MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Best 12AX7
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author The Best 12AX7
Muff Wiggler
I just put a new V1 tube into my amp and i'm BLOWN THE HELL AWAY

it's a NOS 1960's dutch-made Amperex Bugle Boy.

I was expecting a nice tube - and I got that, but also something i didn't expect....

with this tube, i am able to GREATLY increase the tone control on my amp. I've got a single tone control, just a treble cut. That's all this amp needs. I've tried 4 or 5 modern/reissue tubes in there, and they were all pretty samey, the reissue Tung-Sol probably being the quietest, at least.

Anyway, with all the modern tubes I tried, I can only raise the tone control to about 5, 5.5 or so (it goes to 11). Higher and I get the harsh, brittle 'ice-pick' trebles that I'm sure you all know. So I balance out that harshness with lowering the tone control, as we all probably do.

Anyway, with the Bugle Boy installed - and I found this out by accident - I can go WAY higher on the tone control without any sign of ice-pick. In fact, I can set it right to 11, and there's no harshness. But that's hard to get used to lol Over the past few days since I've been getting into the new sound, it's gone from 7 to 8 and now it's at 9.

The sound of the amp without such a treble cut - and no harsheness to speak of - is just incredible.. I still look at the tone knob and think "no! that's too high!", but when I use my ears, there's NO reason to set it lower

just incredible. If you get a chance, try one of these tubes out.

also cool - i have a 1950's Mullard 12ax7 in the phase inverter socket - both these two tubes do a really cool 'bright flash' for a brief moment when first powered up - sorta looks like a flashlight quickly turning on and then off inside my amp. Eric tells me this is a true sign of the real vintage article, and that tube collectors are still arguing why the tubes were built to do this during the era
felix
Awesome! Was this an ebay find or is a place to score them?
Muff Wiggler
I got 'em at Vacuum Tube Valley, which is where I've picked up all my tubes - so the genuine factor was never in question, but it's cool to know about the flash as a way to tell counterfeits...

i've grabbed a few back issues of VTV magazine as well, which is quite fascinating, and there's lots of great info from Eric in each issue as well
Muff Wiggler
made a crappy little video of the power-on flash of glowness....

https://www.muffwiggler.com/swart/glow.avi
felix
neato!
J.w.M.
Mouth-watering.
Muff Wiggler
it's the mullard in the phase inverter socket that REALLY lights up

the Amperex in V1 does the same sort of flash, but not nearly as bright. On it's own - it's very striking, but when the Mullard is in there, the flash of the Amperex is completely obscured by the much stronger flash of the Mullard.
Kwote
forget all that. i just wanna know what news radio show you were listening to in the background.
Muff Wiggler
oops actually, haha, I was on the phone with my boss while i made that video (I guess it was a boring call?), that's him talking through my cellphone, which is wedged to my ear using my shoulder, so that I could operate the camera, and the amp's power switch lol
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
oops actually, haha, I was on the phone with my boss while i made that video (I guess it was a boring call?), that's him talking through my cellphone, which is wedged to my ear using my shoulder, so that I could operate the camera, and the amp's power switch lol

if he only knew.
felix
"Muff....Muff...are you there?....Is that a NOS Amperex I hear flashing on in the background!?! evil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1