MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quad Plague Bearer holy crap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Quad Plague Bearer holy crap
slow_riot
This device is simply spellbinding. I wanted to get a little music device as sometimes when my main synth is all patched up it's nice to spend some time away from it to clear my head without the worry of forcing composition. Also planning to get a little battery powered speaker so can take the thing out and about.

Anyways, the sounds. Wow, wow wow. You can get full on dense beautiful controllable drones out of this thing. And I'm sure I've only scratched the surface.

It's funny, I've had 5 Plague's come through my euro set up but they never fully clicked and I ended up selling them. But 4 in a box makes an incredible instrument. The limitations of the filter now become advantages if you use it right. Look forward to finding more.
oskies
Can you post some sounds? My PB is just sitting in a
corner and I'm one of those that doesn't get it seriously, i just don't get it . Yet.
slow_riot
sure thing. give me a couple of days/weeks.

I'm lucky that I've spent a lot of time with the PBs as euro modules, so I already know a lot of the 'tricks' that it can do, and the necessary minor fiddling that will determine whether you get silence, garbage, beauty or anything in between. Eg output to input will give you an oscillator with variable tone.

In the mean time, try this.

2 leftmost PBs are set to self oscillate via the method I mentioned. It will self oscillate really easily, and there are a number of different ways to vary the tones.

PB 3 has input at zero, with the other knobs set in the position described in the manual to give variable noise. The output of this goes into PB 4 with the input level really high. PB 4 is the output stage.

Now, with your 2 oscillator PBs, send the output of PB1 to modulate High on PB3, and PB2 modulates High of PB 4.

You will need to do a lot of fiddling. Sometimes you get silence, and sometimes the oscillation of one or both oscillator PBs are silenced, because they rely on the PB that they are modulating to be in a certain position for them to be audible. And all the parameters seem to interact and influence each other.

Anyways, this is the basic patch that I am using at the moment, and will give a LOT of variations. I've found tones that are bigger than a Sunn 0))) concert where they require 100 KGs more equipment and much more men in robes that the PB does. Good luck!
oskies
Thanks for the elaborate reply. Will definitely try some of the feedback
tricks, and I can totally see the point of having 4 of them in a separate case - limitations and inspiration and all that.

But I still wonder if I cannot get most, if not all, of the filtering and fsu with
an ordinary filter + feedback loops - for example, feedback loops in the toppo multifilter allow for an extremely wide pallet. I recently had some
real long decay time Sunn O))) type of sounds going - will try to see if I can recreate that patch.

In the meantime, maybe we can turn this into a big O'Malley inspired thread ;-)
reppiks
i've just ordered a Quad PB - CAN'T WAIT!!
Tsarik
i have gotten some insane results out of my Quad Plague Bearer.. but ultimately it has been a hard beast to tame... hell.. i would be happy if i could just get a wider variety of usable results more often

i definitely blame myself and not the device.. this thread has inspired me to play with it some more... i fully intend to go from very frustrating to this SlayerBadger! in a few hours... and ultimately end up @ MY ASS IS BLEEDING
burnn_out!
I owned for probably two years now. All I can say is that in use of a single channel or all four at once, its very delicate and sensitive to settings. The best results usually involve keeping off the gain and input volume. In most cases the input volume is almost none existent in most patches. It's strength in my mind comes from how vesitile it can be. Typical routings for me:.use of each channel individually, two sources using dual PB's, one source routed thru 3 or 4 PB's, and of course any variant of the above use a PB as the sound source...
HeWhoWantsJeans
burnn_out! wrote:
I owned for probably two years now. All I can say is that in use of a single channel or all four at once, its very delicate and sensitive to settings. The best results usually involve keeping off the gain and input volume. In most cases the input volume is almost none existent in most patches. It's strength in my mind comes from how vesitile it can be. Typical routings for me:.use of each channel individually, two sources using dual PB's, one source routed thru 3 or 4 PB's, and of course any variant of the above use a PB as the sound source...

Yep - if you keep the Input low and crank the Gain, that's how you get the most character out of the PB. Dead Banana
obscurerobot
I just received my second plague bearer, and built a mini-plague system:
  • A-143-2
  • PB v3.3
  • PB v3.3
  • CVP
  • Outs

All in a TT Happy Ending Kit.

Not sure if I want to add two more PBs to this mini rack, or go for a standalone quad.
chvad
Digging up an old thread to just say... I just got one of the final Quad Plague Bearers (5/10) from Flight and it really is true... I've had single Plague Bearers... double Plague Bearers... but the magic number is really four. This thing is just a mangling monstrosity. So so awesome. Wasn't sure I'd get my hands on one but glad I did!

EarlJemmings
Yeah, mine came in a few days ago (2/10). Holy. I've just had it plugged into a matrix mixer with some sloths and random sources controlling various parameters.
This thing is just what my live set ordered.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1