MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metasonix TM-1 users out there?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Metasonix TM-1 users out there?
boydpost
I've had a TM-1 for ages now and I've mainly used it as a distortion effect on audio signals with some success. Now I'm trying to integrate it into my small but burgeoning modular system. It works, but I feel like I haven't really found it's full range or it's sweet spot.
Anyone out there have one and use it for a favorite trick? ...or treat?
Or should I just sell it and pick up one of the newer Euro modules? Leaning towards the sale, but I don't want to regret it!
Thanks
hollowman
Not got one but as a waveshaper it is pretty good. thumbs up

Don't sell it unless you need the money for something else.
mecanikill
It can be a great waveshaper and the ringmod are pretty wicked on it. I like feeding it back into itself while running oscillators through it. Don't sell your TM1 there are way more options with it than the R.
thermionicjunky
Make sure that your input signals have discontinuities. Bring the pulser to self-oscillation, then back off. Bring up the input level until the input signal and pulses are reasonably balanced. Use the VCA to alter this balance. I like fairly high-pitched signals because the pulser will produce divisions at many settings.
boydpost
mecanikill wrote:
It can be a great waveshaper and the ringmod are pretty wicked on it. I like feeding it back into itself while running oscillators through it. Don't sell your TM1 there are way more options with it than the R.

Cool...So you run the audio output back into the audio input and use the oscillator as the carrier freq for the ring mod?
boydpost
thermionicjunky wrote:
Make sure that your input signals have discontinuities. Bring the pulser to self-oscillation, then back off. Bring up the input level until the input signal and pulses are reasonably balanced. Use the VCA to alter this balance. I like fairly high-pitched signals because the pulser will produce divisions at many settings.

Thanks for the advice...I think you nailed it when you talk about the input level signal being critical. I think one of the issues I'm having is that the signal from my modular is too hot for the input and I have to keep the level backed off in order to make it do anything remotely interesting. I'm gonna pick up a Pittsburgh InOut soon for just this sort of thing.

The other issue I'm having is a distinct lack of bass...whenever it's engaged it s acting like a high-pass
Kent
boydpost wrote:

Thanks for the advice...I think you nailed it when you talk about the input level signal being critical. I think one of the issues I'm having is that the signal from my modular is too hot for the input and I have to keep the level backed off in order to make it do anything remotely interesting.

Yes, yes, yes, yes & yes. Input levels are critical with Metasonix gear. This is one of the reason that I find the pairing of Metasonix gear with Buchla to be so rewarding. The audio levels are nominally lower in the Buchla world whilst the CVs can get quite hot. This is a great pairing.

I have come to believe that the majority of Metasonix YouTube demos sound so distorted and like a kid on a sugar high due to NEW owners demonstrating the gear and not having arrived at the point of discovering that lower input levels reap great rewards.
mecanikill
Kent wrote:
boydpost wrote:

Thanks for the advice...I think you nailed it when you talk about the input level signal being critical. I think one of the issues I'm having is that the signal from my modular is too hot for the input and I have to keep the level backed off in order to make it do anything remotely interesting.

Yes, yes, yes, yes & yes. Input levels are critical with Metasonix gear. This is one of the reason that I find the pairing of Metasonix gear with Buchla to be so rewarding. The audio levels are nominally lower in the Buchla world whilst the CVs can get quite hot. This is a great pairing.

I have come to believe that the majority of Metasonix YouTube demos sound so distorted and like a kid on a sugar high due to NEW owners demonstrating the gear and not having arrived at the point of discovering that lower input levels reap great rewards.

Bingo! +1 watch those levels and yes feedback that TM1!
boydpost
Awesome, I will try feeding it back on itself.

Anyone getting good bass out of their TM-1? As I said before, mine sounds like it has a high-pass filter built in!
mildheadwound
I find simply feeding it ghost cables, like not receiving signals, can really alter the sound. Stick a couple of jack adapters into the inputs. (Hahaha we'll, not the audio jacks, but it makes a helluva sound without a signal input). The thing is totally agro but can really beef up a signal. I've been aligning the frequency of the oscillator to the frequency of the noise from the stability, and then shoving in a tuned external oscillator to that mess. It's part of the chain in to my eurorack, because even when it's off, I find it adds some tubey warmth, and makes a great oscillator on its own.
Bassmann
mildheadwound wrote:
I find simply feeding it ghost cables, like not receiving signals, can really alter the sound. Stick a couple of jack adapters into the inputs. (Hahaha we'll, not the audio jacks, but it makes a helluva sound without a signal input). The thing is totally agro but can really beef up a signal. I've been aligning the frequency of the oscillator to the frequency of the noise from the stability, and then shoving in a tuned external oscillator to that mess. It's part of the chain in to my eurorack, because even when it's off, I find it adds some tubey warmth, and makes a great oscillator on its own.

you're absolutly right, this unit is a total beast. I've been messing around with mine most of the day and hadn't tried the ghost cable stuff you mentioned but it truly adds to the experience.
boydpost
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past! (It's alive!)
I have to be honest, I haven't used mine in a few years simply because I can't really integrate it easily into my rig...just not really sure how it fits in both sonically and process wise. I do like the crazy behavior it exhibits when you take it right to the edge of chaos...and then dial it back just a touch.

That said, I still haven't ever gotten good bass response out of it. Not it's thing I guess. Probably should sell it so that someone can enjoy it.
Bassmann
Yes this unit seems to be most comfortable with signals containing serious amounts of transients. I like it on drums (primarily hats and snares/claps etc. not sp much kicks) and weird leads, not a great fan of the things it does to bass-sounds either. I have the TM-2 as well and it does a much better job with bass but I'd still prefer it on something a little higher frequency-wise. Maybe they'd be good for some ol'skool FM-bass sounds? smile
HypatiasAngst
I learned from Eric once to use it as a VCA to gate the assblaster. Works wel running VCA cv off the blaster.

Honestly when I started using it as a VCA my mind fell apart.

But yes I +1 the find self oscillation then back off slightly comments.

It works great for voice processing if you can boost it enough (I use contact mics)

I'll throw it in my feed back loop soon! This is an awesome idea.

It's also great on guitar. OH. And run it through delay and verb.
Mosiej
Missing my TM-1 . . . the VCA CV is soooo key.. Thats a + over the eurorack modules. Although I am now interested in the new metasonix single tube VCA
FatRocky
i have one TM1 and want to trade it for a TM6,,,
theantiroman
has anyone gotten a good rig for using it with guitar live. so far I've been doing a lot of music with it that relies on open droning sounds, so its fine whining off in the foreground, but i'm trying to figure out a way to shut off the signal when I'm not playing.

Im guessing guitar to TM1 to filter to VCA, with the guitar generating an envelope to ope the VCA (the manual rec) woud work, but I don't have any of that at this point.

Just metasonix and a cocoquantus these days.
HypatiasAngst
theantiroman wrote:
has anyone gotten a good rig for using it with guitar live. so far I've been doing a lot of music with it that relies on open droning sounds, so its fine whining off in the foreground, but i'm trying to figure out a way to shut off the signal when I'm not playing.

Im guessing guitar to TM1 to filter to VCA, with the guitar generating an envelope to ope the VCA (the manual rec) woud work, but I don't have any of that at this point.

Just metasonix and a cocoquantus these days.

I currently run my tm-5 to the tm-1. The tm-5 has that envelope follower (as does the KV100).

I'm currently on my phone. So this will suffice.

https://soundcloud.com/anatoliasfinest/holistic-medecine
theantiroman
So it helps to cut off the TM1 when you arent playing? Sorry to be thick in understanding. That track sounds great too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1