SUCH a cool patch! - really isn’t helping my PH mk2 GAS though......have had a few drinks, and the idea of dropping a brand new PH into the post modular shopping basket is seeming pretty appealing

the thing is, as soon as i do that someone will offer to trade me one for my e350. or sell one in the BST. happens every time!

must hold out.............. sad banana
unease
Thanks a lot Matttech! You knew you wanted one even before it was released, just do it!! w00t

/TOmmy
evs
sauce wrote:
I made another drone, now with Malgorithm MkII adding a bit more texture.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/bangback/d_zone[/s]

awesome!! we're not worthy
buddard
Here's a jam I "filmed" (sorry about the shoddy camera work) a couple of months ago when I received my PH, I had forgotten all about it:

(Link)

The whole patch is derived from a tempo synced LFO I sent out from Reason -- I used Maths EOR to dial in the kick "groove". The kick sound is ADE-20 through Plague Bearer and MMG, but all the rest is PH going through the E440.
unease
Cool buddard! I like how the PH sounds through the E440 - it adds a lot of meat!
buddard
unease wrote:
I like how the PH sounds through the E440 - it adds a lot of meat!

Yeah, I love the contrast between the cold digital harshness of the PH and the creamy analog fatness of the E440.

Another match made in heaven is PH and Optomix -- Together they're unbeatable for percussive basslines, especially under heavy modulation of damp/control on Optomix and x/y/z/FM on PH. For a nice stereo effect I route the Internal and External outputs to separate Optomix channels, which I provide with slightly different amounts/phases of modulation.
unease
Audio demo or it didn't happen! hyper Seriously, would love to hear that!
buddard
unease wrote:
Audio demo or it didn't happen! hyper Seriously, would love to hear that!

I don't have a clean demo as such available, but I used this technique on a "remix" (or rather reconstruction since I only used the vocal stem from the original) I made for fun two weeks ago:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/136354124" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

It's the 1/16 bassline that goes through basically the entire song, and it's the element that I build the entire remix around. I especially like the way it "breaks down" at the very end. (I think I just turned up the Damp knobs to max or something like that)

Actually all the sounds in this remix were created in my modular, but I only used PH for the bass sound. The rest is Subcon M15 (x2) and VCNoiz through various filters & waveshapers.
unease
Really great remix! The bass sound have a lot of life to it, almost like some guitar riff and I also really like the effect at the end where it breaks up. But the drum sounds and other synth sounds are also killer!
buddard
Thanks!

I found another recording lying around in my Dropbox, from when I just received the Optomix and tried it with PH for the first time. It's another 1/16 bassline (I love those), this time in mono with more focus on evolving the timbre. This bass sound definitely has more punch to it than the one I used in the remix, and I think it's a pretty good example of the more subtle stuff you can do with PH (especially in the part that starts at 0:48). It's when you start filtering this baby that you discover how much low end it has!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/138363667" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

(Link)
AcousmatiK
Hello,
I am very happy with my Piston Honda MKII, and even more since the last firmware update...
Here is a little one shot take with the PH making the glitchy shifty morphed sound!!! zombie

[s]https://soundcloud.com/acousmatik/tuning-my-microchipped-flies[/s]
buddard
AcousmatiK wrote:
Hello,
I am very happy with my Piston Honda MKII, and even more since the last firmware update...
Here is a little one shot take with the PH making the glitchy shifty morphed sound!!! zombie

That's a brilliant track!

I haven't updated my PH yet, so I'm wondering what was improved in the new version? What was the most drastic change in your opinion?
AcousmatiK
Thanks wink
Well I don't know wich firmware I used to have because it was a second hand module, but the last firmware brings a better pitch stability and morph interpolation is really better now...It is less harsh and have less bright noise now when you have the 3 axis open to interpolation...
Before that I could never modulate more than one axis because it would bring too much noise...
Now it is really softer and cleaner to my ears...Even if I do like noise smile
Can't wait to update my zorlon now... hyper and to have at last a PH expander!!! angry
unease
Excellent demos guys! Sounds good with the improved interpolation, I also find myself disabling interpolation for one or two axes a lot of the time in order to avoid noise. And I also like noise! thumbs up
mallarme
[s]https://soundcloud.com/solaristica/pisthonda-txture-uvcf-q-up[/s]
revoltcrews
ya know what would be sweet.
one of those nice illustrated manuals for the PH MK2,
like the ones for Maths.

-----
so, when the slider leds are lit, they are Not morphing. or visa verca.
revoltcrews
i'm kinda stumped at having to fork out 40$ on top of 495$ for some kit just to update my module.
and probably not going to do that.
Smacked in the head with a trout
revoltcrews
is there a way around spending money on a kit i'm only gonna use for one module at varying times ?
seems odd.
like, anything.
unease
I think some dealers can do it for you but then I guess you need to send them the module and they probably charge you for the work so I'm not sure how much less it will cost you in the end...
buddard
revoltcrews wrote:
is there a way around spending money on a kit i'm only gonna use for one module at varying times ?
seems odd.
like, anything.

Hey, since you live in Portland, why don't you ask Control Voltage if they can help you out? It seems they provide this service according to their service page.
revoltcrews
buddard wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:
seems odd.
like, anything.

Hey, since you live in Portland, why don't you ask Control Voltage if they can help you out? It seems they provide this service according to their service page.

thanks for that. had no idea.
just emailed jason. Rockin' Banana!
revoltcrews
Anyone know whats the voltage input recommendation/limit/etc for the x y z slider jacks ?

just picked up a LP1lightplane -
http://www.sound-machines.it/?page_id=45
..which outputs 0-5v or 0-10v based on jumper placement.
unease
revoltcrews wrote:
Anyone know whats the voltage input recommendation/limit/etc for the x y z slider jacks ?.

It actually says 0-5V right there on the panel! hihi It' one of the more informative panels!
robotopsy
I made a little expander panel with 3 switches to have access any time to the Voltage outputs of the LP1
verry simple and verry usefull

revoltcrews wrote:
Anyone know whats the voltage input recommendation/limit/etc for the x y z slider jacks ?

just picked up a LP1lightplane -
http://www.sound-machines.it/?page_id=45
..which outputs 0-5v or 0-10v based on jumper placement.

revoltcrews
unease wrote:
revoltcrews wrote:
Anyone know whats the voltage input recommendation/limit/etc for the x y z slider jacks ?.

It actually says 0-5V right there on the panel! hihi It' one of the more informative panels!

oh shit.
it was a long day. me eyes were crooked. thanks
Fastus
Just got the PH - wow, what an inspiring piece of gear. Especially great getting internal output AND waveshaping of external waveforms simultaneously. Also did a little FMing.

If you're on the fence about getting one of these - jump, pull the trigger whatever ya gotta do...

[s]https://soundcloud.com/problivion/second-day-with-the-piston[/s]
unease
Nice piece Fastus! I especially like the second part after ~1:30. The PH really can sound like a broken toy from hell! hihi
ozan
i love this machine.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/157580772" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
mats_j
The Piston Honda doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in Europeland. Will supplies be refilled sometime soon?
unease
Made a noisy drone using the PHII as the only sound source. You can really dial in a lot of interesting broken sounds on this thing! :-)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/unease-1/beyond-repair-1[/s]
thebrotherspus
unease wrote:
Made a noisy drone using the PHII as the only sound source. You can really dial in a lot of interesting broken sounds on this thing! :-)

Nice!! thumbs up Some beautiful textures in there.
I love my Piston Honda mkII.

So, I just ordered the bsmith eprom expander set. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but read in another thread that I need 6 eproms or I'll have some blank wave tables in the piston Honda. Does anyone know how/where to purchase two other (hopefully interesting sounding) eproms for the piston?
Thanks!
Voggg
^ same as above. I'd make my own but I don't have a PC.

Also, I noticed today that my External Gain CV doesn't have any effect. Anyone else have this problem?
m0rb1d
unease wrote:

Beautiful. thumbs up
Orbless
thebrotherspus wrote:

So, I just ordered the bsmith eprom expander set. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but read in another thread that I need 6 eproms or I'll have some blank wave tables in the piston Honda. Does anyone know how/where to purchase two other (hopefully interesting sounding) eproms for the piston?
Thanks!

I have been asking this question a lot without any answer. I put the new eproms in and now have some blank spaces. Wondering now if it is possible to revert back to the original.

Hoping for Scott to reply and fill us in on this.
Bambou
mats_j wrote:
The Piston Honda doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in Europeland. Will supplies be refilled sometime soon?

Interested too.
Endorfinity
torn between this and shapeshifter very frustrating
mats_j
Bambou wrote:
mats_j wrote:

Interested too.

Rubadub have them in stock!
Bambou
Thanks, I didn't think to check Rubadub.
Soju
I'm trying to decide between the piston honda and the e350. I think I've got a grip on some of the basic differences between the two. I know that the PH is generally known more for its gritty/glitchy qualities and the e350 for its smoother ones.

I'm not opposed to the crunchier textures, but I definitely want some smoother ones too. My question is, How far does a low pass filter go in regards to smoothing out the rougher edges of the PH? Can this get me a nice compromise between those two options?
Daisuk
Soju wrote:
I'm trying to decide between the piston honda and the e350. I think I've got a grip on some of the basic differences between the two. I know that the PH is generally known more for its gritty/glitchy qualities and the e350 for its smoother ones.

I'm not opposed to the crunchier textures, but I definitely want some smoother ones too. My question is, How far does a low pass filter go in regards to smoothing out the rougher edges of the PH? Can this get me a nice compromise between those two options?

Oh, man, I was torn between the two a few months ago as well. Ended up getting the E350 first, and then the Piston Honda later. I have to say, for me personally, the Piston Honda just wipes the floor with the E350. If you switch on the internal modulation and feed it say an LFO, and attenuate the modulation quite a bit, the PH can sound smooth as silk. And it sounds a hell of a lot warmer and more organic than the E350 in my opinion too. It's brilliant for textures.

On another note ...

I've been wanting to add my own waves to the PH too, but haven't really understood what devices and programs I need to be able to do so, and where to get said devices and/or programs. I remember reading a good thread about it here a while back, but can't seem to find it.

Also - can anyone share some light on what exactly the Sync-input of the PHII does? What exactly does it sync? And what does the 'Range' button do?
Voggg
I think sync is for a hard sync with the pitch of an external oscillator. So if you give it a saw or square wave it resets every time the input goes high. That's my understanding but I might be totally wrong.

The range switch changes output to LFO.

You can use the Wiard Wave256 software (Windows only) to draw your own waves. Then you send the 256 waves to The Harvestman and he will burn them onto a chip. You buy a Piston Honda expander board to load the chips onto its memory. You will need six chips or there will be blank banks. There is the bsmith EPROM set of 4 banks available, so if you bought that, you could write 512 of your own waves and have a full bank. I want to do this eventually.
Soju
Daisuk wrote:
Soju wrote:

Oh, man, I was torn between the two a few months ago as well. Ended up getting the E350 first, and then the Piston Honda later. I have to say, for me personally, the Piston Honda just wipes the floor with the E350. If you switch on the internal modulation and feed it say an LFO, and attenuate the modulation quite a bit, the PH can sound smooth as silk. And it sounds a hell of a lot warmer and more organic than the E350 in my opinion too. It's brilliant for textures.

On another note ...

I've been wanting to add my own waves to the PH too, but haven't really understood what devices and programs I need to be able to do so, and where to get said devices and/or programs. I remember reading a good thread about it here a while back, but can't seem to find it.

Also - can anyone share some light on what exactly the Sync-input of the PHII does? What exactly does it sync? And what does the 'Range' button do?

Thanks heaps. Just ordered one.
Daisuk
Voggg wrote:
I think sync is for a hard sync with the pitch of an external oscillator. So if you give it a saw or square wave it resets every time the input goes high. That's my understanding but I might be totally wrong.

The range switch changes output to LFO.

You can use the Wiard Wave256 software (Windows only) to draw your own waves. Then you send the 256 waves to The Harvestman and he will burn them onto a chip. You buy a Piston Honda expander board to load the chips onto its memory. You will need six chips or there will be blank banks. There is the bsmith EPROM set of 4 banks available, so if you bought that, you could write 512 of your own waves and have a full bank. I want to do this eventually.

Ah, that's very nice! I'll have to check that software out. Made a few waves from scratch for my Monomachine a while back, and would love to stick those in the Piston. Thanks a lot. smile

Soju wrote:

Thanks heaps. Just ordered one.

Good choice! It's a matter of preference obviously, but to me the E350 was nothing like I imagined, it mostly sounded sterile, cold and flat to me - I ended up selling it. The PH is exactly the opposite, in my opinion.
Hainbach
Well, I have the PH1 and the E350 in my live skiff and find that they are very complimentary. You get the warmth and depth with the Honda and the shimmering morphing with the E350. It not a case which is better, they are different tools, especially in the way you play them.

The funnest thing is running the E350 through the Honda and modulating the hell out of them both. Here is a taste of that (all of the percussive sounds):
https://kudelski.bandcamp.com/track/noir
Soju
Hainbach wrote:
Well, I have the PH1 and the E350 in my live skiff and find that they are very complimentary. You get the warmth and depth with the Honda and the shimmering morphing with the E350. It not a case which is better, they are different tools, especially in the way you play them.

The funnest thing is running the E350 through the Honda and modulating the hell out of them both. Here is a taste of that (all of the percussive sounds):
https://kudelski.bandcamp.com/track/noir

Nice stuff mate. Ill have to check out your other stuff.
AuxOp
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the wavetable cv's. If i plug and lfo into say cv x and turn the knob it effects the x wave. but if i then turn the cv y knob with nothing plugged into the cv y input, y bank is then effected by the cv x lfo. cv z seems to be independent but cv x and y are linked somehow which i find odd.

Just got the unit today so and am still exploring but so far i like what i hear!
robotopsy
I dont have the MKII but my Piston Honda V1 does some weird things too. It's somehow kinda the signature of the harvestman I guess. If I put some CV to the waveshapes It will affect the other side if I dont attenuate the signal correctly. It can do some crazy things. I presume the MKII has it's way to mess things up. seriously, i just don't get it applause hmmm..... Rockin' Banana! nanners

AuxOp wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the wavetable cv's. If i plug and lfo into say cv x and turn the knob it effects the x wave. but if i then turn the cv y knob with nothing plugged into the cv y input, y bank is then effected by the cv x lfo. cv z seems to be independent but cv x and y are linked somehow which i find odd.

Just got the unit today so and am still exploring but so far i like what i hear!
Voggg
AuxOp wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the wavetable cv's. If i plug and lfo into say cv x and turn the knob it effects the x wave. but if i then turn the cv y knob with nothing plugged into the cv y input, y bank is then effected by the cv x lfo. cv z seems to be independent but cv x and y are linked somehow which i find odd

Check if your mod sources are putting out negative voltages. PH is very sensitive to control voltages outside of 0-5 v and they can effect it in this way. I run the mod through a Maths center channel to attenuate and use the Or output when I'm having trouble with this and it always fixes the problem.
AuxOp
Thanks for the hints!

I played around with some of those ideas, but I am still having the same issue. I used a maths channel 3 into the wavetable cv x and it still effected the y cv with nothing plugged into it. And like wise with it plugged into the y cv the x cv was effected. In both cases both the x and y cv knobs were turned to full positive. hmmm.....
Voggg
Expander question:

Can you tell which EPROM is going into which slot? So that if I only wanted to load 2 EPROMs, all the dead space would be at the top of the slider range?
Golgo44
I want one of these so bad.
WhiteIsBeautiful
i just got the PH MKII and was wondering if the WAVEFORM EXPANDER is a good buy? looking at the manual it looks like the same people who are on the expander sets are already on the factory rom. is it more waves from said creators?

thanks!
Sinamsis
Bumping this thread. I just bought a PH mk II and I'm considering getting the expander and EEPROMs. How have people filled the 2 missing slots? Has anyone else made EEPROMs for the PH?
voidshell
I have both the Piston Honda MK1 as well as MK2. You only need the Expander to load the roms on the MK2, after you load them, you don't need it anymore after that. Where as the MK1 always needs it. I picked up the Expander for my MK1 originally but then used it to load ROMS into my MK2 so now both Rev's are full of glitchy goodness:D
Sinamsis
But the pack of EEPROMs that are commercially available are only 4. Which means that leaves 2 empty slots and I'm guessing would result in a empty spots as you're scanning the Z axis or whatever on the PH (I don't have my PH yet, so I'm speaking kind of abstractly because I haven't been able to play around with it yet). There have to be EEPROMs that other people have made or some other work arounds.

PS Richmond baby! Born and raised. I'm moving back in July. You're the second person I've seen on the forum from the river city. We should set up a synth meet or something.
namshub
Hi, I'm new here
Just bought a piston Honda & polyvoks vcf
Love them both.smile
Thank you o'darklord harvestman
hazycomet
Hey, I'm new here! I was wondering if someone could explain the Ext. In section of the PH Mk.II better than the manual. Is the external signal in modulated by the internal osc and then fed back to the ext. Out? Is it applied also to the internal out at all? Any patch examples for this feature? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!
governor blacksnake
hazycomet wrote:
Hey, I'm new here! I was wondering if someone could explain the Ext. In section of the PH Mk.II better than the manual. Is the external signal in modulated by the internal osc and then fed back to the ext. Out? Is it applied also to the internal out at all? Any patch examples for this feature? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

The external signal is attenuated by the "GAIN" control and then fed "through" the piston using the currently selected wavetable as a lookup. So, instead of using the Internal section's ascending sawtooth waveform to address the waveform memory, it uses whatever you put into that jack. Use a sine wave for effects like the Buchla 259e.

Patching this section is straightforward - oscillator into the EXT IN jack, audio coming out of the EXTERNAL output, CV modulating the GAIN parameter. I recommend using any leftover oscillators in your patch with this feature, as it's a convenient way to get an interesting waveform out of something else.
hazycomet
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply, Gov.
bucketbrigade
hazycomet wrote:

The external signal is attenuated by the "GAIN" control and then fed "through" the piston using the currently selected wavetable as a lookup. So, instead of using the Internal section's ascending sawtooth waveform to address the waveform memory, it uses whatever you put into that jack. Use a sine wave for effects like the Buchla 259e.

Patching this section is straightforward - oscillator into the EXT IN jack, audio coming out of the EXTERNAL output, CV modulating the GAIN parameter. I recommend using any leftover oscillators in your patch with this feature, as it's a convenient way to get an interesting waveform out of something else.

I've been getting excellent results plugging all sorts of things into the external input... never having had my hands on a buchla I was wondering what aspect of a 259e is replicated by feeding it a sine wave? I mean, I'm doing it right now and it sounds all kinds of awesome, I know that much thumbs up
governor blacksnake
bucketbrigade wrote:
hazycomet wrote:

I've been getting excellent results plugging all sorts of things into the external input... never having had my hands on a buchla I was wondering what aspect of a 259e is replicated by feeding it a sine wave? I mean, I'm doing it right now and it sounds all kinds of awesome, I know that much thumbs up

The "gain" knob functions much like the "warp" control on the 259e, and certain waveforms give you similar sonic results if you use a sine wave as input (the synthesis functions being performed are very similar in that case). The red and green waveshaping modes on the Hertz Donut are intentionally reminiscent of my favorite tables from old revisions of the 259e using this same variable-gain waveshaping scheme (red 6 and one of the green ones).
coldvvvave
Hello, guys.

My PH mk2 just started behaving weirdly, first it failed to power up even while everything else in my Doepfer LC6 did power without a problem. I did some module moving on this rail right before powering up but didn't touch PH.

After a while it started showing some symbols on the screen. First it was one "F". Then two "8"s. Then just a part of a symbol. I tried powering it up on a Tip Top Uzeus, same result.

Then it started flashing the screen for half a second after powering up and then blacking out.

Anyone else had this problem? It'd be a real shame if it just died like that. sad banana

UPD. I just noticed that it does produce a sound even in this state. Both internal and external outs are the same sawtoothy sound. Ignores all controls. Range button is red.

Then it stopped working again.
governor blacksnake
Never heard of a PH unit just dying like that. Check to see that the voltage regulator (small green board) is consistently putting out 3.3V, that part may need replacement. Reloading the firmware may work as well - contact support@theharvestman.org to arrange service if you're still having trouble.

coldvvvave wrote:
Hello, guys.

My PH mk2 just started behaving weirdly, first it failed to power up even while everything else in my Doepfer LC6 did power without a problem. I did some module moving on this rail right before powering up but didn't touch PH.

After a while it started showing some symbols on the screen. First it was one "F". Then two "8"s. Then just a part of a symbol. I tried powering it up on a Tip Top Uzeus, same result.

Then it started flashing the screen for half a second after powering up and then blacking out.

Anyone else had this problem? It'd be a real shame if it just died like that. sad banana

UPD. I just noticed that it does produce a sound even in this state. Both internal and external outs are the same sawtoothy sound. Ignores all controls. Range button is red.

Then it stopped working again.
dysonant
Sinamsis wrote:
Bumping this thread. I just bought a PH mk II and I'm considering getting the expander and EEPROMs. How have people filled the 2 missing slots? Has anyone else made EEPROMs for the PH?

Did you ever figure this out? About to buy the expander and some ROMs, but also confused about the 2 extra slots?
Sinamsis
Sure didn't. But I snagged a mk I as well that had the expander with EEPROMs (6 of them) so I used it to load up the mk II.
dysonant
I went ahead a bought the expander B. Smith expander rom set and the board. Should be getting them sometime later this week. Does anyone know what to do with the extra slots if one does not have access to extra ROMs?
Voggg
dysonant wrote:
I went ahead a bought the expander B. Smith expander rom set and the board. Should be getting them sometime later this week. Does anyone know what to do with the extra slots if one does not have access to extra ROMs?

B. Smith now supplies two more ROMs. I bought the full ROM set directly from him (you can also buy just the extra two). He posted about it somewhere around here.....
dysonant
Voggg wrote:
dysonant wrote:

B. Smith now supplies two more ROMs. I bought the full ROM set directly from him (you can also buy just the extra two). He posted about it somewhere around here.....

Super helpful. Thanks!
tommygee
Is the wave shaper in PH mkII identical to the wave shaper in the Hertz Donut mkII ?
robbasvenna
I just want to say a great big ol' THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who posted demos in this thread - they really made me pull the trigger on the Piston Honda. And now it's sitting in my rack. And I'm completely blown away! love
mheumann
tommygee wrote:
Is the wave shaper in PH mkII identical to the wave shaper in the Hertz Donut mkII ?

No. The PH is a wavetable oscillator, meaning the wave shaping comes when moving from wave to another, while the HD's waveshaper takes a basic wave (like a sign) and shapes it in different directions.
coolshirtdotjpg
I recently recorded a track focusing on PH MKII and Erbeverb, there's a lot of CV rapidly changing parameters of the PH.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/239624590" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
mt3
fap fap fap...
nanners

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/239624590" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
coolshirtdotjpg
Thanks! Seriously wish I could remember how I did that!
Infinity Curve
Anybody have a link to the wave256 software? All the links I can find for it to the Wiard site are dead
s_d
here you go:
s_d
did this a while ago, using Timothy Leary's sample as a PH wavetable:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/rom-4-piston-honda-with-timothy -leary-sample-wavetable[/s]

edit: here is the direct link as SC link doesn't seem to be working:

http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/rom-4-piston-honda-with-timothy-le ary-sample-wavetable
Infinity Curve
Thanks for the link!!

Cool track
Infinity Curve
So Ive got myself a pickit2, but I am having issues doing the firmware update.

I've tried this on 2 different PC's, both running windows 7, dont have anything else to run it on.

First I downloaded the new version of MPLAB(3.20) and on both machines it does not see the pickit2 connected at all.

Saw that the pickit2 originally came with v8.70 so I downloaded that and now it seems to see the pickit2, but I am getting the following:

First I get a pop up with:

PKWarn0003: Unexpected Device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F452 is correctly installed in the application (Expected ID =0x420, ID Read = 0x0)

Then this in the PiCkit 2 box:

Initializing PiCkit 2 version 0.0.3.63
Found PiCkit 2 - Operating System Version 2.32.0
Target Power not detected - Powering from PiCkit 2 (5.00V)
PKWarn0003: Unexpected Device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F452 is correctly installed in the application (Expected ID =0x420, ID Read = 0x0)
PiCkit 2 Ready

Now if I import the firmware hexfile, it shows up in the BUILD header, but if I hit the Program Target Device button I get the following:

First I get a pop up with:

Then:

Programming Target(time and date info)
Erasing Target
Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x1FF)
Programming Program Memory (0x208 - 0x5E6F)
Verifying Program Memory (0x0 - 0x1FF)
PK2Error0027 - Failed Verify(Address=0x0 - Expected Value 0x200 - Value Read 0x0)
PiCkit 2 Ready

Problem is, none of the instructions on the harvestman site match what I am seeing in either the newer software or the older one, the buttons and functions he notes are not there, and I cannot tell if the firmware has been transferred or not? My unit always booted to x and y lit, but I know I got it long before the newest firmware was released, so that isn't telling me anything either.

Can anybody tell me what is going on based on above? Did it transfer? Am I doing something wrong? I've looked around in the interface and I see nothing related to any settings for the PKWarn0003: Unexpected Device ID: Please verify that a PIC18F452 is correctly installed in the application (Expected ID =0x420, ID Read = 0x0) I keep getting either

Would really appreciate some help to get this sorted
mt3
s_d wrote:
did this a while ago, using Timothy Leary's sample as a PH wavetable:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/rom-4-piston-honda-with-timothy -leary-sample-wavetable[/s]

edit: here is the direct link as SC link doesn't seem to be working:

http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/rom-4-piston-honda-with-timothy-le ary-sample-wavetable

w00t
old gregg
found it, I guess...

but does anyone knows about to grab (simply) the numerical data (numeric tab) from the wave256 software ?

or does the source code exist somewhere ?

it's a nice tool for creating waveforms.
mt3
Infinity Curve wrote:
So Ive got myself a pickit2, but I am having issues doing the firmware update.
Would really appreciate some help to get this sorted

Not sure if this helps, but this is PIC info for another module:

http://delptronics.com/documents/TriggerManFirmwareUpdate.pdf

They mention some troubleshooting issues.
ianross
Can you guys confirm that you have similar behavior. Figured I could get a quick answer here.

Some combinations of banks don't have a new waveform which seems strange. For example try this:

set X Y Z to 0 0 0

Now move Y or Z from 0 to 1 (but not both)

The wave is the exact same on mine. Is this the same for everyone?
Ras Thavas
I've noticed that before, but I believe it's tied to the interpolation. I remember noticing no changes in sounds at the extreme ends with interpolation on, but when turned off I could hear that last (or first) waveform clearly.

I usually leave interpolation on for X and Y, and off for Z, that seems to be the best middle ground.

ianross wrote:
Can you guys confirm that you have similar behavior. Figured I could get a quick answer here.

Some combinations of banks don't have a new waveform which seems strange. For example try this:

set X Y Z to 0 0 0

ianross
Ras Thavas wrote:
I've noticed that before, but I believe it's tied to the interpolation. I remember noticing no changes in sounds at the extreme ends with interpolation on, but when turned off I could hear that last (or first) waveform clearly.

I usually leave interpolation on for X and Y, and off for Z, that seems to be the best middle ground.

ianross wrote:

set X Y Z to 0 0 0

Would you mind checking this behavior on yours?

1. Interpolation (wave morphing) on X Y and off on Z

2. set faders to 0 0 0 (fully down)

3. move Z axis fader from 0 to 1. I get no change in sound. same for you?
Ras Thavas
ianross wrote:
Would you mind checking this behavior on yours?

1. Interpolation (wave morphing) on X Y and off on Z

2. set faders to 0 0 0 (fully down)

3. move Z axis fader from 0 to 1. I get no change in sound. same for you?

No change in sound. If I move X or Y up to position 1, then I do get a change when I move Z between 0 and 1, but nothing with Y and X at 0. You can probably discount the interpolation thing for this I suspect smile
Fastus
Just posted a 'deconstruction' of a new piece featuring the PH2 which plays unprocessed clips of the sound used. At it's core is a 2 track combination of internal wavetable sounds on the left channel with an external sawtooth being wave-shaped at the same time on the right. An A151 switch & a mutamix apply differently attenuated CV's to the X & Z axes

[s]http://soundcloud.com/problivion/deconstructing-manic[/s]
Daisuk
New James Cigler video of the PHII just appeared. And as always with this fella, it's excellent! applause

mt3
Daisuk wrote:
New James Cigler video of the PHII just appeared. And as always with this fella, it's excellent! applause

Understatement!
mt3
That drone at 15:25...
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
evs
nice demo, allthough its not totally correct...
there are just 10 unique roms, not 16.
rom A-F are just the same as 2-7.

and the mode.. it just can be 2 states, right? he says three.. is there a trick i don´t know yet?
(and he explains the mode function quite differently to the manual.. who is right?:-))

edit: but there are some very simple ideas in it that are really great, and i have to ask myself: why the hell did i never tried that myself before? woah
robotopsy
For me the best way to learn a module is to have the idea that you'll make a tutorial video and you got to explain every details and tell everything the module can do. And try mostly every possibilities and beyond the ways I would actualy do.

evs wrote:

and the mode.. it just can be 2 states, right? he says three.. is there a trick i don´t know yet?
(and he explains the mode function quite differently to the manual.. who is right?:-))

edit: but there are some very simple ideas in it that are really great, and i have to ask myself: why the hell did i never tried that myself before? woah
mt3
robotopsy wrote:
For me the best way to learn a module is to have the idea that you'll make a tutorial video and you got to explain every details and tell everything the module can do. And try mostly every possibilities and beyond the ways I would actualy do.

evs wrote:

As the adage has it, the best way to learn something is to teach it.
robotopsy
Exactly applause
I even try some module without powering them.... I find out that the Tyme Sefari v1 can act as a ring mod with some external control.... but the most crazy one is the RB1Roboto from soundmachine.... this module unplugged and fed with fast LFOs drives the module crazy and strange sound comes out of it. seems like the module gets its power source from incoming CV. Anyway take a module you think you mastered and try to patch it in a way you never tried before. Like my uFold from intellijel..... I was wondering if I fold a trig....... then it gave me nice kick drums oops

mt3 wrote:
robotopsy wrote:

evs wrote:

As the adage has it, the best way to learn something is to teach it.
Sinamsis
Daisuk wrote:

Is this with the new firmware? Just got my Pickit, can't wait to install it!
mt3
Sinamsis wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Is this with the new firmware? Just got my Pickit, can't wait to install it!

Yes, with new firmware.
Sinamsis
Nice, his demos are fantastic. His Rene videos are one of my favorite demos of all time.
guestt
Excellent video - really enjoyed that very much smile

Agree that the drone at the end is lovely ... I am wondering about the reverb, hard to say from the sound of the reverb, but the clicking on and off sounds like Strymon, so maybe a Big/Blue Sky?
datarelease
Just got my piston Honda, and I noticed this seemingly twisted component. Look bad? should I assume it's ok or sent it back for a replacement?

Picture file[/img]
robotopsy
verry surprised....this is not common form the Harvestman . I'm sure this one leaked from the quality control department.

datarelease wrote:
Just got my piston Honda, and I noticed this seemingly twisted component. Look bad? should I assume it's ok or sent it back for a replacement?

Picture file[/img]
guestt
Hertz Donut showing similar properties... I inspected it closely and it's not an issue - all the soldering is fine and it all works - I wouldn't worry about it unless it's visibly broken, loose or doesn't work!

datarelease
contacted the seller and the manufacturer. both said it was fine. installed it and powered it up to find this: the third slider doesn't light up. coincidental or related?

[/img]
Sinamsis
Haha, hate to say RTFM, and I won't, because I don't even know if there is one haha. But that's normal... Use the axis select button.... And watch James Cigler's tutorial.
datarelease
Sinamsis wrote:
Haha, hate to say RTFM, and I won't, because I don't even know if there is one haha. But that's normal... Use the axis select button.... And watch James Cigler's tutorial.

alright alright.
it's...fine now. heh.

false alarm. nothing to see here. move along. move along.

also...thanks!
guestt
If it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same thing with the unlit LED when I first plugged mine in too - although I didn't announce it publicly heheheh grin

oh wait... d'oh!

Enjoy - it's a superb wavetable oscillator It's peanut butter jelly time!
rustyjaw
I just got my Piston Honda MkII yesterday, already love it after only a little bit of time with it. I'm curious how one identifies the firmware version that's installed? I suppose it's probably too much to expect that the latest is already onboard.
mt3
datarelease wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

alright alright.
it's...fine now. heh.

false alarm. nothing to see here. move along. move along.

also...thanks!

No worries. Feel free to ask. Harvestmodules have a lot of "whathafukcisgoingon" that allows discovery even after years of owning the modules.
nanners
Ras Thavas
rustyjaw wrote:
I just got my Piston Honda MkII yesterday, already love it after only a little bit of time with it. I'm curious how one identifies the firmware version that's installed? I suppose it's probably too much to expect that the latest is already onboard.

I believe if it's the latest (or close) it will start up with the x bank and y bank sliders lit up, and the z rom not lit. See the picture a few posts up from datarelease
rustyjaw
Ras Thavas wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:

I believe if it's the latest (or close) it will start up with the x bank and y bank sliders lit up, and the z rom not lit. See the picture a few posts up from datarelease

Thanks for that. Mine does indeed start up this way, but I'm confused by the firmware release notes that say, as of FW2.5 "Version number is now displayed on startup."

Do they mean the numerical display is showing the version number at startup? If so, mine is not doing that.
Sinamsis
rustyjaw wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:

Thanks for that. Mine does indeed start up this way, but I'm confused by the firmware release notes that say, as of FW2.5 "Version number is now displayed on startup."

Do they mean the numerical display is showing the version number at startup? If so, mine is not doing that.

Yeah, it will display the version in the alphanumeric display on startup.... I just bit the bullet and bought the pickit. You can find them pretty cheap on the inter webs. The update process isn't hard, and I've found it to be well worth it. The instability between slider values was always a pet peeve of mine (perhaps stupid), and that is totally resolved. Honestly, my PH sat unused for a while. But I've found a renewed interest and I use it on almost every patch. It's definitely a keeper.
rustyjaw
Sinamsis wrote:
Yeah, it will display the version in the alphanumeric display on startup.... I just bit the bullet and bought the pickit. You can find them pretty cheap on the inter webs. The update process isn't hard, and I've found it to be well worth it. The instability between slider values was always a pet peeve of mine (perhaps stupid), and that is totally resolved. Honestly, my PH sat unused for a while. But I've found a renewed interest and I use it on almost every patch. It's definitely a keeper.

Thank you! Off to Pickit land for me then!
Sinamsis
rustyjaw
If you're using a Mac I would look at downloading mplab ipe. There's a thread here somewhere about the new firmware and updating it. The Piston Honda was update was a breeze. I have yet to get the Malgorithm to update, even after buying the Harvestman adapter.
rustyjaw
Sinamsis wrote:
rustyjaw
If you're using a Mac I would look at downloading mplab ipe. There's a thread here somewhere about the new firmware and updating it. The Piston Honda was update was a breeze. I have yet to get the Malgorithm to update, even after buying the Harvestman adapter.

Thanks again. I am on a Mac, but on 10.9 still. Hopefully can use the GUI app you mentioned (I found the thread), still debating on spending $60 (tax and shipping) for a genuine PICkit or going with one of the knock-offs. I wish I could just borrow one as I don't anticipate using it very often. Oh well.
Sinamsis
Dude, that's way too much. I got a PicKit 3 for $20 or so from eBay. I see one right now. I think it's a legit PicKit. Anyways, it's the one I bought and it's cheap enough to justify it for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121753898235?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
rustyjaw
Sinamsis wrote:
Dude, that's way too much. I got a PicKit 3 for $20 or so from eBay. I see one right now. I think it's a legit PicKit. Anyways, it's the one I bought and it's cheap enough to justify it for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121753898235?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Haha, you're becoming my personal mentor for learning the ropes of the Piston Honda. Thanks again. I ordered one of those. Cheers!
Sinamsis
No problem. That's what the forums for.
mt3
We need a pickit thread/sticky.
I'll get on it...
The Harvestman
Zymos
How long did that PicKit take to get from China to US?
I've seen some in the US for 30 something bucks, guess I need to decide how much my patience is worth...

Ah, here's one, free shipping, located in the US, $19.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231826593859?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPa geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Sinamsis
Oh shoot, I actually got mine from a US retailer. But I've ordered stuff from China, no problem before. It is a little unpredictable in terms of time and where in the states you live. But it has taken up to 2-3 weeks for me in the past. There are US retailers for sure, so I would go with that. I got mine for $17.79 from California to be specific (I just checked my eBay account). I will say that eBay had much better prices than vendors on Amazon.
Zymos
Yeah, Amazon is usually my go to in general, but I was glad I checked eBay.

I LOVE manufacturers that let you update modules by audio or a micro USB port on the board. Had to buy the dealy to update an old Metropolis I bought, and now this...
Sinamsis
Yeah, I much prefer audio. I was pretty turned off by the Shapeshifter update process, particularly the PC only part (though it is USB). It's kept me from buying a Rainmaker as well, but my will power is fading. Not sure why one is chosen over another by manufacturers. But I really appreciate the audio option. That being said, $20 is a small investment by comparison to the module, and what you get out of the update. And it was a pretty painless process if you use the free program I mentioned.
d.thomas
Installed firmware 2.51 and noticed the FM knob dramatically affects the tuning without anything patched in. I don't remember or didn't notice this on previous versions. Can someone confirm this is the correct behavior?
Zymos
I'm seeing some weird stuff with 2.51 also, but I'm new to the PH and only spent an hour so with it before updating (I think it had one of the earliest versions on it- seller said he bought it about a year and a half ago).

With nothing plugged in to the external input, should pushing the button in the morph discontinuity section (so it turns red) make a change? Things seem to become a lot smoother.

I'll have some time tomorrow to play with it and figure out what is going on...
mt3
@d.thomas Nada. I tried various settings while wiggling the FM attenuverter knob and was actually disappointed it did nothing.
waah

@Zymos When the Mode button is pressed and turns red yes the internal output changes. Unless the Morph Discontinuity knob is fully clockwise to 11, then pressing the Mode knob won't impact the sound.
evs
so, is there a very new firmware out just now?
i don´t have the very old firmware on mine i guess, but not the newest either.. what is new in the latest firmware?
Daisuk
evs wrote:
so, is there a very new firmware out just now?
i don´t have the very old firmware on mine i guess, but not the newest either.. what is new in the latest firmware?

Improved tracking stability and audio quality. There was a new firmware posted in June, which was supposed to fix some noise issue with the fm attenuator being turned up. I'm gonna install tonight. If all goes to plan, I can probably loan out my pickit to other wigglers. Cost me next to nothing on eBay though, so check that out. smile
d.thomas
d.thomas wrote:
Installed firmware 2.51 and noticed the FM knob dramatically affects the tuning without anything patched in. I don't remember or didn't notice this on previous versions. Can someone confirm this is the correct behavior?

Scott messaged me and this is what he said -
"hey Dylan, download the file again and reload. the wrong file was very briefly online and it had that issue"

Makes sense as I downloaded 2.51 as soon as it went up. Will try again. thumbs up
Daisuk
d.thomas wrote:
d.thomas wrote:

Scott messaged me and this is what he said -
"hey Dylan, download the file again and reload. the wrong file was very briefly online and it had that issue"

Makes sense as I downloaded 2.51 as soon as it went up. Will try again. thumbs up

I just downloaded and installed the latest version currently on the Harvestman website, and it still does this. seriously, i just don't get it

To anyone else who tries to update - if you get a "Warning" message in the Pickit program when loading the hex-file, just ignore it, as it will load the firmware just fine anyway. smile
Zymos
Hey Daisuk- was the update really fast? It only took a couple of seconds for me. It did show the version number on the module afterwords, so I guess it had to have worked, that just seemed surprsingly fast compared to other gear. I've never updated anything by this method before though.

Guess the hex file IS pretty small....
Daisuk
Zymos wrote:
Hey Daisuk- was the update really fast? It only took a couple of seconds for me. It did show the version number on the module afterwords, so I guess it had to have worked, that just seemed surprsingly fast compared to other gear. I've never updated anything by this method before though.

Guess the hex file IS pretty small....

Yeah, it was like 2 seconds here as well. thumbs up
Zymos
Yeah, turning the FM knob with nothing plugged in does change the pitch very noticeably.

So what is happening when I press the morph discontinuity button? I have nothing at any of the modulation inputs or the external input and am not moving the sliders- I only am using the 1v/oct input and internal out. The position of the knob has no effect, which makes sense, since I'm not morphing anything.

Depending on which bank and ROM, there can be a huge difference in the sound- it can be really harsh when the button is green, but smooth and sweet when the button is red. The docs say strong smoothing is applied when the button is "Orange", but it sounds like they are talking about it happening to the external input, not the internal wavetables.
d.thomas
Reloaded 2.51 but same issue. Mentioned it to Scott.
thebrotherspus
I just received my Piston Honda mk2 today and I seem to be having a strange problem with it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. When I modulate the x, y, and/or z axis, it only takes about 2 volts (maybe less) to modulate the entire range (from bank 0 to bank F). Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
It's supposed to be 0-5v, but like I mentioned I'm getting about 0-2v to scrub through every wave, bank ,or rom. I've tried many different modulation sources and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
d.thomas
Reverted back to firmware 2.1 and the FM issue went away.
thebrotherspus
thebrotherspus wrote:
I just received my Piston Honda mk2 today and I seem to be having a strange problem with it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. When I modulate the x, y, and/or z axis, it only takes about 2 volts (maybe less) to modulate the entire range (from bank 0 to bank F). Has anyone else noticed anything like this?
It's supposed to be 0-5v, but like I mentioned I'm getting about 0-2v to scrub through every wave, bank ,or rom. I've tried many different modulation sources and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm just curious whether it's a firmware thing or a faulty module. I'd be super appreciative if someone with 2.5.1 firmware could check their module.
I'm assuming it's probably some kind of hardware fault as it seems like something too obvious to overlook in a firmware update......
waveglider
I just tried this on my new PH mkII that was from the latest batch of modules released which has 2.5.1.
I can confirm using my O'Tool that the entire range from 0-F happens between 0 and 2.3 volts. This is indeed odd... hmmm.....
thebrotherspus
waveglider wrote:
I just tried this on my new PH mkII that was from the latest batch of modules released which has 2.5.1.
I can confirm using my O'Tool that the entire range from 0-F happens between 0 and 2.3 volts. This is indeed odd... hmmm.....

Hmmm, that is indeed very odd. I was planning to use the Soundmachines Lightplane module to modulate X, Y, and Z on the PHmk2 since the lightplane also happens to have 3 cv outs that are 0-5v, but with the PHmk2 only accepting 0-2v, the usable range on the lightplane is so small as to almost be unusable.... certainly not as fun anyway.
Hopefully we can get this sorted out.
Zymos
d.thomas wrote:

Could you hook me up with 2.1?
thebrotherspus
waveglider wrote:

I'm curious if this is just a problem in the firmware, or a hardware fault with the new batch of modules.
I've written to The Harvestman earlier today, but have not heard back yet.
Zymos
Mines pretty old, and, though I haven't measured voltages or anything, I had already noticed that it was kind of fiddly to sweep to anything other than the extremes.
Think I'll get out the multimeter and try with the Triatt

EDIT- confirmed here on ver 2.5.1 too, less than 2.5 V to sweep all the way through.
The person I bought mine from said he got it around a year and a half ago.
thebrotherspus
Zymos wrote:
Mines pretty old, and, though I haven't measured voltages or anything, I had already noticed that it was kind of fiddly to sweep to anything other than the extremes.

EDIT- confirmed here on ver 2.5.1 too, less than 2.5 V to sweep all the way through.

Interesting. I'm guessing it must be a problem with the latest firmware? I find it hard to believe that all the Piston Hondas for the last year or two had this issue and no one noticed..... it must be a firmware thing.... I hope, anyway.
Kinda sucks, I bought brand new to avoid having to upgrade any firmware. I'm not that good at that sort of thing and my computer is super ancient.

Dang.
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
Zymos wrote:

Interesting. I'm guessing it must be a problem with the latest firmware? I find it hard to believe that all the Piston Hondas for the last year or two had this issue and no one noticed..... it must be a firmware thing.... I hope, anyway.
Kinda sucks, I bought brand new to avoid having to upgrade any firmware. I'm not that good at that sort of thing and my computer is super ancient.

Dang.

I'm documenting and demystifying the upgrade process for Harvestland in another thread.
Super ancient shouldn't be a problem. What are the specs?
evs
thebrotherspus wrote:
waveglider wrote:

Hmmm, that is indeed very odd. I was planning to use the Soundmachines Lightplane module to modulate X, Y, and Z on the PHmk2 since the lightplane also happens to have 3 cv outs that are 0-5v, but with the PHmk2 only accepting 0-2v, the usable range on the lightplane is so small as to almost be unusable.... certainly not as fun anyway.

yes, this sucks and it should be sorted,
but why don´t you just use the attenuator on the machine? with this it shouldn´t be a problem to use the whole lightplane for one movement..
thebrotherspus
mt3 wrote:
I'm documenting and demystifying the upgrade process for Harvestland in another thread.

I have an old MacBook Pro. It's probably like 7 years old or more. It's running OS X 10.6.8. Will this work?
thebrotherspus
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
waveglider wrote:

but why don´t you just use the attenuator on the machine? with this it shouldn´t be a problem to use the whole lightplane for one movement..

The attenuators on the Piston Honda simply reduce the number or waves, banks, or roms I'm able to scroll through without giving me any more usable area on the lightplane.
I can however use 3 channels of my Mutable Blinds and adjust the lightplane before reaching the PHmk2 so that I can use the entire lightplane properly- but I don't want to tie up three of its four channels for this every time I want to use the Piston Honda this way. It's fine for now, but hopefully a firmware fix will be available soon.
Scott emailed back last night saying that he'll look into it and if it's a firmware problem, he'll post a fix soon.
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
mt3 wrote:

I have an old MacBook Pro. It's probably like 7 years old or more. It's running OS X 10.6.8. Will this work?

If you follow Auxren's guide, yes.

"Macintosh Minimum System Requirements Mac OS® X 10.5 Intel or later"
http://microchip.wikidot.com/mplabx:requirements

There's also a community PicKit being shared that's going around. See the thread to get in line. Though us Canuckleheads might want to spring for our own PicKit due to postage...
w00t
thebrotherspus
mt3 wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
mt3 wrote:

There's also a community PicKit being shared that's going around. See the thread to get in line. Though us Canuckleheads might want to spring for our own PicKit due to postage...
w00t

Nice! Glad to know it should be possible.
I'm still somewhat confused about what I actually have to purchase. Is it a pickit2 or 3? Do you have any links to ebay or Amazon.ca with exactly the model that I need to purchase? That would be super helpful.
Sorry for my noobness.... : )

Thanks for the help!
Zymos
All the attenuators do is reduce the possible range.
d.thomas
Zymos wrote:
d.thomas wrote:

Could you hook me up with 2.1?
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
mt3 wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
mt3 wrote:

w00t

Nice! Glad to know it should be possible.
I'm still somewhat confused about what I actually have to purchase. Is it a pickit2 or 3? Do you have any links to ebay or Amazon.ca with exactly the model that I need to purchase? That would be super helpful.
Sorry for my noobness.... : )

Thanks for the help!

No problem. I have no idea yet myself, that's why I'm documenting this in the other thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165472

Some of your questions may have answers there, I haven't kept all the info in my head. Dead Banana
Zymos
I got a PicKit 3 on eBay for less than 20 USD with free shipping. Shipped from US, had it in 3 days.
See you are in Canada, so may be slightly different for you.

Thanks for the upload d.thomas thumbs up
guestt
thebrotherspus wrote:

Definitely not here, been using SHmk][ to modulate and it works fine.

No idea which version of the firmware I am on unfortunately, I've not updated it since I got it and now I don't want to smile
Zymos
FWIW, 2.5 was the first one that showed ver. number on boot...
Daisuk
Warning - shameless self-promotion

I guess a little bit of music in here won't hurt. The kick-ish sound in this is the Piston Honda 2. Never used it as a kick before, but it sounds pretty good, I think, as it got a bit of top-end as well. smile

[s]http://soundcloud.com/happyleaguecactus/95a[/s]
evs
thebrotherspus wrote:
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
waveglider wrote:

The attenuators on the Piston Honda simply reduce the number or waves, banks, or roms I'm able to scroll through without giving me any more usable area on the lightplane.
I can however use 3 channels of my Mutable Blinds and adjust the lightplane before reaching the PHmk2 so that I can use the entire lightplane properly- but I don't want to tie up three of its four channels for this every time I want to use the Piston Honda this way. It's fine for now, but hopefully a firmware fix will be available soon.
Scott emailed back last night saying that he'll look into it and if it's a firmware problem, he'll post a fix soon.

well, i´ve allways thought that the attenuators are input attenuators..
its the only logical thing for me, that they attenuate the incoming cv..
that they don´t do this seems wrong.. so these are not input attenuators, but.. they reduce the wavetables?? strange. never realized that, i will try this out later..
thebrotherspus
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
waveglider wrote:

that they don´t do this seems wrong.. so these are not input attenuators, but.. they reduce the wavetables?? strange. never realized that, i will try this out later..

They are attenuators, but in my case, I have to attenuate my cv source (lightplane) first in order to get it to a 0-2v range so that I can get an entire sweep of the lightplane to correspond with an entire sweep of all the waves/roms/banks. From there, I can use the attenuators and offsets on the Piston Honda to get really subtle specific modulations if I wish.
thebrotherspus
Out of curiosity (and sorry for continuously clogging up this thread with my annoying posts), has anyone who's been having the 0-2v cv input problem successfully reverted back to an earlier firmware version to alleviate this issue? If so, did it work? Do the cv inputs now receive the full 0-5v range?
I just want to make sure that it is indeed a firmware issue so that I can begin the process of ordering a pickit so that I'm ready for the inevitable firmware update... or if my PHmk2 merely has a hardware fault so that I can begin the process of exchanging it for a new one at Analogue Haven.
Thanks! thumbs up
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
Out of curiosity (and sorry for continuously clogging up this thread with my annoying posts), has anyone who's been having the 0-2v cv input problem successfully reverted back to an earlier firmware version to alleviate this issue? If so, did it work? Do the cv inputs now receive the full 0-5v range?
I just want to make sure that it is indeed a firmware issue so that I can begin the process of ordering a pickit so that I'm ready for the inevitable firmware update... or if my PHmk2 merely has a hardware fault so that I can begin the process of exchanging it for a new one at Analogue Haven.
Thanks! thumbs up

Your PH is relatively new I take it?
thebrotherspus
mt3 wrote:

Yes, I just received it in the mail from analogue haven a few days ago.
Zymos
thebrotherspus wrote:
Thanks! thumbs up

I meant to yesterday, but got distracted with my new Ornament+Crimes.
I will give it a try tomorrow.
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Yes, I just received it in the mail from analogue haven a few days ago.

Forgot to mention, but the majority of Harvestman modules have attenuverters (not attenuators). Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. The waveform axis knobs are at 0 in the middle position.

Also, the Lightplane "can be setup to generate either 5V or 10V output voltage, by means of jumper setting".
http://www.sound-machines.it/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/LP1lightpl ane_Manual_Sep2013.pdf

Further, some Harvestman modules (all?) handle 0-8V CV, but I'm unsure what the origin of this is. Overdive setting?

Hopefully I haven't confused things.
thebrotherspus
Zymos wrote:

That's great! Thanks so much!

mt3 wrote:
Forgot to mention, but the majority of Harvestman modules have attenuverters (not attenuators). Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. The waveform axis knobs are at 0 in the middle position.

Also, the Lightplane "can be setup to generate either 5V or 10V output voltage, by means of jumper setting".
http://www.sound-machines.it/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/LP1lightpl ane_Manual_Sep2013.pdf

Further, some Harvestman modules (all?) handle 0-8V CV, but I'm unsure what the origin of this is. Overdive setting?

Yeah, I realized after that I wrote attenuator when I meant attenuverter- my bad.
Nevertheless, setting the lightplane to 5 or 10 volts doesn't solve my issue. If I could set it to 2.3v it would hihi
But yes, the attenuverters work as they should on the Piston Honda. It's just the scale of accepted voltage level for those inputs that is messed up.
...hopefully I haven't confused things further too hihi
mt3
thebrotherspus wrote:
Zymos wrote:

That's great! Thanks so much!

mt3 wrote:

Yeah, I realized after that I wrote attenuator when I meant attenuverter- my bad.
Nevertheless, setting the lightplane to 5 or 10 volts doesn't solve my issue. If I could set it to 2.3v it would hihi
But yes, the attenuverters work as they should on the Piston Honda. It's just the scale of accepted voltage level for those inputs that is messed up.
...hopefully I haven't confused things further too hihi

You're clear to me.
Oddly, I just poked through the MI Streams manual and it too mentions 8V CV (and 16Vpp!). I guess it's not unique to a few makers. That has me confused nonetheless...
evs
thebrotherspus wrote:
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
evs wrote:
thebrotherspus wrote:
waveglider wrote:

They are attenuators, but in my case, I have to attenuate my cv source (lightplane) first in order to get it to a 0-2v range so that I can get an entire sweep of the lightplane to correspond with an entire sweep of all the waves/roms/banks. From there, I can use the attenuators and offsets on the Piston Honda to get really subtle specific modulations if I wish.

ha, thanks a lot. i just tried it, and you are right. i always thought that those attenuators are just attenuate the input.. lesson learned, haha..

and by the way, i guess i have an older firmware, cause i need 5v to sweep through one bank.. so everything is correct here with an older firmware.. (but i think i don´t have the oldest..)

now i will not update it.. eek!
waveglider
I am also experiencing the FM knob issue with by brand new PH, I thought this was supposed to be fixed in the very latest update?
thebrotherspus
I heard back from Scott and he says that he's fixed the issue in firmware, so sooner or later I'm sure an updated firmware will be released.
Looks like I'm off to ebay to order a pickit w00t

Edit: I'm referring to the 0-2.3v cv issue, not the post above this one.
waveglider
That's great news, I will be standing by for the update.
Daisuk
thebrotherspus wrote:
I heard back from Scott and he says that he's fixed the issue in firmware, so sooner or later I'm sure an updated firmware will be released.
Looks like I'm off to ebay to order a pickit w00t

Edit: I'm referring to the 0-2.3v cv issue, not the post above this one.

Aaand it's out. thumbs up

PISTON HONDA MKII v2.52 NOW AVAILABLE
This version corrects the sensitivity of the XYZ CV inputs to the 0-5v range specified on the faceplate.

http://www.theharvestman.org/firmware.php
guestt
Excellent - it must be time to update mine - thanks for the heads up!!
Nofrenchtests
I always wondered why it blasted through them so quickly without careful attenuation. Mystery solved..time to get a pickit I guess!
waveglider
Super awesome news!
If anybody needs to borrow my Pickit 2, PM me, and I'll send it to you.

UPDATE: firmware 2.52 loaded and now XYZ all respond properly to 0-5v! Rockin' Banana!
Zymos
The FM knob still changes the pitch with nothing plugged in to the FM input.
Guess it doesn't really matter though.
rustyjaw
Got my Pickit 3 yesterday, and using Auxren's helpful guide to using MPLab on a Mac, I was able to install 2.5.2 fairly painlessly. I did have one scare...after my first attempt, the PH would power up with 888 on the screen and nothing worked. I just went through the update process again and it worked. Whew!
guestt
Zymos wrote:
... With nothing plugged in to the external input, should pushing the button in the morph discontinuity section (so it turns red) make a change? Things seem to become a lot smoother. ...

Zymos wrote:
When I have nothing plugged into the external in, and no CV or manual movement on the sliders, I hear a very obvious change in the sound when I push the button- in general I'd describe it as changing from harsh to smooth. I'm not morphing anything, the wave is static- so what is happening when I push the button?

Second quote is from another thread, I copied it here for completeness.

The following is just my understanding, happy to be corrected or have this improved upon so comments/constructive criticism welcome. I am also going to make it as complete as possible so please don't feel like I am stating the obvious or anything, I know you probably know most of this anyway smile

In answer to your question yes, there should be a change when you press the morph discontinuity mode button because you are changing the signal flow.

There are three main components to the PHmk][: the oscillator, the wavetable and the morph discontinuity.

These three things interact continuously to produce a sound.

The oscillator sets the frequency at which the selected waveform in the wavetable repeats, the higher the frequency of the oscillator, the faster the waveform is repeated. Think of this like a very short sample being played repeatedly in a loop very quickly, in fact the two things are very similar, you can turn sample players into oscillators, there are various examples.

Anyway, when the selected waveform is repeated if the waveform is not perfectly aligned at the beginning and end of the waveform - you get noise added to the signal! This is pure genius because the sudden shifts that occur as the sound jumps from one level to another can cause all kinds of sonic mayhem and this is what is referred to as the 'character' in the Harvestman modules.

The morph discontinuity smooths off the point at which the beginning and end of the waveform join as it loops to give the smoother or less harsh sounds and remove the noise.

To achieve this smoothing there must be sync between the oscillator, the selected waveform and the morph discontinuity section, so the morphing is applied at the correct point in the cycle. Or to put it another way, you wouldn't want to make adjustment to the body of the selected waveform - you want to smooth out the point at which it jumps from the end of the waveform back to the beginning - hence the need for it to be synced.

The reason for the morph discontinuity mode select should now be clear, if you are using the external input you want the selected waveform to 'sync' to the external input so as the external input signal pitch changes the smoothing is applied at the correct place.

So, to recap, when you switch from syncing from the internal input to the external input you are disabling the sync to the internal oscillator and that's why it gets noisy.

Does that help?

Finally, as a personal note, I really don't think it is necessary to understand what is happening here to enjoy this module, it just sounds great whatever you do It's peanut butter jelly time!
waveglider
Zymos wrote:
The FM knob still changes the pitch with nothing plugged in to the FM input.
Guess it doesn't really matter though.

Same here, not by a huge amount, but still an audible change when turing the knob and no FM input.
Zymos
That does help, my confusion mainly came from:

the way the documentation makes it seem like it has to do with the external input, when it has an effect even without any external input.

And, my thinking that "morph" meant the transition between different waveforms (as it does on most other wavetable oscillators), not just smoothing one individual single cycle wave.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.
guestt
No problem - actually was quite an enjoyable little exercise heh smile

The morph misunderstanding is understandable, but it isn't exactly a misunderstanding because the process continues while changing waveforms.

It's precisely this exposé and the variability and control of the internal working of the wavetable oscillator that makes the PHmk][ the superior choice - in my opinion anyway grin

Bring on the noise!!
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
No problem - actually was quite an enjoyable little exercise heh smile

The morph misunderstanding is understandable, but it isn't exactly a misunderstanding because the process continues while changing waveforms.

It's precisely this exposé and the variability and control of the internal working of the wavetable oscillator that makes the PHmk][ the superior choice - in my opinion anyway grin

Bring on the noise!!

Wasn't aware of this either!
thumbs up
guestt
Funny how everyone is different, it was obvious first time I heard it!

I say obvious, everything above is my best guess, I haven't seen the code, I've just played with it and listened to what's going on.

There could very easily be more to it than I have described above smile

actually... it got me thinking so I went digging and found this much more thorough explanation of what's (probably) going on:

http://musicdsp.org/files/Wavetable-101.pdf

I love how this paper is aimed at faithful instrument recreation and that the PHmk][ totally defies this and says no, fuck it, lets reveal and even accentuate the 'problems' of wavetable synthesis nanners

...and erm, no, I don't understand all the maths Dead Banana
guestt
ahhh, I think another perspective of this has just fallen into place, maybe anyone who reads the paper and understands it better than I do can confirm...

When pitch shifting, the wavetable doesn't play nice in terms of samples so it's necessary to interpolate between them, it's entirely possible (probable?) that the smoothing is applied here too - or not depending on your settings!

... anyway, this should pretty much dispel any notion that this stuff is easy to program - sheesh grin
guestt
Last post here today hehe This is fun!

As an aside, here's monolith for the Octatrack - a great example of how a sampler can be used as a wavetable oscillator, very cool:

http://project1404.com/monolith2/

SlayerBadger!
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
Last post here today hehe This is fun!

As an aside, here's monolith for the Octatrack - a great example of how a sampler can be used as a wavetable oscillator, very cool:

http://project1404.com/monolith2/

SlayerBadger!

Coincidentally was going through musicdsp.org last week for some clarity on zdsp algorithms. Saw that wavetable pdf but halted at the mathemagic (was a touring decision, aimless wandering).

Another resource is xfer Serum. Best vst ever.
waveglider
Zymos wrote:

the way the documentation makes it seem like it has to do with the external input, when it has an effect even without any external input.

And, my thinking that "morph" meant the transition between different waveforms (as it does on most other wavetable oscillators), not just smoothing one individual single cycle wave.

I am pretty sure you are actually correct on both counts.
The Morph Discontinuity does affect transitions between waveforms, not start/end of one single waveform, otherwise it would affect the sound when you have the XYZ locked on one waveform- which it clearly does not.

Also the mode button is toggling smoothing between external and internal signal paths. You will see this if you put a scope on both outputs.
Zymos
Yeah, to clarify, I should have put that I'd thought it ONLY effected the external input, and I'd thought morphing ONLY applied when going between different waveforms.
guestt
waveglider wrote:
Zymos wrote:

The Morph Discontinuity does affect transitions between waveforms, not start/end of one single waveform, otherwise it would affect the sound when you have the XYZ locked on one waveform- which it clearly does not.

Also the mode button is toggling smoothing between external and internal signal paths. You will see this if you put a scope on both outputs.

That's weird, it most definitely does affect the sound when locked on one waveform on mine - absolutely no question!
Sinamsis
Baddcr wrote:
waveglider wrote:
Zymos wrote:

That's weird, it most definitely does affect the sound when locked on one waveform on mine - absolutely no question!

Yeah, I didn't notice it. I took it to mean how it morphs between wave tables, but it definitely affects how gritty and lofi the waveform sounds.

I also noticed the FM thing everyone's talking about. Ha, I NEVER FM my PH and that's why I never noticed it (I don't know why I don't, I just don't).... Are you sure it's not some normalization like internal FM or something? And on my unit it does make a drastic difference in pitch and timbre.
waveglider
I just tested mine out and this is what I am seeing:

-Morph Discontinuity has no affect on static waveform when mode button is Red, when Green it only really does anything after you turn the knob past 2'oclock. AND that depends on which axis selection you have set, the more sliders that are lit, the more the Morph knob affects the sound in Green mode.

-FM knob severely affects pitch with nothing patched to FM input. I did not notice this with 2.5.1, but it is quite pronounced now.

Can anyone else confirm/deny what they are seeing/hearing?
guestt
This sounds different to mine waveglider, anyway... I might be wrong, but both experience and the pdf I linked to indicate I'm not seriously, i just don't get it

Does the sound change on yours with a static waveform and nothing plugged into the external input when you switch from red to green going from smoother to more harsh as Zymos described? If so, how do you account for that change?

I also realise that I have never used this functionality without sending a pitch CV so that should also be taken into account.

I think we've reached a point where it would be nice to have some definitive answers rather than some guesses, I come to these conclusions very early on and have never had cause to question them till now, so I'll do a proper set of checks and hook it up to the scope to confirm next chance I get smile
waveglider

guestt
Obviously not saying that's wrong, but I really don't see how that answers the question... seriously, i just don't get it

edit: it's late here, need to sleep, but will check in tomorrow at some point smile

Thanks for nice discussion, please carry on and I'll catch up!
waveglider
This is from a review on Electronic Musician, hopefully clears some more up:

Quote:
Morph Discontinuity: Another exciting feature on the Piston Honda MKII is the ability to smooth out the steps as you move between waveforms. This makes the waveforms sound as if they are morphing into one another. When the Morph Discontinuity’s Mode button is green, you can control the amount of smoothing between steps of the internal sound; when the button is red, morphing is applied to the external audio’s processing (while, at the same time, the internal sounds are played back at a higher resolution).

The Axis Select button determines the combination of axes to which smoothing is applied. The slider for each axis has an LED on the end: When it is lit, you can adjust the morphing between steps of that axis. When the Morph Discontinuity knob is fully clockwise, you’ll hear stepping. Turn it fully counter-clockwise to get a morphed-sound response between steps. The associated CV input (with attenuator) lets you continuously alter the degree between stepped and smooth behavior—nice!
Zymos
waveglider wrote:
I just tested mine out and this is what I am seeing:

-Morph Discontinuity has no affect on static waveform when mode button is Red, when Green it only really does anything after you turn the knob past 2'oclock. AND that depends on which axis selection you have set, the more sliders that are lit, the more the Morph knob affects the sound in Green mode.

-FM knob severely affects pitch with nothing patched to FM input. I did not notice this with 2.5.1, but it is quite pronounced now.

Can anyone else confirm/deny what they are seeing/hearing?

I DID notice the FM thing with 2.5.1, and still do with 2.5.2.

Morph Discontinuity- I need to experiment more with the knob, what I've mainly noticed is a very obvious change with static waveforms when simply switching from green to red.
guestt
None of this is in question waveglider ...

It's how it does what the quotes you have posted describe I'd like to confirm smile

Edit: I have to go out now, but I'll be back this evening
waveglider
I think I might be misunderstanding you then, apologies for that.
Can you clarify what the question is again, I want to make sure we are on the same page.
guestt
Hehe entirely possible, and it's entirely possible we're both right too, or about in the right ball park...

At it's simplest the question is why does the sound change when you switch modes in the morph discontinuity section.

The answer I provided stepped through the process and definitely includes morphing between waveforms as well as the basic principles of how the single waveforms are smoothed. As I understand it the process is happening all the time so when you move between waveforms it's not a different function. If you like, all the waveforms in the table are all synced or perhaps a better way to put it would be phase locked in a big stack i.e. all their beginning and end points are in alignment, all smoothed (or not) and the difference between smoothing between one waveform on itself and the others is then as simple a matter of referencing which location in the wavetable you;re accessing. I think it goes deeper than this when you introduce pitch changes, but I am less clear on this.

Argh... this is fascinating, but I really need to go... I'm late now hehe... laters smile))
Zymos
"The "mode" button swaps these functions- when activated, the internal oscillator will not morph, but generate very smooth waveforms"

I guess that doesn't explain HOW it occurs, but at least confirms what I was hearing....
guestt
YEah, bt you started something and know I want to know how grin

Unexpected but very welcome visitor this evening so next chance I get will be weekend, will investigate then and report back.
Zymos
Well, I was ready to stop with your explanation a couple of days ago, but noooo, you have to keep digging!
waveglider
guestt
Sorry guys,

Time and commitments got away with me and I've still not done this... you'll probably catch on why soon enough wink

Haven't forgotten though!!
VanEck
after the latest update, my fm knob now functions as a "fine tune" knob, but in reverse. turning to the right will lower the pitch, turning to the left pitches up. the range seems to match the fine tune knob. it does this with cv present or not. strange stuff.
elil
I'm on the jump on buying a used piston honda mk2.
The guy got it a year ago, so i guess it is still on some pre 2.0 firmware.
Someone around europe got a pickit and would be willing sending it to me? I'll send it back asap, cash for shipping included.
This probably won't save me anything, but i don't see the point on buying this thing for one use only :<
Cheers
elil
Anyone?

sad banana
Sinamsis
Two way shipping will probably cost almost as much as the pickit itself, if not more.
mt3
Guv' said he'd be doing free firmware updates at Knobcon. PLUS free waveforms that are new!
applause
Artaos
I can't figure out how to use the FM input on my Piston Honda mkII. Whatever signal I patch in the FM input (constant, AC, LFO, audio rate, etc), it has no effect on the sound. This is with the corresponding attenuverter full CW, full CCW, or anywhere in between.

The "CV" frequency input works as expected, it's only the "FM" input that doesn't seem to work.

Do I have a faulty unit or am I missing something?
zolar_czakl
I just got a 2nd hand PH mkII with expander board and ROMs. If I read the instructions correctly, the ROMs are loaded onto the mkII memory, replacing the stock A-F ROMs. What's the process to restore the stock ROMs in banks A-F? I did a search but couldn't find anything specific, and it's not explained on the website.

"MARK II INSTRUCTIONS:
- Turn off your instrument and remove the Piston Honda from the rack.
- Find the standoffs on the back of the module. Plug the expander board into the module, lining up the screw holes with the standoffs. It is not necessary to fasten the board with additional screws.
- Fill all six sockets on the expander with waveform ROMs, taking care to line up the notch on the socket with the notch on the chip.
- Hold down the "MODE" button in the Morph Discontinuity section.
- While holding the button, turn the instrument's power on.
- Wait one minute while the waveforms load from the expander to the memory. They will replace ROM (Z axis) locations A-F. When the load is complete, the module will activate and function as normal.
- Remove the expander board and re-install the unit in the rack. It is not necessary to leave the expander plugged into the MK2 piston."
mt3
Aren't the stock ROMs in A-F duplicated from those in 0-5?
Abyssinianloop
mt3 wrote:

Yes, they are. I think he doesn't like the custom roms he loaded in and wants the duplicate stock roms back in the a-f slots.
mt3
Abyssinianloop wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Yes, they are. I think he doesn't like the custom roms he loaded in and wants the duplicate stock roms back in the a-f slots.

Yes, I'm assuming that as well, my comment was more that he isn't overwriting or losing anything with the expansion ROMs.
Though I agree those need to be made publicly available nonetheless.
ikkini
Some vids I did with Piston Honda Mk2

zolar_czakl
mt3 wrote:
Abyssinianloop wrote:
mt3 wrote:

Yes, I'm assuming that as well, my comment was more that he isn't overwriting or losing anything with the expansion ROMs.
Though I agree those need to be made publicly available nonetheless.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't loaded from the expansion ROM, but I assume the previous owner had. I didn't know that the stock a-f was just a duplicate, so that's good too know that I'm not losing anything by having the custom ROMs loaded. I'm really psyched to have the ability to load other sound in the future. This module is so much fun - amazing sounds abound!
Abyssinianloop
Im curious if anyone got hold of the Governor's new PH roms that it was mentioned might be given out at knobcon? Was that something that happened? Anything interesting?
ianross
Is that issue of the FM pot being like a fine tune pot meant to be fixed or? Does it still affect pitch when you have a signal patched in to the fm input?
richc90
So I just finally sourced a second hand PHmk2 at a good price: super happy since it's my first IME/Harvestman module and the beginning of my "low arts" case.

I'll work my way through this thread over the next days/weeks, but a quick question: when it arrives, is there is an easy way to tell which firmware it has loaded? Am I right in thinking that it displays 2.52 on start up if but only if its on the latest firmware?
mt3
richc90 wrote:
So I just finally sourced a second hand PHmk2 at a good price: super happy since it's my first IME/Harvestman module and the beginning of my "low arts" case.

I'll work my way through this thread over the next days/weeks, but a quick question: when it arrives, is there is an easy way to tell which firmware it has loaded? Am I right in thinking that it displays 2.52 on start up if but only if its on the latest firmware?

I believe that's correct.
See js213's post on Jan 5 2017:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165472&start=50
richc90
Thanks mt3. The next implication seems to be that if it isn't on 2.52, there is no obvious way of telling which firmware it is on?

Hopefully I can find someone in Berlin with a Pickit who can help me out.
mt3
richc90 wrote:
Thanks mt3. The next implication seems to be that if it isn't on 2.52, there is no obvious way of telling which firmware it is on?

Hopefully I can find someone in Berlin with a Pickit who can help me out.

Drop by Schneiders.
richc90
d'oh! for some reason that idea hadn't crossed my mind...
aghora
wow
waveglider
Where is the PH mkII ROM expander that was on instagram a while back? I really would love some more wavetables!
joskery
Hi!

Waiting for a second hand piston Honda. I've been through this thread searching for samples - any more?

This is what I do! Ease the pain of shipment tracking by listening to samples d'oh!

Thanks!
mt3
joskery wrote:
Waiting for a second hand piston Honda. I've been through this thread searching for samples - any more?

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q=pistonhonda
Fastus
mt3 wrote:
joskery wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q=pistonhonda

after noticing my PH tracks weren't in your search, tried adding a space between Pison & Honda and got a whole new set of results:

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q=piston%20honda
joskery
Thanks! I've gone through some of SoundCloud but there's definitely new stuff there, too.

If you guys have demos or songs with the PH, feel free to post it here smile
rean1mator
So what exactly is the CV input on the mk2 for? I'm at a loss the purpose of this input. CV being a general term for different types of modulation right? 1v/oct has it's own input. i'm at a loss.
mt3
rean1mator wrote:
So what exactly is the CV input on the mk2 for? I'm at a loss the purpose of this input. CV being a general term for different types of modulation right? 1v/oct has it's own input. i'm at a loss.

Manual here:
http://www.theharvestman.org/pistonmk2.pdf

"The attenuverter is shared between the “CV” and “FM” inputs. CV is a unipolar, exponential frequency input, and FM is an AC-coupled audio input for thru-zero frequency modulation."
rean1mator
thanks, i actually read through the manual a few times but my brain seemed to have filtered out teh exponential frequency input part. haha.

mt3 wrote:
rean1mator wrote:

Manual here:
http://www.theharvestman.org/pistonmk2.pdf

"The attenuverter is shared between the “CV” and “FM” inputs. CV is a unipolar, exponential frequency input, and FM is an AC-coupled audio input for thru-zero frequency modulation."
oranginafiend
how would y'all compare the HDII and the PHII in terms of versatility and overlap? I currently have the HD but am considering swapping it for a PH because I think I'm just not that into the Complex Oscillator sound seriously, i just don't get it
Sinamsis
There's really no overlap.
mt3
Zerolap.
joskery
Hi!

I saw some mentions of this in the thread, but nothing too in-depth:

The FM attenuverter very noticeably affects the oscillator pitch - even if there's nothing plugged in either of the frequency modulation inputs. And the weird thing, it affects the pitch even if there are dummy cables plugged in...? This seems very, very odd.
joey

piston honda thru synchrodyne
mt3
joey wrote:

piston honda thru synchrodyne

Finally had time to check this. You got the wmd psychodryne huh? Is it everything I dreamed it would be?
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Didn't realize you had this release out:
https://sonicgroove.bandcamp.com/album/human-augmentation-sg-1776
Some excellent movements of black...
reinklang
I just received a Piston Honda Expander which came filled with ROMs that have colored dots on them. I thought these might contain alternative wavetables but it seems they're just the standard set that was already included with the MkII. At least that's what it sounds like after loading the ROMs into the module.

Can anyone confirm this is correct? Or are they just empty?
mt3
reinklang wrote:
I just received a Piston Honda Expander which came filled with ROMs that have colored dots on them. I thought these might contain alternative wavetables but it seems they're just the standard set that was already included with the MkII. At least that's what it sounds like after loading the ROMs into the module.

Can anyone confirm this is correct? Or are they just empty?

MARK II INSTRUCTIONS

from http://www.theharvestman.org/pistonexpander.php

- Turn off your instrument and remove the Piston Honda from the rack.

- Find the standoffs on the back of the module. Plug the expander board into the module, lining up the screw holes with the standoffs. It is not necessary to fasten the board with additional screws.

- Fill all six sockets on the expander with waveform ROMs, taking care to line up the notch on the socket with the notch on the chip.

- Hold down the "MODE" button in the Morph Discontinuity section.

- While holding the button, turn the instrument's power on.

- Wait one minute while the waveforms load from the expander to the memory. They will replace ROM (Z axis) locations A-F. When the load is complete, the module will activate and function as normal.

- Remove the expander board and re-install the unit in the rack. It is not necessary to leave the expander plugged into the MK2 piston.
JoshuaTSP
Artaos wrote:
I can't figure out how to use the FM input on my Piston Honda mkII. Whatever signal I patch in the FM input (constant, AC, LFO, audio rate, etc), it has no effect on the sound. This is with the corresponding attenuverter full CW, full CCW, or anywhere in between.

The "CV" frequency input works as expected, it's only the "FM" input that doesn't seem to work.

Didn't see this get answered.
same question. Any answers out there?
mt3
JoshuaTSP wrote:
Artaos wrote:

Didn't see this get answered.
same question. Any answers out there?

Works great here. Nice and gnarly knurls.
metel909
finally,,, I adopted them all...so happy to have them love
ianross
Hey All,

Any update on the issue with the FM pot affecting pitch? Does have older firmware they could send me in the meantime?

I also mentioned in another thread that on my current PH mk2 2.5.1 I'm getting some noise/artifacts when I use the FM input and turn the attenuator clockwise. You can hear it with purer waveforms. Anyone else getting these artifacts?
guestt
Mostly PH mk][ but also a really annoying exploration of timing shifts and fails, and the Hexinverter Snare too, drop just after 4:30:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/snare[/s]
snes
Been trying to find the expander for my MkII. Does anyone have one they want to part with? Seems almost impossible to find any online.

Does the expander include any rom set's? or are they purchased separately? Sorry in advance if that has been asked previously.
mt3
snes wrote:
Been trying to find the expander for my MkII. Does anyone have one they want to part with? Seems almost impossible to find any online.

Does the expander include any rom set's? or are they purchased separately? Sorry in advance if that has been asked previously.

Took me a year to find one used.
ROMs and Expander boards sold separately.
snes
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, once the Roms are loaded onto the module, is there any need to hang onto the expander?
monstrinho
snes wrote:
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify, once the Roms are loaded onto the module, is there any need to hang onto the expander?

Yes. There is no RAM that they would get loaded into, so you physically need both the expander and the chips themselves in order for the PH to access them.
snes
monstrinho wrote:
snes wrote:
mt3 wrote:
snes wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yes. There is no RAM that they would get loaded into, so you physically need both the expander and the chips themselves in order for the PH to access them.

Thanks for the clarification! But i was under the impression the MkII expander overwrites the internal banks A-F as they are a duplicate from existing 0-5 banks?
mt3
From the manual:
"The last 6 ROMs (A-F) may be overwritten by your own custom data, using the PISTON HONDA expander board. To use, plug the expander into the back of the module with the power OFF. Then, hold down the DISCONTINUITY MODE button and turn the power on, and wait one minute for the waves to load. Be sure to load all 6 slots of the expander, or you will have "blank spots" in the module's memory.
These waveforms are now written to the module’s memory, and you can remove the expander board."

PH mk I requires the expander board if I recall.
monstrinho
mt3 wrote:
From the manual:
"The last 6 ROMs (A-F) may be overwritten by your own custom data, using the PISTON HONDA expander board. To use, plug the expander into the back of the module with the power OFF. Then, hold down the DISCONTINUITY MODE button and turn the power on, and wait one minute for the waves to load. Be sure to load all 6 slots of the expander, or you will have "blank spots" in the module's memory.
These waveforms are now written to the module’s memory, and you can remove the expander board."

PH mk I requires the expander board if I recall.

OK, so I'm wrong and there is onboard RAM?? I was always under the impression that the Piston Honda worked exactly like the Wiard Mini Wave / Waveform City, reading the waveforms directly from the EPROM chips.
mt3
I'm unsure myself.
monstrinho
If The Mk 1 needs the Expander attached and the Mk 2 doesn't, that would seem to me to indicate that the Mk 1 reads directly from the EPROMs, but the Mk 2 loads the EPROM data into memory. At least that's how I understand the quote from the manual. Seems like the Mk 2 redesign was pretty extensive in that case...
snes
Hopefully in that case, it might be easier to get a hold of a used board and roms for my PH MK II module. I might start scouring the marketplace for one...or if anyone reading this is interested in sending me theirs with ROMS? love of course i am willing to pay for it.
guestt
PHmk||| ??? pfffft!!! Picked up a second hand PHmk][ for a song and the two together are glorious!!!

Muwahahahahahah hihi
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
PHmk||| ??? pfffft!!! Picked up a second hand PHmk][ for a song and the two together are glorious!!!

Muwahahahahahah hihi

Om
guestt
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but having a pair of these is just awesome mt3

They are going really cheap, I mean I paid £199 for this one which just seems totally insane to me - you would barely cover the cost of the parts for that price! I would never have done this if it wasn't so cheap, but I am really glad I did, the possibilities are waaaaaaaay more than the sum of the parts if that makes sense.
xthrasherx
I've been very tempted to pick up a Piston Honda mk II... I don't need another voice in my rack, but I've been wanting to try one out for a while. Maybe now's the time with the MKIII on the way.
guestt
Do it... xthrasherx thumbs up

Also excellent for LFO / modulation duties!
mt3
Baddcr wrote:
Do it... xthrasherx thumbs up

Also excellent for LFO / modulation duties!

Not just a VCO, not just an LFO, but can process external signals through its Wavefoldfukcshaper!

Try a cross-wavefolding patch with the the two PHmk][s.
Dead Banana MY ASS IS BLEEDING screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! twisted
guestt
This evenings jam smile

[s]https://soundcloud.com/kel/doublehondare[/s]

Yeah, it's 2 Piston Honda This is fun!

... one wave folding the other, the delay from Time Sefari, manually tapped in heh! In fact, everything is unsynchronised, just played in real time - well, kinda - only Harvestman case used.
darylc
Has anyone asked Scott about the FM input issue detuning main pitch?

If not, i'm going to ask him if it's possible to fix otherwise i'm reverting to FW 2.1

It makes pitched FM impossible as the tracking is knocked wayyy out with the CV/FM attenuverter

Really annoying as the full 0-5V CV input range makes it so much easier for xyz modulations.
mt3
darylc wrote:
Has anyone asked Scott about the FM input issue detuning main pitch?

If not, i'm going to ask him if it's possible to fix otherwise i'm reverting to FW 2.1

It makes pitched FM impossible as the tracking is knocked wayyy out with the CV/FM attenuverter

Really annoying as the full 0-5V CV input range makes it so much easier for xyz modulations.

Could you elaborate on the issue?
darylc
It's been mentioned here a few times already.

Hopefully the below outlines the issue in full.

FW V2.52 // PHMKII
No CV applied to any input except 1V/O on VCO.
Listening to Internal output only, everything at 0.

CV//FM attenuverter at 0, everything works perfectly, VCO tracks as expected.

Nothing patched into the CV//FM attenuverter when turned either direction changes the pitch and tracking of the internal ouput.
The tracking is changed so much so that it's not possible to play melodically.

Adding a CV or FM source to the relevant inputs does not remove this strange offset applied by the CV//FM attenuverter.

The result is you can't use the VCO melodically when applying any type of CV//FM modulation to the VCO.

This issue was not present in FW2.1

Frustrating!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 19