MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Who wants a new Arp 2600 besides ME?!?!?!?!?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Who wants a new Arp 2600 besides ME?!?!?!?!?!
Guidotoons
With the excitement of Buchla's re-issuing the Music Easel I was wondering who else besides me would be interested in an Arp 2600 reissue?

An exact reissue of the classic for, say around $4-5K?

Hmmm?

Comments?

I would be all over something like that....
polyroy
As long as they keep the original knobs and don't change the font.
Guidotoons
polyroy wrote:

I just spit a Cherry Coke Zero through my nose.

Thanks......
taco blocko
polyroy wrote:
darenager
86% of the size, midi and all sliders to send CCs.
AntManBee
I just want the 3620 that those inept fuckers at USPS lost for me in October of last year!

Really, the ARP 2600 is the last remaining synthesizer from the past that is crying out for a reissue. I suspect though that the ownership of the brand and designs is at least half of the problem here - didn't CBS buy what was left of ARP when they went bust?

I rerally can't imagine Sony or whoever now owns CBS issuing an ARP 2600 and who would be mad enough to buy or license the rights and raise the necessary start-up funds even if it was all made in China (which probably wouldn't work with the type of production run the 2600 would justify)?

Arturia is the best bet I think given that they make a virtual version and a hardware mono synth.
burnn_out!
Why not? It's not like it wouldn't sell. Oberheim's SEM is back and now the korg ms-20 and buchla music easel. Seems like the timing would be perfect. Plus depending how it came together, it would seem reasonable that it would be around $3000 or cheaper*.

* basing that off the general market of modern semi-mods out there.
ttown23
Nah, don't need a reissue. I already have a tonus logo ARP 2600 hihi
Morley
They could reissue the lab series!

AntManBee
They could issue the Centaur...
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I'll take two please. SlayerBadger!
sduck
AntManBee wrote:

Really, the ARP 2600 is the last remaining synthesizer from the past that is crying out for a reissue. I suspect though that the ownership of the brand and designs is at least half of the problem here - didn't CBS buy what was left of ARP when they went bust?

I blame Gibson. Even if they weren't the ones that actually bought ARP and gutted it, I still blame them. In fact I blame them for all that is wrong in the music business. Heck, I even blame them for the way the litter boxes in my house smell.

Is Pearlman still around in any way, shape, or fashion?

edit - this is interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_R._Pearlman
thispoison
Nearly bought a Macbeth M5N as a similar alternative.

Didn't.

Thought I'd wait for a good original.

Still Waiting, so have neither - on that basis I'm in !

very frustrating
thispoison
Oh yeah, Gibson.

Don't I have them to blame for all the worst bits on my OBMX?

Dead Banana
NYMo
Talking of Obmx...does anyone know of somebody that repairs the voice cards ?

Cheers
Just me
I've had two 2600's over the years. I don't want another one now. I would have one over a MiniMoog anyday, however.
hiawog
Morley wrote:
They could reissue the lab series!

i had never heard of this before! thanks.
Why Adapter
Gibson also destroyed Opcode. angry
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Given the current demand for analog gear, and the astronomical prices which the vintage gear is fetching, I'm surprised that all these companies haven't reissued their various classics.

I'd love to see all the ARPs reissued. I just love them little multicoloured sliders!
Just me
The lab series devices are all battery operated. Perfect for busking. See 'em on evilbay on occasion.
beyourdog
sduck wrote:
AntManBee wrote:

I blame Gibson. Even if they weren't the ones that actually bought ARP and gutted it, I still blame them. In fact I blame them for all that is wrong in the music business. Heck, I even blame them for the way the litter boxes in my house smell.

Pearlman is still around in charge of his own company...you ll find him easily on the net...

..Gibson did not kill ARP, read this article, it ll make yourself an idea...ARP kiiled themselves, lack of Management, or too much Management, undercapitalised, wrong decisions and too much expenses on aborted shitty stuff (Centaur, Avatar...)...

A new 80% size ARP2600 would be just great...with switchable filters keeping the modular aspect of the thing...and with SLIDERS...

Waz
Who owns the rights to the schematics and other designs? They went bankrupt in 1981.
sduck
beyourdog wrote:
sduck wrote:
AntManBee wrote:

Pearlman is still around in charge of his own company...you ll find him easily on the net...

..Gibson did not kill ARP, read this article, it ll make yourself an idea...ARP kiiled themselves, lack of Management, or too much Management, undercapitalised, wrong decisions and too much expenses on aborted shitty stuff (Centaur, Avatar...)...

A new 80% size ARP2600 would be just great...with switchable filters keeping the modular aspect of the thing...and with SLIDERS...

Yes, I read that article I linked after typing the first part. All that's in there. I didn't change the first part because I like flinging poo at Gibson whenever possible.
beyourdog
sduck wrote:
beyourdog wrote:
sduck wrote:
AntManBee wrote:

Yes, I read that article I linked after typing the first part. All that's in there. I didn't change the first part because I like flinging poo at Gibson whenever possible.

I understand, that's funny :-)
An ARP 2600 with small sliders and same Sonic capabilities would be awesome,...
I found back more or less the same sonic features with my 5U and the STG lawsuit filter but what I just miss is the sliders...so it is more of an ergonomic thing i would say...
Christopher Winkels
Waz wrote:
Who owns the rights to the schematics and other designs? They went bankrupt in 1981.

Who owns the technology? Effectively no one. Any patents lapsed over a decade ago. There's no real impediment to doing an outright clone from a circuitry perspective.

Trade dress, logos, and the ARP name would still theoretically be covered, though who owns the rights is a mystery to me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15