MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Banana Frac: The Definitive Guide
Atticus
Phineous wrote:
nanners

bump for a great thred

l8r

P

Yes! Great pics in here.

Has anyone any thoughts on bananafying (?) the MOTM modules, is it possible? I've never seen the backs of any but I suppose it'd be difficult.
BananaPlug
Quote:
Has anyone any thoughts on bananafying (?) the MOTM modules, is it possible?

Anything's possible I suppose. If you search for it you can find my post about a bananafied MOTM 440 low pass in frac format. It was a very tight squeeze but possible.
adamf
Atticus wrote:
Phineous wrote:
nanners

bump for a great thred

l8r

P

Yes! Great pics in here.

Has anyone any thoughts on bananafying (?) the MOTM modules, is it possible? I've never seen the backs of any but I suppose it'd be difficult.

Just checked my ADSR. The jacks are mounted on a separate PCB which has a ribbon cable running back to the main PCB. Shouldn't be too hard to either modify the ribbon cable for direct connection to bannanas or possibley desolder the jacks from the PCB and add wire links from the old jack PCB to the new bananas. If I ever do it, I'll repost with the result.
Atticus
adamf wrote:
Atticus wrote:
Phineous wrote:
nanners

bump for a great thred

l8r

P

Yes! Great pics in here.

Just checked my ADSR. The jacks are mounted on a separate PCB which has a ribbon cable running back to the main PCB. Shouldn't be too hard to either modify the ribbon cable for direct connection to bannanas or possibley desolder the jacks from the PCB and add wire links from the old jack PCB to the new bananas. If I ever do it, I'll repost with the result.

Sounds promising. Thanks. Please do post pics if you go for it.
Ekofisk
Look what I just did!

Have yet to finish the BZ, but I think I'll do the switch-thing that others have done.
It really is amazingly ease to do this. (Haven't tried them yet, but my multimeter indicates connection on all counts, I am assuming they work)

Not in the picture: VCO and MiniWave. Getting done today.
parasitk
Nice! Definitely add a switch with center-off for the Binary Zone's clock input. And do the pullup resistor trick on the RST input (it's explained somewhere around here...) w00t
Ekofisk
Apart from the I/O, this is last night and tonight. Not too shabby!

And this is the new DAD, built from kit. Actually, it turned into something of a hatchet job, but all fun.
I had to cut one of the banana bushings in half, so the daughterboard is actually not at a right angle to the other board. This made it impossible to use both mounting brackets. Ahh. We'll see how well it all works tomorrow!

DGTom
"one of us one of us"

good work man!

sometimes you need to do wierd things to get it to work, in the case of the DAD I would've substituted the switches for some panel mount toggles & put some spacers in to hold the daughter board away from the panel, may or may not work.

One thing with board mounted parts like that slide switch, if you need to mount them in funny places you can use stripboard & right angle headers etc. to get them off the PCB.

The SPDT C/O on the BZ is well worth it, in fact I'd say even minijackers should do it! Being able to switch the BZ off is great, especially as it kills the Clock Outs so everything down stream can be switched off. Great fun for jamming SlayerBadger!
Ekofisk
Yes, good call on those switches on the DAD. I think I'll give that a try.

And the BZ, of course.
Ekofisk
And it all fucking works!

I discovered a wrongly polarized diode on the I/O just before switching it on. Works like a charm!

Since I do all this DIY stuff at home, and have no real access to the rest of my studio, my patching with these modules is a little limited, but nonetheless, everyone should do this. I don't really have a problem with minijacks, but bananas are WAY cooler.
Ekofisk
Sorry to be hijacking the thread, but as it's all banana relevant, I hope it's ok.

I just got a couple of SPDT/CO switches for my BZ.
For some reason, I just can't seem to "get" how to wire it up.

Sorry, as I know the BZ has been discussed to death in this very thread, but the actual wiring still escapes me.

The switch has three lugs. Which go where?
DGTom
In the case of the BZ its going to use a SPDT as a "2 in, 1 out"

You have 3 wires to connect to it. 1 from the banana & 2 from pads on the board. The clock input pad is connected to the middle lug of the switch & the other 2 go on either side, hope that makes sense hmmm.....
Ekofisk
My new DIY self esteem boost kicked in today, and I tackled the 3P.

Stripping away the daughterboard and wiring up those inputs!

New members to the team, KW and MP, meeting up with the newly finished BZ.
(note the remains of the minijack 3p laying at their feet!)

Ekofisk
Probably not that exciting to anyone, as these are available in banana anyway, but this what I did last night (minus the DAD).

Hope I'll be able to replace those military greens with something a bit more... bug-friendly, soon.
BugBrand
You machine!

Wunderbar!
(good to see the bugmodules taken back to their proper ways!)
DGTom
lol

What an odd journey those have taken!

Love the pile of discarded Blacet minijacks in the corner of the pic! applause
alesauskas
This thread is great info for a newbie, thanks for the sticky!
otoskope
Just to wake up this thread a little...I've been successfully bananafying (bananifying?) the following modules the last few days (all frac):

Bananalogue VCS
Encore Freq Shifter
2xPlague Bearer
Blacet VCO
Blacet Freq Divider (old version)
Oakley RM-4014 Ringmod
Metalbox/CGS Dual Real Ring Mod (in rack ear)
Metalbox/CGS ASR (in rack ear)

If someone's interested, I could post pictures and some comments regarding encountered peculiarities (but don't have the time today).

/Palle
zerosum
Quote:
I've been successfully bananafying (bananifying?)

hihi

Quote:
If someone's interested, I could post pictures and some comments regarding encountered peculiarities (but don't have the time today).

Definitely post them thumbs up

I'm too unmotivated to do any of these mods myself at the moment,
but I still want to see someone else do it so I can pretend like I will
motivate myself enough to do it someday. hihi lol
reignbear
anyone had any experience with banana-fying the frac frequesnsteiner? i don't have one, but might have a chance to pick one up to play with the BugBrand!
BananaPlug
I've had one of these for a while. I gather it was not a wildly popular module but I like it.

It just needed some compression! applause
nanners Now what do you think?
Cat-A-Tonic
^ You read my mind in regards to panel-width.

Nice solution for the effect type legending. thumbs up

Does it really sound that nice?
I was kind of turned off by the digital multi-effects concept,
but I understand putting them in earlier parts of a patch
might be the context that can make this cool.
BananaPlug
There are cheesier digital effects out there. It does have some of the hallmarks of a dinky little digi unit but it's useful. The fact that it has a clip LED and level controls for in and out makes the limited headroom very easy to live with. The 2 echo modes and the reverb are what I use the most. I have this and a spring reverb in my portable and they complement each other well. The 3030's reverb has a very neutral color to it and a touch of graininess. Real different from the spring. With each reverb on a different patch there's nice separation and sometimes I use them together on the same patch. The max echo delay time seems a tad longer than the 1 sec it's supposed to be. Modulating that rate produces little ticks but the other CVs work pretty cleanly. For live hands-on playing I like that I can adjust an effect, reverb and level all in one place.
synthcube
anyone know the precise diameters for panel holes for the standard 3.5mm jacks vs the bananas? I know the 3.5mm holes can be reamed out pretty easy, but curious about what the actual delta is
Ted2
Contemplating removing all of my Blacet panels and replacing them with some home-made ones, with banana jacks. A little bit terrified to do so though, I am very inexperienced with DIY.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4