MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noisecrusher | Patch ideas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Noisecrusher | Patch ideas
emergencyofstate
Hi, could you guys lay some patch ideas (centered around the noisecrusher) on me??

I have 2x quad sines, util vco, sv filter, env, delay, waveshaper, LPG

I feel how I felt when I sat down w/ a Serge for the first time.

zombie UNEDUMACATED.
pugix
Maybe my post will help a little.

http://pugix.com/synth/bugbrand-prc2b-noise-crusher/

The basic patch is similar to a VCO -> VCF patch, but using the PRC2B instead of a VCF. Patch a SYN2B sine to the PRC2B in (yellow), switch to select that input. Select Hi mode. Select internal clock. Listen to the output.

Now use CV from LFO, envelope, etc. on the SYN2B frequency and/or the PRC2B clock CV input. Play with all the settings. This will give you a sense of the kinds of sounds the PRC2B can make as a timber modulator. You are combining the two VCOs (external and internal) in a manner different from AM, FM, or ring modulation. You're sampling the first at the rate of the second. It has a distinctive sound. Try different waveforms on the input, too, by using your utility VCO (SYN2A?).
dogoftears
ive found the noisecrusher thus far to be an incredibly versatile module. i mainly got it for sample n hold and white noise, but it has turned out to have a lot more under the hood.

for example the oscillator sections sounds very fat and unique at audio rates, and it really restarts perfect when receiving pulses at the sync input. at CV rates the saw out when retriggered by a common clock is a cool thing to plug into filters and vca's. i also have had fun running it through the new quantizer and using it as a sort of clockable arpeggiator.
at audiorates the sync is very useful for writing tight basslines where you want every note to sound exactly the same. the last thing i thought is that i would use it for basslines!

i've definitely had a couple patches where the snh is externally clocked and doing one thing, the white noise is being used to do another thing, and the internal oscillator is used for yet another task. sort of amazing to get 3 such disparate outputs from 1FW. a part of my is considering replacing my SYN2A with another of these, though the SYN2A does have its own unique sonic palette.
emergencyofstate
pugix wrote:
Maybe my post will help a little.

http://pugix.com/synth/bugbrand-prc2b-noise-crusher/

Reading that put the whole thing in perspective, thanks!

Super versatile module, Agreed.
a scanner darkly
I wonder if interesting results could be obtained from using the noise output into the ext clock (or using a starved Weevil as a clock source).
emergencyofstate
a scanner darkly wrote:
I wonder if interesting results could be obtained from using the noise output into the ext clock (or using a starved Weevil as a clock source).

hmmm..... yes some thing stu--tt-ttery
a scanner darkly
Well it would be like a variable / random sample rate - could produce some interesting tones (or not - can't try it, don't have the NoiseCrusher yet...). Probably better to mix a stable clock with attenuated noise so the amount of randomness can be adjusted.
BugBrand
White-noise back in to FM input of the VCO section.
Sounds good too!
a scanner darkly
First play with the NoiseCrusher tonight. Very playable module, and seems to easily become the heart of a patch. The fact that you can play the clock oscillator makes for a lot of fun.

Here is a patch with SEQ1 controlling the pitch of the NoiseCrusher which is crushing a constant sine wave from the Quadrature oscillator. A couple of PT Delays involved as well... No other effects.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/the-noisecrusher-bugbrand[/s]
pas
a scanner darkly wrote:
First play with the NoiseCrusher tonight. Very playable module, and seems to easily become the heart of a patch. The fact that you can play the clock oscillator makes for a lot of fun.

Here is a patch with SEQ1 controlling the pitch of the NoiseCrusher which is crushing a constant sine wave from the Quadrature oscillator. A couple of PT Delays involved as well... No other effects.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/the-noisecrusher-bugbrand[/s]

That's terrific man, yum...want a noise crusher so badly...batch 2, where are you love ?
jenamu6
mmm gotta try some of these examples, cause it's by far my least favourite module.
BugBrand
jenamu6 wrote:
mmm gotta try some of these examples, cause it's by far my least favourite module.

Ah, but you're talking about the PRC2 rather than the new PRC2B.

I don't think the general world has even seen the NoiseCrusher?

Here & block diagram (shows how much is crammed in!)::

themanthatwasused
This has turned out to be a good thread idea. I want to open up a few more threads like this for the syn2bx, ctl2 etc.
Excited to try the suggestions above when I get my hands on the prc2b.
Thanks for the great module Tom!
themanthatwasused
fredguy- and then it stops
A great patch utilizing the Noisecrusher.
Patch is as follows:
fredguy wrote:

Convoluted patch for sure but I'll try based on inputs to the Outputs module....
Channel 1
Two SYN2b cross fm'd, one sequenced by SEQ1 the other static.
One output from each to DD1 modulator output to LPG pinged by SEQ1 gate A.
Channel 2
SV Filtered white noise from Noise Crusher through a vca opened by SEQ1X gate.
Channel 3
Balanced mod output from 1 -VCA opened by SEQ1 step 1 through a PT Delay.
Channel 4
Sequenced SYN2b from 1 through a wavefolder
Sequencer clocked with the LFO, resets from two channels of a weevil,
direction from weevil through logic and switches range from Noise Crusher
s/h. Noise crusher saw out modulates wavefolder, filtered noise frequency,
Weevil starvation and pt delay time.
Started with the LFO in low range then flipped it to high and let it run,
minimal tweaking. More fun with this patch later on tap for later.
fredguy
themanthatwasused wrote:
fredguy- and then it stops
A great patch utilizing the Noisecrusher.

Glad you liked it. Here's one where the noisecrusher provides all the sound.
Square out sequenced by SEQ1 and some filtered white noise gated by a
SEQ1X. A little PT delay just for fun.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguys/noise-crusher-fun-1[/s]
tragedybysyntax
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45347&start=40
2nd page, I just posted a soundcloud file that the entire patch is build around the noisecrusher. S/h duties as well as timing for the dividers which deviates from that point on. I'm in love with this thing.... still trying to figure it out tho wink
dogoftears
this module should just be called "Brains"

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dcoffset/aether-feather[/s]

Noiseclock interacts with LFO section of DD2 to produce this slowly evolving drone pattern... S/H used to change the notes... saw ramp used to modulate an accompanying SEM... white noise run through joystick as VCA to use as an aural cue for section changes... i forget what was opening the FM VCA, o well. ping SVF kick > wavefolder, dueling quadrature oscillators, etc. all bathed in beautiful eventide reverb w00t oh yeah and sidrassi shows up for a spliff in the middle
pas
dog, really nice! my kinda black magik there mate.

Noise crusher arrived just moments ago, I'll see what I can muster.
Tonight is devoted to the bugs, got a seq1 & a few other bits too!
KNYST
I like your drone, especially 1st and last sections.
Makes me think of some Russian dark ambient acts from the 90's.
dogoftears
thanks guys i forgot this isn't the one w/ the white noise sweeps seriously, i just don't get it but the rest of the description was accurate.

black magik... sweet. im on to something (very addicted to eventide fx right now!)

has any one tried the oscillator section at audiorate as a nice hard-sync osc? good fun.
a scanner darkly
Just catching up on my listening - great tracks guys!

Really enjoying the crushing part at the moment, I like how it's different from BugCrusher (was going to record a demo of them side by side but it seems doing demos with Bug is impossible, hand reaches for one cable... next... where did the time go?). I should try using NoiseCrusher osc as external clock for the BugCrusher and then pan them left and right...

This one is Quadrature Osc sequenced by SEQ1, going through NoiseCrusher, LPG, SV Filter and BugCrusher and then into 2 PT Delays. E350 is modulating everything. A bit of added effects (A/DA, Koma, Sherman).

[s]http://soundcloud.com/scannerdarkly/serenity[/s]

Edit: forgot to add, you can hear NoiseCrusher effect when I lower the oscillator frequency at around 2:15. The rest of the changes is from BugCrusher being modulated.
KNYST
A peculiar little tune you've made. I like it. I feel like drinking tea to this
eek! ... off to make some! Coffee Addiction FTW
a scanner darkly
Thank you, that's an interesting reaction! hihi as long as its not lolspew

I should've mentioned - the melody comes from SEQ1 with direction being controlled by one of the Weevil osc in LFO rate, great way to make it less repetitive without making it completely random...
otoskope
Beautiful. Agreed - it's great for tea! (It's a compliment - I'm a tea gourmet)

/Palle
emergencyofstate
Produced the little electro jam today while nursing the 4 sockets in my face where my wisdom teeth used to be.

Fairly simple 4 module patch featuring the noise crusher SQUARE OUT nanners

[s]http://soundcloud.com/emergencyofstate/house-full-of-bugs[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2