speakers for sound installation in museum?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
Dofkev
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Saint Louis

speakers for sound installation in museum?

Post by Dofkev » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Web searches did not turn up any ideal information on this subject, and searching through forums other than muffs sucks anyway. So, I am turning to the group of people I have the most confidence in: Wigglers! Does anyone have advise, suggestions.....guesses regarding the following:

I was approached today about curating some ongoing/rotating sound installations at the local art museum. Two areas of the museum would have fixed audio set-ups where artists would bring recorded sounds and have them installed for two months or so. I am looking for speaker advise (or any technical suggestions) for the following two environments:

1. Bathroom ( :despair: ): This will be an 8 channel install with a computer and an audio interface with 8 outs. Each output from the interface will go directly to its own speaker. The speakers will be located at various places around the bathroom (locations pending).
2. Elevator: This will probably be a two channel install with two speakers per channel.

So, I really have no idea what is available these days for this type of thing. Small, powered speakers? Passive speakers with a few amps? Obviously, I don't need anything very loud for these environments, but I would like to accommodate a suitable frequency range. Does anyone have any ideas or know anyone who I could speak to about such hardware?

User avatar
Orbless
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Orbless » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 pm

This is what I do for a living (media tech in a large museum)
I would look at the JBL Control series speakers. They have some nice smaller ones, I think Control 23's maybe. The Control 5 speakers are nice for a larger size.
They pair nicely with ART SLA series amps. The have the SLA 2 which is stereo and the SLA 4 which is four channel.

You can send me a pm if you want to talk some more about it.

User avatar
Dofkev
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Saint Louis

Post by Dofkev » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Orbless wrote:This is what I do for a living (media tech in a large museum)
I would look at the JBL Control series speakers. They have some nice smaller ones, I think Control 23's maybe. The Control 5 speakers are nice for a larger size.
They pair nicely with ART SLA series amps. The have the SLA 2 which is stereo and the SLA 4 which is four channel.

You can send me a pm if you want to talk some more about it.
Thanks Orbless, you are exactly the guy i need to talk to! I'm going to check out those speakers but will likely need to take you up on your offer of a PM. Thanks!!!

User avatar
Orbless
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by Orbless » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am

Happy to elp out. I was wrong about the 23's, that is the larger speaker, and a good option for the stereo setup. The Control 25 could be good for the 8 speaker array, and also pair nicely with a small subwoofer.
They also make a powered speaker called the Control 2P.
The frequency response is pretty good for all of their Control series speakers.

User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4490
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:13 am

On a budget, you may want to check craig's list for used sets
of home theater surround systems (speakers only). You can then pick up some cheap stereo power amps on ebay.
I've put together some systems like this for my gallery sound installations. These used to be $2 + shipping. (?!?!)
But something like this works great
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CH-output-100 ... 4cfb748951

don h
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by don h » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 am

I would also look at using installation grade amplifier and passive speakers, it may be easier to set up, and provide more speaker options. I have had good luck with Stewart amps:
http://www.stewartaudio.com/index.php

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 am


User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4490
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 am

The real question is, who's paying for the equipment?
If it was coming out of my money, I'd try to cut costs.
If the venue pays, go for the deluxe.
Something else I always consider are the generally poor acoustic
conditions of most galleries and museums.

jullekoalabear
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Post by jullekoalabear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Why dont you check out the genelec 6010 speakers?

They are very reasonable for what they deliver.

I have 8 of them myself. works wonderful in small rooms like bathrooms and elevators they should be perfect

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1974
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Post by continuum » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:47 am

THe JBL Control series is pretty standard for installation work. They sound OK, but can take a good amount of abuse. I've run them off cheap home theater receivers with preamp inputs for months at a time without issue.

A powered option would be the Samson or M-Audio 'monitors' that are about $200 a pair. Sometimes running power to each speaker is a problem though (particularly in-wall cabling), so consider that.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

User avatar
Midiot
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am
Location: LA, CA

Post by Midiot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:01 am

Ideally, you need to think "acoustics". Bathrooms and Elevators are very small hard/flat spaces.

Will the spaces be full of people ? ...or mostly empty ?

Also important....is what sort of audio is being played ?

Would you like to "hide" the speakers somewhat ?

For a simple bathroom or elevator, you don't need much "SPL", so 2-4 small speakers & low amplification are fine, but you might (will) need to fill-out the sound down to at least 80Hz, so I would think...and hide the smallest subwoofer you can find and fine-tune its volume to suit the space.
Picture it this way....large spaces like PA announcements in large commercial spaces (like a big market) work much better with many smaller speakers (spread out) rather than a couple large loud speakers.
Scale this idea down.

If budget is a concern, cheap desktop-PC 3-speaker (2.1) packages might work well. (or a mini 5.1 surround, 5 speakers + sub)
Is the source able to Bluetooth or connect to other devices ?
You might find some wireless speaker models, so..... (ding,ding !!) saving a lot of wiring.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've read a bit, and had some experience in "art installations". My mentor in college was Michael Brewster Michael Brewster , an artist that worked in/on sound.

Sounds like a fun project.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:15 am

Midiot wrote:Ideally, you need to think "acoustics". Bathrooms and Elevators are very small hard/flat spaces.

Will the spaces be full of people ? ...or mostly empty ?

Also important....is what sort of audio is being played ?

Would you like to "hide" the speakers somewhat ?

For a simple bathroom or elevator, you don't need much "SPL", so 2-4 small speakers & low amplification are fine, but you might (will) need to fill-out the sound down to at least 80Hz, so I would think...and hide the smallest subwoofer you can find and fine-tune its volume to suit the space.
Picture it this way....large spaces like PA announcements in large commercial spaces (like a big market) work much better with many smaller speakers (spread out) rather than a couple large loud speakers.
Scale this idea down.

If budget is a concern, cheap desktop-PC 3-speaker (2.1) packages might work well. (or a mini 5.1 surround, 5 speakers + sub)
Is the source able to Bluetooth or connect to other devices ?
You might find some wireless speaker models, so..... (ding,ding !!) saving a lot of wiring.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've read a bit, and had some experience in "art installations". My mentor in college was Michael Brewster Michael Brewster , an artist that worked in/on sound.

Sounds like a fun project.
I'm sure it was a fun project five years ago.

User avatar
Midiot
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am
Location: LA, CA

Post by Midiot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 am

dubonaire wrote:
I'm sure it was a fun project five years ago.
...just noticed that, ha.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

Post Reply

Return to “Production Techniques”