MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone interested in temporary trading gear?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Anyone interested in temporary trading gear?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
So I heard through the grape vine that my dad is trading cars with a friend of his for the day. It got me thinking that we could do this! Trade modules, effects, synths...whatever people are willing to trade!

Is anyone interested in this?

I hope this doesnt turn into a clusterfuck. hihi
johnnymad
i've thought about this too. it would be great to trade for another module that you're interested in buying. kind of like a test drive.
syncretism
I've tried halfheartedly to get something like this going on AH and other fora, but the idea never caught on. Heck, I've offered synths to two users here, but they were too preoccupied with real-life business to take the kit. I hope I'm never that busy wink
John Nonjohn
NO!

The last time I let someone borrow something (a measly mic stand), I didn’t get it back.
Loss of $50!

Same goes for my Kraftwerk CD! Loss of $12.99!
Same with my NIN DVD! Loss of $25.99

Then, there was the time I let someone borrow my TG-33 with a home made wooden rack—came back with a bent rack ear (like how did that happen?). Same guy borrowed my “Whole Keyboard Catalogue” . . . you guessed it . . . came back cut in half; at least I got all the pages, so it’s still somewhat whole.

I work for a school where stuff constantly breaks—bent up mic stands that would really take some thought and major effort to bend like they end up getting bent. Like 1” steel, mic stand tubes bent to 15 degree angles—even a shot gun mic bent at 5 degrees! That’s some precision bending for a few, half-witted kids, straight out of high-school! I understand that accidents can happen, but this kind of broken stuff is not quite accidental!

The only time I was moderately successful in lending gear was when I rented a DAT deck to my good friend, but I made him sign an agreement that if the unit did not return in exactly the same condition upon rental reception, that he would have to pay $300 to replace it! The unit came back fine, with nary a scratch, but my friend doesn’t rent from me anymore! I wonder why? +$25.00, but I’m not going to replace the NIN DVD!

If you can’t afford to buy it, how are you going to afford to replace it when you break it or steal it!

I really wish things would and could work out differently—like people treating others and others’ stuff like they, themselves, would treat themselves, others, and their own stuff--or something like that! I need another drink, so I can bash my gear upside the head, just like I'm bashing in my own head!

So, again, no thanks!
science
If I had "good friends" who I couldn't trust enough that I didn't have to have them sign legal agreements when I let them borrow things, I'd be rethinking who my friends really are.

I'd never do a swap thing over the internet with people I had never met. Half of the manufacturers in this industry can't get their shit together... it's pathetic - I can't imagine the BS that would go on between individuals.
syncretism
Well, you have to stick with people whose online reputations are worth more to them than a synth - Droolmaster0, Suit and Tie Guy, Muff, Mark Pulver et al.
Chuck E. Jesus
syncretism wrote:
Well, you have to stick with people whose online reputations are worth more to them than a synth - Droolmaster0, Suit and Tie Guy, Muff, Mark Pulver et al.

so then it's a popularity contest?

my concern would be stuff lost or damaged in shipping, and sometimes shit just stops working, so whose fault would it be?
syncretism
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
syncretism wrote:

That's a strange way to interpret that assertion.
Chuck E. Jesus
syncretism wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
syncretism wrote:

That's a strange way to interpret that assertion.

well, i thought your comment was odd...exactly how does one determines how another values their "online reputation"? so far all the deals i've had with people have turned out ok, but that doesn't mean i'd want to (temporarily) trade modules with them via shipping, too many things can go wrong...

let me put it another way: you don't know me, but the last thing i would want to do is screw you over because it's simply not cool, not because i'm concerned about my "online reputation"...
syncretism
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
let me put it another way: you don't know me, but the last thing i would want to do is screw you over because it's simply not cool, not because i'm concerned about my "online reputation"...

Well, I think your character can be reflected in that reputation. If it's someone I don't really 'know' in the internet's "We've been buying each other's kit for years" sense, then that reputation provides some assurance, or even recourse, if needed. Naturally, it's not a linear relationship or a straightforward decision, but I seem to have made the right ones so far. As always, YMMV.
Chuck E. Jesus
syncretism wrote:
Naturally, it's not a linear relationship or a straightforward decision, but I seem to have made the right ones so far. As always, YMMV.

same here w00t

tbh i've heard of only a few scammers over the years...
science
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:

Family comes first for me, which is why I only worry about what my warcraft wife thinks of me. She's the best thing that ever happened to me.
emergencyofstate
We're all operating within community of people who buy and sell modules to each other all the time. I've done some really cool trades recently too.

But if I have a module (or any piece of gear) that I'm willing to part with, I'm likely to consider putting it up for sale or permanent trade.

Here we go. Social experiment: I have a Roland R8 Drum Machine. Does anyone want to temp trade for something? lol SlayerBadger!
ill get things started, since I started it wink

modular wise, all doepfer unless otherwise noted.
-high end osc.
-tapped BBD
-spring reverb
-4096 stage BBD
-asys freq -> voltage converter
-frequency shifter
-working (holy shit!) plan B osc, first version.
-harvestman malgorithm
-wave multiplier
-asys synthi filter

effects
-metasonix TM1,2,3,6
-sherman filterbank 2
-frostwave resonator
-HHB radius fat man stereo compressor

my rules, when one person wants to trade things back we BOTH send our shit back! If it breaks while you have it, you pay for half the replacement and vice versa.

thats really it...

I really hope I dont regret doing this, some of those items are irreplaceable.
syncretism
Maybe you should keep that Plan B module at home...
science
Peter might want to borrow it... he promises to give it back.
emergencyofstate
syncretism wrote:
Maybe you should keep that Plan B module at home...

wow. A-noy-ing.
science wrote:
Peter might want to borrow it... he promises to give it back.

I lol'ed applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1