MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI Tetra vs. Mopho key
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI Tetra vs. Mopho key
NU
I've been thinking about swapping my Mopho key for a Tetra. I mostly use the Mopho for drones (sometimes leads, never basslines) and I hope to do more touring in the next year so four voices in a much smaller case is really appealing. I almost never use the keys but I'm really wondering about the reduced interface - how clumsy/annoying would it be for someone used to the key version? Any (not-so-obvious) differences between the two I should know about?
chando
well.. they're supposed to go together.

Programming the TETRA would be a lot easier with the Mopho controlling it..
lvoemachine
The smaller size is great, and you could use the push it button to start your drones. I'm not sure how you'd end up using all four voices though without keys to really trigger more notes unless you used the sequencer to start all four voices and set the bpm low and took off the attack on the amp envelopes...it could be done, but I'd rather have the keyboard, I mean it still fits in a small bag/case...I've had both and kept the mopho because honestly in the end, having all the knobs and that great key action is hard to live without.
vp1
I own the Tetra and have used it in a couple of live settings.
So far I used it mostly for experimental / noise / drone stuff - in multitibral mode - and it works great!
I was, however, always using an external MIDI controller - the BCR2000 - and a computer (for either sound looping or MIDI sequencing).
Therefore, you will surely need an external controller if you want to manipulate the drones live - though for more static drones, you can simply use 'push it' button, like Ivoemachine suggested.
+1 on small size of the Tetra (but then again, if you couple it with e.g. BCR2000, you're there again...).
As an alternative, consider adding to MoKey a looper (either hardware - I use JamMan - or software - I use Sooperlooper).
Stab Frenzy
NU wrote:
I've been thinking about swapping my Mopho key for a Tetra. I mostly use the Mopho for drones (sometimes leads, never basslines) and I hope to do more touring in the next year so four voices in a much smaller case is really appealing. I almost never use the keys but I'm really wondering about the reduced interface - how clumsy/annoying would it be for someone used to the key version? Any (not-so-obvious) differences between the two I should know about?

I had a Tetra and used it for pretty much that exact thing. It was really really frustrating to use in that way, cycling through parameters and voices to get to what you want to tweak is not what you need for a live instrument.

It's a little bit of a sideways leap, but I think an Analog Four would be exactly perfect for this kind of thing. Costs a bit more, but the interface is very direct for live use. That's what my next gear purchase is going to be.
dubnspace
If they added polyphony mode to the Analog Four, I think it'd be a no- brainer. But having four voice polyphony in such a small footprint is making my Tetra hard to give up.
EMwhite
I just watched the SonicState review/chat w/ the Elektron guys. Very impressive. If they added Poly, with a few features that supported it (like binding key velocity from Midi to filter or amplitude, etc), they would absolutely clean up (sell many many more).

If they took it one step further and did Midi-> CV conversion and allowed sequencing from Midi back to Midi as well, double-wow.

Considering how much it already has and how much work they have already put into it, I would think that it might not be to large a task for them. Unless they have other plans for a future product and are not interested in stealing the thunder, I don't see why they would not go fwd with it.

Here's the link if interested (23 minutes worth): http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/01/11/product-presentation-elektro n-analog-four-/

(apologies for thread hijak)
NU
vp1 wrote:
As an alternative, consider adding to MoKey a looper (either hardware - I use JamMan - or software - I use Sooperlooper).

I actually have an EHX 2880 and have never been able to incorporate it into my live set-up. Not sure what that says about me.

I'm not opposed to using a simple/small external controller with a Tetra - it still wouldn't equal the size and weight of the Mopho key, and would allow for use of the four voices. For live sets I've basically been using the Mopho as a (bulky, overcapable) tone generator while tweaking and working my other gear (MPC/pedals/etc). In light of that, diminished functionality with the Tetra isn't the end of the world if I can gain polyphony.

Stab Frenzy wrote:
It was really really frustrating to use in that way, cycling through parameters and voices to get to what you want to tweak is not what you need for a live instrument.

Are Assigned Parameters not saved as part of the patch? Or are you referring to something else?

Stab Frenzy wrote:
It's a little bit of a sideways leap, but I think an Analog Four would be exactly perfect for this kind of thing.

The Analog Four looks dope (size and interface are a plus) but I'm not really looking to give the Mopho up for another monosynth. Poly Elektron synth would be we're not worthy
1986Bowler
I have both- I bought the Mopho first and then bought the Tetr4 to expand.

I lean on the Mopho to control the Tetr4, and I think I can count on my hands the number of times I've used it as a standalone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1