Buchla + Serge

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Buchla + Serge

Post by sascha.victoria » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Does anyone out there have both Buchla and Serge? After dealing with the grounding issue do they play nicely together? I can address the 1.2 v/oct with my Kenton Pro2000 or Volta.

I'm thinking of getting 2 Buchla oscillators to start out and then grow from there.

alt-mode
Wiggling with Experience

Post by alt-mode » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Buchla likes +0-10V CVs and +10V triggers and gates. Serge/Cynthia/Modcan like -5V - +5V CVs and +5V triggers & gates. You also have to convert the audio signals from 1/8" to banana so you will need at least interface cables, if not a panel for conversion.

So, you can do it and I have but it wasn't a productive workflow for me and I was a bit worried about driving the Serge/Cynthia/Modcan stuff too hard at times.

don h
Wiggling with Experience

Post by don h » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 am

I think my experiences were similar, and for me, at least now, musically counter productive.
There are those out there who have made the combination work though.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 am

Yeah, sounds like it is feasible but it could be a constant pain in the ass. I'll have to think about this some more. Thanks for the info guys!

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:42 pm

I have both and found the musical results after minutes of fiddling with issues to be moderate at best.
I have very successfully integrated my Serge panel with a Modcan and Cynthia system, but the Buchla works best on it's own. At least for me.

drewskee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drewskee » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I am sitting right now listening to a hybrid set of bleeps coming from a integration of a custom panel of serge and a panel of buchla 200e. This is this first time I have actually set them up together and they work GREAT together!!!

The only thing you need to remember is that that Buchla wants to see 0 to +10 and some of the Serge CV's are bipolar. I have my SOU modulating a bunch of things in the Serge and my Dual Random modulating the Buchla.

I have audio going between both panels as well. I am likely going to create a wood case with the two panels and a small thin panel of attenuators, banana to 1/8 converters and some Doepfer CV mixers running of the Serge supply.

The hybrid of these two is truly the best of both worlds...sounds ah-mazing!

prscrptn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by prscrptn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm

drewskee wrote:I am sitting right now listening to a hybrid set of bleeps coming from a integration of a custom panel of serge and a panel of buchla 200e. This is this first time I have actually set them up together and they work GREAT together!!!
let us hear it... :tu:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”