MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PEQ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author PEQ
BugBrand
OK - all very interesting (and kind!).

What has constantly de-railed my thoughts has been making a stereo version a bit more ...bug... - the usual imagination running away and likely over-complexifying it all.

eg - my most prominent idea to date had been something where you'd have a general stereo approach (ie. not really aiming for dual mono independence) - Low & High cut would be straight-up single freq controls, but middle cut-boost bands (2 or 3 or more) would perhaps have some sort of divergence or independence for L/R sides. I never came to anything I was very happy with.

The points brought out here:
-> stepped controls - I'm wondering how this would fit with more general use and I have a feeling that it wouldn't be so easy to have it as an option (unsure on this point)
-> balanced input - shouldn't be too complex at all
->ganging - depends a lot on the overall design approaches, but I can certainly see ways for independent mono / ganged stereo

My gut probably feels more like pursuing something stereo FUN rather than Master quality, but.. all makes me ponder. I certainly would like a proper stereo setup for my own use, so I guess that answers some questions...
richard
I don't think there is anything "bugs" about it and I don't think it matters TBH Tom. I think you have come damned close to creating a great general purpose EQ that could be tweaked for mastering. That is quite a feat for someone who perhaps wasn't really trying! My view is a bit simpler. I like what you've done, go further and I will surely stay with it! Perhaps its not your interest though, I get that too...

I am comparing it with my pair of Amek 9098s BTW - your EQ has more character, more vibe
dogoftears
richard wrote:
I don't think there is anything "bugs" about it and I don't think it matters TBH Tom. I think you have come damned close to creating a great general purpose EQ that could be tweaked for mastering. That is quite a feat for someone who perhaps wasn't really trying! My view is a bit simpler. I like what you've done, go further and I will surely stay with it! Perhaps its not your interest though, I get that too...

I am comparing it with my pair of Amek 9098s BTW - your EQ has more character, more vibe

what he said, for realz!

it has great character but also surgical abilities galore if you go in the reductive direction. i've do some very effective narrow-q cuts in the high end with this thing.
tIB
Not a lot to add really other than my pair have sat on the master bus to excellent effect since getting them in the first run. Very happy with them for that purpose- as I said back them they sound way more expensive than they actually are!

Im interested in the v2's (nadrower right?) but am holding off for a more radical upgrade- all those things would be very nice, the stepped attenuators probably the bit I could most live without, although certainly see the benefit there.

Yes please!
blue_lu
Very intereste in a dedicated stereo version...
lich
just echoing that i would love a stereo version of this or even just a rerelease of the peq 2 tbh
BugBrand
Stereo - I started sketching and thinking exactly how I'd do it - did quite a lot a couple of months back (came up with a lovely powerful layout! but the behind-the-scenes is way more complex than may be imagined..). So, in essence, I ought to get back to the project again..

Regular PEQs (v2, of course) - coming back to availability very soon!
(join the mailing list..)
glia
just hacked together a "dj" set for a family barbeque with this thing and a small mackie...running thru a bass amp

got unexpectedly great sound tho

my brother was trying to figure out how i was getting such clarity in the mids and highs and i pointed at the PEQ

pretty hilarious
BugBrand
Ha! Nice one!
Gringo Starr
So there is a stereo pair in the works? Ever consider making a rack?
rodneyelevator
My buddy just picked up a PEQ from you yesterday. Needless to say I was straight to his house after work for some wiggling.

What an absolute beast of a box! You really have outdone yourself on the design for this one.
I cannot believe how many awful sounds we threw at this box and a few tweaks later, boom, they sound warm and lovely.

If some more become available I will definitely be buying one.

And to anyone else that is thinking about...

Don't even think about it, just buy it!
ginorobair
Second that!

thumbs up
rodneyelevator wrote:

Don't even think about it, just buy it!
BugBrand
Thanks Rodney!
I actually do mean to get one in Elevator sound for ongoing demo, but I never quite seem to get ahead (maybe you were in last time I popped in to chat with Marko?)
I've got a few more to finish up imminently, so drop me a line (email best) - can easily drop one down to the shop.
Ta, Tom
mafouka
Lots of unconditional love for my PEQ. . . It's extremely useful for sculpting modular sounds or phattening up cheap gear with weak signals.

A stereo version would be the bugs knees indeed. . . Especially considering the un-affordability of rotary mixers like the djm400.
BugBrand
Cheers!
Believe me, I've been playing a lot with simulations to try to figure how to do a stereo version - but it is way more complex than the mono one -> lots and lots of VCAs [4 or 5 per mono band - so could be 30-40 for a stereo unit!]
Weird world those rotary mixers.. That DJR400 has popped onto my radar a few times.
flo
Two mates of mine once tried to get a four channel hi quality DJ mixer running with an isolator, similar to the DJR400. Ended up costing a lot more for a half-working prototype that they never finished...
harlequin
+1 for stereo PEQ!

Features for me:

Ganged controls.
Envelopes
Voltage controll
BugBrand
It is a slow cook, for sure - because I've got four or five major areas of investigation ongoing.

I have just about zoned in on the actual filtering design - very close to my state-variable cores, but with some particular tweaks such as constant amplitude as Q varies.
Still need to finalise the exact method for +/- gain.

This is looking at it in a building-block approach - the same filter & gain blocks are used for each band (with just a few changes for changing from a bell to a shelf).

As I say, very heavy on the VCAs!

Current idea is to have a 5FW mono unit and a full frame stereo unit which could be twin mono or switched for ganged stereo.
Each would likely be four bands (outer two either shelving or switchable bell/shelf - mid two just bell), maybe with additional Hi/Lo-pass filtering bookending (not sure how to fit that)
Full Balanced I/O.

VC parts would be:
- Freq per band
- Gain (+/-) per band
--- I would almost certainly not put VC-resonance even though the circuit could allow it.

Given that it is so VCA intensive (and a big-ass project that won't be finished within 6 months at the very earliest -- and because I'm interested in other EQ-ing areas so have been thinking outside the PEQ bounds) I did a test idea up -- it was a bit of a failure but could be an avenue to pursue further (as I say, different from the PEQ)

Stereo (balanced I/O), each side gets split into 8 bands (BP filters) with each band followed by a VCA (ganged control). Exact freq-band choices was slightly top-of-head with approx 2.5 oct spacing - has already been suggested going above 20kHz - or maybe adding switching per-band (do-able but greatly increases expense/complexity)

My failures in this iteration:::
- should have implemented linear amplitude control - easy to fix
- bands were way too wide.. far too much interaction between bands.. must think again about suitable BP design
[the saturate switch was just to see what it sounded like with zener clipping on the output summing stage - not sure on that side of things for now]

Would be interesting to hear comments..

blue_lu
WOW! Very sexy!

So the bands are fixed (as oposed to the original PEQ design)?
BugBrand
Yep - it is like a stereo fixed filter bank (with VCA summing mixer)
glia
good gracious I want that
wednesdayayay
I have been dreaming about red bug boxes to go with my ciat lonbarde setup this is very interesting

As I have promised myself I wouldn't buy any sound sources for a while but this fits nicely into loop hole territory applause

What voltages will the banana jacks expect?
tIB
Interesting stuff- the picture has a look of a bug riff on (half of) a buchla 296. The interesting thing in that (to me) is ability to vary the bandwidth- sounds amazing when you take the bands really narrow and vc the frequency. I knownyou dont have variable bandwidth planned at this point but well, ill mention it anyway. Also, pushing this to the edge of resonance would be amazing- again, not the way you are taking it but...

I do like a fixed filter bank though and will watch how this develops.
blue_lu
glia wrote:
good gracious I want that

+1
wednesdayayay
I have never messed with something like this so I can't really help with suggestions too much
Expander with individual band outs would be rad banana or otherwise
Pre vca stereo outs?
Expander envelope follower per band we're not worthy
Just throwing things out there
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5