MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta & changing time signatures (feature request)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta & changing time signatures (feature request)
jonat8han
I'd love for the LFO sync & step sequencers to respond to host time signature changes a little better ...

Like, for example if you have a track that the first two bars are in 4/4, then on bar 3 it switches to 3/4 for the remainder of the piece, it's impossible to get a synced LFO to start on beat 1 of the 3/4 bars, since those first two bars have offset the pattern.

So, in addition to the sync values of note lengths, I'd love more arbitrary values like "one bar" - that would snap to bar start end, regardless of the length. So, like you could have a track that was changing signatures between 4/4, 7/8, 3/8, 2/4, etc etc, and have a ramp LFO snapped to one bar no matter what the time sig. was - that would be super useful. Or even a "reset with bar" checkbox would be OK ...

I know most people who use this stuff are making techno, which never ventures outside of 4/4 ... but ... yeah. just throwing it out there.

having a mode where the step sequencer length automatically conforms to bar length would be helpful as well ...
doctorvague
jonat8han wrote:
I'd love for the LFO sync & step sequencers to respond to host time signature changes a little better ...

Like, for example if you have a track that the first two bars are in 4/4, then on bar 3 it switches to 3/4 for the remainder of the piece, it's impossible to get a synced LFO to start on beat 1 of the 3/4 bars, since those first two bars have offset the pattern.

So, in addition to the sync values of note lengths, I'd love more arbitrary values like "one bar" - that would snap to bar start end, regardless of the length. So, like you could have a track that was changing signatures between 4/4, 7/8, 3/8, 2/4, etc etc, and have a ramp LFO snapped to one bar no matter what the time sig. was - that would be super useful. Or even a "reset with bar" checkbox would be OK ...

I know most people who use this stuff are making techno, which never ventures outside of 4/4 ... but ... yeah. just throwing it out there.

having a mode where the step sequencer length automatically conforms to bar length would be helpful as well ...

thumbs up
Those are good ideas. Please send them to MOTU. In the meantime you might want to check out a demo of Numerology since it handles these things real well and a whole lot more. You sound like a possible candidate for it from your post. You can route MIDI from Numerology to your DAW via the IAC bus and other ways and instantiate Volta in your DAW like you're probably already doing.

Please post a sample of what you're doing with Volta sometime.

Cheers
Phil
jonat8han
Thanks for the recommendation - I always thought of numerology being some hippy bug music crap that was irrelevant to the way I work (mostly due to the name, honestly) - but I can definitely see how beneficial re-wiring it to Logic would be ... seems like it would give me the best of both worlds.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1