MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best rack for a Cwejman S1 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Best rack for a Cwejman S1 ?
digikal
Just bought an S1 s/h...
Need to find a rack or cast to house it....
Anyone got any experience ? Its an unusual size...
(Pref UK/Europe)
narwhal
Hey man,

I just used a basic desktop rack for mine. They're as little as a tenner.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/quik-lok-rs-10-10-space-table-to p-rack-stand--12536

does the job if its not going anywhere.
polytoxicommander
maybe something like this?
http://www.thomann.de/de/km_40900.htm
...still 3HE left for eurorack-module-expansion.
narwhal
digikal
Thx everyone for the replies..Looks like some nice options...
Narwhal, that TTA rack looks lovely..Did u ship from the States ?
(And you got the BLD which im desperately hunting for at the mo'..haha)
narwhal
i got these two from escape from noise but i think Rubadub in Glasgow have a few of the silver ones. they respond better to phone calls than emails.
digikal
N, Didnt realise it was two racks..???
I will call rubadub Monday.
(And if u wanna sell or swap yr BLD at any point im here !!! hahaha)
narwhal
ha, sorry- it just arrived yesterday and is defo a keeper. BTW. rubadub is open on a sunday if you are impatient. If it's in stock they ship quickly and free post.

Worth phoning post modular too. i think they sometimes have stock not listed. Also for the UK Ross Lamond is great to deal with and very friendly.

http://www.lamonddesign.co.uk/

A lot of tiptop stock is very down tho. I think new PS boards are in the works.
matttech
check this thread out i started recently (am in same boat as you.....came up with a temporary solution, but am not 100% happy with it, as it distances me from my modular too much)

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74881&highlight=cwej man

worth a look thumbs up
digikal
thx matt, what was the temporary solution you found ?

-----------------------------------
WTB cwejman BLD
stainers
I've noticed this come up a few times, it'd be great if people could post their individual solutions and get a repository going here. Plus I love looking at people's S1s in the wild.
Here's my simple solution, I think the format is the best ergonomic solution for this size, it's rough an ready though there are certainly plans to have a nice version made.

matttech
digikal wrote:
thx matt, what was the temporary solution you found ?

-----------------------------------
WTB cwejman BLD

...as you can see, it's a little bit far in front of the bulk of my euro system, which makes for some awkward leaning over. may well put it back on a vertical rack on top of the filing cabinet, but maybe over to the left rather than the right, so that it is near the main rack and i don't end up with cables draped all over my lap/ keyboard+mouse

the S1 is currently on top of a pull-out keyboard shelf, with the frame from another keyboard shelf sitting on top of the first one, so that it provide support for it, whilst also providing access to the rear sockets (apart from the balanced out, which is a shame)
matttech
wish you could still buy this rack:

m-m
Here is my little solution.
matttech
sweet!

am really struggling with my setup - just got too much gear for the space...and it’s the main bedroom, so i can’t really expand beyond the current space..
digikal
"wish you could still buy this rack:" ???
Which rack is the one in the pic..?
It does look perfect for the S1//
digikal
"wish you could still buy this rack:" ???
Which rack is the one in the pic..?
It does look perfect for the S1.
Diao
m-m wrote:
Here is my little solution.

I LOVE this setup. You have the Vermona TAI-4 in the beauty case to separate it from the rest of the modules and have it on it's own isolated power supply, which is a fantastic idea, and exactly what I plan to do as well.

I plan to have an A-100 mini-case with 2 of the TAI-4 and the passive Intellijel µAtt for my outputs, and then a second A-100 mini-case for my Expert Sleepers ES-4 + 3 gate expanders and 2 cv expanders, and then 2 Intellijel BuffMults. That way I have my incoming CV control in it's own isolated box, and I have my balanced outputs in their own isolated box as well. I was also contemplating getting the Erthenvar Lunchbox, but it is just 2hp shy of being able to fit 4 of the Vermona TAI-4 in it, which would have been perfect.

I really want something that has a super clean and strong power supply for the output modules, so maybe I should speak to Mr. Hinton about having a custom solution built. If anyone is going to get my the best clean power to my eurorack output modules, it is going to be him thumbs up

P.S. As much as I love the new pearl white for the Cwejman modules, I've not much a fan of it on the S1. With that said though, I do love the look of it in your setup. Pretty class, I must say Chugging Beers
dogoftears
Matttech, yr ergonomics are genius, i may copy/build on your layout in a near-future studio re-arrange (happens ever 3 months no matter what, i just accept it now instead of fighting it).
m-m
Diao wrote:
I LOVE this setup. You have the Vermona TAI-4 in the beauty case to separate it from the rest of the modules and have it on it's own isolated power supply, which is a fantastic idea, and exactly what I plan to do as well.

I plan to have an A-100 mini-case with 2 of the TAI-4 and the passive Intellijel µAtt for my outputs, and then a second A-100 mini-case for my Expert Sleepers ES-4 + 3 gate expanders and 2 cv expanders, and then 2 Intellijel BuffMults. That way I have my incoming CV control in it's own isolated box, and I have my balanced outputs in their own isolated box as well. I was also contemplating getting the Erthenvar Lunchbox, but it is just 2hp shy of being able to fit 4 of the Vermona TAI-4 in it, which would have been perfect.

I really want something that has a super clean and strong power supply for the output modules, so maybe I should speak to Mr. Hinton about having a custom solution built. If anyone is going to get my the best clean power to my eurorack output modules, it is going to be him thumbs up

P.S. As much as I love the new pearl white for the Cwejman modules, I've not much a fan of it on the S1. With that said though, I do love the look of it in your setup. Pretty class, I must say Chugging Beers

Thanks man w00t I'm fortunate enough to have everything in a studio. The ins and outs goes to a patch bay a few meters away so I wanted balanced connections. The TAI-4 is really clean, the LEDs are super useful and I prefer switches here instead of pots.

I'd love another though for inserting reverbs and stuff from other outboard and the DAW 8_)
narwhal

randomly came across this nice minimal solution. dunno how they accommodate the power and audio connections on the rear. Must be using 90 degree cables but it'll be a serious tight squeeze.
methodius
narwhal wrote:

Is this rack still available somewhere? would be perfect for my upcoming S1 ...
I would like to find a tabletop rack (preferably this kind of 'vertical / tilted') , with some room for eurorack modules. any suggestions?
sgventil
Where did you guys find S1´s for sale? i want one badly!!!
matttech
sgventil wrote:
Where did you guys find S1´s for sale? i want one badly!!!

Where are you based? Am considering selling mine actually. Its the latest version with cream coloured panel. Absolutely mint condition. Am in the uk

Pm if interested
sempervirent
I was going to drop my S1 into a 6U rack and make a passive 1U expander to bring the rear jacks to the front. I had the enclosure designed and was talking to someone about assembly and production. Ended up selling my S1 though. In retrospect I'd probably swap the jack converters for more attenuators and another set of multiples.

Larger pics:
http://i.imgur.com/n9oMJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/2Ta6C.png
plink
Easy to co-locate with Euro-racks:

DruidTek
It's not a desktop solution, but this studio rack trolley was super cheap and has been fantastic!

Eventually I'll move the Sherman to the lower rack and add another 3U of euro and a patchbay or utility module!

monads
I would check out the below. You can customize your colors, and choose wooden blank panels (minimum for the S1 is a 6-space). They're built very well and are perfect.

http://www.nice-racks.com/
matttech
narwhal wrote:

randomly came across this nice minimal solution. dunno how they accommodate the power and audio connections on the rear. Must be using 90 degree cables but it'll be a serious tight squeeze.

it does look tight. i put together a ghetto solution using an old rack tray for a mackie hard disk recorder, and used right angled power and audio cables etc... - it’s a tight fit, and mine looks to be further off the ground than the one above

monads
matttech wrote:
wish you could still buy this rack:

Has anyone tried to manufacture/replicate these S1 stands??? Seems perfect, I don't ever remember Cwejman officially releasing these but I would immediately purchase if available. Surprised no one has offered an S1 standalone case with sempervirent 1U expander built into the case.
Dogma
mine
monads
Dogma wrote:
mine

The image you mean? If that's your S1 can you maybe help other S1 owners providing details for similar S1 rack stands???
Dogma
monads wrote:
Dogma wrote:
mine

The image you mean? If that's your S1 can you maybe help other S1 owners providing details for similar S1 rack stands???

sorry i was being a dick. I was directly answering the OP question literally smile
monads
My friend and I prototyped these desktop S1 stands (machined 7075 tempered aircraft aluminum) taking specific measurements of the S1, angle position, and considering 1U options (Sempervirent’s design). It's basically a 5U with 1U on the bottom. Because of the S1 angle only 1Us without top/bottom flanges will fit. You could also leave the 1U open. Also made for the S1 are custom brackets since the originals were not proper 5U lengths. There's a plan to fix the height of the 5U to rack a 1U (limited to length of the stands 6") to account for the S1 angle position sometime in the future.

groovar
Awesome invention
monads
Also working on a 8U w/1U bottom version so stay tuned....
MoogProDG
monads wrote:
Also working on a 8U w/1U bottom version so stay tuned....

Now you have my attention... Mr. Green
DruidTek
They look really awesome monads! Do you have any plans for making a cheaper version? You could make a mould from that prototype and churn them out quite easily with resin, etc.
monads
DruidTek wrote:
They look really awesome monads! Do you have any plans for making a cheaper version? You could make a mould from that prototype and churn them out quite easily with resin, etc.

Thanks!! Yes, we realized the costs were too high and are looking into cheaper alternatives to make more affordable (the reason for editing my posting removing sales information). You bring up a good point about making a mould. What contributed to some of the high cost previously was the machine time/labor required to achieve the final product.
flipper16
Pretty sure this would be ok... thumbs up

I do like the 5U rack ears though, would definitely go for a pair of those.

monads
Yeah that would be OK hihi hihi hihi
Below is another very good option from Japan. The top/bottom blank panels can be removed making it a 5U! There's also an 6U (8U with panels removed) version!

Pro-Stand 3U
Pro-Stand 6U
nangu
monads wrote:
lThe top/bottom blank panels can be removed making it a 5U!

That doesn’t work quite as well as I expected it would. They got cute with the hole spacing, so it isn’t as flexible as it could have been. I was thinking that I could have larger gear hang off the edges a bit and maybe squeeze an extra 1U in. Nope- instead of evenly spaced holes, they used a 2-1 pattern with an extra single hole at the top and bottom. Here’s a Cirklon rack ear in the lowest position that still lets you use both holes:

It is built like a brick shithouse, though. And there’s enough play in the brackets where the feet meet the legs that you could have it perfectly conform to a table far more warped than mine before tightening up the Allen bolts, and it’d feel rock solid. No shims under the corners of this monster..
hadj
Any updates on these stands? Would love to get me some if possible smile

monads wrote:
My friend and I prototyped these desktop S1 stands (machined 7075 tempered aircraft aluminum) taking specific measurements of the S1, angle position, and considering 1U options (Sempervirent’s design). It's basically a 5U with 1U on the bottom. Because of the S1 angle only 1Us without top/bottom flanges will fit. You could also leave the 1U open. Also made for the S1 are custom brackets since the originals were not proper 5U lengths. There's a plan to fix the height of the 5U to rack a 1U (limited to length of the stands 6") to account for the S1 angle position sometime in the future.

monads
Unfortunately no updates at this time.
It's been shelved for now. waah
chiasticon
ran across this blog post on the subject. pretty elegant/simple/cheap/versatile solution. unfortunately, some of the Ikea products mentioned are no longer available...

http://www.audiocentralmagazine.com/farsi-un-supporto-con-pochi-euro/

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2