MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta freezing Logic 8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta freezing Logic 8
science
I can't seem to get Volta to stop freezing Logic while it's scanning AUs during startup. Has anyone else had this happen?

Sitting here staring at a beachball of death with it trying to initialize Volta.
1nput0utput
Maybe it has something to do with this:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/why-does-volta-fail-logics-a u-validator
science
Wasn't that... I had already made sure I had the latest version and re-installed just to be sure. It finally started working randomly. Who knows what the deal was.
zerosum
Quote:
It finally started working randomly. Who knows what the deal was.

Damn computerthingamajigs...... hmmm.....
I have had similar situations where something wont work, then i go to show someone its not working and it starts working....
Their response: "dude what the hell you talking about it works fine." lol
bar|none
I have the same issue in Ableton Live 8. In fact it's chronic. Basically I can reproduce it to the following.

If I use an aggregated audio interface on OSX I get freezes and lockups when opening a set that Volta is in. Unfortunatly my setup involves 2 MOTU interfaces, and ultralite mk3 and an ultralite 828mkiii. One dedicated to Volta and one my main interface.

I have a hunch about this. Basically, the audio channel that Volta listens for calibration on is chosen separately from audio settings in Live. In fact, it does not see aggregated audio or what live sees but provides a separate list of audio interfaces probably connected directly in Volta.

Anyway...this is just a developers hunch, but I'm betting there is a conflict there.
doctorvague
bar|none wrote:
I have the same issue in Ableton Live 8. In fact it's chronic. Basically I can reproduce it to the following.

If I use an aggregated audio interface on OSX I get freezes and lockups when opening a set that Volta is in. Unfortunatly my setup involves 2 MOTU interfaces, and ultralite mk3 and an ultralite 828mkiii. One dedicated to Volta and one my main interface.

I have a hunch about this. Basically, the audio channel that Volta listens for calibration on is chosen separately from audio settings in Live. In fact, it does not see aggregated audio or what live sees but provides a separate list of audio interfaces probably connected directly in Volta.

Anyway...this is just a developers hunch, but I'm betting there is a conflict there.

I tried aggregate devices once. It was a nightmare. It eventually took down my whole system like a virus or something. This was on a G5 running Tiger. I had to wipe the machine and reinstall everything from the ground up. I've heard other stories besides mine. I use 2 interfaces but don't use aggregate devices and Live (and DP) can see both of them, but they are both on a PCI-424 card (a 2408 and a 24IO dedicated to Volta).
Can you try running them as separate devices, not using AD?
bar|none
>and Live (and DP) can see both of them
You can only select one in Ableton though right?

Ableton can only use one device at a time. This is why if you are spread across multiple interfaces, aggregate devices are the only option.

In my case I have my main audio interface AND a separate one just for volta. Also, I use soundflower for inter app audio. So that's actually 3 devices at once sometimes.
doctorvague
bar|none wrote:
>and Live (and DP) can see both of them
You can only select one in Ableton though right?

Ableton can only use one device at a time. This is why if you are spread across multiple interfaces, aggregate devices are the only option.

In my case I have my main audio interface AND a separate one just for volta. Also, I use soundflower for inter app audio. So that's actually 3 devices at once sometimes.

Live is seeing both of my interfaces but it must be because they're both on one PCI-424 card and Live sees that more like one big interface. One clue is that all the outputs of both are in one long list and also that you just select the 424 in the pulldown, you can't select the interfaces separately.

Gordon Cole
ah never mind, got it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1