MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Has anyone DIY'ed an ArdCore in Euro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Has anyone DIY'ed an ArdCore in Euro?
withakay
I would love to know how others have approached this.

Initially I thought the ardcore pcb would sit nicely behind 14HP panel but the placement of the Arduino Nano means that connecting the USB socket to bring out the front panel makes the whole thing to tall.

I could mount the pcb so the mini usb socket of the Arduino pokes through the panel but because the power connector is at the same end it eats loads of space behind the panel where ideally jacks would get placed.

I can't quite see a way to do this without have a wide panel 24HP+ or a really deep module that I will struggle to get in my LC9 case.

So, if anyone has done this already or has thoughts on tricky sized PCBs, I would love to hear what you have to say.
pre55ure
I did one and never found a good solution either. I have mine mounted parallel to the panel, and yeah theres no way I could plug in the USB while it's in the rack. I just pull it out of the rack whenever I want to reprogram it. seriously, i just don't get it
CJ Miller
I have looked into DIY ArdCore a bit, done some bench tests and layout sketches. I went about it a bit differently, because I had regular, non-Nano Arduinos. So I used some perf to make something more like a regular shield. But at the time I didn't use the buffer chip, because I didn't have any. This approach has the advantage of working with regular Arduinos, but I had difficulty laying out the board in the size I wanted.

So where I left off with this was making a new kind of Arduino board with extra options, spaces which could be filled or left empty depending upon what is needed. I added options for a USB chip, as well as RS232 and RS422 serial - because the serial is often faster, and I use it for various things. And also optional power conditioning so one could get +/- 12V or 15V to pass on to additional circuitry, as well as 3.3V or other lesser voltages. I was doing the layout for a 4U project, but it would fit 3U easily with a few changes. I haven't worked on it since the summer.
bennybones
I wonder if you could set up the arduino with bluetooth or something and just reprogram it wirelessly...

By George, that's brilliant! I'm looking into this!
withakay
I already have the ardcore PCB and an arduino nano, I hastily soldered all the components on.

I might look at getting another and building a 'double ardcore', really interested in digital out expansion too, would be a massive panel though. Ho him.
glitchpop
Could you desolder the usb port and break it out to the panel by wiring? A problem I can see with that is how to mount the usb port to the panel... hmmm.....
withakay
Maybe...The USB port is a mini USB type, very small, like smt small.
nd595
I actually made two : first one with Ardcore PCB board parallel to the front panel - and I just left a small hole at right side of front panel and put a USB cable through it. It works - and however not terribly convenient, it does not worry me as I am not carrying my synth out of my home.
The second one has a bigger panel - I figured out how to make an expander (not difficult at all as it turned out), and put a tiny Gabatronics oscilloscope next to it (you can see the photo of the panel on my avatar). There is just enough space under Gabatronics for USB adapter from Jaycar.
Fantastic module it is, and I am using both all the time.
nigel
I haven't built mine yet, but I was planning to use one of these panel mount USB cables: https://www.adafruit.com/products/936
glitchpop
nd595 wrote:
a tiny Gabatronics oscilloscope...

Sorry to go way OT but do you have this project documented anywhere? I'm very interested in it.
withakay
nd595 wrote:
I actually made two : first one with Ardcore PCB board parallel to the front panel - and I just left a small hole at right side of front panel and put a USB cable through it. It works - and however not terribly convenient, it does not worry me as I am not carrying my synth out of my home.
The second one has a bigger panel - I figured out how to make an expander (not difficult at all as it turned out), and put a tiny Gabatronics oscilloscope next to it (you can see the photo of the panel on my avatar). There is just enough space under Gabatronics for USB adapter from Jaycar.

The oscilloscope is a very cool idea, I might borrow that one myself!

Certainly building a panel to hold more than just the Ardcore seems to be the way to go.

I am guessing the expander is pretty simple with the digital pins from the arduino running into a buffer chip and then a 1k resistor in line for each output from the buffer and then on to the led/jacks?

I think even I could manage that on some perf board (setting myself up for a fall there!)
nd595
You are absolutely right about the expander - buffer chip (If you ordered one more for your Ardcore you already have it), 16x1K resistors and 8 LEDS. Plus I did put on the same PCB Doepfer style power socket and 6-pin socket to connect to Ardcore (there was a place). You could put there a simple 7805 5V source for Ardcore too.
withakay
nd595 wrote:
You are absolutely right about the expander - buffer chip (If you ordered one more for your Ardcore you already have it), 16x1K resistors and 8 LEDS. Plus I did put on the same PCB Doepfer style power socket and 6-pin socket to connect to Ardcore (there was a place). You could put there a simple 7805 5V source for Ardcore too.

Yes, I have 3 or so buffer chips spare smile
With the resistors how are they configured? Like this?

--1k-- LED
buffer output 1 --<
--1k-- Jack

Or how?

I used a 7805 to feed the 5v on the buss board rather than mounting it on the Ardcore as I have a few builds in mind that I think will need 5v

nd595
From each output 2 resistors : one connects to output jack, another to LED.
As for 5V power source - if you use the module on the photo that will not be enough for several modules if you use 7805 without a heatsink. This is why I suggested to put 7805 on expander board. Still - everyone to his own devices!
And I would add a 0.1uF capacitor to the output of 7805 - these chips do ring often!
withakay
Thanks for the tips, maybe I will mount this circuit with the Ardcore itself then, I guess I will see how hot it gets!

Do you mean that I should replace the 10uf capacitor I have on the output with a 0.1uf capacitor?
nd595
Yes - replace it. Electrolytics sometimes do funny things and high frequencies. And every module you use has filters on power lines, there are electrolytics already.
withakay
So should the 0.1uf be an electrolytic, or should I use ceramic?
(really showing my ignorance here, I just copied a schematic I found on the intarwebs!)
nd595
not electrolytic - ceramic or polyester. Like normal filtering capacitors you use near every chip in the modules - to filter out any high-frequency on power lines.
withakay
Got it, thanks thumbs up
withakay
I found some mini usb connectors that panel mount, might be useful to anyone attempting an ardcore

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1860557&action=view&C MP=GRHB-OCTOPART-1006825
pre55ure
nd595 wrote:

Wow, thats really cool! Any chance you could post a picture of the backside of your build?
nd595
OK - here it is ; don't judge too hard, it is not a commercial module, I just wanted to make something workable and reliable. Could use tidier cabling.

withakay
Looks good to me, nice that you make your own panel control pcbs thumbs up

I have not got into the etching side of things yet so I have designed a panel with FPE that will mount the ardcore pcb through the panel with bolts and stand offs. It is a double panel so I will need to stack another ardcore.

Still not 100% on this as the panel mount usb uses so much depth and the mini ones are £9 each(!)

I will probably try and build the expander on perfboard.

The panel is gonna cost €55 + postage though.

I am estimating about £135 for this build in total, which for two ardcores is not too bad compared to the retail units.

elmegil
That adafruit cable looks REALLY useful. I have some other arduino projects of my own design in the pipe, and that would make a nice way to deal with them....
bleeps
Have you ordered this yet? It might be worth doing a cardboard mock up and then doing an interest check on a group run. Given enough interest you could up with a good price break. I'd be up for it. A DIY Euro Double Ardcore with expander sounds like fun. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6