MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Audio Frequency Decoder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author LZX Audio Frequency Decoder
Arturo00
I had a bit of money from the sale of a few pieces of gear so I decided I'd buy a video module. It was a toss up between Divisions, Colorspace Mapper or Video Logic. But out of nowhere I did a total 90 degree and got the AFD. I wasn't even planning on getting it cos I already have a Doepfer A-119, but I figured, what the heck?!

I'm just writing to let everyone know that if you don't have this module and you're in anyway incorporating your video system with external audio, GET IT! It's fucking awesome. No more scaling required. Envelopes for eight separate audio frequencies!!! A built in mic! Wide gain control! It's a light show all on it's own with those 8 LEDs lighting up with the music hyper This module is a dream come true for me! I have gigs lined up and this thing is going to animate the hell out of my system smile

Can you tell I'm excited! hyper hyper hyper hyper

Thanks Lars. Great addition.

My only complaint is that I wish it had a parallel audio out. I know you can use the mic's out, but it would be cool to also have a parallel out of the line input scaled down to LZX levels. (hides)
zapp550
I definitely thinks it a must have module too, and would go as far as to say this would even be a great module for people without a video synthesis system who enjoy experimenting Rockin' Banana! After setting up a patch it helped keep the visual portion moving while I was tweaking the audio portion.
lizlarsen
Awesome, glad you're having fun guys!! This one went through more design changes and revisions than any other module, I think. I've been playing with design ideas from day one.

Quote:
it would be cool to also have a parallel out of the line input scaled down to LZX levels.

I guess the reason we didn't do that was because line level audio is already an appropriate voltage scale for the LZX system (~1.4Vpp). But that doesn't help you with scaling down 10Vpp audio mixes.

Some cool tricks/possibilities:

Just feed it a wide ranging VCO, and FM the VCO (or FM a bank of VCAs being fed a bunch of fixed frequency sine waves) and record the audio simultaneously. Now you've got a recorded audio channel that can be decoded to 8 different CV channels... master it on a DVD for pre-synched visual/CV modulation sources.
Arturo00
I wasn't even thinking of using it with my audio modular. I was more thinking about being able to modulate the PW of a VWG with the audio signal from a DJ mixer or something. For now the mic out will work alright for this.

Either way, great module.

For some reason I'm more excited about this module than any other.
lizlarsen
The line out from any "line level" audio device like a DJ mixer should be just fine for patching directly into the LZX via adapter cables to 1/8". smile

I'm glad you're sharing the intended excitement and fun of this module. smile It's so much fun to have a module that you can talk to and it responds!! I sit here all the time just talking to my video synth now.
Matos
Glad this is out and the kids are loving it. I remember seeing an early prototype in mr. Woods rig when I first dreamed of dabbling in video. This is my next purchase once my new case arrives! nanners
Arturo00
creatorlars wrote:
The line out from any "line level" audio device like a DJ mixer should be just fine for patching directly into the LZX via adapter cables to 1/8". smile

True. I guess I'd just have to split the audio signal; one for direct audio modulation and one for the AFD.
Cat-A-Tonic
I love this module.

The built in mic is really handy for acoustic shows.

Unfortunately...
It seems sensitive to PSU noise.

Running it with a TipTop powered buss yields lots of noisy bleed from oscillators and LFOs on the same buss; especially around 120Hz.

I switched it over to a case with a linear PSU and the problem was solved.
lizlarsen
The mic is intended to be a "fun" feature, more than a precision or low noise pre-amp/mic solution. I loved the idea of being able to talk to a module and watch it blink back in response. Too much fun not to add to the circuit, for very little extra cost. At high gain settings it is definitely going to be noisy and susceptible to bleed. The primary signal path (the actual frequency decoders/envelope followers) contains no high gain circuitry or potentially noisy bits.

If you're in a mission critical performance scenario, using an external mic and preamp should solve any noise issues caused by the AFD's pre-amp circuit. When at shows with a soundboard, I try to get a monitor send from the sound guy and ask them to send just drums or some simpler version of the mix.
Cat-A-Tonic
lizlarsen wrote:
The mic is intended to be a "fun" feature, more than a precision or low noise pre-amp/mic solution. I loved the idea of being able to talk to a module and watch it blink back in response. Too much fun not to add to the circuit, for very little extra cost. At high gain settings it is definitely going to be noisy and susceptible to bleed. The primary signal path (the actual frequency decoders/envelope followers) contains no high gain circuitry or potentially noisy bits.

If you're in a mission critical performance scenario, using an external mic and preamp should solve any noise issues caused by the AFD's pre-amp circuit. When at shows with a soundboard, I try to get a monitor send from the sound guy and ask them to send just drums or some simpler version of the mix.

Yes, it is fun.
I agree that in most situations you would want to plug in directly.
That said, the mic has come in handy for live work in one situation for me.
The club wasn't running a desk or monitors.
Everything was acoustic.
We could have set up an extra mic or 2, but didn't.

When you do want to use this "fun" feature
a linear PSU (Power 1) will make its sound and the CV output a million times cleaner compared to a switching power supply like the TipTop powered buss board.

This is actually the first bleed issue I have had with the TipTop supplies.
So they're not useless, but there are limits to what modules will be 100% functional on such power.

Of course linear PSUs have drawbacks too.
They are heavy, produce heat, and you need a really big one to supply enough power for a multiple rows of hungry modules.
04tm34l3
I'm looking to get into vjing with my lzx for dance partys...

people who have this module do you think it reacts well with house music, kick drums etc.

Do you get smooth consistent envelopes, not cracky warbly shit?

Not alot of demos of this one, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
opticveil
04tm34l3 I use it every time I play live at techno/house events. It works great with dance music and the fact that video reacts to sound makes it even more special and fitting to the environment. I definitely would recommend using this module.
Cat-A-Tonic
04tm34l3 wrote:

Do you get smooth consistent envelopes, not cracky warbly shit?

The envelopes that come out of it are smoothly, consistently following the amplitude (volume)
of the audio band around each center frequency (15khz.....60hz).

I think it works really well. Essential to certain patches.

For example:
You can control the level of each of the 8 stages in the video sequencer
each with a different frequency band of the audio.
It's kind of like a video vocoder in a way.

I sometimes use a different module to get the amplitude voltage
of all the input audio.
04tm34l3
Cool thank you! I ordered it a week ago I have my first dance party gig with the visionary coming up this month! nanners

Not like I doubt Liz's engineering, still reassuring to hear its what I expect and need it to be.

Cat - not sure what you mean with the video sequencer. the application of that module still seems a tad perplexing to me. Also I only know what a vocorder sounds like not sure at all what the algorithm is like.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1