MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

200e manuals
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 200e manuals
revmutt
Are there PDF manuals for any of the 200e?
Despite the obvious joys of experimentation there is something is to be said for good reading/
ndkent
Not legally. The paper page or 2 on each module is quite preliminary and minimal.

It's probably more informative to go online and ask users "how do I do x" or "When I do Y I get Z, is that right?"
Malekko
sad banana
felix
I would paypal someone a blowjob to scan and post the manuals. Dinner at the Y
Lyonel
Could it be any problem if anybody post those ?
Is there anything that Mr Buchla has said about that ?
felix
Lyonel wrote:
Could it be any problem if anybody post those ?
Is there anything that Mr Buchla has said about that ?

It was mentioned to me (either via the list or someone in person) that they don't publish the manuals because they are not "fully complete" or "fully detailed" or something like that, which I always thought was kind of lame because if they are complete/detailed enough for the person who actually bought the module/system, then they are complete enough for me.

I have a feeling that they have a reluctancy to write manuals as they may feel it's a way of telling someone how a module should be used, potentially limiting the creative potential of the module by imposing some preconceived notion or limiting idea on the user. I take that into consideration when doing my video demos - I just try and describe the basic functions and then give a couple basic examples and let other decide how they could use it best. Obviously there's a middle ground somewhere.

In the end, I just want to read the manuals. Particularly for the 250e.
Lyonel
felix wrote:
if they are complete/detailed enough for the person who actually bought the module/system, then they are complete enough for me.

And for a lot of people whom could be interested by the acquisition of a Buchla.

felix wrote:
I have a feeling that they have a reluctancy to write manuals as they may feel it's a way of telling someone how a module should be used, potentially limiting the creative potential of the module by imposing some preconceived notion or limiting idea on the user..

Simple descriptions of functions... nothing more.
If there is one page by Module, it must be like that.
science
The user posted info on forums and the Buchla e-mailing lists is far more useful than the manuals. They're really minimal, and honestly don't give much more info than the module descriptions on the Buchla website.
prscrptn
Ezra has stated that Buchla has plans to post manuals on their web site, but I am sure that it is not a high priority. The manuals are very minimal and give about a page of information on each module...
alt-mode
Yup, the documentation is thin. I think part of the idea is for you to explore and discover it for yourself with your ears.

For the 250e, I corresponded with the firmware designer on some specific questions back in 2006. I can probably post those someplace. He gave me information on how to create nested loops and how the "jump" and "loop" values work.

I'll try to dig up the notes and post them in the next day or so.

Eric
Lyonel
alt-mode wrote:
For the 250e, I corresponded with the firmware designer on some specific questions back in 2006. I can probably post those someplace. He gave me information on how to create nested loops and how the "jump" and "loop" values work.

I'll try to dig up the notes and post them in the next day or so.

Eric

Thanks !
thumbs up
ndkent
With certain notable exceptions, almost all in the semi-modular patchable synth catagory, very few module makers even have a manual (Serge's Gold book is great but it's not a manual).

Doepfer seems to have been one of the first who was really serious imho and even they tend to release new modules first and do the manual later.

I can see why Buchla is intentionally not letting people download them. The preliminary state they are in will not lead to (m)any module sales so the extra questions and criticism he'd get and need to reply to would be counterproductive.

I am still frustrated that there is no good collected repository of module by module info that I know of. I've thought many times of detailing the wikipedia page but the brief an pedagogic structure of the whole entry makes it tough to weave in useful info. Not that the 200e page is devoid of useful info.
parasitk
Perhaps someone should set up a Egres/Serge-Fans type site for the Buchla folk... thumbs up
Lyonel
222e / 225e / 250e and perhaps 291e : that's the modules which seems to need in my opinion a deep and clear documentation.
But perhaps in front of them, it will be obvious and limpid.
Anyhow i love manuals ; That's my bedtime reading grin
confusional
Redacted.
xpander
before the conspiracies get too out of hand, the documentation makes perfect sense for a modular. you get a brief introduction to the 200e system and then documentation for each of the modules you purchased. while it doesn't strive to teach Electronic Music 101, the documentation is pretty good at telling you how the modules work. i'm actually grateful it doesn't have a bunch of handholding crap telling you how to use everything.

considering how much DIY stuff is around knocking-off the old 200 series, my guess is there's no giant urge on their part to post in-depth functional details of what he's currently selling. i had a pretty good idea of how everything worked before i read the documentation although the 250e is actually much more functional than i would have known just reading the blurb.

mythical 200e documentation:
Lyonel
Great xpander... but despite conspiracy, couldn't you post a closer picture...
i can't read !
xpander
Lyonel wrote:
Great xpander... but despite conspiracy, couldn't you post a closer picture...
i can't read !

hihi
cbm
My feeling is that while, in an ideal world, they would like to have better manuals, it hasn't really been enough of a priority to devote any resources to it.

The manual, as it stands, is closer to Don's initial instructions to the programmers of how the module should work than to an end-user manual.
zthee
cbm wrote:
The manual, as it stands, is closer to Don's initial instructions to the programmers of how the module should work than to an end-user manual.

Now that would be more interesting to read then a manual! hyper
ndkent
cbm wrote:
My feeling is that while, in an ideal world, they would like to have better manuals, it hasn't really been enough of a priority to devote any resources to it.

Yes, I agree with the first part.

I don't really see the connection to the second theory and what's in the manual pages. To me they read like a brief mention of what the knobs and i/o does section by section.
richardm123uk
Not a Manual but I found Allen Strange's book Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques and controls to be incredible. Buchla is mentioned a lot in examples (although it was written mid-70's.

It attracts a heavy price new but I downloaded a digital copy, printed it out and bound it (at work smile. First time I have ever bought a digital book (I am a sucker for 1st editions, antiquarian and nice bindings) and it was well worth it.

I purchased from McGraw Hill Primis Online.
don h
Miller Puckette has a great book availble as well, more or less focusing on PD as the instrument, but very completely covering many of the underlaying principles of synthesis. As an example, he'll do an excellent job of explaining the principle of waveshape.
The 266e almost wants a math textbook to describe, much better just to hear what it does.

Maybe a cool idea is for someone who has a nice ssystem to approach the manual idea from a web tutorial approach with audio/video?

The printed word only goes so far.
bwhittington
If you can track it down, David Romero of Earth Wind & Fire put together an instructional video that helped my understanding of the Buchla a lot:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-112020468.html

Cheers,
Brian
parasitk
bwhittington wrote:
If you can track it down, David Romero of Earth Wind & Fire put together an instructional video that helped my understanding of the Buchla a lot:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-112020468.html

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2