MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

speakers for sound installation in museum?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author speakers for sound installation in museum?
Dofkev
Web searches did not turn up any ideal information on this subject, and searching through forums other than muffs sucks anyway. So, I am turning to the group of people I have the most confidence in: Wigglers! Does anyone have advise, suggestions.....guesses regarding the following:

I was approached today about curating some ongoing/rotating sound installations at the local art museum. Two areas of the museum would have fixed audio set-ups where artists would bring recorded sounds and have them installed for two months or so. I am looking for speaker advise (or any technical suggestions) for the following two environments:

1. Bathroom ( seriously, i just don't get it ): This will be an 8 channel install with a computer and an audio interface with 8 outs. Each output from the interface will go directly to its own speaker. The speakers will be located at various places around the bathroom (locations pending).
2. Elevator: This will probably be a two channel install with two speakers per channel.

So, I really have no idea what is available these days for this type of thing. Small, powered speakers? Passive speakers with a few amps? Obviously, I don't need anything very loud for these environments, but I would like to accommodate a suitable frequency range. Does anyone have any ideas or know anyone who I could speak to about such hardware?
Orbless
This is what I do for a living (media tech in a large museum)
I would look at the JBL Control series speakers. They have some nice smaller ones, I think Control 23's maybe. The Control 5 speakers are nice for a larger size.
They pair nicely with ART SLA series amps. The have the SLA 2 which is stereo and the SLA 4 which is four channel.

You can send me a pm if you want to talk some more about it.
Dofkev
Orbless wrote:
This is what I do for a living (media tech in a large museum)
I would look at the JBL Control series speakers. They have some nice smaller ones, I think Control 23's maybe. The Control 5 speakers are nice for a larger size.
They pair nicely with ART SLA series amps. The have the SLA 2 which is stereo and the SLA 4 which is four channel.

You can send me a pm if you want to talk some more about it.

Thanks Orbless, you are exactly the guy i need to talk to! I'm going to check out those speakers but will likely need to take you up on your offer of a PM. Thanks!!!
Orbless
Happy to elp out. I was wrong about the 23's, that is the larger speaker, and a good option for the stereo setup. The Control 25 could be good for the 8 speaker array, and also pair nicely with a small subwoofer.
They also make a powered speaker called the Control 2P.
The frequency response is pretty good for all of their Control series speakers.
Soy Sos
On a budget, you may want to check craig's list for used sets
of home theater surround systems (speakers only). You can then pick up some cheap stereo power amps on ebay.
I've put together some systems like this for my gallery sound installations. These used to be $2 + shipping. (?!?!)
But something like this works great
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CH-output-100w-100w-Audio-Speaker-Stereo-Amp lifier-AMP-4-16ohm-Twin-Power-IC-/330636233041?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplif iers_Preamps&hash=item4cfb748951
don h
I would also look at using installation grade amplifier and passive speakers, it may be easier to set up, and provide more speaker options. I have had good luck with Stewart amps:
http://www.stewartaudio.com/index.php
solaris
Using this:
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/cx/cx8/cx8.htm

with eight of these:
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/acoustic_design/ad_s52/ads52 .htm
Soy Sos
The real question is, who's paying for the equipment?
If it was coming out of my money, I'd try to cut costs.
If the venue pays, go for the deluxe.
Something else I always consider are the generally poor acoustic
conditions of most galleries and museums.
jullekoalabear
Why dont you check out the genelec 6010 speakers?

They are very reasonable for what they deliver.

I have 8 of them myself. works wonderful in small rooms like bathrooms and elevators they should be perfect
continuum
THe JBL Control series is pretty standard for installation work. They sound OK, but can take a good amount of abuse. I've run them off cheap home theater receivers with preamp inputs for months at a time without issue.

A powered option would be the Samson or M-Audio 'monitors' that are about $200 a pair. Sometimes running power to each speaker is a problem though (particularly in-wall cabling), so consider that.
Midiot
Ideally, you need to think "acoustics". Bathrooms and Elevators are very small hard/flat spaces.

Will the spaces be full of people ? ...or mostly empty ?

Also important....is what sort of audio is being played ?

Would you like to "hide" the speakers somewhat ?

For a simple bathroom or elevator, you don't need much "SPL", so 2-4 small speakers & low amplification are fine, but you might (will) need to fill-out the sound down to at least 80Hz, so I would think...and hide the smallest subwoofer you can find and fine-tune its volume to suit the space.
Picture it this way....large spaces like PA announcements in large commercial spaces (like a big market) work much better with many smaller speakers (spread out) rather than a couple large loud speakers.
Scale this idea down.

If budget is a concern, cheap desktop-PC 3-speaker (2.1) packages might work well. (or a mini 5.1 surround, 5 speakers + sub)
Is the source able to Bluetooth or connect to other devices ?
You might find some wireless speaker models, so..... (ding,ding !!) saving a lot of wiring.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've read a bit, and had some experience in "art installations". My mentor in college was Michael Brewster Michael Brewster , an artist that worked in/on sound.

Sounds like a fun project.
dubonaire
Midiot wrote:
Ideally, you need to think "acoustics". Bathrooms and Elevators are very small hard/flat spaces.

Will the spaces be full of people ? ...or mostly empty ?

Also important....is what sort of audio is being played ?

Would you like to "hide" the speakers somewhat ?

For a simple bathroom or elevator, you don't need much "SPL", so 2-4 small speakers & low amplification are fine, but you might (will) need to fill-out the sound down to at least 80Hz, so I would think...and hide the smallest subwoofer you can find and fine-tune its volume to suit the space.
Picture it this way....large spaces like PA announcements in large commercial spaces (like a big market) work much better with many smaller speakers (spread out) rather than a couple large loud speakers.
Scale this idea down.

If budget is a concern, cheap desktop-PC 3-speaker (2.1) packages might work well. (or a mini 5.1 surround, 5 speakers + sub)
Is the source able to Bluetooth or connect to other devices ?
You might find some wireless speaker models, so..... (ding,ding !!) saving a lot of wiring.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've read a bit, and had some experience in "art installations". My mentor in college was Michael Brewster Michael Brewster , an artist that worked in/on sound.

Sounds like a fun project.

I'm sure it was a fun project five years ago.
Midiot
dubonaire wrote:

I'm sure it was a fun project five years ago.

...just noticed that, ha.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1