MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-3 and ES-5 MIDI and SYNC questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-3 and ES-5 MIDI and SYNC questions
induktor
Hi all,

I recently purchased an ES-3 and ES-5 and have been running into some issues with the MIDI aspects of these devices. I have had success with the ES-5 controller running MIDI in Ableton at both 44.1K and 48K although the MIDI clock output starts a bar late. seriously, i just don't get it

I have however not had any success with the ES-5's MIDI capabilities within Numerology in stand alone mode which I prefer. The voice controller functions as expected but no luck with the ES-5 controller. I've been methodical in checking and testing my connections, routing, sample rate, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
os
Quote:
although the MIDI clock output starts a bar late

This is Live being weird with Audio Units. Try the VST.

Quote:
Numerology in stand alone mode

Which version of Numerology? Jim did make some fixes for ES-4/5 compatibility at one point.
induktor
induktor wrote:

os wrote:

It starts right on time! Outstanding! Rock solid sync! I tested this with an mfb522 which I've read can be bitchy about midi clock.

induktor wrote:
Numerology in stand alone mode

os wrote:
Which version of Numerology? Jim did make some fixes for ES-4/5 compatibility at one point.

I was running Pro 3.2 (Build 61). I upgraded to Build 67 and still no joy.

I am really happy about the sync though!

Thanks os!
os
w00t

Is it MIDI clock you're trying to send from the ES-5 Controller in Numerology, or actual MIDI notes etc.?
induktor
I sorted it out. screaming goo yo

I've been attempting to output both note and clock data. It turns out that I needed to insert the "Mono Extraction" utility (a utility in Numerology) between the ES-5 controller and the output of its respective rack. Now both note and clock data are being passed at both 44.1K and 48K. As a note, I'm running a Motu 828 mkII.
Guinness ftw!

A strange thing worth mention is that in my first test project the "Right Minus Left" state in the utility worked whereas in a different test project "Left Plus Right" was needed. There may have been nuances that I missed but the differences weren't apparent.

Thank you again for the help os!
os
Again I say w00t
juanchi999
Hi Os. I am using the ableton live with es-3. I am using a master channel with the midi notes and then all the 6 outputs of the es-3 trigered by the same midi sequence. I wonder if its possible to use separate Midi sequences and derive them through different channels. For example, one midi sequence with pitch, gate and an envelope (channels 1,2 and 3 of teh es-3) and another midi sequence driving the other 3 channels. Thanks
os
Yes, that's possible.
juanchi999
Hi Os. Is silentway working ok with mojave? thanks
os
It is.
juanchi999
Hi Os. trying to make the ES5 work. (connected to es-3)
Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? I cant get any gate out of the es-5

ext out 19 and 20 are 7/8 from the ES-3 I guess.
juanchi999
also, es-5 is just for gates? how can i pitch that gates?
Thanks
os
You want the 'Gates' section, not the 'Input To Gates'.

Set "1 Chan" to '1'.
juanchi999
Os, Ive set the "1 chan" to 1, but the only thing i see is the led 1 lighted fixed. The midi gate is not transmitting.
1) Do I have to insert another channel in ableton live to transmit the midi? As you can see there's only 1 channel with the ES-5 controller.
2) Is the ES-5 only for gates? hw do you transmit pitch over there?
2) What is the difference between the 2 ES-5 controllers plugins?

I would appreciate if you can help. I bet this is a bit dumb for you, but its really difficult to get this thing working for a non-expert.
Thank you

os
You've set the Outputs knob to 1. You need to set the '1 Chan' knob in the Gates section to 1.
juanchi999
now ive set the "1 chan" to 1 but nothing happens.
when i set the output 1 to 1, at least i have a fixed led.
what could be doing wrong?
os
I imagine you're sending the wrong MIDI notes. Only notes 48-55 will produce an output.
juanchi999
thank you. I could make it work. The question is if i can only send a gate per channel, assume that note 48 goes to channel 1 and note 49 goes to channel 2.
How can i send pitch with the ES-5?
os
You can't.
Joey P.
os wrote:
Quote:

Hey OS,

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I am having trouble with the search function. I did manage to find a bunch of posts through google, but for some reason, I can't be logged on Muff when I read them.

Anyway, I have an ES-3, ES-5 and ESX-CV. Thanks to your diligence over the years in explaining how to use them, I think I am about 90% there in what I am trying to achieve.

But there are a couple things I'm still a bit lost with:

For one, is it possible to send 4 separate Sync plugins to the ES-5 controller, so that I can get 4 sets of clock divisions with various types of run gates? When I send the Sync to the ES-5 contoller MIDI input, I only see 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8. For some reason I can't send to 1/2.

Second, I was able to actually open 4 Sync plugins in 4 different MIDI tracks, set them each to ES-3 CH 7/8 (to ES-5), choose ES-5 mode and set each to 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8. But I'm not sure if I will have issues, as I thought I was only supposed to send one channel out to ES-3 7/8 for expansion duties.

Thirdly, while doing this, I am able to still use ESX-8CV controller on a channel going to the same ES-3 7/8 and send several Voice Controllers to it. So essentially, I have 5 tracks being mixed to ES-3 7/8. I'm wondering if this is because header 1 uses CH 7 and header 2 uses CH 8, so they are not conflicting? But if so, what about the 4x Syncs combining...will I run in to issues?

Sorry I'm late to the game getting all this down. I know you did a lot of posting answering questions about this over the years. Have a couple ESX-8 GTs on order and looking forward to a killer hybrid DAW/Modular setup.
os
The four SW Sync plug-ins and the ESX-8CV Combiner must all be on the same track.

The Sync plug-ins should be in ES-5 mode, with the appropriate gate outputs (e.g. 1/1, 1/2 etc.) selected.
Joey P.
os wrote:
The four SW Sync plug-ins and the ESX-8CV Combiner must all be on the same track.

The Sync plug-ins should be in ES-5 mode, with the appropriate gate outputs (e.g. 1/1, 1/2 etc.) selected.

Got it...After I posted, I did try putting the Sync before the ES-5 controller on the same track and was able to access gates 1/2....so I'm good.

Thanks for the quick response.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1