MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rollz-5+ Kit from Meng Qi (2014 Revision 3)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author Rollz-5+ Kit from Meng Qi (2014 Revision 3)
HueMonContact
I'll be purchasing a few of these and some of your other pcbs when this one comes back from the factory!
Great work man!
jooks
I want one too! Great work thumbs up
NS4W
Is it eurorack compatible?
zilaihong
Thank you! I'll build one to test it when it come back from the factory, then it will be ready for sell.

NS4W
I don't know.
It is all sound signal so I guess it can be interconnected.
But I am not sure about this.
Maybe I will test that after I build it.
Repeater
NS4W wrote:
Is it eurorack compatible?

Not sure how zilaihong plans to power his version, but the original Rollz-5 circuit is powered by a 9V single supply (usually a battery). The original is definitely not designed to process the 20V peak to peak signals that Eurorack can generate.

Feeding CV into it could be sketchy as there are only really trigger inputs on the "filter" modules (gong, avdog, ultrasound), other than the ultrasound filter which can process audio (I haven't tested CV on the input, but I'll try it out). You can definitely extract some interesting control voltages from the geometric Rolls, especially if you run a few of them into an R2R ladder or mixer. Plenty of Wogglebugesque stuff comes out of the Rolls, especially without using the filter modules, when you patch 'em up right. Check out this clip: https://soundcloud.com/martin-freem/4-roll-5-roll

I have a few Rolls in my Rollz-5 dedicated to CV and I highly recommend doing the same. Just use larger "hairy" capacitors in your Rolls to get lower frequencies. Read the notes on the Ciat Lonbarde site if this doesn't make sense to you.
bartlebooth
pugix wrote:
Yes, many cups of coffee while perusing fourses and fryall.

I went back to studying fryall just recently. The oscillator design is very interesting. In section Z six oscillators connect in a loop, such that each modifies the frequency of the next, each going through a VCA that controls the depth of the FM. (The same theme is found in Cocoquantus.) The tricky part is the CV for each of those six VCAs. C Section (COUNTEN) is driven by the VCOs and produces six staircase waves. Section O (the ORRANGER) takes in the six VCO outputs plus the six staircase waves and selects from these to go back to control the VCAs. Section P is just a couple more VCOs to produce outputs for touch nodes.

But there's more. An external input can go into the Spesal Cuck. This would affect all the oscillators. There's also a speaker driver, but I can't figure out where the input for that comes from. hmmm.....

I wonder how anyone could have assembled a Fryall from these instructions. eek!

thanks for that description of the oscillator section! Spesal cuck modulates the voltage reference i think.it makes the whole instrument spasm in unpredictable ways. the speaker input is a node is at the bottom of the 'F- formation', its below the 'outputs' (transobservers) and the feedback nodes (ice-stabs). if you're ever up in DC you should come by and check these things out in person!

oh, as far as assembly there was a separate document for that (listed as 'manual for assembly' on the fyrall page).
mrbloor
think I'm gonna have to get me a pcb thumbs up
subterryanean
Very cool!

Another thing that would go along with those are the Dogvoice from the Dogslit. Very similar to the filter's on the Rollz. I love the sound of the Dogslit, but apperently it's not something that can be made other then the Dogvoice, something about having to circuit bend the Swoop and Anti-Swoop to make them work.
zilaihong
A quick update:

Got the boards today, they are big and beautiful.
I spent this afternoon soldering.
Currently lack of 084, ordered and waiting for them to arrive to test the board.

roolz-5 pcb building by Meng Qi, on Flickr
numan7
w00t totally awesome, Meng Qi! i am seriously looking forward to hearing some of the sounds these beautiful devices can make! screaming goo yo

cheers
mrbloor
thumbs up
HueMonContact
YAY!!! I'm really looking forward to building one of these. Can't wait to hear the sounds.
blue_lu
oh yeah - this is rather interesting!
CJ Miller
Beautiful work! Much more economical than my Rollz PCB, which is just a PnP of the paper designs.
glitchpop
numan7 wrote:
w00t totally awesome, Meng Qi! i am seriously looking forward to hearing some of the sounds these beautiful devices can make! screaming goo yo

cheers

THIS! The Chewbacca Defense
zilaihong
The 1st post updated with the most recent info! With audio recording, enjoy!

Guinness ftw!
themanthatwasused

BUMP
This deserves a wider audience!
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t that sounds so vivid and alive! hyper Guinness ftw! we're not worthy

pm'd for pcbs!

cheers
Repeater
Great recording! Kinda reminds me of David Tudor's Rainforest. The Rollz has an incredible gamelan-like quality to it when you patch it up right.

Looking forward to assembling another one of these.
HueMonContact
Excellent sounds!

This going to be a fun build! I sent you a PM for this and a few of your DDDM2 boards.
zilaihong
Thank you VERY much for the nice words and bump!

Yus, the Roolz-5 sounds perfect, The avdog and ultrasound provice back ground statics / swirls and so on... and the gongue is very, very percussive and almost has an acoustic feel in it.
And by tweaking knobs it can alter the speed of rhythm so to create and release tension in the music. "vivid and alive“ "gamelan-like quality" perfect for describing roolz-5!

I only have 1 roolz-5 pcb left now. More will be available in roughly 2 weeks. Sorry about the low stock number this batch!

Btw, ladies and gentlemen, the new Grassi and APCS PCB in polar white!

The new polar white pcbs of Ciat-Lonbarde Grassi and APCS by Meng Qi, on Flickr
mrbloor
Hi Zilaihong,

thanks for the pcb, arrived this morning, very pleased.

I assume this pcb is one of the first batch so I must do the mod you describe.

Also, can you please post a photo of a populated pcb, you have one on tumbler but there is a cats arse in the way smile.

I would really like to follow your design regarding banana colours etc, and a clear photo will give me a greater understanding of what I have here before I order components.

Thanks once again.

David
zilaihong
mrbloor wrote:
Hi Zilaihong,

thanks for the pcb, arrived this morning, very pleased.

I assume this pcb is one of the first batch so I must do the mod you describe.

Also, can you please post a photo of a populated pcb, you have one on tumbler but there is a cats arse in the way smile.

I would really like to follow your design regarding banana colours etc, and a clear photo will give me a greater understanding of what I have here before I order components.

Thanks once again.

David

Hi, David,

I am glad to hear that the pcb arrived!

Here are the pics I've just taken, and uploaded. They are full size giant pics, which should be good for your needs:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107177824976770008966/albums/584780 0835687668273

I would love to see and hear the roolz-5 you build!

Regards,
/M.Q.
mrbloor
sorry get an error code :(
zilaihong
The permission was private I don't know why...
Fixed! wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 2 of 21