MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta Cart
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta Cart
bar|none
I thought I'd post how I solved the volta cable problem.

The rack as a motu ultralite inside, so it is connected to the computer by a single firewire cable.

doctorvague
Great job!
1nput0utput
I'd bet that you could easily sell a few of those if you wanted to.
Soy Sos
Looking good, very slick. I've been thinking of building something similar soon. I've got a dead 828 to send back to MOTU. When it comes back, I was thinking of putting it inside my case and doing a front panel with 1/8th jacks. Too bad the 828 is so big.
bar|none
The soldering is a bit of a pain with that soldercup DB25. If one of the new case manufacterers made this as an option, that would be super slick. Especially if someone did a PCB to make far less labor intensive.

So much nicer than the rats nest I used to have. Makes it far easier to use Volta when you aren't hunting and organizing long 1/4 to 1/8 wires.
xpander
when i first ordered Volta, i was thinking of doing exactly the same thing! seems to be an even better idea in practice, too!
1nput0utput
It would be cool to see something similar for a 24I/O. I envision it as a 1U blank 19" panel with twenty-four 1/8" jacks, and it would be mounted in the rack above or below the interface. You may not need the D-sub if it's a more permanent installation.
bar|none
This little plate is super handy. I cut a custom hole instead and it was fiddly.

http://highlyliquid.com/midi-accessories/db-25-panel-mount-plate/

You could easily build one of these into a blank panel as well.
doctorvague
1nput0utput wrote:
It would be cool to see something similar for a 24I/O. I envision it as a 1U blank 19" panel with twenty-four 1/8" jacks, and it would be mounted in the rack above or below the interface. You may not need the D-sub if it's a more permanent installation.

I just turn my 24io around backwards and set it on top my dotcom cabinet. All the jacks are right there for patching including the inputs for calibrating and sending audio to the modular. Works fine for me and saves a ton of wiring and connections.
1nput0utput
doctorvague wrote:
1nput0utput wrote:

I just turn my 24io around backwards and set it on top my dotcom cabinet. All the jacks are right there for patching including the inputs for calibrating and sending audio to the modular. Works fine for me and saves a ton of wiring and connections.

I forgot that you can even move the rack ears from the front panel to the back, which gives you a kind of instant patch bay. But then you lose the nice blinky metering.
doctorvague
1nput0utput wrote:
doctorvague wrote:
1nput0utput wrote:

I forgot that you can even move the rack ears from the front panel to the back, which gives you a kind of instant patch bay. But then you lose the nice blinky metering.

Funny you mentioned that. MOTU says you can move the rack ears but I don't see how, they look completely attached on mine and I really looked. In my case it's not an issue as it's just sitting there on top anyway. Are your 24io rack ears really removable??
1nput0utput
doctorvague wrote:
1nput0utput wrote:

Funny you mentioned that. MOTU says you can move the rack ears but I don't see how, they look completely attached on mine and I really looked. In my case it's not an issue as it's just sitting there on top anyway. Are your 24io rack ears really removable??

I found this on motu.com: http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/what-tools-do-i-need-to-remo ve-the-rack-ears-on-my-interface

The rack ears are removable, but there aren't any holes on the back of the 24I/O to attach them. I didn't notice this before. My UltraLite, however, does have holes in the back, which is probably what I was thinking of before.

I can think of two solutions for the 24I/O:
  1. Drill holes in the back panel to accommodate the rack ear screws.
  2. Remove the top cover, turn it backwards, and reattach it. (This would mean that only the top hex screw is attached for each rack ear, but I don't the interface is heavy enough for this to be a major problem. I should also mention that MOTU hardware manuals say that modifying the interface voids the warranty and makes it unserviceable. So drill at your own risk.)
bar|none
>Remove the top cover, turn it backwards, and reattach it.
I think I remember stretta took this approach
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1