MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tenori-On
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Tenori-On
sascha.victoria
Its been out for a while now. Anyone out there have one? Do you love it? Hate it? I've recently gotten very intrigued by it for controlling other synths or loading samples. Please chime in if you have one.
confusional
Redacted.
Mr. Sound Boy King
Kind of a funny trade to me as I'd absolutely love to control the Machinedrum with a Tenori-On razz
science
How useful is the MIDI implementation on these? I've heard in the past that they can only be slaved to other tenori-ons, and not to other MIDI devices or a DAW - true?
confusional
Redacted.
Cat-A-Tonic
bradleyallen wrote:
science wrote:
How useful is the MIDI implementation on these? I've heard in the past that they can only be slaved to other tenori-ons, and not to other MIDI devices or a DAW - true?

Right out of the box I hooked up the Tenori-On to my Moog LP. Since the Moog is monophonic, only the first layer was usable, though I could still use the other layers for internal sounds. Switching voices on the Tenori-On changed the patches on the Moog. It just worked, including octave changes, transpose, etc.

Now, if I was using, say a Nord 2X, I could've had four different externally sequenced layers going at once.

And yes, it works as a MIDI controller for your DAW too. Come up with a funky bounce or draw sequence with your soft synth, and record/loop it.

So it seems that the cute, unassuming Tenori-On prefers to be the master, and not the slave.
...the little sadist.
science
I get that it works as a MIDI controller, but can it be slaved to the tempo of other devices?
jenamu6
I had one and I loved the concept, but it's just not working.

It has some serious isues, especially with the timing.

I won't sync for a long time, te midiclock is not stable and it even glitches on it's own in busy patterns.

It's cpu is just not strong enough, it seems.

I'ts an overpriced toy with an underpowered processor.

I sold mine........check for more issues the tenori on forum (almost a dead place)
Ranxerox
science wrote:
I get that it works as a MIDI controller, but can it be slaved to the tempo of other devices?

According to google, the MIDI Implementation Chart on page 118 of the Tenori On user manual says that the device sends and receives "System Realtime: Clock Commands", but note: only effective in slave mode.
Ranxerox
jenamu6 wrote:

I won't sync for a long time, te midiclock is not stable and it even glitches on it's own in busy patterns.

It's a Yamaha, it has MIDI stability issues... hmmm, I wonder if the problem is something to do with active sensing messages.

Again, p.118 of the manual says that Tenori On sends and receives active sensing, which is basically a continuous stream of MIDI garbage that clutters up the buffer memory of any receiving device.

I had a Yamaha DX11 years ago that did this, there was no way to disable it. If you can, see of the Tenori On lets you switch this function off and see if your sync problem continues...
confusional
Redacted.
science
jenamu6 wrote:

I sold mine........check for more issues the tenori on forum (almost a dead place)

That sucks, but is what I had thought I heard before. Too bad they couldn't do it right. It would be great if they fixed those issues and released a dedicated sequencer on the same platform.
sascha.victoria
Some of my best sound making devices are toys and let me tell you, when recorded with a $5k mic through a Neve pre they sound quite amazing.
Umcorps
I've no experience of it syncing with other devices, but I've never had any timing problem with it when slaved to Logic.

On it's own it's kind of limited and the onboard soundset is woeful. But once you hook it up to Logic it can be a great little controller especially when you start to process or rechannel the midi data it puts out.
felix
The fact that you can define different loop start and end points, as well as clock rate (beat division) for *each score layer* is very impressive. This has been one of the most enticing things about it. Plus with the "Advanced mode" you can change the performance type (Score, Bounce, Random, etc) for each of the 16 layers.

The sounds don't sound that awful to me. They certainly are of a particular type, but it's hard to tell from a lot of the video demos because it doesn't seem like a lot of people are exploring the different sounds. It's a little hard to believe that the 256, or whatever it is, sounds are that similar.

Also, a lot of the video demos seem to keep using the default Ionian scale. Has anyone explored the other scales? More exotic scales and different clocks and sequence lengths between Score patterns seems to me like under-exploited features of it. At least as far as demo videos have indicated.

I keep my eye out for a good deal for one and would snap one up just to experiment with and see if I enjoyed it. The fact that I find very little information of people really pushing the boundaries of all the features makes it an attractive device to me.
sascha.victoria
I hear what you guys are saying about the sync issues and whatever OS bugs but I can't decide how much that matters. Yes its Yamaha but really, its a boutique item that wasn't designed by them.

I have a 999 which has some pretty strange bugs but I've learned to expect certain things and I know how to work around it. Does that take away from the experience or amazing sound? In my opinion, not really. Same goes for a MD or pretty much any boutique synth product that has an OS.

I'm not sure what we should take from this point but I thought it was worth throwing into the discussion.

Also, the demo's I've seen for the most part are pretty similar in scope. Is this because people get it and make a demo before they know how to use it? Is this because its what the machine can do and you're limited to that thing. Or if I relate it to Buchla, is it because there's very few Alessandro Cortini's out there making interesting 'traditional' music with it?
Ranxerox
sascha.victoria wrote:

I have a 999 which has some pretty strange bugs but I've learned to expect certain things and I know how to work around it. Does that take away from the experience or amazing sound? In my opinion, not really. Same goes for a MD or pretty much any boutique synth product that has an OS.

You can throw the Kawai K5000S in with that assessment, for sure. Woolly UI, but worth it.

What bugs does your 999 have? I'm thinking to get a 999 or 888 some time soon.
Fnord
Midi out of tenori into my virus b (and some other stuff via a midi quadra through box) and it is 16 arpeggiated chanels of INSTANT TECHNOâ„¢

Aside from that, I find sequencing things with abstract geometric patterns to be very appealing, and there is a hands on immediacy to it. It's a nifty little step sequencer with blinkenlights.
sb
I have a tenori-on and I love mine. People seem to forget that it was designed primarily as a standalone performance instrument and I think that in this regard it excels. Sure, the sound-set could be better, but sometimes working with a limited palette forces you to be more creative. I find that pitching the sounds way up or down and changing their lengths expands the possibilities quite a bit.

Lately I've been wondering whether the pairing of a Tenori-on and one of those Midi Solutions Event Processor's would open it up more in the controller realm (eg. this can be used to map notes to midi controllers, filter unwanted data etc). Might also be used to improve sync as it can filter out midi/sysex.
Mr. Sound Boy King
I'd like to see / hear more demos of the Tenori through a shit-ton of weird effects boxes.
felix
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
I'd like to see / hear more demos of the Tenori through a shit-ton of weird effects boxes.

Check out this guy's videos:

Umcorps
Not sure if it counts as a shitload as the FXs are a bit subtle, but this is a piece I made using the Tenori-on driving Sonic Coture's hangdrum Kontakt instrument.

http://umcorps.bandcamp.com/track/drops

The Tenori-On part was recorded "live" in one pass using some predefined patterns which then were modified on the fly.

I used realtime midi processing in the Logic environment to vary the velocity of data from the T-O (its fixed as standard) and to shuffle up the timing a little to make it feel more organic. Basically doing the sort of stuff sb was getting at.
evs
hey, before i buy a tenori on, i would say get a monome!
monome.org
you can even buy kits, its much more cheaper and it can look funny and building is much fun (when you do it with a friend.)
best thing i ever bought.. well one of the best things..
Kent
science wrote:
jenamu6 wrote:

That sucks, but is what I had thought I heard before. Too bad they couldn't do it right. It would be great if they fixed those issues and released a dedicated sequencer on the same platform.

The thing is that these issues could conceivably be fixed through an update. If the code is optimized, that would ease the load on the CPU and they could give more priority to MIDI timing and such.
confusional
Redacted.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3