MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

passive ringmod in guitars
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author passive ringmod in guitars
ex_dead_teenager
so I've had this idea but I don't know if it's worth trying because it would take me a lot of work but basically I want to know if it would be desirable to have a passive ringmod connected to the output jack on an electric guitar? you could control it with switches where one is an on/off switch and the next one toggles between which pickup is in which position (you'd need at least two pickups) I'm assuming that if it did work the sound wouldn't be very extreme more like a odd waveshaper than a real ring mod because even if one were to build a classic ringmod into the guitar the carrier and the program would be nearly identical only really different in the harmonic content of the pickups. you could maybe get slightly more augmented sounds by using two different sorts of pickups but maybe this is a stupid idea and hardly worth the time and effort it would require but I wanted to put it before my fellow wigglers and hear what you think who knows maybe it's not so stupid after all?
valis
So are you talking about having the carrier be one pickup and the modulator be another pickup? There might not be enough difference in the harmonic content to make it sound that different.

Also, I'm not sure the output level from the pickups would be great enough to give you a decent signal to noise ratio. You may need a little more umph to drive the passive ring mod.

Perhaps some sort of balanced modulator would be better. You could even do something like the Paia CA9 (see Anderton's EPfM) where you already have an oscillator built into the modulator..
Mood Organ
One way I think you could sort of test it out would be to take a clean guitar track and make 2 versions. Use EQ to approximate the differences in sound between the 2 pickups. Then ring mod em together and see if it sounds cool.
ex_dead_teenager
valis wrote:
So are you talking about having the carrier be one pickup and the modulator be another pickup? There might not be enough difference in the harmonic content to make it sound that different.

Also, I'm not sure the output level from the pickups would be great enough to give you a decent signal to noise ratio. You may need a little more umph to drive the passive ring mod.

Perhaps some sort of balanced modulator would be better. You could even do something like the Paia CA9 (see Anderton's EPfM) where you already have an oscillator built into the modulator..

Yah one pickup would be the carrier the other would be the modulator

as for using another oscillator, that's another idea I had, take something simple like an Atari Punk Circuit and use it to drive the device. that would probably create better sounds as it's been pointed out the two pickups might not be harmonically different enough on their own

it's all theory right now I may never actually try and apply it but it's been in the back of my mind for some time
Chrome Dinette
I have built 3 or 4 passive ring mod based pedals over the years, for friends of mine, and I think you will find that you need preamps for both the main signal and the carrier, if you are using guitar pickups as your sources.

For one thing, the impedance of the transformers used is not guitar friendly.

As for the effect of using more or less the same signal both for the main and the carrier, it is kind of neat, though you might be surprised that it isn't that different from normal, just slightly bigger sounding.
fluxmonkey
ken stone recently released a new ring mod PCB... with added buffers and a preamp to make it easier to use w/ lower-level signals... he also has a couple of stomp-box adapters that you can use his synth boards in conjunction w/ guitar signals...

b
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1