MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Music Easel: Q & A
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Buchla Music Easel: Q & A
blindoldfreak
Hello all,

Given the excitement regarding the easel announcement , I figured I could offer some help, answer some questions and clear doubts on both the original (not the reissue, see note at bottom):
I have owned an easel for quite some time and use it for pleasure and work on a daily basis.

I won't be able to answer right away because of work, but if you feel like you need something please post here and I'll try to answer in a timely fashion (as long as I know the answer!).

If I don't, I am sure the few other owners on muff will be able to help (i.e. Rick and Luther and others I am sure).

Take care,

Alessandro

Note 4/3/13:

Unfortunately BEMI hasn't really involved me in the project yet: i inquired about helping and whatnot but i heard back from them saying they're still working on it, about 3 weeks ago.

I have no idea at what point the project is, unfortunately, and don't know if or when i'll be asked to get involved.

I just wanted to clarify this since i keep on getting private messages asking for info and it's not that i am trying to be secretive...

A
stega
Glad to see your involved!!
numan7
greetings Alessandro!

hmmm..... what is your honest opinion about the spike waveform of the complex oscillator?

do you find it useful with your vintage unit? can you get almost the same associated timbres from the new model (or do you think there's still a chance it will be revived for the production version, if not)?

we're not worthy

cheers
gigasturtz
Can you tell us any more about the special preset card that works with OSC and ipads? Will it work with plain old midi for the simple purpose of syncing to other gear?
blindoldfreak
numan7 wrote:
greetings Alessandro!

hmmm..... what is your honest opinion about the spike waveform of the complex oscillator?

do you find it useful with your vintage unit? can you get almost the same associated timbres from the new model (or do you think there's still a chance it will be revived for the production version, if not)?

we're not worthy

cheers

I'd like for it to be as similar as possible to the original so I know there will be a certain amount of rethinking involved.
Another example is how the mod Osc mod and pitch sliders are inverted on the new one, making the banana input work differently from the original.

Bottom line is that these are prototypes and there'll be a certain amount of changes coming , and I would push for them to be the ones that bring this version closer to the original.
xart
Is the touch plate the same material/function/feel as the 222/223e? hmmm.....
blindoldfreak
gigasturtz wrote:
Can you tell us any more about the special preset card that works with OSC and ipads? Will it work with plain old midi for the simple purpose of syncing to other gear?

I know there are talks of proper midi implementation, built into the case, although I would think it's a bit early to know for sure.
blindoldfreak
xart wrote:

thumbs up

No: the new 218 will be behaving nearly identically to the old one, I believe, besides the added arpeggiator and extra preset voltage pad. This also mean no location, for the ones who asked.
Pressure only. Which is more than you need really, for an instrument like this one....you could always control the 208 with a 222e or 223e if you really wanted to.
exeterdown
Hey blindoldfreak, you're a fairly recent Easel owner am I right?
There's been a bit of talk about how only a few were made, how did you come into yours?

My shot in the dark is inner circle/buchla secret society haha.
Muff Wiggler
Thank you for doing this Alessandro!

Was great to see you again at NAMM - and that was a killer set at the Droid/Trash Audio party. So happy I went!

thanks dude
Bendu
xart wrote:

Xart beat me to it, but I want to know this too.

edit: and you answered before I posted! Thanks! applause
gigasturtz
ps, this is the video that made me want a music easel, so thanks.

blindoldfreak
exeterdown wrote:
Hey blindoldfreak, you're a fairly recent Easel owner am I right?
There's been a bit of talk about how only a few were made, how did you come into yours?

My shot in the dark is inner circle/buchla secret society haha.

three years have passed since i bought mine...i bought it from a friend.
bsmith
Thanks for starting this thread!
In this post Rick shows a proof of concept breakout panel that could be used with a preset card to get at cv control over various parameters - such as the A and D of the envelope generator - do you use anything like this or have some other method at diddling the parameters that don't have a dedicated jack for cv on the panel?
Phalanxe
blindoldfreak wrote:
gigasturtz wrote:

I know there are talks of proper midi implementation, built into the case, although I would think it's a bit early to know for sure.

How about the wifi/ipad/osc/whatever preset card? Maybe it's still too early for info on that/it's more preliminary right now, but I'd be interested to know more if there is any more to know.

Also +1 to the question above about the breakout panel
blindoldfreak
bsmith wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread!
In this post Rick shows a proof of concept breakout panel that could be used with a preset card to get at cv control over various parameters - such as the A and D of the envelope generator - do you use anything like this or have some other method at diddling the parameters that don't have a dedicated jack for cv on the panel?

I've thought about it, but to be honest i haven't had the need for it yet: the easel is a very hands on instrument, so while it's great to be able to,say, control the attack and release via CV, i prefer doing it by hand, in real time.

I am sure i'd play with the "hidden" settings in the card much more if i had a panel like that, but so far i have been happy with the easel as is.
blindoldfreak
Phalanxe wrote:

How about the wifi/ipad/osc/whatever preset card? Maybe it's still too early for info on that/it's more preliminary right now, but I'd be interested to know more if there is any more to know.

Also +1 to the question above about the breakout panel

too early to say, at least on my end.
550b
Thank you so much for doing this, Alessandro!

Question for both you and Rick: at 2:55 in this video, Jeff mentions the new Easel using "the same UA726 exponential converter" as the original:

Isn't the UA726 out of production, and increasingly rare? Curious how BEMI is accomplishing this, and where they are sourcing them from.

Also wondering if there are any other potentially rare parts in this new 'all-analog' Easel that prospective owners might want to keep spares of?
anti_climacus
Hi Alessandro!

Do the preset cards function the same way as the old ones, such as having to solder transistors on the board? Thanks!
blindoldfreak
550b wrote:
Thank you so much for doing this, Alessandro!

Question for both you and Rick: at 2:55 in this video, Jeff mentions the new Easel using "the same UA726 exponential converter" as the original:

Isn't the UA726 out of production, and increasingly rare? Curious how BEMI is accomplishing this, and where they are sourcing them from.

Also wondering if there are any other potentially rare parts in this new 'all-analog' Easel that prospective owners might want to keep spares of?

I talked to Jeff about this, and there are ways to sub the 726 with other components (my easel was like that, actually) without really changing the sound.
It's still up in the air, i believe, since it's really dependent on which version BEMI is going to keep true to... rev a and b had UA726 while rev c didn't.
Someone correct me if i am wrong.
(rick?)

A
blindoldfreak
anti_climacus wrote:
Hi Alessandro!

Do the preset cards function the same way as the old ones, such as having to solder transistors on the board? Thanks!

Yes!!!!

and this time there'll be plenty of spares for me to fuck up before i get it right! very happy about this.
dan_k
Alessandro, thanks for taking the time and energy to do this.
abendrot
So far I love everyting that they did, so nice. And leaving the programming
card the way it was is just amazing. That they added the arpeggiator
to the 218e if also good news.
Any idea if on the final version it will be posible to use the original rogan
knobs, like on the 297 without them covering the front panel drawings?

Oh and any idea how many programming crads will come with the Easel
and how much additional ones will be.

The closer to the original the better ( exept for the arpeggiator) thumbs up

Oh and you once wanted to buy a 258v from me and I forgot to write back
so sry for that. d'oh!

Happy to see you are involved in the new Music Easel.
Shasta Cults
I know of 3 "revs" of original 208.. there it the proto (like alessandro has) early models (like mine) and then the A version which i guess would be the 3rd revision... this is what the 208e is based on as far as i know, Don called me looking for this later revision and i hooked him up with one in the fall as a model for the 208e

for the rest of this text we will presume the proto is similar enough to an early model to call the revs EARLY and LATE or "A"

i would think there were 1 or 2 protos made (don tended to make 2) then a dozen or so early models followed but 12-20 of the later rev A making it the more common of the 3 variations

early and later revs are actually quite similar on all boards except the VCO cards... early revs used the UA726/DG200 not unlike the 258 where A versions switched to the AD811 & 821 which were also used in the 259..i am not sure but believe the wavefolder is different between the 2 revs but sound similar to my ears.. some supply lines were also dropped between revs as noted on the schematics

over production there were several resistor value updates, capacitor kludges to reduce noise and some trace updates between the early run and As

it should be noted that several (if not all) of the 208s that left the factory had a wrong resistor value stuffed in the Reverb section.. there are also some mods that reduce output/reverb driver noise..

the earliest 208 i've seen was dated 1973, the latest was july 1977 and was paired with a 221 and not a 218.
sascha.victoria
Not to belittle Alessandro's work because I rather enjoy it but I feel it should be pointed out that due to the amount of effects on that video he could really be using pretty much any synth. In fact there's another video of him using a Make Noise set up with similar results. The magic is in the user not the instrument.

gigasturtz wrote:
ps, this is the video that made me want a music easel, so thanks.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 1 of 12