MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

vintage-style patchcords - collective order?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author vintage-style patchcords - collective order?
monofon
I have been searching for these vintage patchcords for quite a while:

Photo

However, I would take them with light gray cables and red plugs. Club of the Knobs used to offer them (see website), but seem to no longer sell them.

I've now contacted Switchcraft (the original manufacturer) in the US and got a quote from their german distributor. The price would be 11,00 EUR per cable (regardless of length) including shipping within Germany, which is quite a lot, but I still would like to make the deal. The only catch: the minimum order quantity is 100 pieces per length. The offer is valid until the 8th of March. The delivery time is specified as 8-10 weeks.

I'd be interested in 10 pieces in lengths of 30, 60 and 90 cm. Is there anyone interested in joining for a collective order?

I think this makes no sense for US wigglers, because for them it would propably be cheaper to order directly from Switchcraft than re-importing from Germany...

I'm looking forward to your feedback!
LoveHertz
well quality patch cords are important to me too and I am always on the lookout for the ultimate or at least better ones than I have at a reasonable price. Havn't found one yet. Even if your market is for European modular users I would go back to that german distributer and re negotiate that deal. I think they are robbing you especially considering your intending on a bulk order plus the fact that they are all the same cost regardless of length. Even at half that price they are way too expensive shipping considered. even tho I can understand the appeal of a vintage style I have not seen this style before. They look kinda cool but I think I prefer good metal connectors even tho these regularly come loose. What I am wishing to find is some supple cable of a less bulky design than one usually finds that comes in a nice range of 8 or preferably 10 colors. So far the only stuff i see that is made by Canare (8 colors) however it is 4 core mic which will make the job of soldering patchcables a bit of a pain. But the OD is just a bit thinner that I like. Large bulky cables become a bigger problem when you have complex patches happening. For modular synth use there is more to a good patch cable than just a bit of wire and connectors which your average music store will not understand. Do you have the specs on the product you are looking at. Good luck with it.
Minimoog56
Also there is a minimum limit of posts required to sell on this forum.
fyvewytches
He's not selling, he is suggesting a group buy.
tongebirge
Yes and I am in if it works out.
The Cables would be in a Limited production of 300.
Psychlist1972
LoveHertz wrote:
I think they are robbing you especially considering you're intending on a bulk order plus the fact that they are all the same cost regardless of length.

I'm not saying these are a good deal (molded patch cords sell for around $3 on Amazon), but for thin cables like these, the cost of the cable is almost nothing. The real cost is in the connectors and the labor/machinery required to assemble them. These look injection molded or formed and possibly not shielded.

I'd buy one of those and test the shielding/ground if I were you. If they're not shielded, you may run into problems with some modules which don't have grounded jacks.

I've found the dotcom cables to be extremely well made and repairable. The only advantage I see to cables like those shown here is they are thin and light, so not as in your way as others, and they look like vintage cables. That may be enough of a benefit for some folks.

Pete
sduck
These kind?

11 euro is 14.66$ US dollars at curent rates. That's a cheapo molded plastic, unrepairable cable housing. Vintage rat shack perhaps, but not a vintage type that anyone should be using for every day patching. Way too expensive.

Look, here's a pack of 6 patch cords, with repairable housings, for about twice the price of one of those - http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Patch-Cable-Cords/dp/B002911FNO/ref=pd _sim_e_8 - I've bought a bunch of these in different lengths, and they work great.

And I agree, while a group buy is not technically a B/S/T type thing, here's a low post count wiggler who's interested in taking the money of a bunch of wigglers and send them stuff - I'd be leery of this.
Psychlist1972
@sduck

In case anyone is considering them, I've used those GLS patch cords for a number of things, mostly audio on my rack. They're not quite as well made as the dotcom ones, but close enough. They've worked really well even for patching.

Pete
JohnLRice
Just my opinion for what it's worth: Monofon has been a YouTube and Wiggler friend/acquaintance for quite a while, has a gorgeous COTK+Moon modular and makes beautiful sounding and looking videos. love I've never had any business dealings with him but if I was interested in this deal I'd probably jump in. thumbs up

AnalogBastard
Have to agree with John..I've corresponded with the OP in regard to this via PM.. He actually discouraged me as it would be too expensive a proposition for anyone in the US due to shipping charges etc. He was very frank and helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him, he sounds very sincere and wasn't asking for my Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
I was looking at the link sduck posted on the GLS cables and i noticed the links for Seismic Audio cables! eek! Only slightly thinner than the GLS (21 gauge vs 22) but much cheaper!

8 black 3 foot cables for only $27! They have lots of sizes and colors too (colored cables are a little more costly)
http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/8-Pack-of-3-Foot-TS-to-TS-Black-Pa tch-Cable-p/sastsx-3black-8pk.htm
CZ Rider
sduck wrote:
That's a cheapo molded plastic, unrepairable cable housing.

I know those Switchcraft look cheap, but they are very reliable. A least the way they made them in the 70's. Moog started using those Switchcraft overmolded type in the early 70's. I still have the set that came with an 1130 percussion controller from 1974. Almost 40 years old and they still work great and have seen quite a bit of abuse.

Moog used ones with red, white, black, and grey ends, and supplied these with their professional modular systems and vocoder. Buchla still uses these today in .141 tini-plugs, and they too, are expensive.
In the 60's Moog would roll thier own patch cables with Switchcraft ends and Belden 8421 cable. Those were a little heavier, and I guess Moog decided to farm out the work, when they went with the Switchcraft molded ones. Here is an original in house made set from 1969.

Funny story about those heavier 60's Moog patch cords. I have an old Moog 950 keyboard from a university that saw some heavy use. I noticed the keys had hundreds of these little pock marks in them. Like someone fired a shot gun at it? Then it dawned on me that these were marks from tearing the patch cords out and letting them fall on the plastic keys. LOL!
So those lighter and reliable Switchcraft molded ones would be nice.
Nice ones were the original Polyfusion cords. Had large plastic molded barrels with Polyfusion logo.
AnalogBastard
CZ Rider thumbs up I had those switchcraft cables red & grey when I owned a moog modular system many years ago..Those cables I remember were more reliable than the moog nuts I'd love to find a set of them again...
monofon
I can really understand, that some people here are leery of me. This is about a lot of money.

But I do not want to sell anything, I am just looking for some people to join in a group buy, because I want those cables so badly myself. I knew that there would be little interest because of the price, but I wanted to give it a try...

Anyway, thanks for your comments! love
Mark11Audio
monofon wrote:
I have been searching for these vintage patchcords for quite a while:

Photo

However, I would take them with light gray cables and red plugs. Club of the Knobs used to offer them (see website), but seem to no longer sell them.

I've now contacted Switchcraft (the original manufacturer) in the US and got a quote from their german distributor. The price would be 11,00 EUR per cable (regardless of length) including shipping within Germany, which is quite a lot, but I still would like to make the deal. The only catch: the minimum order quantity is 100 pieces per length. The offer is valid until the 8th of March. The delivery time is specified as 8-10 weeks.

I'd be interested in 10 pieces in lengths of 30, 60 and 90 cm. Is there anyone interested in joining for a collective order?

I think this makes no sense for US wigglers, because for them it would propably be cheaper to order directly from Switchcraft than re-importing from Germany...

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

I have emailed Switchcraft here in the USA, and have inquired about the availability to buy these, price break, minimum ordering, customization, cable colors, molded ends and custom coloring... I will post when they respond... I too would like to get the originals like I had with my Moog system 35 back in the 80's... I sent Switchcraft this picture for example... from COTK website...

Regards, Mark

applause applause applause applause applause applause applause

Henfield
Mark11Audio wrote:

I have emailed Switchcraft here in the USA, and have inquired about the availability to buy these, price break, minimum ordering, customization, cable colors, molded ends and custom coloring... I will post when they respond... I too would like to get the originals like I had with my Moog system 35 back in the 80's... I sent Switchcraft this picture for example... from COTK website...

Regards, Mark

I would be interested in a USA group buy of these cables as well!
VinceL
Psychlist1972 wrote:
@sduck

In case anyone is considering them, I've used those GLS patch cords for a number of things, mostly audio on my rack. They're not quite as well made as the dotcom ones, but close enough. They've worked really well even for patching.

Pete

I also have many of the GLS cables. I buy them in the multi-color sets to make it easier to trace patches. I also buy their 1/4" plugs and make custom length cables. 6" and 18" cables are very handy. thumbs up

The GLS cables are much more flexible than the Dotcom cables. They droop rather than stick straight out (insert sexual reference here screaming goo yo ). And, they don't stay curved like the Dotcom cables. I have a bunch of the 12" Dotcom cables that are permanently curved. Great when in use, but a pain when hanging in my cable tree.
Audiohub
I would as well.
I imagine that people will jump in as before saying that these are just cheapo molded cables, why not use these instead, etc, etc.

These are actually very good cables, and it will be interesting to find out what they would cost nowadays. I've had a small set that I've used for the last 30 years, and not one has failed.

I'll be watching this thread with interest...thanks for getting the ball rolling, Mark11!
robotmakers
I'm in the market for a set of cables, and would probably go for about 20 of these if they became available (in the US). My backup plan is to go for the "all orange" of Analog Craftsman for the Halloween look:

http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=patch-cable#tab-description

Just because.

Cheers,
Roger
robotmakers
And just for the record, these are the Switchcraft details:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Switchcraft%20PDFs/05Ax05X_ Dwg.PDF

If you put in the code for a 2 foot cable (05AD05X), the price that comes back from Digikey is $22. Each. Minimum 10 cables.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=05AD05X

Ouch.

Cheers,
Roger
AnalogBastard
I'd still be interested in these thumbs up
Mark11Audio
robotmakers wrote:
And just for the record, these are the Switchcraft details:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Switchcraft%20PDFs/05Ax05X_ Dwg.PDF

If you put in the code for a 2 foot cable (05AD05X), the price that comes back from Digikey is $22. Each. Minimum 10 cables.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=05AD05X

Ouch.

Cheers,
Roger

Actually quite a bit high, but that's for [1] cable right? I am not going to jump to any conclusions just yet, I am hoping that there is a much bigger price point break at say 1000 pieces in total... I asked all of those questions when I contacted sales at Switchcraft. I am still waiting to hear back from them... so until they come back with some information... I remain hopeful. thumbs up

Thanks Roger for finding the .pdf of the actual cable... that's awesome, all the details are right there, including all possible lengths... applause thumbs up

Mark
Henfield
Any News on the USA front for Group order from Switchcraft?
Mark11Audio
Henfield wrote:
Any News on the USA front for Group order from Switchcraft?

I emailed the company with a very detailed letter of intent to order and asked specifics as to breakdown for large order (or what I considered large) 5000 & 10,000 pieces...

Not one peep out of them... as someone else mentioned, I may have to follow up with a phone call... but if they're asking $22.00 USD per 2' ft. cable... we'll be done right quick... very frustrating

Will let you know "IF" I find out anything at all...

Mark very frustrating
tongebirge
One Seller on eBay Germany has listed some.
I bought 21 pieces Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3