MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Resonators?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Resonators?
DonKartofflo
I have come to realize that I love the sound of melodically tuned resonators and I am using ableton lives resonator quite a lot recently.
I would rather have it as a euro module though, so what are your best resonator suggestions if one doesn't have 700+ to spend on a res-4?

Cheers
Don
stk
I asked this question some time ago and got varied answers, so I'll share my experiences.

The Ableton-style resonator is basically multiple tuned short delays in parallel, so unless you want to collect multiple BBD or digital delay modules you're best sticking with software or a dedicated hardware device.

FWIW the Res-4 is actually not that kind of sound, if you're going for the classic dubby chord resonator thing from Ableton.

I quite like the resonator in the Alesis quadraverb for this kind of thing.
ringstone
This effect is often found in Lexicon reverbs as well. My Lexicon Reflex has a version of it for example. I think the Ableton version is a bit more complex though.

Cheers
Blair
brickman
Bear in mind I've never used any of these....but it might be worth looking at

Analogue Systems RS360 or 3/4/5 RS 120s
Drumdrumdrumdrum
We could all do with more resonator and also LPG type modules. I love that stuff. love

Not exactly a resonator, but my Grendel Vocal Formant filter is dreamy. I have not been able to ping it. Has anyone else had any success pinging the Grendel?
silversurfer
brickman wrote:
Bear in mind I've never used any of these....but it might be worth looking at

Analogue Systems RS360 or 3/4/5 RS 120s

The RS120 is fantastic but you have to be careful, it can go from nice effect to dangerous speaker blowing within one notch. Love it.
fonik
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
We could all do with more resonator and also LPG type modules. I love that stuff. love

i hear you (currently working on a PS3100 resonator prototype)
JeshuaW
Metasynth has some of the best "software" resonators I've heard so far. Interface is a little bit to be desired though.
stk
See there's some confusion over the use of the term "resonator", exactly as when I posted a similar topic.

In this case, the OP is not talking about a pingable bpf like RES-4 or Korg PS3100, but rather multiple tuned digital delays (if you have Ableton Live, check out the Resonator effect in that).
Drumdrumdrumdrum
My bad. I'm not a Abelton guy.
Why Adapter
So is this kind of resonator similar to Karplus Strong? I read on EM where someone talked about implementing a hardware KS with All-pass filters instead of delay lines; maybe this could be used here?
Navs
stk wrote:
See there's some confusion over the use of the term "resonator", exactly as when I posted a similar topic...

Aye. The RES-4 is a thing of beauty but, if you want the Ableton thing, you could try the EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. It does the pinged/ ringing delay thing very well. I've modded mine for tap-tempo-from-modular. It momentarily cuts the signal when changed, but this can be used creatively.
phasebash
stk wrote:
See there's some confusion over the use of the term "resonator", exactly as when I posted a similar topic.

In this case, the OP is not talking about a pingable bpf like RES-4 or Korg PS3100, but rather multiple tuned digital delays (if you have Ableton Live, check out the Resonator effect in that).

I'm confused... both rely on feedback networks.

The main difference I see, is that Collision/Corpus are built from the collection of many resonator networks in a variety of routing configurations, while a RES-4 or Doepfer BBD is but only one unit said collection.

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/collision/
komyta
fonik wrote:
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:

i hear you (currently working on a PS3100 resonator prototype)

Hey, one Fonitronik resonator module would be great ! thumbs up
DonKartofflo
Thanks a lot for the informative and quick help you awesome guys! thumbs up

so basically a resonator is not a resonator. Thats a shame because I would really love to have voltage control over this kin of effect.
rs-360 looks marvellous though...
is it basically 3 rs-120s?
Do some of you guys hav an example of how chords with a res-4 or a doepfer resonator sound?
sb
Thinking aloud...could a crude approximation of the Ableton resonator be knocked up using the delay lines in the Nord Modular ?
Funky40
echophon is good as a resonator if you patch some more around the feedback. experiment !
LOVE it as a VCO ! ... or drone machine

256 stage and 512 stage Doepfer BBDs are worth it too for those who are badly interested in resonatorstuff. anyway worth it IMHO to have at least one
G2 has a very cool string filter.
my TC D-TWo works also as a resoantor. did that sometimes
I´d try any delay..... hihi
octatrack has string filters too. can be 8 tracks with string filters.
or one track with hmmm, i guess 3 string filters, this x2 ( i think )

never patched resonators with the delay lines on the NM1.
but i had these in in EVERY patch otherwise lol
was not into resoantors back then. now i have no midi connection. can´t check.
should work great, they go down to 0.01ms.IIRC
DonKartofflo
thanks a lot for the suggestions funky40 I'd just really love to have it in euro as a module without having to buy four or five bbds or echophones seriously, i just don't get it
Anybody used the rs-360? seriously, i just don't get it
stk
sb wrote:
Thinking aloud...could a crude approximation of the Ableton resonator be knocked up using the delay lines in the Nord Modular ?

Possibly, I might have a try of that today, see if it gets to useful lengths before running out of CPU.

Another, relatively cheap, option would be a handful of cheap delay pedals (behringer or crossfire or the like, can be found for < $50 each) with vactrol control over delay times hmmm.....

I would love a Ableton-style resonator with, say, 4 delay lines that track 1v/oct.
stk
Why Adapter wrote:
So is this kind of resonator similar to Karplus Strong?

I think so.

phasebash wrote:

I'm confused... both rely on feedback networks.
The main difference I see, is that Collision/Corpus are built from the collection of many resonator networks in a variety of routing configurations, while a RES-4 or Doepfer BBD is but only one unit said collection.
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/collision/

I'm not familiar with that Ableton pack, but the effect we wer referring to is the standard Resonator that comes with Live:

Here's an article from SOS:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/live-tech-0811.htm
mudlogger
Funky40

+1

The nearest i've got to that Abelton Resonator sound is with the Echophon + feedback thumbs up

I had a RES 4 and it wasn't easy to get that Resonator sound. It was great for pinging though.
skipperdean
Don: i prefer my quadraverb's resonator to ableton's; not euro but defintely worth the . Also not euro, but the already mentioned metasynth is amazing if you haven't tried it yet. That tie fighter rs-120 yt video always gets me lusty.
ether
Moog's Cluster Flux and it's feedback knob can get you sort of in the same ballpark too, though there's only one delay line.
stk
stk wrote:
sb wrote:

Possibly, I might have a try of that today, see if it gets to useful lengths before running out of CPU.

I'm trying this now and it's defniitely in the same territory. Using a modified version of the "tuned delay lines" patch from the online Nord Mod book I have three parallel delay lines playing chords @ ~90% cpu.

It's definitely more touchy and easier to drive into distortion than the plugin.
stk
Here's some quick and dirty audio of the above.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3