MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USING ARDCORE WITH MAX AND OR PROCESSING!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author USING ARDCORE WITH MAX AND OR PROCESSING!!
loss1234
I dont know how this never got posted....I am having trouble getting anything onto github since they update the git app.

so here is a simple sketch that I have been able to use to interface with Processing, with MAX and Max for Live. the details are vague as I was only involved in this a couple times and it was months ago. we even filmed a video showing it in action but that is being edited for later release.

it all revolves around FIRMATA which allows the Ardcore to talk to your software on your computer...it is cool because you can have LFOS, CVS, audio, and knob movements, change things in a max patch or on the processing screen.
loss1234
here it is!
lahebr
wow!
lahebr
Hi again!

Do you know where there is any more info on how to interface your sketch with e.g. Max? I found some stuff related to Firmata but not quite sure how to approach this.

/Lars
darwingrosse
lahebr wrote:
Hi again!

Do you know where there is any more info on how to interface your sketch with e.g. Max? I found some stuff related to Firmata but not quite sure how to approach this.

/Lars

I'll talk to Andrew about working on a quickie example of using Max with the ArdCore. The sorta-easy route is to use Maxuino with the Firmata sketch, although I find it often unnecessarily complicated. But let me see if we can't slap something together over the weekend.
lahebr
That would incredibly nice! Looking forward to this.
sync24
hi, are any examples going to appear?
i couldn't get the Arduino patch above to load into my Ardcore, but i managed to get it talking to MAX using Arduino2Max (as mentioned in this thread).

i just used the two analog inputs (not looked at the digital ones yet) on the ardcore.

thanks
darwingrosse
Flying crapskins, I forgot to post this stuff up...

I put together a simplified sketch for interface with Max - I call it "SACS" (for Simplified ArdCore Communications Sketch...), and it is totally focused on doing things with simply with an ArdCore (vs. the generalized Firmata hellhole).

So, attached is the SACS_Standard sketch, and a simple Max patch that shows it in use. You should be able to steal this for your own use...

I'm going to be doing some work at the Currents festival this summer, and I'm going to be using this sketch, along with some Max video programming, to do all of the visuals while I focus on playing the modular. Yay!
sync24
Thanks for this!!!
I'm really torn between keeping and selling my Ardcore...
if I can get round to making some nice MAX stuff to go with this, i can also avoid even the vaguest thoughts of modular video!!!
Dead Banana
sync24
Hello again,

this is great!
in limited time i have grasped the Data From Ardcore section and made a little test patch controlling some VERY basic video with CV going in to A2 and A3.

Next task is to patch something to use A0 and A1.
At this stage I feel like I want more analog inputs!

Not sure what to do with D0 and D1 though...

Thanks again thumbs up
loss1234
the ardcore expander adds two more analog inputs...mayebe that will help for use with Max?
lintfresh
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask...

Is there any way to port or adapt or translate (or something...) a Max patch to Arduino so that it can run on the Ardcore (or a DIY variation) without having to be attached to the computer?

I ask because I'm pretty good with Max/MSP but know nothing about "real" text-based programming, and I'd LOVE to have a module I could just load a max patch into and go.
sync24
lintfresh wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask...

Is there any way to port or adapt or translate (or something...) a Max patch to Arduino so that it can run on the Ardcore (or a DIY variation) without having to be attached to the computer?

I ask because I'm pretty good with Max/MSP but know nothing about "real" text-based programming, and I'd LOVE to have a module I could just load a max patch into and go.

mmm, that'd be good, but not that i know of :(
lintfresh
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I wonder if it would be possible to DIY a module that could natively run a Max patch... Maybe I'll start asking around in the DIY section. This is something I've been sort of pining after for a while.

hmmm.....
sync24
with a little bit of modification, are there no Ardcore patches kicking around that'll do what you want?
i personally have an aversion to code, but have been using MAX on and off since '99.
but, i don't think it'd be too great a leap for me to fiddle about with some arduino code if i set me mind to it... if i had more time on my hands i'd love to get into it.
lintfresh
Yeah, good points for sure. There seems to be a lot of cool stuff existing already.

Although, I'm mostly interested in doing audio processing, and more specifically multiband spectral and granulation stuff, of which there don't seem to be many sketches.

Another potential factor: It sounds like Ardcore doesn't handle audio too well. I'm not sure if it would be up to the task...

I'm allergic to code too...

Regardless, I'll still probably get an Ardcore at some point. Super cool module.
sync24
i think its audio is pretty low, 10bit or something...
it's great for loads of other stuff though thumbs up
i should use mine more...
elmegil
lintfresh wrote:
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I wonder if it would be possible to DIY a module that could natively run a Max patch... Maybe I'll start asking around in the DIY section. This is something I've been sort of pining after for a while.

hmmm.....

I'd start with a raspberry pi....

With DAC of course. Same as with an Arduino or a Teensy or....
thermionicjunky
darwingrosse wrote:

I put together a simplified sketch for interface with Max - I call it "SACS" (for Simplified ArdCore Communications Sketch...), and it is totally focused on doing things with simply with an ArdCore (vs. the generalized Firmata hellhole).

Thanks for this! I was given a Mega and had it sitting around for months not knowing what I wanted to do with it. I decided to make a USB-powered Max interface for when I don't want to haul around my modular system with the Expert Sleepers hardware, or for when I want to augment the 24-bit ADAT bus with 16 additional pots, buttons or sensors. Adapting the sketch for the Mega was as easy as changing a 4 to a 16.

For the output, I'm focusing on 8-bit shift register techniques inspired by the Gated Comparator and the Klee. This is great.
boramx
please pardon my naiveté, i don't have ardcore yet or experience coding for arduino.

is it possible to re-appropriate the digital outs on the expander for digital ins, in the way that this is possible with an arduino board?

i was thinking about a max patch i'd like to control that could use quite a few digital inputs....

the scketch would not require outputs at all, but rather would the modular controlling MAX/Jitter.

thanks!
Alwaysnew
Hi,

I can't get arduino.analogRead(3); or any other analogRead to send in any values into Processing. Did anyone here run into any issues that are known in this area?

EDIT: I got it fixed! This is what I did:

- Upload StandardFirmata (Examples > Firmata > StandardFirmata) to Ardcore (do this from the native app. I tried Sublime Text 3 with no luck)
- Add import org.firmata.*; to the top of the Processing file called Ardcore_W_Processing_Firmata.pde
- Try changing the number in brackets to find the right port:
arduino = new Arduino(this, Arduino.list()[5], 57600);
- Run Processing sketch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1