MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cwejman S1 - LEEEEAVVE IT OUT!!! (now with audio)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author cwejman S1 - LEEEEAVVE IT OUT!!! (now with audio)
matttech
hi all

just got myself RATHER over-excited playing around with the S1. trying to make it create havoc!

.....and it certainly does, if pushed in the right direction by a combination of:

S1 envelopes, self-triggered by the LFO - itself modulated to fuck by one side of the PEG

filter and main CV provided by a combination of a dementedly self-modulating / cross-modulating Maths and a dementedly self-modulating / cross-modulating PEG going through a modulated bitcrusher!

all going via an EHX Memory Boy DEluxe being modulated by the PEG

basically, it got nuts pretty quickly. am hoping to get this track wrapped up pretty soon, and then you can hear what i'm jizzing over fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...

i thought the S1 just sounded like Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. ...but now it's gone all Screaming Hand eyes... zombie zombie zombie zombie Cwejman!

(EDIT: here's the end results of said session: https://soundcloud.com/spitezoo-experimental-lab/the-chiming-coil )
chinard
well dont leave us hanging.

lets hear this mayhem SlayerBadger!
matttech
I'm on it! Just got to go out and get completely smashed at two of my mates' 40th birthdays, and then I'll be in tiptop form for completing the project

(Luckily I ALWAYS save multiple versions of the same track....you know, just in case it doesn't go quite to plan....)
matttech
In fact, thinking about it, about 90% of this track is done on the s1, so it could be. a really good thing for people who are thinking of buying one to check out.

The main parts are lovely bell-like fm sounds. You can do surprisingly good and musical tones, despite the lack of linear fm. I just use sines, fm them from the previous osc, use an envelope to control the level of the modulator (to make plucky fm shapes) and then sync the oscs together, with osc 1 providing the main non-fm'd pitch. Works really well, although obviously the sync makes the bell sounds less pure than they would be otherwise - still sounds fucking amazing though.....kind of "digital" sounding in a weird/ good kind of way - reminds me of the wavestation or something. Really "chiming"

Then there's a jam of the utter chaos mentioned earlier over the top of it all - so it's a pretty good overview of a wide range of sounds you can wring from it

My only real gripe with it is the lfo - it doesn't retrigger unless the lfo is in its positive phase, and the reset gate also gates the lfo's level on and off, which is not something I've come across before, and is of limited use. Obviously this is really a non-issue for me, as I have a load of other modules that can cover this aspect. Does make me lust after a d-lfo, as I'm guessing that is the absolute DADDY of lfos, and it has a load of different sync/ reset options. It's just the price that puts me off - every time I start looking into it I end up thinking "I could get two fully-featured oscs for this money!"

Is it REALLY worth the cash, or should I just but a rubicon? (Shit - where did THAT idea come from?? Somehow I've made myself think that that is an acceptable and "cheaper" option.......it DOES go down to lfo speed doesn't it?)
slow_riot
We should develop a system to power our modules from Mattech's enthusiasm. we're not worthy
DonaldCrunk
slow_riot wrote:
We should develop a system to power our modules from Mattech's enthusiasm. we're not worthy

hihi hihi SlayerBadger!
Entrainer
matttech wrote:
IDoes make me lust after a d-lfo, as I'm guessing that is the absolute DADDY of lfos, and it has a load of different sync/ reset options. It's just the price that puts me off - every time I start looking into it I end up thinking "I could get two fully-featured oscs for this money!"
Is it REALLY worth the cash, or should I just but a rubicon?

Dlfo is two full featured oscillators plus am and rm. Neat syncing, gating as
well. I'd go for it.
matttech
no....don’t say that! - tell me it’s way too expensive and overpriced...

have just found myself staring drunkenly at the rubicon actually, and am intrigued as to how well it might function as an lfo (although obviously it’d also be nice as an osc..)

it certainly seems to have a lot of my bugbears covered on paper (resets with options to rise or fall after resetting, pulses that start from the beginning of the pulse rather than half way through...that sort of thing.)

i kind of like the idea of the sub osc as a VERY slow lfo underneath the main wave, maybe triggering envelopes on maths to produced synced, smooth half-time lfos

hmmm.... hmmm.....
Umcorps
matttech wrote:

OK. "It's way too expensive and overpriced"

Except that its not. It's great value for what you get. It's probably the deepest oscillator this side of the Cyclebox. The sort of thing you can spend months exploring and still feel you're just scratching the surface. Sounds great too in a very pure and precise way.

I do hope that helped. thumbs up
matttech
Umcorps wrote:
matttech wrote:

Except that its not. It's great value for what you get. It's probably the deepest oscillator this side of the Cyclebox. The sort of thing you can spend months exploring and still feel you're just scratching the surface. Sounds great too in a very pure and precise way.

thanks for that (not)

are you talking about the Rubicon or the D-LFO now though? (i was actually referring to the D-LFO when i wrote the bit you quoted)
Umcorps
Ah! I was talking about the Rubicon. Probably misdirected by the WTB in your sig hihi

Can't help/hinder you with the D-LFO but it's Cwejman so hard to imagine it would be anything other than sublime.
jnlkrt
matttech wrote:

well, you know that i think you prolly don't need anything considering the wealth of you system, however... wink

...to 'not' be of any help: recently got the Rubicon to put it aside my DPO and Multifilter for full 4 operator analogue FM mayhem and more. gotta say this VCO is amazing. really well thought out interface and amazing depth of modulation. the FM sounds like nothing i've heard before and the symmetry control offers really interesting timbres. tracking and tuning are perfect.

that said.. shouldn't the S1 keep you in check for a while without lusting for more gear? smile
matttech
jnlkrt wrote:
matttech wrote:

well, you know that i think you prolly don't need anything considering the wealth of you system, however... wink

...to 'not' be of any help: recently got the Rubicon to put it aside my DPO and Multifilter for full 4 operator analogue FM mayhem and more. gotta say this VCO is amazing. really well thought out interface and amazing depth of modulation. the FM sounds like nothing i've heard before and the symmetry control offers really interesting timbres. tracking and tuning are perfect.

that said.. shouldn't the S1 keep you in check for a while without lusting for more gear? smile

NEVER!! - gearlust continues unabated!! zombie

just bought an a124 Wasp filter finally, and am loving it. also managed to pick up a Geiger Counter, which i've still not really got my head around yet if i'm honest. also got a harvestman Polivoks to compare to the Blue Lantern variation, but i actually prefer the Blue Lantern one - much more character and a wider range of tones. so it's all go in my household!

so how does the rubicon work alongside the DPO? (as the DPO has less of a reliable tracking range) - is it an issue when trying to do "musical"/ traditional fm stuff?

i'd REALLY like a decent LFO that resets PROPERLY, has a really wide range (from super slow to audio rate), and has a decent amount of depth to the FM range - that's one thing that annoys me about the Vulcan - the modulation is nowhere near deep enough. half the time you can barely notice it doing that much. still a great module though, with all the weird SUM/DIFF/MAX/MIN ins and outs...especially when you've paired it with the Mindmeld. really need to explore it more to be honest.

i may well just wait until the Doepfer VCS comes out, and that might actually cover me for cycling modulation sources - and that retriggers and goes up to audio rates....really looking forward to that one
Entrainer
Cwejman is tuned to work with Cwejman. Dlfo is a fantastic dual oscillator
that tracks 1v/oct up to 20kHz via the cv input. But I think I'd be looking
at an rg6 to expand an s1. Or both.

Haven't owned a Rubicon yet... I think this is the year of Intell, Hrvstmn MkII
and WMD combi system for me. 2nd cabinet.
causticlogic
DonaldCrunk wrote:
slow_riot wrote:

hihi hihi SlayerBadger!

You could power a wall of Metasonix with one mattamp.

He's like a modular-obsessed squirrel or something.
matttech
oh, you're all too kind! oops
matttech
well.....here's the results of a rather manic S1 session:

https://soundcloud.com/spitezoo-experimental-lab/the-chiming-coil

soundcloud blurb:

Well, I wanted to really see what kind of sounds I could wring out of my newly-acquired Cwejman S1 semi-modular synth.

All of the synth sounds in this come from the S1 - ranging from the nice bell-like tones of the two main parts to the utter chaos of the stuff near the end.

Some of it goes through the Makenoise Echophon, some through the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe with a load of modulation into its Expression Pedal input. All filtering is on the S1, apart from the two tracks of radio interference, which goes - as ever - into the z2040 LPF, with its gain nicely cranked up

Drums are all layered samples

bit long (as ever) , but has some cool bits in it. Mainly centers around two tracks recorded from the S1 - one from the Multimode filter, one from the Lowpass. Lots of FM and osc sync going on to create the bell-like sounds
waifl
Demented! love it.
D Bondi
Niiiiiiiiccceee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bananallama!
matttech
ta very much!

been in a bit of a modular trough recently, so i thought i'd tackle some ideas that have been lying around for a bit..and try to finish them off
Savage
I love the track! If something's in the atonal-outside-of-the-Western-twelve-tone-system realm, it has to be really good for me to just like it, and I love this! I love the way it evolves, and the dynamics are awesome!

Umcorps wrote:
matttech wrote:

Well, shit. Now you got me wanting one. And I'm in MU Land!
qu.one
That was a really nice recording. S1 :drool:
matttech
cheers chaps!

just had a couple of really grim, uninspired days at the modular, so it's nice to get some positive feedback thumbs up

gonna take a little break from it for a while and regroup
Navs
matttech wrote:
well.....here's the results of a rather manic S1 session

Smart! With a little less panning and compression, this is the sort of music the Future Sound of London might have been making if they hadn't gone all hippy.
matttech
i’m not sure all of that panning was intentional.......Logic started playing up in that regard at some points - esp. near the end. fuck knows what was going on

cheers anyway....need to find a way out of my current modular funk. sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2