MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cwejman S1 mk2 racking/integration into modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Cwejman S1 mk2 racking/integration into modular?
matttech
hi all

am excitedly awaiting the arrival of my new S1 mk2, but there's one thing that's gonna be an issue right from the outset - i have nowhere that i can really rack it vertically, except on top of a little filing cabinet to the right of my setup (see pictures below)

so....has anyone got any ideas regarding the best way of integrating it into this setup? anyone put it into a suitcase-type of affair?

i would also like to be able to bring the sockets on the back of it round to the front if possible - anyone done that effectively?

have got one of these lying around at work, and was thinking i could possibly stand it up on the filing cabinet, and maybe DIY a 1u panel with sockets on (connected to the rear). the only thing is....it would create a load of reflections from my right hand speaker that might adversely affect the stereo imaging of my monitoring

otherwise, some kind of metal suitcase might work, ideally with enough space to add a 1u socket panel. then i could just lay it flat on the filing cabinet, and also be able to take it out and about with me. anyone know of something that would fit the bill?

another option would be to somehow make some wooden "joists" to go on either side of the S1, with it screwed into them - simply to raise it up off the desk so that i can plug stuff into the back/underside of it seriously, i just don't get it

maybe i should ask Ross (microsopial)....
slow_riot
first of all, congrats on the purchase!

second, you might have reached that grave time in the development of a studio where you need to make use of the space to the left or right...

floor mounted simple 19" frame?

or relegate the computer... ?
tIB
Make a pull out shelf from under the desk.
matttech
tIB wrote:
Make a pull out shelf from under the desk.

i've actually got one, but it's a bit deep and would constantly be banging into my knees i reckon - might be worth a go though.

have found a few mixer flightcases that look pretty good:

both pretty cheap - £80 or so...

don't really need the extra space under the top panel, but i guess i could fill it with something! hihi

these looks pretty cool too - although it's overkill for me. might be fun for someone else though

would make a neat little setup if you had a couple of bits of outboard, a couple of eurorack 19" frames and a little rack synth like a Waldorf Pulse...
Count Edlington
Ditch the screen, total buzzkill. I think you've got enough modules now to ditch the computer altogether and plunge into the madness of improvised modular noodling that all us wigglers are all destined to do eventually.

Now is your time my son Om
corex
Buy more desk or a side table or something.
tIB
Those mixer cases are like the one I bought for that gig- note measurements carefully is my advice!
monstrinho
Maybe the best solution would be to rethink the studio furniture? Something wider with wings on both sides. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big investment either. These things come up used fairly often, though generally "local pickup only" due to size. If you know someone with a van or truck and could drive to pick something up, you might be able to get something cheap. I think you'd find a new desk a better solution than trying to cram more stuff into an already crowded space. That said, you might also consider putting the monitor on one of those wall mount arms. It could swing down to its current viewing position when needed, but up and out of the way when not. The Cwejman could take that spot on top of the monster base.
matttech
Count Edlington wrote:
Ditch the screen, total buzzkill. I think you've got enough modules now to ditch the computer altogether and plunge into the madness of improvised modular noodling that all us wigglers are all destined to do eventually.

Now is your time my son Om

never gonna happen! - i like my mixing/ post-production (and the level of control it gives me) WAY too much to ever do that. i don't mind doing the odd recording direct to "tape", but i use way too many effects/ EQs/ compressors (and automation) during mixing to make it a viable solution long-term
matttech
tIB wrote:
Those mixer cases are like the one I bought for that gig- note measurements carefully is my advice!

why do you say that?
tIB
Because mine was about twice the size I imagined in my head!

Reverse:

Umcorps
Possibly one of these?

If its messing with your imaging you can wheel it out of the way while you're mixing.

40 quid from Thomman. A bit big for just the S1 but once you've brought the connections round from the back you've got 6u left, looking at you and waiting to be filled.

And you do like a challenge.
jbdiver
In terms of how to access those jacks on the back of the s1, here was my solution:

http://www.cwejmanusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=157
M-Circus
That panel is actually a very good idea. Where did you have the faceplate made?
stainers
The simplest solution is to cut some wooden cheeks and have it laying horizontally on the filing cabinet like a typical desktop synth, that doesn't account for jbdiver's panel though you could extend the cheeks to accommodate another 3U etc. but I reckon you're going to want it all closer to the rest of your modular.
As nice as that desk is it looks ridiculously small for the amount of gear you have on it, I'd suggest getting a wider one or/and get another one and start getting your L on.

M-Circus wrote:
Where did you have the faceplate made?

It's in the thread - The panel was machined at Front Panel Express -- expensive but I'm pleased with the result.
M-Circus
No need to read stuff when you can ask silly questions yano...

Sorry. ;-)
jbdiver
If anyone wants the FPE file for this little panel just PM me. I now consider it essential for integrating the s1 with my modules.
matttech
stainers wrote:
The simplest solution is to cut some wooden cheeks and have it laying horizontally on the filing cabinet like a typical desktop synth, that doesn't account for jbdiver's panel though you could extend the cheeks to accommodate another 3U etc. but I reckon you're going to want it all closer to the rest of your modular.
As nice as that desk is it looks ridiculously small for the amount of gear you have on it, I'd suggest getting a wider one or/and get another one and start getting your L on.

M-Circus wrote:
Where did you have the faceplate made?

It's in the thread - The panel was machined at Front Panel Express -- expensive but I'm pleased with the result.

that’s pretty much where i’ve got to with my thinking now - the end cheeks will probably end up being acrylic, with an extra 1u extension to accommodate a horizontal panel containing the rear outputs, along with some multiples + attenuators.

re: the desk - it’s actually pretty workable, and doesn’t feel cramped (and i’m pretty fussy about these things!) it’s in our bedroom, so expanding is NOT an option! the only irritating thing about it is that i have to choose between keyboard or skiff really, as they will both fit on the front of the desk, but not at the same time. might have to dig out that under-desk pull-out shelf after all.

originally i wanted an Ikea Jerker desk, as they are bigger and have loads more attachments/ expansions.....but they discontinued them right about the time i was looking into them, and realistically they are too deep and would stick out too far into my room. maybe one day, if i get a separate room for modular gear..........

check out the Jerker action going on on Google images...amazing how much gear people fit onto these things...and they are really sturdily built too. the side shelves can easily take Mackie Powered monitors and the like. the heights of the shelves are really adjustable too, which is a downside of mine - there are only so many options in terms of height, due to the spacing of the holes for slotting the shelves in. it does me though - other options are either too big, too expensive, or there’s something annoying about them.
matttech
here’s some better pictures of the setup - it’s actually pretty tidy. everything is in easy reach, and i can sit comfortably in front of it without ending up in awkward positions. i COULD put the skiff up on the top shelf, and maybe fill it entirely with sequencers and stuff i tend to “set and forget” - then i’d be able to have the keyboard on the desk again. the skiff was designed to be positioned either vertically or desktop, hence the "boring” box-shape!

matttech
if you look carefully you’ll notice the Gearslutz mug sitting casually in the frame.... hihi
Mercutio
Umcorps wrote:
Possibly one of these?

+ 1 !
stainers
I do like how you've got everything so neatly stacked, and if you don't feel cramped then it's all good. Maybe you can just swap the computer and filing cabinet around and save all those inevitable cables snaking over the keyboard and mouse to the S1. I dunno about putting stuff on the top shelf, patching looks so user friendly as it is.

The Jerker does look pretty good in some of those setups. I've been thinking about getting someone to build me the perfect desk when I've got the cash, with a friend in demolition keeping an eye out for a batch of good floorboards it shouldn't be too expensive.
matttech
stainers wrote:
I do like how you've got everything so neatly stacked, and if you don't feel cramped then it's all good. Maybe you can just swap the computer and filing cabinet around and save all those inevitable cables snaking over the keyboard and mouse to the S1. I dunno about putting stuff on the top shelf, patching looks so user friendly as it is.

The Jerker does look pretty good in some of those setups. I've been thinking about getting someone to build me the perfect desk when I've got the cash, with a friend in demolition keeping an eye out for a batch of good floorboards it shouldn't be too expensive.

yeah, that’s not a bad call re: cables/ keyboard+mouse. that could get annoying. would like to keep it on the right if at all possible though, as that is where i sit for computer work, and i’m right handed so it feels right to me.

to be honest, i quite often end up with cables trainling all over the keyboard, but it doesn’t bother me too much because it’s wireless, so i can simply pick it up and move it. and patching and computer work don’t tend to cross over TOO much, as all i’m generally doing while patching is pressing record every now and then. once i’ve recorded, and am moving on to more mac-heavy post-production/ mixing etc.. i tend to unpatch.

i COULD simply move the filing cabinet over to the left hand side, under the desk, and then that would open up many more options for mounting the Cwejman, including the one above, suggested by Umcorps....although 12u is WAY too big - and we ALL know what happens when i’m faced with yawning empty spaces....

could always get it cut down by the engineering dept. at work though i guess..

irritatingly enough, i DO actually HAVE a 6u rack upstairs....but it’s a really deep SKB type one, that is ugly as hell and would take up an unnecessary amount of room, considering how shallow the Cwejman is. maybe it could be cut down though...

it’s this one:

in fact....maybe i’m being a bit thick here - i could simply stand it on its backside, on top of a low table, with the rack holes facing upwards.. and screw the bloody S1 onto the top of it!!!! the only drawback would be that it would be completely horizontal/ flat. would certainly be a temporary fix though. why didn’t i think of that before??
tIB
^ dont use that, it will look horrible and, um, I need one. Sell it to me!
matttech
tIB wrote:
^ dont use that, it will look horrible and, um, I need one. Sell it to me!

done! let the bartering commence!

...and you're right - it looked utterly ridiculous, upended and perched atop an Ikea Rast. the ultimate in looking shit

have found various bits and pieces in the loft (metal panels from old workstations etc..), some of which may well prove useful in my quest

just re-attached the keyboard shelf, and it's not too bad actually - would probably have to remove the keyboard and push the shelf right under the desk if i was doing any protracted mac work, as it is a little bothersome in terms of making you feel a bit "restricted"

certainly solves the skiff or keyboard dilemma though. behold!

sometimes i think i actually enjoy all this kind of pissing about more than making the music itself.....i guess it harks back to the days of Star Wars figures, and the creation of epic vistas through judicious use of sheets and various torches and lamps! not sure it ever strictly adhered to health and safety guidelines, but they were more innocent times...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3