MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The New Buchla Music Easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next [all]
Author The New Buchla Music Easel
Rod Serling Fan Club
chrisso wrote:
I would like to know what the actual constituent modules are. Hard to be sure from the pics.
Same as original Easel or different/modified?

Based on the pictures it is basically the same as the original with a few small changes. Is thats what you means or are you asking for a breakdown of the easel functions?

Individual functions, roughly are:
program card for "presets"
5 stage sequencer
Envelope generator (3 stage)
Pulser (trigger generator)
Random voltage source
Complex oscillator (not as complex as a 259, but lot's going on including a balanced modulator from the external in, "timbre" waveshaper, FMing, etc.)
voltage inverter
Dual LPG
Mixer
Spring reverb
keyboard with protamento, appreggiator, preset voltage sources
Slabwax
elmegil wrote:
How do the programming cards work? I'm fairly ignorant of Buchla stuff, so if there's a standard answer I'd be happy with just a link.

+1, I was just about to ask the same question.
Entrainer
OK, next question...

availability..
We talking a year? 6 months?

Bowen Solaris prototype to public was like 2-3 years IIRC.
xpander
here's a link to a PDF of the original manual. card programming is under "meta-programming", page 23.

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/buchla/PaMtEO.pdf

franzschuier
Looks as if its not mountable in a 200e System, which s a bummer...
sempervirent
Almost as surprising as the "low" price is the retention of the removable cards for preset storage. Strange choice. Looks like some knobs are gray and some are blue, 200e style, so I guess not settings are stored in the preset.

What I meant to say was: $4K? *looks around studio for things to sell*

GeoffC wrote:
I wonder if they/someone will republish the Allen Strange book on the Music Easel; it would be great to be able to buy a good clear copy of that book.

Here's a pretty clear PDF version:
http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Buchla/PaMtEO.pdf
sascha.victoria
franzschuier wrote:

Why so? Looks like 2x 4 panel boats in there. The original 208 was pretty deep but if they used SMT they should have been able to make it slimmer.
cbm
franzschuier wrote:

Why do you say this? Have I missed something? I've just been imagining what I would add to this ins a Skylab case and a 12 space case as my ultimate portable rig.
franzschuier
Do the screws align? i thought they are to evenly spaced.
chrisso
For me this makes most sense as a self contained portable Buchla.
Of course you could slave it to a bigger system any time, but racking it would be somewhat pointless IMHO.
PF
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
they will sell very many of these, i should think. no??

woah

Buchla is the new Volvo...
xpander
franzschuier wrote:
Do the screws align? i thought they are to evenly spaced.

apparently the case they'll ultimately be in is not what they have at NAMM. it's probably a prototype hack.
richard
I honestly never, ever thought this would happen, though with some "external" commercial pressure on Don to clean up on his own legacy and make something a lot of people will actually buy it more than makes sense. Demand will be high, I hope they can deal with it.

It depends on the sonics of course (I'm not a huge 200e fan really) but for the first time in my life I'm gonna say I think I will own a Buchla music easel one day. Much as I love the Serge, it is not a gigging instrument and that is really what I need.

I won't buy one new though, they'll be all over the BST in 18 months hihi

and ermm, this thing badly needs a blue case!
cbm
I think the screws might work in a standard boat. If you look at the original 208, it has similar spacing.

@chrisso - while this will be great stand-alone, it would also make a great foundation for a slightly larger performance system.
numan7
thumbs up supercalifragilisticexpialidocious baby!!!! BOOM!

cheers
xpander
via brandon daniel:

"I was told that the new presto patch card has the bluetooth, and this will allow for remote digital patch storage/recall as well as real time control."
Macron
218e design is epic fail, I think, very sad...waah
How it is can be? After 222e (and many more awesome touch controllers before!) made this piece of crap? seriously, how it happen? Who made this?
not this shit again
Kent

I've got a 3 year old daughter. As such, I've been getting rather good at playing 'Spot The Difference' games. Let's play one now, but I'll suggest dispensing with minor things like font differences, knobs, jack colors, etc. Let's look for the interesting things, shall we?

• The silkscreening for the 3 waveform types in the "Timbre" section differ. The original has Spike, Square & Triangle.
• The current unit has 4 switches in the oscillator section.

Anyone else wanna play?
Kent
Macron wrote:
How it is can be? After 222e (and many more awesome touch controllers before!) made this piece of crap? seriously, how it happen? Who made this?
not this shit again

How so? What on earth are you talking about? Additionally, why would you not be more careful with the words you use to express your alarm and amazement? "piece of crap" is totally unwarranted and is an insult to the people that just busted their humps in getting this product to the market.

Also, try to not use the latest in worn out internet speak. "Epic Fail"? Please look up the words "epic" and "fail". I normally cut those without native English skills a lot of slack, but I'll make an exception in your case as you are being reactionary and callous.

Picard emoticon indeed.
Matos
nanners
I'm with Richard though. I'll bide my time until one pops up is BST. Till then I'll watch from the sidelines greatly enjoys the many riches of euro.
MN3005
Macron wrote:
not this shit again

My guess is you've never played with a 218.
Spiked Lunch
Also very much interested but want to hear/see more and get some post honeymoon reports before I flood the B/S/T.

I really like the idea of a small, self contained system.
franzschuier
chrisso wrote:
For me this makes most sense as a self contained portable Buchla.
Of course you could slave it to a bigger system any time, but racking it would be somewhat pointless IMHO.

Analog Buchla Osc's. If the sound of the 267e is a glimpse how the Osc will sound on this one.... nanners
Isabelle Gall
It looks absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad they stuck with the original design for this reason (particularly the red and blue of the 218e).

Exciting also as if they're willing to redo the Easel in this way then perhaps they're considering a 259 reissue amongst others, who knows? In any case, congratulations are in order today to Don and all at BEMI.
sempervirent
Kent wrote:
Anyone else wanna play?

Arpeggiator on the new one, along with four preset voltages on the top right of the 218e instead of three.

Knobs on the 218e have no pointers, might be encoders?

Also worth noting, "Buchla Electronic Musical Instruments" on the lower right of the top panel (first appearance of this new brand on hardware I believe).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next [all]
Page 2 of 45