EMS Synthi waiting list

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

fluxivity
Common Wiggler

Post by fluxivity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:38 am

SO... I've been organizing the shop, sorta, and I'm looking at the pocket in the binder that has the synthi manual. This item was on the top of the stack. Please mark well the date: '96, and the timeframe projection: 6-8 weeks. Fortunately I found one instead of waiting. Otherwise my cat and subsequent family would have been denied a great enjoyment.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B- ... y=CNHx0PoF

I certainly wish Robin the best in his endeavor and don't doubt that a remanufactured synthi will emerge. If one wants one in the meanwhiles action and expense may be required. Maybe we can organize a group buy for all 50 of them at the 96 price paid upfront. Would 80000 pounds sterling suffice to kickstart production?

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 am

fluxivity wrote: one in the meanwhiles action and expense may be required. Maybe we can organize a group buy for all 50 of them at the 96 price paid upfront. Would 80000 pounds sterling suffice to kickstart production?
Boy, I bet that would be easily doable. Some of us would buy four or five at those prices to flip on eBay later. :hihi:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am

I'm all for kick starting Synthi production. One problem that you will encounter is that there is already a waiting list.

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:55 am

bwhittington wrote:
fluxivity wrote: one in the meanwhiles action and expense may be required. Maybe we can organize a group buy for all 50 of them at the 96 price paid upfront. Would 80000 pounds sterling suffice to kickstart production?
Boy, I bet that would be easily doable. Some of us would buy four or five at those prices to flip on eBay later. :hihi:
I would buy one, and sign something saying I would never sell it on eBay. :mrgreen:

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:58 am

sascha.victoria wrote:I'm all for kick starting Synthi production. One problem that you will encounter is that there is already a waiting list.
Robin could just explain that that list is for a production run planned "six to eight weeks" after the presale one. :lol:

Cheers,
Brian

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 am

bwhittington wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:I'm all for kick starting Synthi production. One problem that you will encounter is that there is already a waiting list.
Robin could just explain that that list is for a production run planned "six to eight weeks" after the presale one. :lol:
The example provided by Chimera would suggest that delivery sequence need not be linked to order history. :party:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:28 am

I suppose 99% of the people on the list who still are contactable / want to buy a Synthi would jump on this pre-order concept if it was legit.

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:19 pm

fluxivity wrote: I certainly wish Robin the best in his endeavor and don't doubt
that a remanufactured synthi will emerge.
Ah, finally good news! When will it emerge? Any time frame? :nana:

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:15 pm

In the end, the best thing is for people to pretend it won't exist.
Make some music with existing tools and if one is made, great. In the meantime keep an eye out for an old one or some other tool that will make your ideas sing
Like one day I hope to get a Fenix XL. If that mail comes, superb! If it doesn't, my musical journey continues all the same.
(then again, I've got a VCS3, so there :banana: )
Last edited by Morley on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 pm

:agree:

velocity
Common Wiggler

Post by velocity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:59 pm

So is the hold up cash.. despite a full order book?

Last I heard from Robin he was expecting people to drop out as a lot of them ( myself included ) have been on the list for years. There's no doubt those places will be filled if word gets out. I suppose the problem is there's not a huge amount of profit to be had for an investor unless Robin raises his asking price. At £3500 for a Synthi A a new version is still cheaper than an origional, but how much more would people pay?

Prices are fickle though and I spotted a VCS3 on e-bay this week selling for something like £4600.... a couple of months ago there was an ex Hans Zimmer machine asking over £8300, not only did it not sell but it turned out not to be ex Hans either!

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Personally i hope for a hover car to emerge.......... most likely when im
dead and gone but with some luck i might get a electric car which sounds
more reasonable.

Heey! There are some industry talk about how electric cars should sound.
Time to do some neat sounds dudes and dudett's!

:lolhammer: :burns:

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Prepare yourself!

http://synth.me/music-gear/synthi-and-v ... nuary-2011
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Cornwall News
28th October 2010

Preparations to re-establish production of the original Synthi A and VCS3 Mk2 have been proceeding through the summer and we are now expecting the first completed units to be ready in January 2011. Currently we are building a large stock of assembled and tested circuit boards. This has taken quite a bit longer than expected, but you can rest assured that we are dedicated to ensuring a successful outcome, as well as the re-introduction of other EMS products to follow in due course. A new website will also be unveiled in 2010.

Once we start shipping the Synthis it should be posssible to give you an approximiate delivery date, and we will certainly contact you to advise you as the time draws near.

Best wishes - Robin Wood

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Promising! :party:

If a new website pops up in January, that will be my cue that it's time to set aside the funds.

Cheers,
Brian

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 am

Dar santa, I wud very much lik to have an EMS VCS3 for xmas. As this is only cummin out in 2011 yoo can send me the money now please.

ps - I hav Rudolph and will plug him in mains unless I gets the dosh, ok?

love mark

Raglani
EMS blasphemer

Post by Raglani » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Now I wish I would have sent that check in a few years back... even tho I doubt it would've mattered. I am very curious as to what follows the limited runs of the A'S. He told me he only had a few of the suitcases left and a limited number of the VCS3 housings. Something portable but what I wonder??? :despair:
Last edited by Raglani on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:09 pm

My understanding that there will be no AKS - they haven't got one of the sequencer bits.

They do have I think less than 30 cases for a Synthi A. After that they will need to find a different housing.

VCS3s they already have a number of cases, again less than 30 I think - but that is probably less of a challenge to source.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I believe Robin has around 40 of the old cases. My guess is if they continue the A design it will be in a similar modern case.

I'm pretty sure the KS has obsolete parts. If it gets reworked it won't be from day 1. Same goes for the Cricklewood.

If you're interested in getting a new Synthi I wouldn't hesitate to get on the list. I believe there's around 90 people on it. You have to figure that number will be at least cut in half. Some people will not be contactable because of changed contact info, not want one, not have the money, etc...

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Ah, that's a news :guinness:

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Morley The Fenix XL development is still alive and the test units are currently being upgraded. I hope to have one back soon.
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 pm

mono-poly wrote:Morley The Fenix XL development is still alive and the test units are currently being upgraded. I hope to have one back soon.
Bet the XL will be cheaper.

alka
Common Wiggler

Post by alka » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 pm

sascha.victoria wrote:I believe Robin has around 40 of the old cases. My guess is if they continue the A design it will be in a similar modern case.

I'm pretty sure the KS has obsolete parts. If it gets reworked it won't be from day 1. Same goes for the Cricklewood.

If you're interested in getting a new Synthi I wouldn't hesitate to get on the list. I believe there's around 90 people on it. You have to figure that number will be at least cut in half. Some people will not be contactable because of changed contact info, not want one, not have the money, etc...

what's also exciting is his talk of bringing out a new model. Perhaps the world will eventually see the Synthi P! Now that would lovely.

SIDENOTE: ok, sorry for this seemingly meaningless post but I now have 50 posts thanks to this and can now list something for sale... anyone interested in an Elektron Machinedrum UW?
the Colour of Terrible Crystal out on Vince Clarke's VeryRecords
http://veryrecords.com/portfolio-item/a ... e-crystal/

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:56 am

mono-poly wrote:Morley The Fenix XL development is still alive and the test units are currently being upgraded. I hope to have one back soon.
It' good news!
I hope my offer to NOT blow up Holland helps me get my own Fenix XL :hihi:

mono-poly
Le Cheff

Post by mono-poly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 am

I think next year they are coming :)
The farad is the captain of my print.

http://www.mono-poly.nl
http://www.noodlebar.org

WTB blue lantern purple vco

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 pm

this thread gives me hope for the future!
...of synths that is, not the rest of the world
:deadbanana:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”