MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using illustrator for panel designs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Using illustrator for panel designs
wetterberg
hey all,

I'm *just* getting into illustrator here (yay, new software to learn d'oh! )
And I was wondering if any of you beautiful people had some illustrator files you could share?
I'm looking mainly for hole layouts, that sort of thing.

I will have access to a newly constructed diy CNC machine soon, and it will be able to load illustrator files.
Waz
Bump! I just received illustrator as well.
Luka
couple of tips

when you create your page set it to a particular size in either inches or mm

if you goto preferences \ guides & grid you can set your grid for you holes
to create holes of a certain size you

to create holes of certain sizes hold down the rectangle tool in the floating tool bar and it will come up with a few different shapes, pick circle, then double click where you want. it will ask you for measurements of the circle. and now you have a drill hole.

just make a library of all sizes
scozbor
corel draw is much better i think! surprise
i do all my fronts in illustrator,what do u mean with 'hole layouts'?
parasitk
scozbor wrote:
corel draw is much better i think! surprise

Then go start your own damn thread! hihi

I use Illustrator too (started with album artwork, and now includes synth panels!) and yeah the symbol library is your friend. Save everything you make so you can easily reuse it.
emergencyofstate
@parasitk

do you have an .ai files you could share perhaps? I'm thinking about designing my own panels but i'm not positive what guidelines to follow. I use photoshop/illustrator myself for work all day.

oh, and how many inches/millimeters does HP represent again?
rezzn8r
emergencyofstate wrote:

oh, and how many inches/millimeters does HP represent again?

lol

Adobe should just add HP as a measurment unit in Illustrator. It would be more relevent than picas. hihi
parasitk
emergencyofstate wrote:
@parasitk

do you have an .ai files you could share perhaps? I'm thinking about designing my own panels but i'm not positive what guidelines to follow. I use photoshop/illustrator myself for work all day.

I started a DIY graphic depot thread a little while back that only one person noticed razz

But unless you're doing 4U Serge style panels, I'm not sure how much help full .ai files will be. I can toss up my Davies 1900H and 1913BW knobs in that thread – that might be handy regardless of format.
4mspedals
Here's a eurorack layout i did in illustrator for the first version of the noise swash. I use a layer for each type of element, e.g. a Knob layer, a Pot layer, a Panel outline layer, and Artwork layer...

http://www.commonsound.com/swash/ModSwash/eurorack_16HP.ai

Also there's a lot of Illustrator-friendly PDF files for all our other devices on commonsound.com/kits[/url]
bubblesound
the best resource for eurorack panels is doepfer. click on products and then look for the mechanical details link. that'll take you to all the size and mounting hole guidelines you'll need. it' been essential to me.
here are a couple of blanks that i use i think they're 10HP 14HP and 18 or 20HP. pretty standard sizes...
jarvis
nice bubblesound, thanks for that. i like how you've got little pots hiding under the front panel too! are those mockups of alpha 16mm pots?
4mspedals
yeah alpha 16mm and 24mm. big ones!
emergencyofstate
I just checked back on this thread and there are goodies w00t

thanks so much for sharing this stuff everyone. we're not worthy
spbaker
here is my still yet unmade cgs wave thingy, its based on a few other DIY things so the pot spacing should be right, but make sure you make a cardboard one to test first as i hold no liability or responsibility for DIY "can't make it fit" frustration Dead Banana

also Illustrator pwns Corel "i'm a cheap bastrd" Draw razz
bubblesound
jarvis wrote:
nice bubblesound, thanks for that. i like how you've got little pots hiding under the front panel too! are those mockups of alpha 16mm pots?

thanks, yeah, they're the alpha 16MM right angle PCB mount. smallbear has them here
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=692
i love these things, no wiring and they take care of the how do i mount the PCB to the panel question.
one of the best investments i've made was buying a digital caliper. i can measure parts very accurately now and that makes the redraw in illustrator a lot easier and faster.
zthee
Here's a Serge style layout.
parasitk
Guys, now we have two threads where people are sharing files. Maybe more sharing in the other thread, and more talk about techniques here? Or maybe merge the two threads? Or something? I dunno. hmmm.....
astroschnautzer
zthee wrote:
Here's a Serge style layout.
Perfect.
wetterberg
thank you all!
Luka+parasitk, thanks for that, I'm doing the very lame online tutorials that are out there, but none of them specifically teach technical drawing (if any of you see one that does, please let me know)
parasitk
wetterberg wrote:
thank you all!
Luka+parasitk, thanks for that, I'm doing the very lame online tutorials that are out there, but none of them specifically teach technical drawing (if any of you see one that does, please let me know)

Honestly all I do is draw lines on the screen. If that constitutes "technical drawing", then I have something to add to my resume! This is fun!

Flight sent me a bunch of component symbols a while back that I use - jacks, pots, etc, but I would not feel comfortable sharing them unless he was okay with it.

Since then I have gotten better at drawing my own components, sometimes by tracing a tech drawing from spec sheet or something. For example, I was messing with a Living VCOs layout and wanted to include vector counting/vernier dials. I found the dial I wanted to use, opened the tech PDF from the company that makes it, imported that into Illustrator, and did the Live Trace thing. Messed with the settings until it looked right, then Expanded it so I could tweak it by hand. Then I Grouped it, and made it a symbol thingy. If none of that makes sense, I can try to break it down more. I'm bad at explaining things via typing. help

//Chris
bubblesound
parasitk wrote:
Guys, now we have two threads where people are sharing files. Maybe more sharing in the other thread, and more talk about techniques here? Or maybe merge the two threads? Or something? I dunno. hmmm.....

a couple of things that i use all the time when doing panel graphics...

lots of paste in front and paste behind(command F and command B on a mac)
this comes in REALLY handy when i'm redrawing parts.

and the transform tool window is extremely helpful, too.

by using paste in front and then changing the size of what you just pasted in the transform window you can create concentric circles and squares very easily.

the align palette is great for getting things equally spaced, and if you're trying to equally space out an object made of several parts, like a dial with individual hash marks, just group it(command G) copy it several times, set one at the left egde, one at the right edge and leave the others in the middle. use the center align button and all your dials are equally spaced.

the best thing is just practice. that and using lots of layers. you can never use too many. really.
parasitk
Okay I actually have an Illustrator/panel-in-general question:

I'm laying out the Ryktnk m185 sequencer in Serge format, and I'll be using rotary switches instead of the square/blocky ones. But honestly, I don't know where to label the individual switch positions.

In other words, when I select "Ping Pong" mode, I'd like the knob to be actually pointing at the word "Ping Pong" and not just in its general direction.

How does one figure out these things?

Thanks!
bubblesound
if your rotary switch has a datasheet it should tell you the amount of rotation per turn. let's say it's a 3 position and each position is a 40degree turn. i would draw a vertical line for the middle position. copy and paste that in front. select the new line, click on the rotate tool and rotate that line 40 degrees. paste in front again, select new line, rotate -40 degrees. as long as the middle point of all 3 lines are at the same point you've got 3 lines that should match the positions of the switch. to make sure the centers are aligned go into preview mode and you'll see a small X at the center of each line and make sure they over lap, you'll want to be zoomed in all the way.

when i do this sort of thing i print out what i've come up with, cut a hole for the switch or pot and mount it through the paper to see if i'm getting close.
hope that wasn't too confusing...
parasitk
bubblesound wrote:
if your rotary switch has a datasheet it should tell you the amount of rotation per turn. let's say it's a 3 position and each position is a 40degree turn. i would draw a vertical line for the middle position. copy and paste that in front. select the new line, click on the rotate tool and rotate that line 40 degrees. paste in front again, select new line, rotate -40 degrees. as long as the middle point of all 3 lines are at the same point you've got 3 lines that should match the positions of the switch. to make sure the centers are aligned go into preview mode and you'll see a small X at the center of each line and make sure they over lap, you'll want to be zoomed in all the way.

when i do this sort of thing i print out what i've come up with, cut a hole for the switch or pot and mount it through the paper to see if i'm getting close.
hope that wasn't too confusing...

Hey, thanks. That completely made sense: I need to pick a switch and check the data sheet. Rotating and the actual Illustrator work is easy!

And yes, I've been doing paper layouts – very handy!

//Chris
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2