MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

More Vinyl: Jazz, Fusion, Rock, Prog Rock, Metal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author More Vinyl: Jazz, Fusion, Rock, Prog Rock, Metal
Kwote
Last couple runs of vinyl:

Gary Moore,
ELP,
Dire Straits,
Nick Mason,
Queensryche,
Larry Coryell,
Al Di Meola,
Return To Forever,
Wayne Shorter,
Weather Report,
Yngwie Malmsteen,
John McLaughlin,
John Abercrombie,
Jack DeJohnette,
Quincy Jones,
Rick Wakeman,
McCoy Tyner

some of these I found more than one release and some I found at least 3 or more.

Cheapest $1.95 most expensive $5.95

but generally no more than $3.95
antennafarm
how's that jack dejohnette?

i've only heard his work with miles davis but looooooove him.
johnnymad
antennafarm wrote:

you should check out the keith jarrett trio then.
Kwote
antennafarm wrote:

One of the best albums I've heard.
MindMachine
Damn Kwote - that vinyl is my my usual heavy play list! Every single one... (exept how did Dire Straits make it?) and the price is right at les sthan $ 10.00 for any ECM pressing.
MindMachine
My latest were - Temptations - Puzzle People. I t was actually
the third album that I ever owned as a youngster. Heavy
stuff!.
Kwote
I love Dire Straits. They conjure up some real images for me. Mostly of dark smoky nightclubs and flying through the Ol West on a wild horse.
Kwote
Also, my ECM collection is becoming insane. So many albums people just had to get rid of.. err I mean allow me to own! 8_)
MindMachine
Kwote - who/what are some of your favorite ECM recordings/artists?
I have big time with Terje Rypdal, Miroslav Vituous, Jan Garabek,
Nana Vasconcelos, Ralph Towner, Steve Reich, etc.

ECM - great recordings in a similar vein and GREAT
pressings in most cases.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
So, I'm reviving this necrothread, because I did a search for Terje Rypdal, and found him mentioned in this thread. I wanted to discuss him a little bit.

After hearing about Terje Rypdal for years, a while ago I downloaded an album of his called Odyssey. Recently I put this album back on my MP3 player and today I gave some of it a listen.

First impressions: As far as I know, an "odyssey" is an epic journey. However, there is nothing epic about the music on this album, and it goes exactly nowhere, so the title seems oddly misapplied.

The music on this album sounds to me like semi-competent noodling, the sort of stuff that a semi-skilled prog-rock enthusiast might play when really really stoned, and would never bother to actually record. There is little on the album that I would dignify with the terms "melody" or "harmony" or even "rhythm". Just lots of long single electric guitar notes over vague static chords that don't seem to form progressions.

Given the exceptionally high quality of other music on the ECM label, I'm finding it hard to believe that this guy records on that label.

What am I missing here? Are there actually "good" Terje Rypdal albums that I should check out? Is this one known for being particularly bad or something?
neandrewthal
Read it and weep, the highest rated one:

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/terje-rypdal

Maybe the lowest rated will be your fav hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1