MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The New Buchla Music Easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next [all]
Author The New Buchla Music Easel
beyourdog
thesnow wrote:
I love my easel and its case it comes with! it only cost me 1000.

Yes, but this one works and it's cheap,... so it's not so hype...
ttown23
MechaSeb wrote:
No need to have two tempco into the circuit !
(UA726HC contains already a Tempco which is sufficient)

Well, it depends on the circuit and implementation of the UA726HC. For example, the Korg Trident (which I just restored) had both a UA726HC and a TEMPCO.

While I agree that the UA726HC does have a built-in heater and closely matched transistor pair, that does not mean that it can not be used with a TEMPCO.
MechaSeb
ttown23 wrote:
the Korg Trident (which I just restored) had both a UA726HC and a TEMPCO.

Interesting. Do you think it was out from factory like this or it has been added by any tech later ?
papz
If the UA726's built-in heater keeps it to a constant temperature which is higher than the ambient temperature, why add a tempco ?
legionhwp
Re: "Lowgain" hardware mods to new BEMI Easels:

Has it been verified by any actual Easel owner who purchased and received a new unit in 2015 that current BEMI 208 units have all "low gain" improvements in them.

I have seen no pictures posted by BEMI or evidence either way. Today TRAX posted his low gain easel FS saying there are still issues with the BEMI Easels. (Did he post his comparison yet?). As far as I know there is no public post or confirmation from BEMI they have addressed these concerns.

Given the track record it would be wonderful to see independent verification that new BEMI easel has these structural and other issues addressed. If everything is fixed posting proof in this thread would go a long way to rehabilitating BEMI's Easel issues.

Elsewhere in this forum someone argued "why NOT place an Order with BEMI?" arguing the waiting list and delivery times will be what they are and placing an order now at least gets you closer to buying one. I would say that if there are promised hardware upgrades that substaintially address issues with the BEMI easel, waiting to place an order until AFTER those improvements are done (and verified to have been corrected) makes a lot of sense.

w00t

From a post elsewhere in the FS Section late July 2015):

M-Prod wrote:
" I found this thread thinking there are current quality issues with the Easels. I contacted BEMI/Alex about this and he assured me all of the issues found by low-gain have been fixed for some time now (the easel that Low gain bought was an old one). Just to set things straight and to prevent others from thinking current easels are being built like the ("before") pictures above. They are not anymore.
trax
legionhwp wrote:
Re: "Lowgain" hardware mods to new BEMI Easels:

Has it been verified by any actual Easel owner who purchased and received a new unit in 2015 that current BEMI 208 units have all "low gain" improvements in them.

I have seen no pictures posted by BEMI or evidence either way. Today TRAX posted his low gain easel FS saying there are still issues with the BEMI Easels. (Did he post his comparison yet?). As far as I know there is no public post or confirmation from BEMI they have addressed these concerns.

Given the track record it would be wonderful to see independent verification that new BEMI easel has these structural and other issues addressed. If everything is fixed posting proof in this thread would go a long way to rehabilitating BEMI's Easel issues.

Elsewhere in this forum someone argued "why NOT place an Order with BEMI?" arguing the waiting list and delivery times will be what they are and placing an order now at least gets you closer to buying one. I would say that if there are promised hardware upgrades that substaintially address issues with the BEMI easel, waiting to place an order until AFTER those improvements are done (and verified to have been corrected) makes a lot of sense.

w00t

From a post elsewhere in the FS Section late July 2015):

M-Prod wrote:
" I found this thread thinking there are current quality issues with the Easels. I contacted BEMI/Alex about this and he assured me all of the issues found by low-gain have been fixed for some time now (the easel that Low gain bought was an old one). Just to set things straight and to prevent others from thinking current easels are being built like the ("before") pictures above. They are not anymore.

My short answer before getting into a pissing contest with my comparison that I really don't want to post (because it is not going to be nice - and I am the biggest BEMI/BUCHLA 200e fan boy ever - its my favorite synth and I put my money where my mouth is with a very large system (s)) The Easels are still build no where near what LOW-GAIN did to this thing. thumbs up

I am still hoping that BEMI continues to work on quality so we can buy with confidence *every time* and put threads like this to rest. But until then - i will continue constructive criticism with all this modular shit - and hold them to the same professional standard I am being held to in "my job".

I love Buchla and will continue to spend my money with BEMI - AND i will continue to send the shit back until they get it right. . . but this is not just a BEMI problem - its an issue through out the modular world with zero professional standards and quality systems in place....

In my years of playing with this stuff - I have gotten bad builds from STS to Doepfer - nothing has been perfect 100% of the time - but I always work with the vendor to get it corrected and they always do.

Dealing with BEMI is great! Very responsive and always fix issues - but they need to get it right the first time!

Soooo...

Q: Would I buy a new BEMI easel -

YES! They are awesome + fun thanks BEMI and DON! - if you want a new one watch NoiseBug.net - they seem to be getting new ones every other week!!!! No wait!

Q: Are the new BEMI EASELS rolling off the assembly line as good as the LOW-GAIN improvements.

No, not even close.

w00t
Knarzwaltz
Don Buchla loves wobbly knobs, Don Buchla loves plywood, Don Buchla didn't want to improve much on the Easel design but keeping close to original. Original had issues (noise etc). Don Buchlas creations where far from perfect including quality control on shit expensive gear.

Everybody nags about these issues and more...but everybody love Buchla design

d'oh! seriously, i just don't get it lol
trax
lol
momo
@knarzwaltz: to be fair to Don, the wobbly knobs were specced for their durability and the fact they turn with a feather touch i.e. really easily. Having modules with both old (wobbly) pots and newer stiff ones, I love how easily the old ones rotate - I can literally use the edge of my little finger. The others need a definite grab to rotate! I love that Don considered how the user would interact with the thing.

Also marine ply is super durable - if you want something to look pretty I guess mahogony, oak, boxwood etc. is the choice, but if you want to make an instrument folk will actually want to lug around with a bunch of other stuff then marine ply is probably the way to go.

Fanboy out!! Cheers.
mritenburg
Given that Don has extensive experience in human factors and ergonomics, one has to wonder if Buchla instruments are intentionally designed to feel fragile/delicate so that perceptually the performer treats them as fragile/delicate instruments?

Contrast that with the Wiard 300. To quote Grant Richter "you can mount a Wiard 300 in a sturdy flight case, throw it down a stairwell, and then use it like nothing had happened."
thesnow
don't you all know that every eurorack user on this forum knows more than don buchla
trax
mritenburg wrote:
Given that Don has extensive experience in human factors and ergonomics, one has to wonder if Buchla instruments are intentionally designed to feel fragile/delicate so that perceptually the performer treats them as fragile/delicate instruments?

Seriously?

As you know (you have been a new school Buchla owner (like myself) from day '0' - and know that Don basically had people with zero manufacturing knowledge assemble these thing. (I cant even count the number of times I have received modules from both Buchla and BEMI that have missing lock washers - so when you transport you system it falls apart in your trunk lol ) - 200e owners you better look now! the sekret is out!) You also know that the new BEMI is still not shipping shit that works 100% (the unit you got from noisebug last month)

From what I see (as a buchla owner since 2005) is most of the problems people bitch about are human assembly issues. (someone is just not paying attention / and/or gives a shit / having a boo hoo bad day.)

thumbs up
thetwlo
Knarzwaltz wrote:
Don Buchla didn't want to improve much on the Easel design but keeping close to original.

Really, are you sure? I heard Don had ZERO to do with the new version. I thought he was actually against(or at least indifferent to) it even happening.
Guidotoons
I'm wide awake in this dream. I'm typing and wide awake.

Don is massaging my shoulders while Mort serenades us with the theme from 'M*A*S*H*" on a 200e. All is well until the modulation before the chorus, when (your personal Jesus here) runs onstage clutching the rarest of rare 100 Series modules, "Winged Trianguluum Generator". It is basically an MS-20 in a 4 wide panel. He patches it in and Mort screams at him to stop. He runs sheepishly from the stage and immediately sells the module to a European buyer, who puts it on Ebay and ends up parting it out.

About that time, Ken Kesey turned into a butterfly and flew onto Don's shoulder. Don smiled, knowingly, and gently blew the butterflied Kesey towards a giant fan, where he was blown into orbit.

Yeah. That's what happened, man.

The End
Slabwax
Guidotoons wrote:

Don is massaging my shoulders while Mort serenades us with the theme from 'M*A*S*H*" on a 200e. All is well until the modulation before the chorus, when (your personal Jesus here) runs onstage clutching the rarest of rare 100 Series modules, "Winged Trianguluum Generator". It is basically an MS-20 in a 4 wide panel. He patches it in and Mort screams at him to stop. He runs sheepishly from the stage and immediately sells the module to a European buyer, who puts it on Ebay and ends up parting it out.

About that time, Ken Kesey turned into a butterfly and flew onto Don's shoulder. Don smiled, knowingly, and gently blew the butterflied Kesey towards a giant fan, where he was blown into orbit.

The End

No thing better then a tab on a Friday evening.
ttown23
Slabwax wrote:
Guidotoons wrote:

The End

No thing better then a tab on a Friday evening.

SlayerBadger!
chorus7
Might seem like a silly question but has anyone compared the circuitry or board design of the new Easel to the old one? or to one of the clones? Does it differ much?

Again hopefully not a totally silly question...
richard
Guidotoons wrote:

The End

one of your more coherent posts Guido
yaosichen
this is mine but i don't think i know what it is
ttown23
MechaSeb wrote:
ttown23 wrote:
the Korg Trident (which I just restored) had both a UA726HC and a TEMPCO.

Interesting. Do you think it was out from factory like this or it has been added by any tech later ?

Yes; for sure out of the factory. Actually, that TEMPCO was problematic and had to be replaced, but now the tracking is quite good for this synth.
ttown23
yaosichen wrote:
this is mine but i don't think i know what it is

Yours has the SSM adapter board in place of the UA726HC.
suckspit
can someone please point me where this lowgain mods are?
curious but can't seem to find it...
Guidotoons
richard wrote:

one of your more coherent posts Guido

Thanks.

That means so much coming from a guy that has 6800+ posts.

I must really be 'getting it', then!

Thanks for taking the time to congratulate me!

Cheers!
felixer
lol i love this forum. other people watch cheers, i read this hihi or wait, it's like the muppetshow: the continuing stoooooory of an easel that went to the dogs Mr. Green sorry (hides) please continue ....
Duplan
Back to the technical aspects...

I find my Easel is tuned very high, does anyone know if there is a way to tune both oscillators something like one octave lower ? Trimmer of something ?

It's a problem because :
- I can't get any super low notes with the "red" VCO (and going into ultra-high frequency territory is of no use for me)
- in LFO mode, the modulation oscillator is never slow enough

I've heard that more recent Easels were tuned one octave lower...

Is there any way to make the release of the Lopass gate a bit longer ? (I'm talking with the shortest enveloppe, and in "combination" mode)

Cheers help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next [all]
Page 44 of 45