MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lazertran help.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Lazertran help.
Waz
Panda3oy helped me design the faceplate for my steiner filter. I need to find a method of putting the design on the piece of aluminum. I only have access to an inkjet printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazertran-Inkjet-Transfer-8-5x11-Sheets/dp/B001L UF54E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251265355&sr=8-1

Will this work? Are there any cheaper lazertran sheets? Whats the difference between these and the standar lazertran sheets?

Will I be able to do colors, like a pink background with black lettering for instance?

Thank you for all your help

*edited to add picture
panda30y
Waz wrote:
Panda3oy helped me design the faceplate for my steiner filter. I need to find a method of putting the design on the piece of aluminum. I only have access to an inkjet printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazertran-Inkjet-Transfer-8-5x11-Sheets/dp/B001L UF54E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251265355&sr=8-1

Will this work? Are there any cheaper lazertran sheets? Whats the difference between these and the standar lazertran sheets?

Will I be able to do colors, like a pink background with black lettering for instance?

Thank you for all your help

If you're going to do the pink background we discussed, i would just paint the panel pink, then do the lazertran transfer in black.
Waz
Dont I have to bake the panels though? Baking them with paint on will mess up the paint won't it?
Moog$FooL$
wish i could help..... waah

but i can say that's a great looking design!!!

good luck.
ndkent
I was curious and looked at the Amazon address. That description doesn't sound like the Lazertran other people have been talking about though still might be useful.

Given the description of using using it on walls and furniture that most definitely does not sound like the Lazertran other people are baking for hours onto aluminum.

What it sounds like you found is some sort of decal paper that's pretty versatile though untested as to thinks like scratching.
Waz
ndkent wrote:
I was curious and looked at the Amazon address. That description doesn't sound like the Lazertran other people have been talking about though still might be useful.

Given the description of using using it on walls and furniture that most definitely does not sound like the Lazertran other people are baking for hours onto aluminum.

What it sounds like you found is some sort of decal paper that's pretty versatile though untested as to thinks like scratching.

It's the same as this isnt it
;
http://www.lazertran.com/products/lazertran_products_inkjet.htm
Waz
bump
Luka
hmm i thought i replied to this topic

there is a few different types of lazertran
the only you really need to care about is the original and the inkjet version to help you work with your printer type

i would recommend painting first then lazertran, getting solid colours via transfer is going to be tough. on the otherhand baking a painted panel is not the best thing.

perhaps paint it first
then do the normal lazertran method (non-bake)
and then add a few lazyers of some adhesive spray to fix the finish
Luka
btw i would consider swapping some of your jack locations
your out jack is going to make it hard to tweak the knobs

consider swappnig out with all in
since if you use the all-in where the outjack is now you will have hand access from the left side of the panel
Moog$FooL$
Luka wrote:
hmm i thought i replied to this topic

there is a few different types of lazertran
the only you really need to care about is the original and the inkjet version to help you work with your printer type

i would recommend painting first then lazertran, getting solid colours via transfer is going to be tough. on the otherhand baking a painted panel is not the best thing.

perhaps paint it first
then do the normal lazertran method (non-bake)
and then add a few lazyers of some adhesive spray to fix the finish

what he said!! Guinness ftw!
Waz
Luka wrote:
btw i would consider swapping some of your jack locations
your out jack is going to make it hard to tweak the knobs

consider swappnig out with all in
since if you use the all-in where the outjack is now you will have hand access from the left side of the panel

I dont really have the option to switch. I bought the CGS Euro Steiner. It's kinda locked in that position.
sanders
The inkjet version of lazertran is much different than 'regular' lazertran (for laserjet printers).

I would not mess with the inkjet version, it's not good for panel graphics. It's not easy to work with, nor does it yeild good results. It's easy to tear, it's always opaque white (unless you perform some complicated alchemy on it), and the ink bleeds very easily.

Find a laser printer that you can use (but be aware, not all laserjet printers will work).
jaidee
There are several different types of Lazertran, all of which are explained on the Lazertran website.

The only sort which can be baked onto a panel is the original Lazertran paper which only works with a very limited number of laser printers and office copiers (apparenly it relies on silicone release oil in the toner of the printer/copier which is now obsolete in most printers/copiers).

The Lazertran paper which works with inkets CANNOT be baked onto panels.

I don't agree that the results that can be achieved with the inkjet compatible paper are necessarily poor. It does take time and trouble though.

The paper works like a transfer. The image is printed onto the paper - colour can be used as well as black and white, and my experience is that fine detail is possible as long as the printer settings are carefully adjusted - and then the paper is immersed in water so that the top coat floats off and is transferred to the panel. This part is undoubtedly tricky.

So far as I can recall, the transfer part of the paper is completely transparent. So you can certainly paint a panel pink and then apply a transfer with the labels, etc, to get the effect that you want

I found that the following helped: spraying the printed image with clear lacquer BEFORE soaking it off. Using hole stamps to cut out holes in the paper at the appropriate points (i.e. where the jacks, pots, switches, l.e.d.s, etc are going to go), BEFORE soaking off and applying the transfer. I found that applying the transfer to the panel and then drilling through it invariably caused the transfer to lift. Oversize the holes in the transfer, and make the transfer as a whole slightly smallr than the size of the panel, so that when it is applied, several coats of clear lacquer can be applied overlapping from the transfer onto the metal.

Hope this helps!
Luka
yeh right
i didnt realise the inkjet one was so bad

why do you punch holes in it first?
i had no troubles drilling through the panel once the lazertran was baked on
do you drill the panel before adding the lazertran?
sanders
jaidee wrote:
So far as I can recall, the transfer part of the paper is completely transparent. So you can certainly paint a panel pink and then apply a transfer with the labels, etc, to get the effect that you want

It's not transparent to begin with, it's opaque white.

As I understand it, it will become transparent only after applying a coat of laquer. However, I found that the ink will bleed very easily when applying any kind of coat onto the transfer. So, it's a pretty touchy business all around-- unlike regular lasertran.

The inkjet version is also more of a paper/pulpy type of material and will tear far easier than normal lasertran. This makes it quite difficult to register/align your graphics perfectly because you can only move it around just so much before it begins to tear.
scozbor
this explains why i gave up on lazertran so quickly.
i must have had the crappy inkjet variety.

lots of bleeding with lacquer. ripping. end result would turn clear. etc
Waz
This is all good advice. Thank you guys. My stepfather has an old school lazerjet from the mid to late 90s. He bought toner cartridges in bulk. Hopefully its on this list.

If lazertran isn't an option are there any other cheap methods. that would yield similar to same results?
jaidee
Hi Luka

You can't bake the inkjet Lazertran, only the original Lazertran - which only works with a very limited range of mostly obsolete printers and copiers.

The inkjet Lazertran is fixed to the metal surface with a fairly weak adhesive. My experience was that any attempt to drill through the Lazertran invariably caused it to lift off the metal surace and to tear. My solution was to cut out holes in the Lazertran sheet befoe soaking off the transfer so that when the transfer was in place I would drill through bare metal.
sanders
scozbor wrote:
this explains why i gave up on lazertran so quickly.
i must have had the crappy inkjet variety.

lots of bleeding with lacquer. ripping. end result would turn clear. etc

Yep, me too! I started with the inkjet variety and had so many problems that I gave up on lazertran entirely for about a year. Only much later did I discover that original lazertran is a very different product, and well worth using for graphics. It's easy to work with and makes very professional looking graphics possible and affordable.

The only issue is finding the right kind of printer. I bought an HP2550 for $75 for this purpose.
bananeurysm
Ahh - so I read through a bunch of other threads here and at e-m, and came to the conclusion that lazertran was a pain and not worth my attempt... but it looks like this conclusion might be wrong?

Has anyone gotten a decent looking panel on the first or second try? Is it actually cost effective? (I have access to laser printers at my work. . .)

Guinness ftw!
Fidgit
i use lazertran quite often.
i buy it in UK and print it with the HP laserjet 1010 and then

either use it with the sticky side down (e.g. on a wooden surface) and apply some layers of protective varnish

or i print it mirrored and bake it (on a surface of aluminium).

that's really no big deal it you follow the included guidelines. it simply works for me.

therefore i think i can't tell much more than what's written in the guidelines anyway. but still - feel free to ask.

cost effective? it depends on your personal idea of "cost effectiveness".
bananeurysm
so the printers i have access to are not listed on the lazertran website.. they're dell laser printers.

anyone have any experience with using random laser printers and lazertran?
Luka
there is a thread on electro-music in the pcb layouts sections going through printers you can use for pnp blue. id check there too
tragedybysyntax
Well I realized that i have access to a toner printer that uses fuser oil. HELL YES!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1