Finishing my suitcase

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Finishing my suitcase

Post by sgnhh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:24 am

Hey everyone, still looking for some opinions here. As I am putting the finishing touches on filling my suitcase, I'm finding myself more and more strapped for space and as a result unsure of what I should potentially think about putting in here. This board was a big help when I first started, so I thought I would ask again. This is what I've got so far (asterisks indicate modules which I' plan on picking up/have in transit) in a Doepfer case with 160 points of space:

Plan B M15
Livewire AFG*
Harvestman Polivoks VCF
Plan B M28 Tap Clock
Plan B M24 Heisenberg
Livewire Dual Cyclotron
Plan B M10 Polyphonic Envelope*
Plan B M10 Polyphonic Envelope*
Doepfer Exp. Mixer
Doepfer Dual VCA

That leaves me with 14 points of space. What I'm heavily considering is one of the Plan B swiss army knife modules (either the CV or audio one) which only take up 10 points of space, but can't decide which would be more useful to me. It'd be nice to have the CV one (top Boolean section could start/stop the Tap Clock, voltage mirror would be worthwhile), but the audio processor has a lot of functions that I am lacking (ring mod, white and pink noise, exp. VCA, etc).

The way I'm balancing this out in my head is, "all right, do I have more audio modules or more CV modules?" And it's pretty much a draw there.

Even still, I could fill one of those functions with the small space I have left over, be it with a Doepfer Ring Mod, Doepfer Voltage Inverter, or some other small module. Even still, I'm thinking the Plan B M15A expander module for the VCO would be amazing with the Livewire AFG since it adds two more 1v/O inputs to the unit.

So I think what a lot of this banks on is, are the M10s much better than their Doepfer equivalents? If so, I could always just pick up both the CV processor and the audio processor.

input por favor

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:49 am

hmm. it's not the most efficient use of space but what about a Plan B Model 13 - Dual Timbral Gate?
good points - two low pass gates in one unit, can act as a filter and/or vca, has that vactrol sound.
bad points - it's 12hp, which leaves you with 2hp - which you can basically do nothing with.

sandy

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:14 pm

How about Analogue Systems RS20 - ring mod and a 4 way multiple... you don't seem to have any multiples in the system so far? It's 6HP, which would leave you space, for example, for an unglamorous 8HP Doepfer module like a standard exp VCA or the noise generator.

However, if you don't have movable rails / nuts (like the standard Doepfer suitcase doesn't), ASys modules will apparently leave nasty 1HP gaps on both sides if you try to align them to Doepfer and other stuff. Unless you file the mounting holes a bit wider that is.

That what I was thinking at first when I saw your module list though, there are tons of other good alternative ideas of course.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:19 pm

tough call, but i'm going to vote M26....

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:24 pm

flts wrote:How about Analogue Systems RS20 - ring mod and a 4 way multiple... you don't seem to have any multiples in the system so far? It's 6HP, which would leave you space, for example, for an unglamorous 8HP Doepfer module like a standard exp VCA or the noise generator.

However, if you don't have movable rails / nuts (like the standard Doepfer suitcase doesn't), ASys modules will apparently leave nasty 1HP gaps on both sides if you try to align them to Doepfer and other stuff. Unless you file the mounting holes a bit wider that is.

That what I was thinking at first when I saw your module list though, there are tons of other good alternative ideas of course.
This is not a bad suggestion, but like you said, AS and Doepfer don't mesh well so the 6HP then becomes 7HP or 8HP, at which point I might as well keep the 4HP Doepfer Multiple I have (may get rid of it) and get a 4HP Doepfer Ring Mod.

Also, I currently have both Exp. VCA and Noise/Random modules, but am looking to ditch them. Which is where the Plan B modules come in.

About the M13, if I do decide to go the Doepfer route for the EG and LFO, then I probably will go with that in addition to either the M25 or M26. In that case, probably the M26 since the M13 could handle doing VCA if I need it to. However, I really like the idea of having two M10s so that I can have a nice combination of 2 LFOs, 2 EGs, or 1 LFO and 1 EG whenever.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:34 pm

sgnhh wrote:This is not a bad suggestion, but like you said, AS and Doepfer don't mesh well so the 6HP then becomes 7HP or 8HP, at which point I might as well keep the 4HP Doepfer Multiple I have (may get rid of it) and get a 4HP Doepfer Ring Mod.
Also, I currently have both Exp. VCA and Noise/Random modules, but am looking to ditch them. Which is where the Plan B modules come in.
Ah yea sorry, I'm missing some background it seems :wink: In that case - yeah, tough call between M25 and M26. Depends what you want to achieve, I guess. I would probably go for model 25 (the audio version) myself, and some little Doepfer utility module. If you decide to stick with the two M10s that is.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Yeah, I left those out of my list because as of now I don't plan to keep them. I rarely use the VCA and I haven't used the Noise module since I got the Heisenberg.

felix
Loves the manuals!

Re: Finishing my suitcase

Post by felix » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm

IMO, the M10 fares better than the Doepfer offerings. The envelopes can be *EXTREMELY* fast and also very slow. The CV control over the overall Time of both is also very handy, as are the various EOA and EOC gate/trigger outputs. The only thing that comes close is the 143-1 Complex EG...it's still not quite the same though and is actually bigger than 2 model 10s (although it is 4 EGs). I think you are making the right choice with the M10. I have one already, and plan on getting one of the new MkII ones (with the re-triggering) very soon.

Regarding the open space, I think the M25 would be a good choice. You definitely want an Exp. VCA. Linear VCAs just don't sound right as your output VCA. Since you've have two oscillators, Ring Mod will be a great timbral effect as well.

I'll second Sandy's rec on the M13 dual timbral gates. Not only are they great sounding for percussion-y sounds, but it makes a bad ass two channel audio mixer! I use this function of it very frequently and this would free up your Doepfer mixer to handle CV signals, which you will definitely want to be able to do (you might even consider changing this to the 183c so you can have phase inversion). The only downside I have with the M13 is it's AC coupled, so CV signals can't be mixed through it. There is a mod, via the plan B list, that can make it DC coupled that I might try though.

The only problem is the M25+M13 = 22HP, going well over your spare 14HP. I guess you could forgo the M13. I definitely think you should go for the M25 though.

Oh, and a tip regarding multiples...they don't need power and they actually fit quite well along the top and bottom areas of the doepfer suitcase. you could easily tape them down, or even screw them down, to that wood and be good to go.

If you felt comfortable drilling that wood area, you could also mount other 4HP doepfer modules that *did* use power...you just need to router or dremel out enough space to run the power ribbon cable through. I thought about doing this with my A100P suitcases before I decided to just make a large case.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Thanks for the info Felix. I was waiting for you to chime in since I know you've got an M10.

I think what I may do is purchase one M10 and follow it up with an M13 soon after. Then pick up either the M25 or M26. By that point I should know if I'll need two M10s... if so I guess I'll resell the M13 or perhaps something else? Who knows.

I wouldn't dare drill this suitcase because I feel like I may resell it to go for the monster base case later in the year.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:47 am

how bout an M16

Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:47 am

Hahaha!

Actually the M16 is another one of the Plan B modules I'm really looking forward to. It's basically a fixed filter bank *but* each filter has cv control!
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

Return to “Eurorack Modules”