MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
wetterberg
that is dope, son!
the bad producer
that looks tricky DGTom nanners , did the pull-up resistor work?

Charlie
DGTom
Yeah, exactally the same set-up on the Micros Gate In as on the Binary Zones Gate(Rst) - so after I got the latter to work as per BananaPlugs posts I did the same thing on the Micro, 220K from the socket to the switch pad on the PCB. The panel switch selects between the internal pulse or the socket for the Rate CV, which is awesome! Kinda thinking of putting a Centre Off in there so you can toggle between skewed waveshape / normal / CV'd without touching the pot.

I'm buzzing now the headache has worn off, that was easily the hardest one of the lot, the last few modules should be a breeze.

Love your blog Charlie, gave me an idea for converting the Quad Mix VCA - bring the internal Bias Voltage out to a socket = Global Volume control / multi-purpose CV source SlayerBadger!

Almost run of of nanners now! Gotta email Bugs grin
parasitk
So as posted elsewhere, I bananafied all of my Frac modules except my two Wiards. I'm leaving the Borg alone, because I still might sell it, depending on how I feel about the 292c clones I'm building. The Noise Ring just kind of scares me – I definitely need to talk to someone who's done this (Tom Bugs was suggested in another thread).

Binary Zone and Quad VCA are half finished because I don't have any switches here at the moment, nor 220K resistors. I also somehow killed the 4204 on the BZ. So I have a Mouser order to place tomorrow.

N00b questions:

Switch terminology still confuses me – what kind of switch should I be looking for?

The 220K "pullup" resistor is just a standard 220K resistor, right? "Pullup" is just describing what it's doing?

And finally a pic:

I also have some "in progress" pics here: http://twitpic.com/photos/parasitk

BananaPlug
Quote:
The 220K "pullup" resistor is just a standard 220K resistor, right? "Pullup" is just describing what it's doing?
Yup, pulling up the voltage.
panda30y
parasitk wrote:

Switch terminology still confuses me – what kind of switch should I be looking for?
]

I believe you would want a spdt with a On-none-On configuration.
BugBrand
panda30y wrote:
parasitk wrote:

]

I believe you would want a spdt with a On-none-On configuration.

Which may also be referred to as SPDT C/O --- that means Single Pole (one switch element) Double Throw (can go two ways) Centre Off (has a central position where no connection is made)
parasitk
Thanks guys, I'll be ordering stuff today! applause
johnnymad
thumbs up nice work, Chris!
rezzn8r
parasitk wrote:
I'm leaving the Borg alone, because I still might sell it, depending on how I feel about the 292c clones I'm building.

here's to success with the 929 Chugging Beers
perhaps you'll think of me if selling the borg help
DGTom
parasitk wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll be ordering stuff today! applause

+1 on the centre off toggles, I'm thinking I will swap out the standard ones I have in the MicroLFO & BZ right now, having an off position, especially with the BZ, is crazy usefull.

I really like the Modcan A scheme on the Fracs grin

I'm gonna do the QMVCA this weekend, I'll let you know how the Bias Out goes SlayerBadger!
BugBrand
parasitk wrote:
.. The Noise Ring just kind of scares me – I definitely need to talk to someone who's done this (Tom Bugs was suggested in another thread)...

It was actually relatively easy (as was the Borg) - I think Indexofmetals had a JAG too which I said NO to due to board mounted jacks (it could be done but would have been tricky and I didn't have the time).

Here's the pic I sent IoM after mod:

Jacks simply replaced with bananas (little bit of hole size increasement) and two sub-mini switches added for the normalization.

Sub-mini switches, if I remember right, were the only ones that'd fit without obscuring lots of the lettering.
parasitk
Thanks for the info and pic! You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the back of the module would you? oops
BananaPlug
Bugs, when replacing normals like Ext Rate with switches I connect the jack to one side of a spdt switch, the wire feeding the circuit to the middle and the alternate source to the other side. That way when Ext Rate is switched to use the signal from Aux out, it's also disconnected from the jack so you don't have the possible problem of shorting two outputs together.

Maybe your tiny switches are spst though.
parasitk
My Binary Zone is fixed! Thanks to BananaPlug and DGTom for all the tips and help.

I punched a new hole for the switch, and left the jack where it was. I replaced the 4024 chip and all functions as expected. Did the pullup resistor thing, but I haven't tested it yet. I never really use that jack anyway oops

Next to finish: The QuadVCA and tackle that Noise Ring!
mono-poly
Ask Maleko how to mod the noisering with an external clok input!
DGTom
parasitk wrote:
My Binary Zone is fixed! Thanks to BananaPlug and DGTom for all the tips and help.

I punched a new hole for the switch, and left the jack where it was. I replaced the 4024 chip and all functions as expected. Did the pullup resistor thing, but I haven't tested it yet. I never really use that jack anyway oops

Next to finish: The QuadVCA and tackle that Noise Ring!

w00t Great news man!! I am still so perplexed by how that IC died, so fucking odd! Oh well, I'm glad it was that & not something harder to fix.

PS; That Gate(RST) input is begging to be hooked up to your logipacs flip-flops; get some low freq. clocks popping in there thumbs up
parasitk
DGTom wrote:
PS; That Gate(RST) input is begging to be hooked up to your logipacs flip-flops; get some low freq. clocks popping in there thumbs up

Well Gate(RST) works! I didn't use the flip-flops though, just the EXOR gate.

http://virb.com/parasitk/audio/454503

DGTom
Well, here is my mutated Quad Mix VCA...

I spent alotta time trying to figure out how to do it without either missing out functions or adding half a dozen switches... made all the more diffucult due to not having the schematic.

Finally I figured out a way to not only maintain all the main features, but, also added some nice ones along the way... it is, however, abit of a wierd module now.

Patch programmable back to normal operation; the red socket is the output of the Bias sub-cct. this is normalled to the CV ins as stock, so with no CV input the VCAs are held open, now I have a cool 0 - 13V voltage source.

The 'off-grid' yellow socket inbetween A & B is an input into the ABC mixer, this was normalled to the output of D, so I can patch D out (green above the red) back into here for normal operation, or, inject another VCA or Mixer or whatever from elsewhere; I really like this because this signal doesn't go into the VCAs at all & when the module is patched how I usually use it ABC Out -> D In -> D Out -> Speakers I can do some gnarly distortion tricks with the Bias out, basically allowing for smooth cross-fading between clean & dirty with the Bias knob.

For some people this would be overly clunky, with 4 patchcords chained from Bias to A, B, C, D CV ins it is a little, but the thing is you realy hardly ever need to do that & all the extra options that 'opening' up the behind the scenes functionality bring make it well worth it for me.
parasitk
Cool! Do you have a pic of the guts?
DGTom
Edit;

Here we go:

... this is the most I've altered a module during bananafication; I spent ages on it last night & nothing exploded which is good Dead Banana

The heatshrink bit on the left is a 100K resistor I put in-line with the summing input... just in case... it actually drops the gain a fair bit, might toy with that a little more, its kind of cool at the moment as you can drive channel D really hard & this knocks it down to something more resonable... but listening back to the initial patch I had yesterday with a sine wave injected straight in hmmm.....

Putting the klangwerk between D Out & the ABC mix-buss is awesome SlayerBadger!
DGTom
&...

Expanded Frequency Divider. Seperate, buffered outputs for 8 / 16 / 32 / 64 + the output of the switch & the audio output!

SlayerBadger!

I cut a trace & added an extra 2K2 resistor in order to use the buffer which was used to provide the 2nd output.

Clock-a-thon! w00t
tragedybysyntax
Christ, that sequence was neat as shit. Love how those osc's sound... *sigh*

Hey guys, this pic is elsewhere on muff's but i thought it should be seen in here since it's you guys that made me go bananas! lol. That MOTM filter is coming out as soon as I get the Binary Zone in the mail and make a panel for it.

parasitk
I finished my QVCA today, using the tricks DGTom listed above.

I didn't put a resistor before the D/Mix input (floating grey jack above the D output and below the 75/100 switch) because it never had one to start... but I dunno, maybe I should? seriously, i just don't get it

My only other thing is I put the Bias out jack (yellow out above the word BIAS) a touch too close to the PCB and the washer is close to to two solder points. It's kinda stressing me out. I put a piece of tape there, but I might pull it back out and move it over a touch for my peace of mind.

Phineous
nanners

bump for a great thred

l8r

P
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4