MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Retitled: we don't need no stinking fence.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Retitled: we don't need no stinking fence.
revmutt
Every time I think that I'm going to sell or trade my extra 300 modules I start to get cold feet. Coming in here doesn't help either.

I put my stuff up in the buy and sell thinking that either a really cool trade or local cash might do it but when you refuse to break up the set or want a local deal it gets to be a harder sell.

I just don't know whether I'll ever build that third row, nor do I know if I need it.

Ugh!
construct09
If you don,t need to sell em'... dont
You don,t need me to tell you a couple of modules are now unavailable seriously, i just don't get it
slow_riot
plus I think these modules keep their value come rain or shine, and it's not always possible to get hold of them.

best music system on the planet! (for me anyways)

It's easy to comment as an outsider though... I'm forever changing my mind about stuff like this. Expensive habit!
revmutt
I love my Wiard and there is no doubt I will be following what Grant continues to do. I wont be selling my system, that's a non issue. Does my system need to have more envelators and wogglebugs, I don't know.
thesnow
well I was able to buy a used woggle for a terrific price, way below sale cost and I've read about others buying even omni filters second hand for the same type of great deal. I think when 300 users turned euro or serge or buchla or whatever decide to sell their 300 modules they know that they're not gonna need to hang on to them to use them. so they sell them for a more than fair price. I bought the woggle off a euro user. if you're not gonna add that additional row I can definitely see how selling the spares can make sense. 3 rows of Wiard 300 holy cow! we're not worthy
chamomileshark
If you've already got 2 rows (I'm assuming 12 modules) then I guess it's a matter of how many times you think "I need another envelator"?
revmutt
chamomileshark wrote:
If you've already got 2 rows (I'm assuming 12 modules) then I guess it's a matter of how many times you think "I need another envelator"?

I doubled up on certain modules and didn't on others in my system so the 12 I have works for me and I don't really think beyond that because let's face it 12 300 modules is really deep.

Could I easily choose that 3rd tier based on my needs, yes. Does it "need" to happen, of course not.

If I sold it would probably go into my video synth. Since I haven't had any local offers it may be moot.
laserpalace
Twelve 300 series modules sounds fantastic to me. I'm aiming for a modest 7, obtained 4 and have already found my system to be more than comprehensive. Decided to take a small break to start up a video synth as well. I would definitely say an extra envelator might come in handy here or there, but quad wogglebugs might be overboard... who knows though, I can already think of numerous reasons why you would want that many.

I realize none of this is exactly helpful, but if I were you I would probably hang on to them. At the very least rack them up and try to think of scenarios in which you would want/need those extra modules.
slow_riot
laserpalace wrote:
Twelve 300 series modules sounds fantastic to me. I'm aiming for a modest 7, obtained 4 and have already found my system to be more than comprehensive. Decided to take a small break to start up a video synth as well. I would definitely say an extra envelator might come in handy here or there, but quad wogglebugs might be overboard... who knows though, I can already think of numerous reasons why you would want that many.

I realize none of this is exactly helpful, but if I were you I would probably hang on to them. At the very least rack them up and try to think of scenarios in which you would want/need those extra modules.

I've got 2 dual Woggle Bugs in a 12 module system, but I can't think of a good reason why anyone else might want to!
laserpalace
slow_riot
hihi I can already see the benefit of my system x2! Thankfully I'm going to try to cap it at 7... we'll see if that actually happens though.
revmutt
Since the chances of my getting any offer that would make me budge, I'm cool with the idea of at some point expanding. Since the instrument is so open ended I could easily see not actually adding a third row for a few years but buying the modules as I can.

I also thought about having the wogglebug modded out even if I don't know what that would even mean.

There are so many worse positions to be in. As a young musician I worked with so little and the luxury that came later has always kind of blown me away. I can't imagine what kind of perverse stuff I would be getting into if I actually had a "good" income.
slow_riot
laserpalace wrote:
slow_riot
hihi I can already see the benefit of my system x2! Thankfully I'm going to try to cap it at 7... we'll see if that actually happens though.

I find there are quite a few ways to use it all, it's nice to have the stepped output dedicated to a particular timing signal like envelator or LFO that can feed it's clock back into the woggle which can tie up the stepped output.

The Woggle CV is the most expressive vibrato known to mankind, even if it will take me a lifetime to even begin to tame it.

With mixing like the Mixolator or a Hinton SwitchMix you can incorperate the random more subtly into a patch. Maybe I'm just justifying the reason why I'm stupid enough to have more random sources than controllable ones!

@ Revmutt, in a way I find modular to be quite minimal. For me it imposes more restrictions than software. Although I seem to spend more time than is healthy thinking about what to add or subtract... often I find I get the most useful results from staying within a fixed system but that doesn't seem to stop me procrastinating on BST etc.
revmutt
slow_riot wrote:

@ Revmutt, in a way I find modular to be quite minimal. For me it imposes more restrictions than software. Although I seem to spend more time than is healthy thinking about what to add or subtract... often I find I get the most useful results from staying within a fixed system but that doesn't seem to stop me procrastinating on BST etc.

I kind of stay away from the BST section at this point because between being happy with what I use and having limited space it's just easier. Also, I try to put limited sources into where I'm working most.
revmutt
Just an update.

I had decided I just didn't want to sell and then as luck would have it while moving my storage space the box went into the abyss. It may be years before I see those modules, but hell I'll be glad when I do.
laserpalace
revmutt
Wiard 300 in storage!? You my friend are king!
revmutt
laserpalace wrote:
revmutt
Wiard 300 in storage!? You my friend are king!

Just two modules. a frame and two of the original power supplies.
-I am an idiot.
laserpalace
revmutt
KING! screaming goo yo hihi
slow_riot
at least they're safe from the curse of the mind! (for now)

I almost lost a 310a New Controller to that wretched thing.
revmutt
slow_riot wrote:
at least they're safe from the curse of the mind! (for now)

I almost lost a 310a New Controller to that wretched thing.

My original plan was to have a the double rowed system that I have and next to it a third row of 300 that basically doubled anything that I didn't have two of, two rows of 1200 and then a "new controller".... almost made it. Might at some point.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1