MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modules/system that compliments MAX/MSP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Modules/system that compliments MAX/MSP
Old Age
So I got MAX/MSP about two months ago, and it's become my main tool for music making. I have also started a eurorack system, but now I'm finding there are certain modules that I do not need now that I can build something similar or identical to it in max.

I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions/good ideas of modules that go well with max or perform functions that max would fall short of.

Thanks!
monstrinho
Well, the one obvious thing would be the Expert Sleepers ES-3 (and expansions, depending how large your modular is and whether you'll want to do CV -> MIDI etc). Apart from that, I guess it depends on what you're doing musically. You can do granular and wavetable stuff in Max, but do you need analog VCOs or VCFs? Maybe, maybe not depending on your musical objectives.
AsceticUnderground
snazzyfx ardcore is a good one to use with max as it can run firmata so you can send data back and forth which opens up a world of possibilities grin
DonKartofflo
addac vcc is predestined for use with max/msp!
AsceticUnderground
the vcc looks damn cool, it has to be said. Id be interested to know how much more complicated it is to program than the ardcore
sync24
i'm a code dyslexic but have an Ardcore gathering dust.
if i was using firmata (somehow...) how can i send stuff from MAX?
i like MAX hyper
rjungemann
The Addac VCC uses exactly the same software to program the chip as the Ardcore. In fact most Ardcore patches should just work with no modification, although it is possible you may need to change some pin number references in your code.

Re Firmata: You select your Arduino-compatible chip from a dropdown menu, then you can copy and paste the "Arduino2Max" example from the Arduino Playground site, then following the example, you can create simple objects that take numbers or spit out numbers. It's pretty simple, and there are a ton of examples on the above site.
stretta
I've been building this thing to teach with called Beap. It is another take on the idea of building a higher level patching system in max that emulates the functionality of a modular. The interesting thing, however is the signaling between modules emulates the 1v/oct standard, everything is audio rate (yes, gates, everything), so you can patch out anywhere from the software modular, out to a DC coupled audio interface, to your modular, and back again.

Relevant info is here:
http://github.com/stretta/BEAP

I want to flesh out the monome support more and make some videos before I publicly announce anything, but the modular part of it is totally functional and usable. If you want a calibrated 1v/oct output, the easiest place to start is with the 'control and analog oscillator' template in the examples file.

Matos
I'm on the train stretta, but that looks insanely awesome. Thanks for doing whatever it is your doing, because it looks grand.
narwhal
looks like a great project stretta.
sync24
rjungemann wrote:
Re Firmata: You select your Arduino-compatible chip from a dropdown menu, then you can copy and paste the "Arduino2Max" example from the Arduino Playground site, then following the example, you can create simple objects that take numbers or spit out numbers. It's pretty simple, and there are a ton of examples on the above site.

Thanks for this!!!
I almost sold my Ardcore the other week.... d'oh!
glad i didn't
AsceticUnderground
Wow stretta that looks great! Good to see some other max/msp heads on here grin
AsceticUnderground
oh sync24 check out this post by dan about the modified ardcore firmata
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77235

rjungemann - isnt there a lot more to the vcc though as it can do negative voltage, has 16-bit out instead of 8 etc..... that must add some complexity to the code even though its arduino based, i can see on the tutorial theres some includes etc.... though it does look pretty easy to pick up if you know arduino programming already
misa
stretta, that looks like a big deal! Excellent and thanks for the pre-announcement!
Leoespejo
Oh my friend don't think about it your friend is going to be ES-3 as is also my friend I have 2 of them wired to Max/MSP and also one ES-5 working also with Max, look at my youtube page and you'll find some videos using Max and Konkreet Performer and also Lemur for iPad.

And i would add Silent Way also is great with Max and ES-3 really are going to be your friends.
oootini
woah. BEAP looks pretty amazing!
shady smiles
+1 on BEAP.

Besides watching the github repo is there another way to listen for announcements?
defenestration
stretta wrote:
The interesting thing, however is the signaling between modules emulates the 1v/oct standard, everything is audio rate (yes, gates, everything), so you can patch out anywhere from the software modular, out to a DC coupled audio interface, to your modular, and back again.

with a complex inter-patch between computer and modular what sort of issues are there surrounding latency compensation/handling?
sync24
AsceticUnderground wrote:

thanks, this should be fun thumbs up
stretta
defenestration wrote:
stretta wrote:
The interesting thing, however is the signaling between modules emulates the 1v/oct standard, everything is audio rate (yes, gates, everything), so you can patch out anywhere from the software modular, out to a DC coupled audio interface, to your modular, and back again.

with a complex inter-patch between computer and modular what sort of issues are there surrounding latency compensation/handling?

I talk about this in the wiki a bit. Basically any transition back from the real world is going to involve latency. I've been pondering some latency compensation scheme to address this, but this basically means adding delay to everything else to compensate, which is fine for sequencers and such, but not so great for real time performance. Regardless, there is a Signal Delay module (fine resolution, no feedback, just delays a signal in time) that can be employed for latency compensation to line up signals.
boramx
A192 could control max.
DonKartofflo
AsceticUnderground wrote:

rjungemann - isnt there a lot more to the vcc though as it can do negative voltage, has 16-bit out instead of 8 etc..... that must add some complexity to the code even though its arduino based, i can see on the tutorial theres some includes etc.... though it does look pretty easy to pick up if you know arduino programming already

well the vcc has ten times more interface options, midi in out, ethernet capability, better resolution... (and it looks better hihi )
Also, a thing that is not to be underestimated: it comes with digital programs of three addac modules (complex random, lissajous curves, marble physics)
as well as complex, multi stage envelopes and complex clock syncable lfos.

If I wasn't such an imbecile in terms of coding, it would have been my very first module because it can be literally anything from an adsr over an effect send return unto a digital vco.

AND it is double the fun since it is dual and can run two programs at a time while the ardcore is single channel with far less inouts.
os
Resurrecting this thread for a cheeky cross-post:

Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
Waveformbakery
I'm hooked to the idea. Have to get Max now and start paying thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1