MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deep equinoxe finished and sounding excellent !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Deep equinoxe finished and sounding excellent !
Paradigm X
Another really easy build that worked first time (after i correctly wired the sockets oops )

Sound superb.

Im going to need to fiddle with the gain as im using it at line levels at the moment. Any suggested starting points for the two resistors mentioned?

Doing some reading -10dbV, which my mixer currently works at is near enough 1v p-p, so i need to reduce down by 10-1. Although you say the output is down 6dB... so half, 5v, pk-pk (?) so i need to change the resistors by a factor of 5 maybe ... good starting point.

Sorry, thinking out loud.

Thanks again, the oakley stuff is really easy to build.

Cheers, happy new year
Ben
Guinness ftw!
Synthbuilder
Thanks for the kind words and wishes Ben.

Paradigm X wrote:
Im going to need to fiddle with the gain as im using it at line levels at the moment.

I'd play around with R11. Currently it's at 6K8. Increasing is to 56K will increase the input sensitivity by five which should be good for line level signals.

You probably don't need to reduce the output level of the module since your mixer should be able to deal with it. However, if you do need to reduce the output by the same(ish) factor then changing R40 to 7K5 should do the trick.

Tony
Paradigm X
No thanks, playing with some other pcbs it great how easy yours are.

THanks for the tip, will have a play around with that resistor.

Ive got the adsr and the psu to build next then can really crack on

cheers, Ben
Paradigm X
Ive had a think about this and probably the simplest, and best, idea is to add a 50k (log) pot in series with the existing R11, to give me x1 to x5 gain - its going in a rack case so lots of panel room.
Brilliant!
Paradigm X
Paradigm X wrote:
add a 50k (log) pot in series with the existing R11, to give me x1 to x5 gain

Ok, so i did that, and it worked great, but i could do with a bit more level (its the way my mixer is set up at -10dB...)

I just thought id ask if there are any issue with putting an even bigger pot in there?s

I still need to figure out how to change the two switches into a rotary, im sure its possible but my brain really struggles with imagining switches...

Cheers
Ben
Synthbuilder
Paradigm X wrote:
Ok, so i did that, and it worked great, but i could do with a bit more level (its the way my mixer is set up at -10dB...)

I'm surprised you need more gain. Maybe it's the output level that needs boosting rather than the input level. However, if it's not distorting then you could probably take it still higher. So with that in mind...

Remove R13 and R11. Take your 50Klog pot's CCW (counter clockwise) pin and wire it to pin 1 of R11, which is the bottom pad. Connect the pot's CW pin to pin 2 of R13, which is the bottom pad. Connect the pot's wiper to pin 1 of R13, which is the top pad.

Tony
Paradigm X
Thanks Tony

Yeah, the levels on my mixer are all at -10, been meaning to mod it to +4dB but involves cutting traces and soldering links, over 24channels, 8 groups, sends, returns etc...

I really should do this, 'fixing' the equinoxe is kind of a bodge. Sadly theres a huge amount of wiring im kind of reluctant to rip out. That said, ill give it a go. Cheers smile

Another 'solution' im looking into is to make some sort of limiter/compressor from some of the THAT chips. There can be huge level differences out of the equinoxe, so it might be useful to have some sort of compressor on the output.

Cheers, Ben
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1