MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for good analogue polysynth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Looking for good analogue polysynth.
transferpoint
Im looking for an analogue keyboard that creates great pads. Something that's currently in production, this excludes the Oberheim matrix 12 and expander.

So far I've listened to demos of the Andromeda and DSI Prophet 08.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
MrDys
Jomox SunSyn?

(Obligatory Youtube Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-hqEiIjX4)
insomniyack
DSI Tetra...brand new analog poly with sequencer for under $800 thumbs up
MicroFi
I was going to say Oberheim Xpander, but then I read your post d'oh!
If you're looking for something new, I'd try a DSI Poly-Evolver or a Prophet 08.

Anyone tried a Jomox SunSyn in person? I really love the sounds I've heard from the demo's, but not a lot of people seem to have one? Plus I've heard there are some problems with the firmware? Oh well ...
science
I've had a chance to play a SunSyn a few times. It's a great synth.

I tried looking for one for a few months earlier this year, but got sick of people trying to ask for ~$5k, and gave up.

As for the firmware, I know they were on the verge of releasing a new update to fix most of the bugs a while ago.
LDT
SunSyn is not in production afaik.

I like the sound of the P8, but oh noes, don´t get me started on those pesky encoders and the general support from DSI. I´ll take a JP8 any day. It has not been in production for a long long time, but I just love the feeling of not having to hope for that much needed OS update that never will arrive. 8_)

The important question is: Do you like to interact, to play with and ultimately "become one" with your polysynth? Or is the goal to be able to program and store a bunch of fabulous sounds? A synth like P8 is good at the latter, not so much the former. Why? Try something *really* simple and everyday-like: Grab the cutoff knob and play it rhytmicly to the music like a wow-pedal thing. FAIL.
The encoders work for programming not for playing. I will try resisting any more DSI-bashing for now, but my point is that if you are just in it for the sound, perhaps it does not even have to be analog or hardware (check out the Blofeld BTW). If you are in it for the live, intuitive, direct interaction, don´t go for something that *sort of* does the job.

Just my 2 øre.
bf
Is the andromeda still in production? Or are they still making them but have no desire to make any OS updates under Numark now? I can't remember exactly what the scuttlebutt is on that front. Have two sunsyns actually, both of which will be on their way to Germany for the 2.0 upgrade as soon as a flight case arrives. Very versatile, has its own character, is not currently in production (and from talking with Jurgen will never be again), is nearly bug free at this point and should be completely following the upgrade. That being said, I didn't buy the second because I needed 16 voices. I'll let you infer your own meaning from that. Despite the frustrations they have provided, it is a hell of an instrument.

What kind of budget are you looking at? As far as analog polys in production, I can recommend Studio Electronics Omega or Code from experience, I have not played the P8 (btw they are releasing a version with pots rather than encoders from what I understand) but judging by my poly evolvers I would say that the P8 is worth looking into, If you are not stuck to the analog bit you may want to give John Bowen's Solaris a look (coming out later this year, good demo videos on the website to give an idea on functionality) which looks to have enormous potential in the pads department. I don't have personal experience with any other poly analogs still in production.
NV
I have to agree with LDT concerning the DSI instruments. They are solid programming instruments but really aren't "performing" instruments in my own opinion. LDT's example is a good one - try grabbing a knob and playing it rhythmically or cranking it quickly and that statement should make much more sense. I know the P08 has a non-endless-encoder pot version now which in theory should solve this problem but I've never used one with this upgrade installed. I try my best not to bash on DSI as I think the more synth manufacturers out there the better, but the playing interfaces have just always left me disappointed rather than inspired. In that regard, if you are just looking for a programming synth and not a performance synth you may want to look into the new Tetra - it's supposedly the same engine as the P08, just cut down to 4 voices and a menu system.

The Andromeda seems to be a love-hate sort of synth. Some adore it, others find it boring/sterile/whatever other terms, so it would probably be a good idea to try to get a hold of one in person and trying it out before considering an investment.

You also may want to strongly consider the Omega series from Studio Electronics. You can specify the amount of polyphony you would like so if an 8-voice analogue is more than you need you can get the 6 or 4 voice for significantly less. You can also add extra filters and features or do all sorts of weird custom colors and graphics if that's your thing, but more importantly I've heard nothing but praise for the sound and interface.
science
bf wrote:
Is the andromeda still in production? Or are they still making them but have no desire to make any OS updates under Numark now?

It's in production again, but the OS is still stuck at the last pre-Numark revision, which is full of bugs and really frustrating to work with at times. The synth commonly locks up completely... and sometimes locks up upon loading certain patches (and if this happens, and you try to start it again, you have to hold down another patch selection while it boots, or else it will lock up again by auto-loading that patch).

It's a powerful, nice sounding, flexible synth that's fun to work with with so much broken out to the front panel, but I still find myself cursing it at times.
jonkull
NV wrote:
The Andromeda seems to be a love-hate sort of synth. Some adore it, others find it boring/sterile/whatever other terms, so it would probably be a good idea to try to get a hold of one in person and trying it out before considering an investment.

The problem with the Andromeda is that the presets suck so it makes a bad first impression on people and a bad lasting impression on people that don't spend enough time with it to program their own sounds. A lot of people also get disappointed that it doesn't sound like vintage synth model 'X'. If you can get past the presets, the fact that it doesn't sound like an Obie, Juno, P5, etc. and spend some time learning to program it it's a really great synth. Especially for pads, spacey sounds and ambient type stuff. It's also very modular-like as far as the mod routings go.

As far as it sounding boring or sterile there are three things that can fix that. Don't use presets, don't use the internal effects and switch off the built-in tuning. The Andromeda has background tuning and temperature tuning. Having both of them turned on keeps the synth in tune and also makes it sound sterile. Turning off background tuning (but keeping temperature tuning on) gives the VCOs a little drift and makes it sound 'better'. Though your milage may vary...

The OS does have some bugs but I haven't had any lock-ups or any other problems like that with mine. It seems like some people do..some people don't. Lock-ups caused by patches usually happen when the patch is corrupt but if you write over the bad patch it's not an issue.
science
I'll never understand how anyone who considers themselves an analogue synthesis nut could let presets determine whether or not they like a synth.

PRESETS AREN'T THE FUCKING POINT. THAT'S WHAT ROMPLERS ARE FOR.

The first thing I typically do when I receive a new synth is delete the presets, to force myself to create patches and really learn whether or not the synth is for me.
drewtoothpaste
When I first get a synth, I like running through the presets, just to see what they sound like. Then I go thru the ones I don't like, and mess around with 'em since usually they already have envelopes and mod routings set up and so on.

I do confess to turning off the effects and re-saving every single patch without them (sorry Waldorf I don't need a heavy flanger on every single one of my Euro-Trance arpeggiations.)
jonkull
science wrote:
I'll never understand how anyone who considers themselves an analogue synthesis nut could let presets determine whether or not they like a synth.

PRESETS AREN'T THE FUCKING POINT. THAT'S WHAT ROMPLERS ARE FOR.

The first thing I typically do when I receive a new synth is delete the presets, to force myself to create patches and really learn whether or not the synth is for me.

I agree but there are a lot of people out there who when in a shop with a limited amount of time in front of a synth they've never used before will most likely surf the presets before moving on to the next synth on the rack. In that case the A6 makes a bad first impression. It's the kind of synth you need to spend time with. I love mine.
antennafarm
jonkull wrote:

I agree but there are a lot of people out there who when in a shop with a limited amount of time in front of a synth they've never used before will most likely surf the presets before moving on to the next synth on the rack. In that case the A6 makes a bad first impression. It's the kind of synth you need to spend time with. I love mine.

this is what i think is great about the internet: research. you can find posts on forums, mailing lists, etc that say "don't pay attention to the presets" (not to mention sound examples that people put up of their own patches that kick ass) and, when you have a little extra time, go back and play with the synth in question. i would think that, when making such a heavy decision (the a6 costs what, $3k?) that there'd be more than just "flip through the presets." they probably SHOULD just go get the fancy rompler if that's what defines their purchasing decisions.
transferpoint
bf wrote:

What kind of budget are you looking at? As far as analog polys in production, I can recommend Studio Electronics Omega or Code from experience

I listened to some demos of this beast today, wow. Its a little out of my price range but I may just save for it. Sounds beautiful.

I am really looking to make pads.

I do want an analogue poly, I am not an analogue snob I have a virus TI and a neko, but I just got my moog voyager and after playing it for a 3 weeks... analogue is where I want to be.
ai
The pad on this piece is from a Frac Modular with Blacet VCOs, EGs, and VCAs, a Wiard Boogie Filter, and an Encore Expressionist...six voices

http://alexiles.com/music/bicycleday/02_Time_Machines.mp3

While we were recording, the pad sounded like a freight train, beautiful! ...an effect that kinda diminished as it was moved into it's proper place in the piece, but it's still there if you listen for it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1