MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Made my first Buchla patch today
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Made my first Buchla patch today
dkcg
Unfortunately, the machine stayed at Noisebug.

I wanted to hate it.
I wanted to find it overrated.
I wanted to find it way overpriced.

Fuck....

I made a couple patches (wish I had recorded them for reference), only modules used were 2 or 3 261e's, quad gate, quad AR, system interface and the sequencer (I forget the name now). 6 or 7 modules, and I think it would take easily 3 times as many euro to even try to come close.

A LOT of what I've read Buchla users saying about using the 200e makes sense now.

Here's my thoughts on the 200e after patching for about 3 hours.

Fuck me....
parasitk
You forgot: MY ASS IS BLEEDING
dkcg
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I don't know to put up this banana nanners because it was a lot of fun patching and exploring the 261's FM.

Or to use this one sad banana because I felt like I had cheated on my euro when I got home.

Fuck I like banana cables a lot!!!!
ex_dead_teenager
banana cables are addictive I love my euro system but the first time I ever got into a room with a 200 it changed my life I dream about buchlas now. My only regret is my lack of patience and equivalent lack of disposable income if I pauperized myself I could probably get my system in a month or two... maybe... but it's be broke and savings-less with little furtniture and no other gear except an acoustic guitar and a very angry wife and family. As it is it will probably take a lot longer but I won't be broke and friendless doing it. (just friendless once I dive into the 200e and refuse to leave my house without it hihi )

don't feel too much like you cheated on your system man I've seen your vids and you have a sweet setup if you put your mind to it you could probably rig up something equally satisfying right at home, (fwiw I think you already have) Also you could just strip to the essentials and sell the rest of your synth to get a 200e at least you could always take a trip to B&A or Noisebug and pick it up I'll have to deal with international customs and postal services. If I lived in LA I'd be out in Pomona as often as I could get there to spend quality time with the 200e
don h
You can make the Euro work, especially if it's not the digital extras that you
are going after. It's mostly approach I think. Probably just get a few more mults and cv mixers, maybe some vca than you might think necessary.
The 154/155 combo or maybe 2 154 with 4 155 should come close to match or exceed. A Plan B model 15, or Livewire AFG or the Zero, they're all really good. Can't recall the number, the 147 complex envelope compares very well, I don't think anyone should feel down on their Euro.

You did see that at least in the 200e's corner, much of the cost talk is less
meaningful as an individual module often is so highly dense and efficient.

But again, I believe any system can be made to work, maybe use your exposure to the 200e as a focus, see how you can counter with your machine!
dkcg
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
banana cables are addictive I love my euro system but the first time I ever got into a room with a 200 it changed my life I dream about buchlas now.

Before yesterday, the craving for a Buchla was based almost entirely on what I thought it would be like. That ideal synth. Not even really real, just what I believed it was like to patch and make music on one. The audio jacks being 1/8" and CVs being banana makes more sense, but not if I think from how I patch my euro setup (which I still love dearly and feel like it could keep up with a Buchla to a point), and this is without even exploring the internal bus at all. The stacking of bananas, damn, I hate mults now. lol

ex_dead_teenager wrote:
If I lived in LA I'd be out in Pomona as often as I could get there to spend quality time with the 200e

It's about and hour drive with two heavy patches of traffic (every time I've been out there). And it was like 100 degrees, My old car was starting to be questionable about making it, and had no AC ($1000 to fix), broken power window, and a crackhead had stolen my stereo faceplate, not a good 100 degree drive out to pomona kinda car. Funny thing is I spent about as much on a new car as I would love to on a Buchla. Antonio joked about trading the car for the Buchla...I actually thought about it for a split second. lol
parasitk
dkcg wrote:
The stacking of bananas, damn, I hate mults now. lol

That's exactly what happened to me. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
dkcg
don h wrote:
You can make the Euro work, especially if it's not the digital extras that you
are going after. It's mostly approach I think. Probably just get a few more mults and cv mixers, maybe some vca than you might think necessary.
The 154/155 combo or maybe 2 154 with 4 155 should come close to match or exceed. A Plan B model 15, or Livewire AFG or the Zero, they're all really good. Can't recall the number, the 147 complex envelope compares very well, I don't think anyone should feel down on their Euro.

You did see that at least in the 200e's corner, much of the cost talk is less
meaningful as an individual module often is so highly dense and efficient.

But again, I believe any system can be made to work, maybe use your exposure to the 200e as a focus, see how you can counter with your machine!

Playing with the 200e won't change my euro patching much, I didn't dive in very deep at all, more like up to my ankles. The oscillators and the banana way of patching were the coolest things. I don't see how to make some of those sounds the 261e was making on a euro system. And the system interface was as sexy to use as I thought it might be.
cbm
dkcg wrote:
I don't see how to make some of those sounds the 261e was making on a euro system.

To get into the same ballpark as a 261e sound in euro, you will need a pair of oscillators that track well together and do good linear FM, something like the original Doepfer 137 wave multiplier (or some other wave folding processor), a handful of VCAs, s VC waveshaper or two, probably some sort of CV processing module, and a lot of patchcords. This will, of course, naver sound the same, but it can at least get some of the same family of sounds.

Achieving the tight integration and usability of the 261e is another matter. When you start assembling & patching the Euro modules needed to try and emulate the 261e, you really start to appreciate just how much stuff is right under your fingertips in a highly-playable package when using a 261e.
dkcg
cbm wrote:
Achieving the tight integration and usability of the 261e is another matter. When you start assembling & patching the Euro modules needed to try and emulate the 261e, you really start to appreciate just how much stuff is right under your fingertips in a highly-playable package when using a 261e.

That was one of the things that made it extra nice. The oscillators were very impressive and felt very cohesive, one module doing the job of at the least, 3 euro modules.
sanders
dkcg wrote:
Unfortunately, the machine stayed at Noisebug.

I wanted to hate it.
I wanted to find it overrated.
I wanted to find it way overpriced.

The only thing that seems overpriced to me about the 200e is the cabinet. I just can't understand what it is about the cabinet that could justify a $2000 price tag. 4 wooden panels, 3 aluminum boats, 3 distribution PCBs, and a DC Convertor PS-- this is maybe $300 of materials?
cbm
sanders wrote:
The only thing that seems overpriced to me about the 200e is the cabinet. I just can't understand what it is about the cabinet that could justify a $2000 price tag. 4 wooden panels, 3 aluminum boats, 3 distribution PCBs, and a DC Convertor PS-- this is maybe $300 of materials?

Priced DC-DC convertors lately? There's almost $300 cost in the power supply section alone. Three DC-DC convertors (one each for -15 v.+ 15 v and + 5, and one really beefy 12 v line lump power supply.

The boats themselves are not all the same. In addition to being tapped for the modules to screw in, each boat has different little cut-outs to accommodate various things. Painted and delivered, I would guess that these might be pushing $100 each, at the volumes that Buchla & Associates orders. (just a guess)

There are two different styles of power distribution board, the middle boat holds one that has the power supplies and power switch, and the top and bottom boat have simpler passive distribution boards.

The wood is some flavor of nice hardwood, carefully routed for the between-boat internal wiring, all of which costs. Then there's the cost of the LED gooseneck lamps, which are not cheap, and all the hardware that goes into it. Finally,the cabinet can be challenging to put together.

It's expensive, but I don't think it's all that overpriced.
prscrptn
cbm wrote:
It's expensive, but I don't think it's all that overpriced.

Agreed...
sanders
cbm wrote:

Priced DC-DC convertors lately? There's almost $300 cost in the power supply section alone. Three DC-DC convertors (one each for -15 v.+ 15 v and + 5, and one really beefy 12 v line lump power supply.

Yeah, I forgot that there were 3 convertors in the PS, but still, that's maybe $500 in materials total. Seems to me that the cabs shouldn't be more than $1000 after mark-up. Whatever. No one's forcing me to buy one.

Incidentally, that is a really nice line-lump. Do you happen to also know the part number for the barrel connector that this line-lump connects to? I'd like to use a line-lump like this for my DIY PS.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1